PAST. YEAR 1992

Goodbye Days

 

PAST. YEAR 1992

Incheon, South Korea

 

 

Sheets of rain were pouring out all over the place, and it was hard to see through for it was really heavy. As usual, the busy streets of Incheon had turned into wet and emptied ways. Some of the people, whose homes were still few rides away, stopped by into mini-shops and bus stops and waited for the sun to come out. It seemed like time had stopped for a moment, and that these occupied ambiance of the city had lost its momentum temporarily.

 

I remember this day back then.

 

Amid what might happen to me, I went out of our old house, wearing a raincoat and a pair of boots. One of my hands clamped onto the 5000W I got from my mom’s wallet to buy her some noodles and delicious foods. Slowing the pace of my walk I sighed, thinking of her situation. She was sick again and here I was, trying to help in my own little ways.

 

“DongHae Bada, hurry up, okay? Go home as soon as you are finished buying them.” My mom told me before I had gone out. Her loving of full-of-concern voice echoed my head. This led me into thinking I wished I had lived a better life with her.

 

My mom was used to call me by that name, meaning the East Sea. Because for her, east is where the sun rises, and when it did, there is a new hope dawning on every heart of the people who can see its beauty. But other people call me by my birth name, which is DongHae. I was a little bit shorter for my age, which was 7, but I had been taught of being responsible. Especially to my mom, who has always been sick.

 

Our family consisted of my mom and I. I have no siblings. Dad had left us when I was still very young, and for some reason, I do not want to know more. Our financial state is mediocre, for the only source of income was my mom’s job at a coffee shop. Nevertheless, we were happily living in a remote area on Incheon.

 

As a kid, the time I was allowed to play was very limited. Not because I was given a curfew or because my mom was very strict, but because I wanted to take care of her. She was very prone to sickness.

 

 

 

I was running in the middle of the rain, looking for the nearest convenience store. But in this young age, I couldn’t help it but to let fear slowly creep along my body. I have been aware of few tales my mom used to tell me --- those stories about kids being kidnapped and sold as slaves for going outside alone. Ofcourse, if I kept on thinking about this, I knew I would become paranoid. But I needed to do this for my mom, so I could not let my fighting spirit die.

 

The rain was gradually becoming thick, and I wasn’t able to move quickly. The road has become wet and slippery, and it was tough for me to see even if I squint my eyes. I decided to keep track of the sidewalk, praying that I won’t be in any harm. I wanted to cry. I wanted to run back home. But what would I feed mom? Our cupboards had ran out of snacks and noodles.

 

But as I walked and walked, something got me stopping on my feet.

 

“Psssssssstt.” I heard. At first I didn’t mind it, thinking that it was meant for someone. Or maybe a sidicate. But as I took steps forward, it has become more continual. I opted to run. I could hear the sound of splashes my feet make whenever they would hit the drenched pavement.

 

“Psssssst!” It went again, but it grew louder. I finally stopped, catching my breath. Slowly, I turned behind and saw a girl who looked like we were on the same age. Our height was almost similar, but she her hair was tied in two pigtails. She also had that full bangs that almost covered her eyes. She was holding an umbrella while smiling and waving at me. Out of the blue, I was enraptured. She looked like an angel in the midst of the rain.

 

It was the first thing that came in my mind when I laid my eyes on her.

 

“Me?” I asked her, snapping out into reality. I pointed at myself to make sure, and she nodded. She approached me, and I wondered why.

 

“Do you want to play?” She asked, her smile not wearing off. Her voice was different – soothing. I could listen to her speak all day long. On the moment she asked me, I felt like I wanted to say yes. There was this urge to agree with everything she would say, like a magic spell. But I pinned in my mind that I needed to be back home.

 

“Next time, okay?” I told her while scratching the back of my head in dismay. I wanted to run away from her before I could even change my mind, but all at once, she held my hand.

 

“Don’t worry, I’m not a stranger. I am your neighbor, living on the house right beside yours. Recently, I had noticed that you looked gloomy because you cannot play outside… right?” She told me. I was surprised, but realized that these things she said might be transparent on me.

 

“Play with me, just for today, okay? I might not be able to do this again. I sneaked out.” She whispered. I couldn’t help it. It felt like it would be a huge disappointment if I won’t say yes.

 

I pondered. Maybe I could play really quick with her, then ask her for the nearest store and if she could come with him. I know that this might be one chance to finally have a friend who wouldn’t leave you if you weren’t consistent. Like those ones I had in school. Because I would often be at home for my mom, they would think I had left them. And then the next day, I would realize that I was alone again.

 

“Okay.” I sighed. “But let’s do it really quick, okay? My mom is sick.” I said, finally smiling. She smiled back.

 

“As long as you will be my playmate from today.” She replied. I took off my hood and felt my body being drenched quickly.

 

“How about a game of tag? Of course, it wouldn’t be thrilling with your umbrella and my raincoat.” I challenged her. She closed her umbrella.

 

“You’re it!” I shouted and ran.

 

“Hey, wait!”

 

And she chased after me. I could hear our giggles drowning in the sound of the rain,  but the happiness that I felt that time would always be engraved in my heart.