PAST. YEAR 1995. (10 Years Old)

Goodbye Days

 

PAST. YEAR 1995

 

 

 

Hae Ra. This was her name all along.

 

Ever since the moment I have met her, and up to this time, we were very good friends. Best of best friends, in fact. Finally, I had found someone who could be really understanding, and was still my friend the following days. We grew up together.

 

My mom passed away last year -- a really tragic and saddening unforseen event. Her heart condition worsened, and what was really annoying was we didn’t even know she had that disease. I refused to eat, play or even sleep. I wanted mom to stand up and be the one to comfort me. I wanted her to wake up from that lifeless body. But then, Hae Ra has done more comfort than some of my relatives who had come there. She said that there was this special place called ‘Heaven’, where all people who had been gone from earth shall go. She said it was hidden in clouds during morning, at behind stars on night. Because of this, I thought mom has always been watching me. So whenever I was sad, when Hae Ra isn’t anywhere, I talk to my mom.

 

I was left on the hands of my uncle Myung Soo, who has been helping my mom support me financially. From our house in Incheon, I moved out going to uncle’s house. It was not that far from ours, but it only meant that I wouldn’t be able to see Hae Ra every morning through the windows and wave a hand at her. We will only be able to see each other at school, where we go.

 

On the other hand, I knew our friendship wouldn’t stop there.

At school, we didn’t have many friends. We pretty much had secluded ourselves from the others, though I have some acquaintances.  But wasn’t it strange that she snuck out on a rainy day, ran after me, and chose me to be her friend? Why not other kids? I knew there was nothing special about me, but I have always wondered. And upon asking her this, she said she had enough of being jailed at home, and because I looked like I have the same situation as hers.

 

Hae Ra is an orphan. She had her grandfather as her guardian ever since she was young. It was because her parents were gone from a car accident when she was still a baby. From then, she became an introvert because of her strict grandfather. He thought that she would be gone from him if he let her go out of his sight. This was one of the reasons she would sneak out, and that she was dropped and picked up from school by him.

Hae Ra is quiet, and she had always liked telling me stories about fairytales back then. I had heard from her those stories about Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Princess and Pauper, Snow White, and Jack and the Beanstalk. Although I really have no interest about them, I believed in one thing I learned from some of them --- that life always have Happy Endings. I even believed that there were wolves, with sharp fangs and drools dropping from their mouths, prying and waiting for the right moment and opportunity to feast on me. That there were also beasts that can turn into human, and that along the deep forests live 7 dwarves. This was all because of her. I believed her, because she is my best friend.

 

I have always been comfortable around her. Even if uncle Myung Soo would scold me because I would be late to come home from playing with her, it would be alright for me. On times she snuck out, we played on her favorite place: the playground in the park. But with the approval of her grandfather, we would also play beside the lake behind her house or in uncle Myung Soo’s restaurant to eat. Truthfully, every place would be fine as long as she was with me. I wish I could just say this infront of her.

 

                                                                       

 

After the bell indicated dismissal, Hae Ra approached me as I was putting my things in my bag. We were inside the classroom.

 

“Dong Hae, are you free this afternoon?” She asked. She sat down on my desk while waiting for me to finish.

“Let me see… hmm… No. I have none. Where are we going this time?” I asked with a grin displayed on my face. I stood up and wore my backpack. She also stood up.

“I want to go somewhere. You want to come?” She whispered. Her smile was something so inviting.

“But your grandfather… he’s waiting outside. You might get in trouble this time.” I warned her.

“Don’t worry. It’s near by our house. You want to come?” She elbowed me lightly on my ribs.

“Alright!” She held my hand then we ran out of the classroom. I knew uncle is going to scold me again, because he wanted me to come home early and help out on the restaurant. But if it would be Hae Ra who would ask... I know just couldn’t say no.

 

***

 

 

“DongHae, if you drop here a lead and it floats, your wish would be granted. But if it sank, the opposite of your wish would happen.” Hae Ra whispered to me as we enter this temple-like building that looked like it was already abandoned. Inside this was a huge grotto, which have water flowing down to the river behind it.

 

“Where did you even know about this?” I asked her, sounding hesitant.

“My grandpa told me. He also said that this used to belong to a rich couple who wanted to keep the power all by themselves. After they died, some people knew about this, but no one dared to take over the land because this was rumored to be haunted.” She explained. I looked around, suddenly becoming aware of what she said.

 

“Haunted? But aren’t we trespassing?” I asked her.

“No. Besides, we’ll just be quick.” She took a step forward. I followed her.

 

Upon reaching the front of the grotto, she looked at me, faced me and held my hand. I looked straight into her eyes.

 

“Do you believe me?” She asked. I nodded, of course. I trust her.

 

She gave me a small leaf and glanced at the water gushing out towards the river. She let go of my hand and faced it again.

 

“Let’s wish, okay?” She uttered, with glee hinted on her voice. I smiled and bowed down. She bent down and got a leaf for her. We both held onto ours and closed out eyes, murmuring our soundless wishes.

 

I reflected. What do I want to wish for?...

 

 

 

And as I asked that unanswered question to myself, Hae Ra’s image popped up on my head.