Who Are You Trying to Kid...

Life As I Know It

 

I know what you’re probably thinking: This girl is falling way too fast.

But I’m not. At least I think so...

Spending that whole day with Kikwang yesterday was completely different from what I thought was a date with Joon. I have to admit, I’m still pretty ticked off about that misunderstanding at the mall with Joon. I know we weren’t on a date or anything, but it still hurt knowing that he couldn’t even tell me from the start. Did he perhaps know that if he told me he just needed someone to take the place of his girlfriend for a day I would definitely refuse to go with him? Maybe. But that’s the past now.

And to think...I thought for those few minutes that I would start liking the guy...

It was already pretty late in the afternoon, and I really didn’t feel like doing anything, so I just stayed at home, watching some of our old movies. As I was about to put in a new movie, someone knocked on the door.

“Hyosung, get the door!” my dad yelled from the basement.

“Ugh, really...” I grunted and stuffed a handful of popcorn in my mouth before getting up. When I opened the door, I nearly choked on my popcorn. “Joon...?”

“Hey,” he said, waving his hand. I looked over his shoulder and saw a petite girl giving me an awkward stare. I assumed it was his girlfriend.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, in a less friendly tone than usual.

“I came here to talk to you,” he replied. He took the girl’s hand and brought her in front of him. “This is my girlfriend, Jiyeon.”

“I see...” I said slowly. “...and?”

“Look, I think we had a bit of a misunderstanding yesterday,” he added.

“Heh, yeah, we kind of did,” I mumbled.

“It’s nice to meet you,” Jiyeon said, holding out her hand. I shook it lightly and smiled at her.

“I brought Jiyeon here to get an apology from you,” Joon said.

Did he just ask me to give her an apology? Was this guy bullting me?

“Excuse me?” I asked, still shocked about what I just heard.

“After finding out about what we did yesterday, Jiyeon got a bit hesitant and thought you were trying to take me away from her,” he explained. “She just wants an apology to make sure everything is okay.”

“An...apology?” I repeated. I switched my glance from Joon to Jiyeon, and I could see a smirk forming on her face. It’s these kinds of people that really make me hate the world.

“It’s nothing major,” he assured me. “Just say ‘sorry’ and we’ll be on our way.”

“You must be joking,” I chuckled. “What the hell did I do? And might I point out that you were the one who invited me to hang out.”

“You were, Joonie?” Jiyeon frowned, clinging onto his arm. Oh gosh, I wanted to gag. “You told me that she asked you to hang out.”

“Wow...” I scoffed. “And to think I almost...umm...never mind.”

“Can you please just apologize to Jiyeon?” Joon asked.

“Fine. I’m sorry...” I muttered. “...that you’re boyfriend is a gutless liar.”

“Yah!” Joon yelled. I just stood there with a smirk on my face. I really couldn’t believe this was happening. These people were completely ruining my afternoon.

“Kikwang was right,” I sighed. “I really thought we could have been friends, Joon. But clearly, you’re girlfriend has exclusive rights to you.”

“Ugh, this isn’t going as smoothly as I had planned,” Joon said in frustration. He reached into his pocket and took out a necklace with a silver teddy bear on it. Holding it in front of my face, he took a deep breath and said, “Take it.”

“I don’t want any consolation prize or pity gift,” I snapped. “You can’t buy everything you want. I’m not going to apologize for something that was, for one thing, not harmless to your relationship, and second of all, not the entire truth.”

“Will you just take the necklace?” Joon sighed. He reached for my hand, but I just pulled it back. This was such a stupid way to end my day.

“Stop being so childish,” Jiyeon scoffed.

“I’ll stop when you do,” I retorted. “How do you not realize that your boyfriend is a player?”

“Yah, I am not a player!” Joon protested.

“Not according to your best friend.”

“Kikwang?” he asked. “Ah, that idiot...”

“Yah, don’t talk about Kikwang like that!” I yelled.

“Why, is he like your new boyfriend or something?” Jiyeon asked, glaring at me.

