Switching Course

Life As I Know It

 

“Can’t you call someone else?” Kikwang whined.

“Shut up, I thought you’re supposed to be forgiving,” I hissed, covering the phone with my mouth. “Be nice to Joon.”

“Hello? Hyosung, is that you?” I heard from the other end of the line. “Are you there?”

I shooed Kikwang to the side before speaking. “Hey, sorry, Kikwang’s acting like a little kid.”

“Yah!” Kikwang frowned. I put my hand to his face again.

“So, what’s up?” Joon asked. “How’s Kikwang doing?”

“He’s fine, but we need you to help us with something,” I replied. “Remember how I told you about wanting to run away?”

“You told Joon about your plan first?” Kikwang pouted.

“Not now,” I snapped, glaring at Kikwang.

“Hyosung-ah, what’s wrong?” Joon asked.

“Kikwang’s being childish,” I sighed.

“I am not!” Kikwang protested.

“No, I meant, what happened that made you want to run away this badly?” he chuckled, probably overhearing Kikwang complaining in the background.

“Look, I can’t tell you. I might later on, but I just really need you to help me. Please?” I replied.

“Alright, what do you need me to do?” he asked.

“Can you help us move some things from my room to Kikwang’s house?” I asked. “We don’t have a car or anything to carry everything.”

“I don’t know Hyosung...What if we get caught?” Joon replied.

“Please, just do this one thing for me?” I replied. “I’d love you forever if you did this.”

“Don’t say that, he might take advantage of what you just said!” Kikwang snapped. I didn’t bother replying and just shot death glares at him. He looked back at me and frowned, “Sorry.”

“Okay, I’ll help,” Joon sighed. “But just so you know, I’d rather you just live in your own place and let me help you sort things out properly with your parents.”

“I don’t want to have to worry about that anymore,” I replied. “Are you dressed?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Because we’re outside your house.” Within a few moments, Joon opened the door wearing nothing but a pair of sweatpants.

“I THOUGHT YOU SAID YOU WERE DRESSED!” Kikwang yelled, trying to cover up Joon’s body with his hands. “Hyosung-ah, look away!”

“Yah, you’re so immature,” I snapped. “It’s not like I haven’t seen abs before.”

“Yeah, and this is how I usually dress in the morning,” Joon chuckled. “You jealous?”

“No, I have a better body than you,” Kikwang glared.

“Good. Then stop acting like a retard,” I replied.

“So how exactly are you going to break into your house?” Joon asked.

“We have to come up with a well-thought plan,” Kikwang replied. “So if you feel you can’t keep up, it’s fine.”

“Yah, are you calling me dumb?” Joon snapped.

“I don’t know, am I?” Kikwang replied.

“I can keep up!” Joon said.

“Pfft, I doubt that,” Kikwang scoffed. “I’m sure Hyosung already has a plan that’s way too complicated for you.”

“Yah, what makes you think I-”

OR...” I interrupted, standing in between them, “I could use my key to go through the front door.”

“Oh...” they both muttered. “That’s a better idea.”

“Oh look, you finally agree,” I scoffed, rolling my eyes. “Now, my parents should have left for work right about now, so we’re good to go. Are you ready?”

“Yup,” they both answered. Kikwang and Joon glared at each other, “She was talking to me!”

“I was talking to the both of you,” I sighed, grabbing their hands. “We have to hurry.”

Before entering the door, I looked through the side window to see if anyone was inside.

“Hey, can one of you lift me up, I can’t really see,” I replied, trying to peek through on the tips of my toes.

“I got you,” Joon said quickly, wrapping his arms around my waist.

“Hey, you’re supposed to be my friend,” Kikwang snapped. “Stop hitting on my girlfriend.”

“If we’re supposed to be friends, then you should be smart enough to trust me,” Joon chuckled. “Do you see them inside, Hyosung?”

“Nope, they’re not there,” I replied. “We should be fine. You can put me down now.”

“Yeah, put her down,” Kikwang repeated.

