Apartment Experiences

When Ace Wu Came To Life

 

Listen to: Stupid by Juniel ft. Yonghwa

Kris stepped out of the SM building and went to his parked car. He went inside and turned the engine on. He went for the long way back to his small apartment.

Yes, he has his own apartment. When he’s in Korea, he refuses to live with eleven other boys because his mind can’t take too much insanity. It was too soon because the thing with Ace entering his life, it was dead crazy.

But while driving, Kris had a happier disposition. He even took the long way back! This is a surprise because Kris usually is an impatient brat—guy.

He took notice how beautiful Seoul really is, that maybe he would move here soon permanently. He thought if this EXO thing was over, he’d settle down, marry a girl, and have a son or a daughter. It was the good life.

Kris snapped out of his deep thoughts when he halted his car due to the red light glowing in front of the street and realized, the thing that’s happening right now to him, it’s like things put on fast forward.

He does have a son now, a squishy, fluffy, adorable son.

And soon, he’d meet his son’s mother.

He never really thought about love, in his hectic career, he didn’t really get the chance. Not until a certain fluff ball appeared in his life and it came to life.

Kris had been wondering: why did the girl give Ace to him?

Does she know that Ace was capable of coming to life?

Was she a fan of Kris?

Did she like Kris that way?

Most importantly, when he does find her, how would she react to this?

Kris was now in front of the building where he lived in, he couldn’t wait to tell Ace the good news.

Kris had a skip to his step when he got out of the car and raced up the stairs.

It wasn’t an easy job since he lived on the sixth floor and the fact that the building doesn’t have a lift, well; let’s just say that Kris loses weight every time he goes up and down those flights of stairs.

Kris unlocked his door to his apartment and took off his coat and left it at the coatrack when he went inside.

“Ace! Daddy’s home! Ace Wu! Where are you? Ace!” Kris screamed from the small living room. He entered his bedroom to find Ace watching TV.

He sat down beside the small toy and nudged him a bit, grabbing his attention away from the screen.

“Ace, guess what? I just talked to my boss and he said he was going to help us find your mom!” Kris said while smiling at Ace.

“Really daddy? Wow! That’s great! We have a better chance at finding mom now!” Ace hugged his Dad’s neck; Kris smiled at Ace’s sudden gesture.

“Oh sorry, I didn’t mean to do that.” Ace’s wide smile was wiped away from his cottony face.

“Do what?” Kris asked in curiosity.

“Hug you. I’m sorry.”

“Why would you be sorry? You’re happy, I’m your dad, we hug, there’s nothing wrong with that.”

“Well, you’ve always been so hesitant in being my dad so I figured you didn’t want physical touches of affection. And also, I heard my mom talking about skinship the other day.”

“What? I’m not hesitant. I was just surprised. And you said your mom talked about skinship? What did she say? What did she look like? Her voice, was it high pitched or low?—“

“Dad, let me speak! No questions until the end of the narration okay?”

“Okay.” Kris huffed out. But he was excited to know more about the mystery girl.

“So I was placed on her desk as she wrote some things down on a red leather-bound notebook. Her long hair was tied up in a messy bun and she had glasses on. She was talking to someone on the phone that was on speaker.”

“Was she doing her homework?” Kris thought she was still a student, judging from what Ace told him so far.

“She told the guy, Jiro was his name, I think.”

“So she has a boyfriend?” Kris thought again while he let out a puff of air.

“She talked to him in Mandarin, she looked Korean but she spoke Chinese like a pro.”

Flashback

“Jiro, I’m writing one of my patient’s diagnoses, this better be good.”

“Oh it is babygirl.”

“What Jiro? Come on, I don’t have much time.”

“Calm your jigs girl. So I found this cat on the street, I named her Ling.”

“And, what does this have to do with me?”

“It’s something psychological! Look, long story short, my girlfriend wants me to get rid of it. I don’t know how because she’s been so close to me, and it seems that she’s getting closer to me every day.”

“Refresh my memory.” She put down her pen and closed her red notebook. “You named her right?”

“Yes, Ling.”

“And you’re always with her?”

“Yes. But how—“

“You’re close to her like, you really cuddle, hug, and some other stuff?”

“Yes but really, how—“

“Get rid of it.”

“What?! No! What kind of help are you?”

“Look, you want to lose a cat, or lose a girlfriend? Give me the cat if it worries you that she won’t be in a good home. I’d take care of her. I promise.”

“But it’s really hard; I can’t just give her away! Help me!”