“No,” I grunted. I really didn’t understand why she kept opening – it was pissing me off. “I hope that one day you will realize that girls and guys can be friends without dating each other.”

“Okay, this is getting way out of hand,” Joon interrupted. “Hyosung, can you just cooperate and take the damn necklace? I’m trying to be nice about this.”

“Really...” I chuckled, rolling my eyes. I was about to go back inside without a word, but Joon suddenly grabbed my hand with a lot more force than I would have expected. “YAH!”

“Why did you have to blow this out of proportion? We just needed an apology, damnit!” Joon yelled. He tried opening my clenched fist in order to slip the necklace in, but I wasn’t going to give in that easily. I could see Jiyeon from the side, on the verge of slapping me. To be honest, this whole thing was pretty entertaining.

“You want to slap me, don’t you?’ I taunted. “Go ahead.”

“You...you...” she muttered. I just wanted to laugh seeing her face redden.

“Right here, dear. It’s not very hard,” I smirked, pointing at my cheek.

And there it was – right across the face – a big slap.

Ripping my hand away from Joon’s grasp, I looked at the both of them and grinned.

“People like you...” I began. “...make me want to die early.” I didn’t bother going back inside, but instead, locked my front door and walked away from them. The burning sensation from that slap didn’t really bother me, as I was too focused on trying to reminisce on what just happened.

It was amazing...within just a few days, I managed to become infatuated with a guy, then suddenly fall out of infatuation, then become bored of him, then start liking him again, then start hating him after finding out that he’s a bigger douchebag than I thought Kikwang once was. Oh, life’s ironies are incredible.

I didn’t really know where I was going. I figured that taking a long walk would be the best way to calm myself down after what just happened. I eventually arrived at the park and decided to hang around the swing set for a little while before the sun would set.

“Hyosung!” I heard a voice call. Raising my head up, I saw Kikwang running towards me with a backpack and ‘take-out’ box.

“Hey,” I replied. “Did you just get off from work?”

“Yeah, I was going to bring some leftovers to Joon’s house, but then I saw you on the swings, and you looked pretty depressed from where I was standing.”

“I wouldn’t go over to Joon’s house unless you want to hang out with him and his pissed-off girlfriend,” I grunted.

“What happened?” he asked. I looked back down, hoping he wouldn’t notice my red cheek.

“Nothing much,” I shrugged.

“Yah, what is this?” he asked, lifting my chin up. “Your cheek is swollen. Did you get in a fight with Joon’s girlfriend or something?”

“It wasn’t even a fight,” I sighed. “It was just some unreasonable disagreement.”

“Did you slap her?” he asked, touching my cheek.

“I wouldn’t slap someone on unreasonable grounds, Kikwang,” I assured him. “If you want to hear the full story, you might as well take a seat on the swings as well – this could take long.”

“Ah, what did I get myself into in becoming your friend,” Kikwang sighed, sitting on the swing next to me. “Alright, talk.”

I explained the entire situation to him, trying not to offend Joon too much because there was still a chance that Kikwang would side with him over me.

After finishing my story, I looked up at Kikwang and said, “Well...?”

“Joon did that?” Kikwang asked. I just nodded.

“I don’t want to come in between you two though,” I added. “It’s not really a big deal, so you can look past it and go hang out with Joon. I mean, you’ve known him longer anyways, so I’d completely understand.”

“Joon did that?” he repeated. “That’s not like him.”

“It isn’t?” I asked, raising my brow.

“Well, he’s a player, but I’ve never seen him act like that, especially to a girl. He knows better than that,” Kikwang explained.

“So, you don’t believe me?”

“Of course I believe you,” he replied. “It just puzzles me how Joon suddenly acted that way.”

“Is he being influenced by something?” I asked. “You even said yesterday that someone’s environment can affect how they act.”

“Well his girlfriend isn’t exactly the nicest person in the world. I never really liked Jiyeon. There’s this thing about her that doesn’t seem as genuine as you...” Kikwang mumbled, thinking deeply into the matter. “And slapping you for that reason was uncalled for.”