After Joon set me back on the ground, I turned around and pecked Kikwang on the lips, “Now stop talking.”

“Sorry,” Kikwang mumbled. I could hear Joon laughing from behind as we headed inside the house.

I quickly ran up the stairs and into my room.

“Wow, you guys are really quiet,” I chuckled, walking around my room. I then realized that they weren’t even behind me. Poking my head out the door, I saw Joon and Kikwang slowly creeping up the stairs.

“No one is home, smartasses,” I sighed. “You can yell and it wouldn’t matter. We just have to move quickly.” The two of them nodded and ran up the stairs.

“Okay, so I definitely need to bring over undergarments, pyjamas, casual clothes, and some of my toiletries,” I said. “So grab whatever is in that drawer over there, as well as the stuff in my washroom, got it?”

“Uh...” Kikwang and Joon looked dumbfounded.

“Guys, it’s not hard,” I sighed. “Just grab and go, okay?” They both shrugged and started going around my room, packing things in backpacks and other bags I had lying around. I also began packing some things, making sure Joon and Kikwang wouldn’t see any embarrassing things I had lying around.

“How do girls walk around with this on,” Joon laughed, holding up a bright pink thong.

“You guys are so naive,” I hissed, grabbing the thong from his hands.

“And your female sizes are confusing,” Kikwang added, examining a bra I had lying on the floor. “What’s the point of having letters? Instead of 32D, can’t they just call it 32, or like, a size medium? Man, girls can be so confusing at times.”

“Okay, you two aren’t allowed to pack or touch anymore lingerie,” I snapped.

It wasn’t too long before the room started looking half empty. I mean, I didn’t really have a lot of things to begin with, since I was never really into shopping. We were almost done, with a lot of time to spare.

But in times like this, something has to go wrong, right? Of course they do. Amidst all of our packing, the doorbell rang, and it was like the three of us were the victims of a horror film.

“Just wait up here, and don’t come down unless I scream or something,” I said, putting the bag in my hands down on the bed.

“Should we kiss, just in case you don’t make it?” Kikwang asked.

I leaned in closer and slapped his cheek lightly, “I’m not going to die – but the attempt was cute.”

“Loser,” Joon chuckled.

“I’m sorry, I never asked for your opinion,” Kikwang hissed.

“Really, you two? At a time like this?” I sighed. I rushed downstairs and looked through the peephole in the door. It was Jieun and Sunhwa.

I opened the door, and prepared myself with a forced smile. “Hey, what brings you two here?”

“Well, we missed you and thought you might like to hang out,” Jieun chirped.

“Actually, Zinger bailed on us, so we needed someone to fill in for her when we go mini-putting with some guys from school later,” Sunhwa said bluntly.

“Ah, that makes me feel really appreciated, thanks,” I said sarcastically. I was about to close the door, when Jieun stuck her foot in between.

“Sorry, Sunhwa’s just feeling a little anxious because it’s her first date, technically,” Jieun replied. “I don’t know about her, but I’ve really missed hanging out with you.”

“I don’t know, I mean, I’m really busy,” I said, leaning against the door.

“With what? It’s not like you have school work,” Sunhwa scoffed.

“It’s funny, I don’t remember you being this gutsy, having the nerve to be so straightforward with me,” I retorted.

“Look, I don’t want our friendship to be all tense and stuff, so why don’t we hang out here and watch a movie or something?” Jieun smiled cheekily. “We’re not meeting the guys until tonight anyways.”

“I don’t know...”

“Great! Let’s watch that movie with Kim So Eun and Kim Bum! We used to watch that all the time when we came over,” Jieun said, dragging Sunhwa inside the house.

“That’s because you wouldn’t let us watch anything else, Jieun,” Sunhwa grunted.

“Listen, I don’t think we should do this right now,” I said. “Maybe we can reschedule or something.”

“Don’t worry. This will be so much fun!” Jieun piped. “This movie always makes me cry.”

“That’s great,” I sighed. “Um...Would you excuse me for a second? I think I left the electric fan on in my room.”

