Arising Suspicions

Life As I Know It

 

It’s already been a week since I’ve officially moved into Kikwang’s house, and it felt like everything was finally falling into place. Although I still wasn’t used to living in a much smaller house than before and having to share a room with Kikwang, I’d still choose this over living back at my old house any day.

After sluggishly getting out of bed, I walked to the bathroom and opened the door to find Kikwang brushing his teeth in his infamous outfit –a towel.

“Yah, do we need a bathroom schedule or something? I don’t want to wake up to this every morning,” I scoffed.

“That’s a lie,” he chuckled. “You just don’t want your hormone levels rising through the roof.”

“You’re being awfully nonchalant about this,” I hissed.

“And you’re being awfully cranky this morning,” he smiled. “If you want, I’ll just lock the door every morning.”

“But then you’ll take forever to get ready,” I frowned, crossing my arms.

“Yah, would rather wait outside the bathroom for a few extra minutes, or walk in the bathroom every morning to find me half ?” he asked. After pausing for a moment, he looked up and chuckled, “Never mind, that should be a no-brainer. Your little hormonal mind would obviously pick the second one.”

“You’re unbelievable,” I hissed.

“Just splash your face and you’ll be fine,” he grinned. Before I could even protest, he flicked a bunch of water at my face and said, “See, you’re as good as new!”

I took some water in the palms of my hands and was prepared to splash him back, but he was able to beat me to it and threw even more water at me.

“Yah! Lee Kikwang!” I snapped, wiping my face with my hands repeatedly.

“Ah, don’t you just love waking up in the morning to my handsome face?” he sighed, putting his arm around my shoulder. I sneakily took some more water in my hand and tossed it upwards at his face.

“You don’t look so handsome anymore,” I teased, slipping out from under his arm.

“Yah!” I yelled. “There was soap in that!” While rubbing his eyes, he tried reaching for my hand but must have slipped on a puddle of water on the floor and flew forward. I tried running away but Kikwang was able to grab my wrist before I had the chance. Before I knew it, we were on the bathroom floor, face to face.

“You know...” I muttered. “...we should really stop getting into these positions.”

“I don’t know, I kind of like it,” he smirked.

“You just love seducing innocent girls, don’t you?” I teased.

“Wait a second...Do you feel a breeze?” Kikwang asked. His eyes wandered around the room until they locked onto the same thing I was shocked by.

“...Where’s your towel?” I asked nervously.

“Um...”

“You should get off me now...” I murmured, looking away.

“It was on me a second ago...” he muttered. “Must have...slipped?”

“Heh...yeah...” I mumbled, pushing him off me. “Um, I’m going to close my eyes, so just help me get to the door, okay?”

“Right, okay,” he nodded, helping me up. I could feel my cheeks burning up as I heard him put his towel back on.

“Is it safe to look now?” I asked, keeping my hands over my eyes.

“Yeah,” he replied.

I coughed awkwardly, and straightened my shirt, “Good morning.”

“Good morning,” Kikwang chuckled, pecking my lips. I was about to kiss him back, but my cell phone suddenly went off.

“Ugh, really,” I grunted, taking my phone out. “Hello?”

“Hyosung-ah, it’s Joon. You need to come over now,” he said. “I told your mom you’ll be back from the mall at eleven, and she seemed kind of suspicious about it, but I’m coming over to pick you up right now. I should be there soon.”

“Oh, okay,” I replied. “Why is she coming over?”

“I don’t know. She’s probably just checking up on you,” he said. “Are you dressed yet?”

“Um, not exactly. Kikwang kind of delayed me,” I muttered.

“Okay well you should hurry up because I’m outside right now,” he replied. And at that moment, I could hear a long car horn sound from outside.

“Typical Joon,” Kikwang chuckled. “Do you know how long you’re staying at Joon’s house?”

“Nope, but I shouldn’t be too long,” I replied.

“That’s good, because I’m going to miss seeing your pretty face,” he whispered, kissing my cheek.

“Aw, your unoriginality and corniness is adorable,” I chuckled. I quickly got dressed and rushed out the door to find Joon leaning against his car.

“I didn’t take too long, did I?” I asked, zipping up my sweater.

“No, we should be able to make it there in time,” he replied. “Hop in.”

I got in the front seat of the car and let out a long sigh.

“Wow, you’re sitting in the front this time, but I’m still sensing a pissed-off vibe from that sigh,” Joon chuckled.

“It was a fairly happy sigh,” I replied, leaning my cheek against my hand.

“Are you already that smitten with Kikwang?” he sighed, turning the engine on.