“Look Jiro, you’ve grown attached to something when you give it a name, especially when you’ve had a lot of memories with it, and to top it off, physical contact. It’s skinship, as we call it in Korea. Just give me the cat tomorrow and I’ll bring her with me when I leave this country.”

“How do you even know that stuff? And you promise to be a good owner?”

“Jiro, I’m a licensed psychologist and I’ve been at the top class when I graduated. Do we have to go through this stuff again? And I’ll be a good owner. Ling can take part in my cosplays when I need a cat. And she can be a stress reliever when I come home from work.”

“How does that make you a good owner again?”

“Trust me. I have a soft spot for animals.”

“Thanks again Doc babygirl.”

“Drop it Jiro.”

“Okay. Bye! Off to a date with Fang and I’ll certainly miss you when you go back to Korea. Good luck though!”

“You too. You’ve been a good friend Jiro. Good luck with you and Fang!”

“By doctor babygirl.”

“I said drop it.”

“Some things will never change babygirl.”

“Okay now shut up, I have to return to my work.”

“Bye!”

End of flashback

So she’s a psychologist? Too bad Ace didn’t hear any names. Kris thought

“So that’s what mom said to the guy. You get attached. You shouldn’t really get attached to me, you’re going to give me to mom anyways so—“

“Look, I may be giving you up, but that doesn’t mean I’ll be forgetting you. You’re my son.” Kris patted Ace’s right paw.

“Thank you.” Ace smiled.

“Now, want to watch daddy dance on YouTube?” Kris said ruffling Ace’s fur.

“Oh goodie! I want to learn from daddy!” Ace jumped when he heard that.

“Okay, let’s watch.”

Kris and Ace watched a ton of EXO and EXO-M performances, MVs, and a load of teasers. Kris ate instant ramen for lunch and Ace tried to imitate some of the moves in the videos.

“Daddy! I want to become and EXO member!”

“Sure. You can replace Kai and Luhan as the visuals.”

“Yay! I’m Ace Wu, thirteenth member of EXO and visual of the group.” Ace stood up and said the statement with confidence and bowed down after. Kris applauded Ace.

“Now, I think I have a schedule tomorrow, mind if I check first Ace?”

“Sure daddy.” Kris opened a new tab and entered SMent’s website.

An announcement was placed in the homepage in big, bold letters.

‘Have you seen this girl? She’s not a trainee, not an idol, maybe a cosplayer. She’s just a regular person and EXO’s Kris is looking for her. No, she’s not his girlfriend. Just mail us when you’ve found her and you can two tickets to SMtown live in Seoul!’

“Is that, MOM?!” Ace gaped at the announcement he just read.

“Apparently, they’ve made your mom into a contest.” Kris cannot believe his eyes as well.

“If this is the faster way, I’ll approve. How about you, do you approve?”

“Well, I just want to find your mom that’s all.” Kris said to Ace.

“Okay. I’m going to watch TV first okay dad? You go check your schedules.” Ace reached for the remote on the nightstand.

“Okay kiddo. Just keep it down.”

Ace watched a few cartoons and switched to a drama show. The program ended.

The news aired and Ace was glued to the TV. He was especially interested when he found out there was a cosplay event tomorrow at Yeouido.

“Daddy, look there’s a cosplay event! Can we come? Please? It just reminds me of the toy store. Anime plushies kept me company on the empty shelves so I like anime so much! Please daddy?” Ace used the puppy dog, I mean, alpaca eyes on his dad.

Kris stared at Ace from his laptop. He saw those eyes and he knew he could never refuse. It was good timing because Kris had one last day off and it was tomorrow.

“Sure. We’ll go.” Kris turned off his laptop.

“Really daddy?” Ace asked his father.

“Of course. I’m not busy tomorrow. I could go with you.”

“Thank you.”

“Okay, let’s sleep son, we got a big day ahead of us! Now, let’s sleep. You sleep beside me.” Kris placed Ace beside him.

“Daddy, sing me a song.”

Listen to: Angel by EXO-M

“What song? I’m not really good at singing.”

“One of you songs.”

“Okay.

Dang wo cheng zuo zhe feng
Zai ni de shi jie jiang luo
Bai se de feng
Zai ni shen bian huan rao zhe

Ni wen wo lai zi na li
Xiao zhe hui da shi mi mi
Zhi yao shi ni he wo
Yi qi zou xia qu
Tian tang zai sui shi he sui di.”
Kris stopped his singing
 

So did you like my singing?” Kris asked Ace, but he got no response. He looked beside him to find the alpaca sound asleep, cuddling his right arm.

“Goodnight son.” Kris kissed Ace’s forehead. Ace looked so peaceful. And soon, he too was fast asleep.