“While you’re up, can you make popcorn?” Sunhwa said as she popped in the DVD. I rolled my eyes before running back upstairs.

I walked in my room to find almost everything I needed packed up.

“We’re done!” Kikwang smiled. “Who was at the door?”

“My death bed,” I frowned.

“Huh?” Joon and Kikwang said, both raising their brows.

“My friends are here, and they won’t leave,” I said.

“Well, we finished pretty early, so let them stay for ten minutes or something,” Joon shrugged.

“I can’t. They want to watch a two-hour movie,” I whined. “And I’m pretty sure that Jieun is going to replay the kiss scene at least twenty times.”

“Oh, is she downstairs with Sunhwa?” Joon asked. “That girl is in my Math class – she pisses me off so much.”

“Yeah, she does that to everyone,” I replied. “Anyways, what am I supposed to do?”

“Scare them away or something,” Kikwang said. “Do you want me and Joon to kick them out for you?”

“No, you two should stay here. If they see you, they might want to stay longer just for the sake of hanging out with hot guys,” I replied.

“Yah, Joon isn’t hot,” Kikwang snapped.

“Kikwang let’s face it, you can’t be the only good-looking guy on this earth,” I sighed.

“So do we just stay up here and wait?” Joon asked.

“I guess so,” I shrugged. “I’ll try and think of something while I’m downstairs.”

As I walked back downstairs, I already saw Jieun with a box of tissues on her lap, waiting for the sad scenes of the movie.

“Hyosung, make sure to add butter to the popcorn,” Sunhwa called, keeping her eyes locked on the movie. I made a fist at her before going to the kitchen to make her popcorn.

I came back to the living room with a bowl of popcorn and shoved it towards Sunhwa.

She looked at it and cringed, “This is low-calorie popcorn, right?”

“Does it really matter? I mean, why would you want to add butter to low-calorie popcorn,” I replied. “That completely defeats the purpose.”

“Well if you have regular popcorn, then obviously adding butter would make it even fattier than if you had low-calorie popcorn,” he replied.

“So what you’re saying is that I should make a new bowl of popcorn?” I grunted. Sunhwa handed the bowl back to me and grinned.

“Seriously, I didn’t even see part of the movie yet...” I mumbled, heading back to the kitchen. I tried reaching for the last pack of low-calorie popcorn in the back of the top shelf but had no luck. “Great. This day just keeps getting better and better.”

A pair of hands hovered above me and grabbed the packet of popcorn. I turned around and found myself about an inch away from Joon’s face.

“Y-You’re supposed to be upstairs...” I stuttered.

“I got hungry,” he chuckled, taking a handful of popcorn from the first batch. “Ew, this tastes like you burnt it.”

“Are you trying to make me suffer?” I groaned.

“No, I’m just being blunt,” he chuckled.

“Well now your breath smells like burnt popcorn,” I scoffed. “I guess I can be blunt too.”

“Your breath smells like bread and onions,” Joon replied.

I widened my eyes and quickly covered my mouth, “Kikwang’s mom cooked the eggs with onions, it’s not my fault. Now move back, you’re kind of in my personal bubble.”

“I kind of like it in here,” he smirked.

“No you don’t,” I sighed, pushing him away. “Where’s Kikwang?”

“In your room still,” he replied. “I let him examine one of your bras again – he’s really fascinated by the use of letters in the bra size. I have no idea what goes on in his mind sometimes.”

“Yah, is the popcorn done yet?!” Sunhwa yelled from across the hall. I rolled my eyes and put the new pack in the microwave.

“Why don’t you just kick them out?” Joon chuckled.

“Because they’re – well Jieun – is my friend,” I sighed.

“I’ve seen the way you handled people like Jiyeon, and I know you can be a lot tougher than how you’re being now,” he replied.

“But I was actually really close to them before, so it’s different,” I shrugged. “By the way, what happened with Jiyeon?”

“We officially broke up...It doesn’t really matter though. There was no connection,” Joon replied.

“Was it a mutual agreement?” I asked.