I wrinkled my nose and pretended to sniff around the car, “What’s that I smell? Could it be jealousy?”

“Haha,” he said sarcastically, rolling his eyes. I simply laughed at him as he started driving.

As we continued driving, it occurred to me that Joon didn’t seem as happy as before. By this time, we’d be having a random conversation that would easily continue until we arrived at his house. But it looked like something was bothering him.

“Joon, how are things lately?” I asked, trying to break up the annoying silence.

“Good,” he shrugged.

“Oh...that’s...good,” I nodded. Well that was a failed attempt. I huffed – probably a little louder than I should have – and slouched back in my seat.

“Something troubling you?” he asked.

“No, why do you ask?” I replied, crossing my arms.

“Well your body language seems to shout out, ‘I’m upset, so maybe I should sulk in Joon’s car’,” he said.

“You seem boring lately,” I said bluntly. Realizing what I said, I quickly put my hands over my mouth and looked at him, “Sorry, I meant to say it more considerately.”

“How do you tell someone that their boring without sounding inconsiderate?” he chuckled. “I don’t think it’s possible.”

“I don’t know,” I shrugged. “But I still meant what I said – just not in a totally harsh way. Did something happen?”

“No, I’ve just done a lot of thinking lately,” he replied. “You know, re-thinking things.”

“Like what?” I asked eagerly.

“Personal stuff,” he chuckled. “If I told you, I’d have to kill you.”

“You’re kind of acting like how Kikwang used to act,” I pointed out.

“And how are you finding it?” he asked.

“I don’t know...” I shrugged. I could sense something strange. I’m pretty sure that if I said something like that to any other person, they would protest to it or would at least show some sign of frustration or angst. But Joon just seemed to...accept it? Did he suddenly want to be like Kikwang?

It’s not possible. Joon can’t like me.

“But what if he does...”

“What if he does what?” Joon asked. I nearly jumped in my seat.

“Oh, was I thinking out loud?” I asked.

“Yeah, what’s on your mind?” He raised a brow as he continued focusing on the road.

“Um, you know...” I muttered. I kept looking around, hoping that an idea would occur to me. Realizing we were arriving at his house, I quickly said, “Oh look, we’re here!”

“Uh...”

I quickly got out of the car and rushed towards the front door. Joon gave a quite puzzled look as he walked towards me with the house keys in his hand. When we entered the house, my mom was already sitting on the living room couch, anxiously tapping her foot on the floor.

“Hi Mom,” I said as we approached her. Unexpectedly, she leaped off the couch and ran to give me a hug. Struggling to get out of her grasp, I could see Joon off to the side laughing to his self.

“It’s so great to see you!” my mom chirped.

“It’s been a week,” I pointed out.

She let go of me and sighed happily, “I know, but I couldn’t wait to see how you were doing!”

“Well, I’m fine,” I shrugged.

“How is Joon?” she whispered, nudging my arm. I could tell from the look on her face that she was anticipating an improvement in our ‘relationship.’

“Fine,” I replied, shrugging again.

“Yah, stop shrugging. It’s bad for your posture,” she snapped.

“That’s slouching, Mom,” I replied with a sigh. “So, are we done yet?”

“Yah, don’t treat your mother like that,” Joon interrupted. I turned around to look at him and could see a little teasing smirk beyond the convincing stern look in his eyes. I let out a chuckle and nodded.

“Well actually, I have to get to work in a few minutes, so I guess I’ll cut this meeting short,” my mom said, taking a look at her watch.

“When are you coming back again?” I asked.

“Aw, my baby misses me already!” she squealed, prepared to hug me again.

I quickly gestured for her to make a halt and said, “Um...not really. I was just wondering.”

“Oh...” she nodded. I detected the load of disappointment on her face and in her voice.

I took out a big breath and forced a stiff smile, “Maybe you can see us again tomorrow or something?”

“Great!” she beamed. “We can all talk about how your stay has been over breakfast! Well, I’ll see you two!” She looked at her watch one more time and bolted out the door, leaving just Joon and I in the house.

“So does that mean you’re staying over tonight?” he asked.

“No, what made you think that?” I replied, raising my brow.

“Well if your mom is coming for breakfast...”

“Oh right,” I sighed. “Crap, I should have said to meet for lunch. I guess I’ll stay over.”

“Okay,” he smiled. “Hey, did you eat breakfast yet? We can have brunch or something – I’m really hungry.”

I nodded and followed him to the kitchen.

“No one is in here?” I asked, looking around the big space.

“Nope,” he replied as he opened a carton of eggs and prepared the vegetables and frying pan. I felt pretty stupid just sitting down, watching him cook.