“I don’t know...I don’t really want to stress on this too much,” I sighed.

“But it’s not right,” Kikwang replied, with much more seriousness in his voice. “I don’t care if Joon is my best friend. You’re my friend too, and there’s no excuse for his or his girlfriend’s actions.”

“Kikwang, I really don’t want you to do anything about it,” I said. “I just needed to rant a bit, but I’m not really going to hold a grudge or anything.”

“Are you sure?” he asked, worry filling his eyes.

“Tell you what, if you share that food with me, we can consider that as taking ‘revenge’ on them,” I laughed, pointing at the ‘take-out’ box. Kikwang chuckled and opened up the box of food. After handing me a pair of chopsticks, we both were about to take a mouthful of noodles.

“I have to warn you though, I made it extra-”

“SPICY!” I shrieked, dropping my chopsticks on the ground.

“You don’t eat spicy food?” he asked.

“NO!” I yelled, fanning my mouth. I felt my face burning up. “, , , , -”

“Yah, calm down,” Kikwang chuckled, placing his hands on my cheeks. “It’ll cool down soon, just give it some time. I don’t have any water, so let it cool down on its own.”

“My tongue is numb,” I frowned.

“You won’t die, just relax,” he said, still laughing. I waited for a while longer before the heat started dying down. “Is it better?”

The burning feeling was already gone, and I think it was mainly his hands that were making my cheeks flushed and red at this point.

“Y-Yeah, I’m fine...” I mumbled. “Thanks.”

He removed his hands from my cheeks and said, “Well that was interesting.”

“You owe me food that isn’t spicy,” I frowned.

“Alright, alright. Next time we meet up, I’ll take you to an ice cream parlour or something,” he suggested. “Are you up for it?”

“Is this a date your asking me to go on?” I teased.

“Do you want it to be?” he chuckled. My body started tensing up again, and I hated the feeling. Why did I keep getting nervous? I mean, everything would seem so normal, and I wouldn’t have any nerves at all, then all of a sudden Kikwang would say something that would make my heart start racing, or my hands start tingling.

“...Do you?” I asked, suddenly feeling a jolt nerves running through my body.

“Er...I don’t know,” he shrugged. “It can be.”

“Then, it’s a date?” I asked, cocking my head to the side. To be honest, I was so confused at the time.

“It’s a date,” he nodded.

“Fine,” I agreed.

“Fine,” he replied.

“Kay.”

“Cool.”

Wow, that was awkward.

“So...I’ll see you around?” I asked.

“Do you want me to walk you home?” he offered, getting up from the swing. I accepted his offer, and we walked for a few minutes towards my house. Before walking inside, I turned around and looked at him.

“You know, you never told me where you live,” I pointed out.

“Heh, you don’t really need to know,” he chuckled. “It’s not that special.”

“Aw, why not?” I frowned.

“If we ever have a second date, then maybe,” he teased.

“Yah, we’re supposed to be friends. What’s with the sudden planning of dates?” I laughed, trying to hide my nervousness.

“Hey, you were the one who suggested calling it a date,” Kikwang retorted.

“Whatever.” That was all I could think of saying.

“I’ll call you sometime this week, okay?” Kikwang asked, putting his number in my phone. “And don’t be late for our date.”

And with that, he turned around and walked off. When he was finally out of sight, I went inside and leaned against the door.

“It’s a date...”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

YAAAYYYY~ KiSung's relationship is finally getting somewhere :3 sorry if it took long to finally get some KiSung moments >__<

And if you're upset about Joon being a jerk in this story, or Jiyeon being the b*tchy girlfriend...sorry, again :\ but it's all fictional, and I don't have anything against them :) 

on another note...

I just found out that I'm going to some cottage for a few days (ugh, I hate packing for these things >__<), and I'll be back on Monday, so I'll hopefully have an update for you all by then :D

- Liana <3