“Not really...She took it pretty hard,” he replied. “But I doubt it was because she loved me. The last thing she said was that she wasn’t going to give back any of the jewellery I bought her.”

“I’m really sorry,” I frowned. “But on the bright side, now you’re able to find that one girl who is perfect for you.”

“I don’t know...” he sighed. “I think I found her, but it’ll be hard to get her heart.”

“Aw, why?” I asked.

“Well-”

“Damnit Hyosung, the popcorn is probably burnt by – who is that?” Sunhwa said, walking in the kitchen.

“I’m in your Math class,” Joon snapped.

“Oh yeah, you keep blocking my view of Seungho,” Sunhwa said, rolling her eyes. “But why are you here with Hyosung?”

“Guys you’re missing the movie!” Jieun whined, following close behind Sunhwa. “Oh, what is Joon doing here?”

“I’m helping Hyosung make popcorn,” he said calmly. Sunhwa and Jieun both turned to me with disapproving looks.

“Yeah, that might not have been the best explanation,” I mumbled.

“We can see that,” Sunhwa said. “So why is he here?”

“Um...Well...” I muttered, trying to find a convincing lie.

“I’m her boyfriend, and we were in the middle of something before you two rang the doorbell,” Joon interrupted.

“What?!” I hissed, nudging his arm.

“Yeah, we didn’t want to be rude and kick you two out, but you know...we were kind of in the moment at the time,” Joon said, playing everything off coolly. I wanted to set Jieun and Sunhwa straight, but I didn’t have another lie prepared, and Joon’s way was the best way to go.

“Oh, I’m so sorry, Hyosung!” Jieun frowned. “You should have told us.”

“Sorry, but you know how Hyosung can get,” Joon smiled, pecking my cheek. I felt my cheeks burn up, but I wasn’t sure if it was because I was blushing, or because I wanted to slap Joon for making such a sly move.

“Aw, you two are so cute together!” Jieun chirped. “Well, I guess we better get going. You two have fun!” Jieun dragged Sunhwa along with her and they left the house. After waving goodbye to them, I turned around and slapped Joon’s arm.

“OUCH! What was that for?” Joon said, wincing in pain.

“We were ‘kind of in the moment’?” I repeated. “And what was with the kiss on my cheek? Do you know how furious Kikwang would be if he saw that?”

“But the question is – Were you furious?” Joon asked.

“N-No...” I muttered. “Well, it’s because you helped me get rid of them. So...thanks, I guess.”

“You’re welcome,” he chuckled.

“But tell Kikwang about this and you’re dead,” I hissed.

After going back upstairs and separating Kikwang from my bra, we loaded everything into Joon’s car and headed for Kikwang’s house. After what seemed like an endless car ride, we finally arrived at Kikwang’s house.

“Phew, I didn’t think we could pull it off,” I said, heaving a sigh of relief. We took a couple of bags and carried them to the front door.

Kikwang opened the door, and all three of us were shocked.

“M-Mom?” I gasped. I looked over her shoulder and saw Mr and Mrs. Lee looking at me with pleading looks – I knew they weren’t the ones who called my mother over to their house.

My mom stared at me with disappointed eyes. “Hyosung, you’re going home.”

“But mom-”

“Hurry up,” she snapped. “You can thank Joon for saving you from living at this dump later.”

I turned around and stared at Joon intently. “Joon...What is she talking about?”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

The drama had to come back sooner or later ;) Anyways, this is probably my last update before my camping trip in 3 days, but I'll still try squeezing in another chapter :)

And as for the poll I had in the last chapter... I know a lot of you voted for including , but I probably won't include in this story because frankly, I feel uncomrfotable writing it, and I think it's kind of irrelevant for this story. It might come up, but it won't be very detailed and I will warn you if it does. -hoping that I won't lose readers because of my decision- :p

On a side note, I've started brainstorming for a new story with a cuter, cheery, not-as-intense plot for readers that like that fluffy, romantic-comedy stuff LOL :3

- Liana