“Do you need any help?” I asked, peering over his shoulder.

“I’m fine,” he replied.

“Don’t you have maids or butlers or something to cook for you?” I asked.

“We’re not like those rich families you see in dramas, Hyosung,” he chuckled, flipping the omelette over. “Well, the whole ‘hierarchy’ thing and me being compared to my brother are the same, but I don’t think my family is any different from other families aside from being rich and stuff,” he explained.

“Isn’t there any drama that goes on?” I asked.

He brought the plate of eggs and set them on the table. “Not really. Well I haven’t heard of any drama in our family lately. Why?”

“No reason,” I said, poking the eggs with my fork. “And if there was a reason, I wouldn’t be able to tell you.”

Wow, that was a stupid thing to say.

“In other words, there is a reason,” he laughed. “If you don’t want to tell me, it’s fine.”

“I don’t really want to tell you...”

“Then it’s fine,” he replied, chuckling again.

“See, I like this side of you better,” I pointed out.

“What side?”

“The one that doesn’t seem like a replica of Kikwang’s old self,” I replied.

“You think I’m trying to be like Kikwang?” he asked.

I poked at the eggs again and avoided looking at him. “...Are you?”

“N-No,” he stuttered.

“Oh okay...”

“Well actually...” The doorbell rang before Joon could finish speaking. He tossed his fork back on the plate and sighed.

“I’ll get it,” I said, standing up. I could tell Joon was following behind me, but I let him anyways. When I opened the door, Kikwang was standing with his arms wide open, smiling brightly at me.

“Kikwang!” I chirped, throwing my arms around him. “What are you doing here?”

“I decided to stop by before going to work. I have to leave quickly though,” he replied.

“Aw, alright then,” I frowned.

“Are you going to look for a job today?” he asked.

“Oh yeah, I forgot about what your mom said,” I sighed. “Alright, I’ll go job hunting.” He pecked my cheek before heading off.

“That was cute,” Joon said sarcastically. “I mean, I’m completely nauseas, but I guess most others would find it cute.”

“Sarcasm is a wonderful thing to use, isn’t it?” I chuckled. “Anyways, what were you going to tell me earlier?”

“Nothing,” he shrugged, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

“Yes you were,” I snapped, crossing my arms. “What was it?”

“What was what?” he replied.

“Yah, I know you know,” I frowned.

“What do I know about what?”

“...What?” I said, suddenly confused by what was going on.

“What?”

“Yah!”

“What?” he shrugged.

I rolled my eyes at him, “Okay fine, be like that. I’m going to go looking for a job all day, so I’ll be back by sundown.” I grabbed my bag and set out for a new job.

...Why the hell is it so hard?

I must have gone to about ten places before realizing something: I am hopeless. I assumed it was my odd personality and constant sarcasm that made me unqualified for the job, or even a formal interview. You’d think that telling the manager of a store about how I’ve already been walking to several stores would impress them and show determination. But I guess it just shows how unskilled and desperate I am for a job.

It was already getting pretty late, and I needed a break. And what’s a better place to take a break and clear your mind than a bar? I was already near Kikwang’s area, so I stopped by at the local bar where I last had a drink with Joon. I figured I’d be able to take a quick drink there and then head over to Kikwang’s house before going back.

I walked inside the bar and called the bartender.

“Oh, it’s you again,” he chuckled. “So what can I get you? A juicebox?”

“Just give me a bottle of Vex,” I snapped, sliding over a couple of bills. After he handed me the bottle, I took a sip and rested my head on the table.

“Are you drunk already?” I voice called. I looked up and saw a man who seemed to be in his late twenties.

“No,” I mumbled. “What do you want?”

“Easy there,” he chuckled. “I was just wondering. Is something bothering you?”

“I’ve been looking for a job all day,” I sighed. I figured ranting to someone wouldn’t hurt.

“No luck?” he asked.

I shook my head and frowned, “I’m on the verge of being desperate.”

“Desperate, huh?” he repeated. “I might be able to help. I know of a job opening in the area.”

“Oh, really?” I asked. “Hm...I don’t know...”

“Relax kid, I’m not going to you,” he chuckled.

“Ever heard of the saying, ‘don’t talk to strangers’?” I smirked.

“You already talked to me, haven’t you?” he replied.

“I guess...” I mumbled. He stood up and gestured for me to do the same.

“Alright, follow me...”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

DUN DUN DUN~~ hehe kidding ^__^ Wow, I haven't updated in like two weeks O.O Sorry sorry sorry sorry~ I've just been really busy with all these renovations in my house :\ But I'm back now!

- Liana