Meet My New Friend .

Life As I Know It

 

The whole ride home was quiet. I don’t know if Kikwang was mad at me, or if I was too nervous to talk, but neither one of us would break the silence. I couldn’t even rest my head on his back anymore because I was worried he would say something like ‘You’re getting tears on my jacket again.’

But something seemed suspicious about what he said and how he said it earlier. Those words he said to comfort me couldn’t have been total bullsh*t. I mean, who can honestly think of such kind words off of the top of their head, without some care and consideration in mind? What if there was something there; something that was restraining Kikwang from saying what’s really on his mind. For all I knew, he could have problems at home, or had some sort of reason to not express his true self.

“If you’re trying to figure me out...stop trying,” he suddenly said. I nearly fell back hearing him finally talk.

“How are you so sure that that’s what I’m trying to do?” I asked, hoping he wouldn’t notice my attempt at lying.

“There has to be some reason why you finally shut up,” he smirked. “In your case, you can only either talk without thinking, or think without talking. Trying to do both at the same time only ends in disaster, as we’ve both clearly witnessed today.”

“Is this ‘smartass’ attitude also part of your act?” I scoffed.

“Act?” he repeated.

“I know you’re actually a nice person,” I replied. “I know you’re just hiding who you really are by pretending to be the biggest jerk of all time.” I trusted that if I went along with being confident in all my assumptions, he might actually confess to putting on an act this whole time.

“What are you talking ab-”

“Back at the nursing home, you never promised to tell the truth,” I interrupted. “You started asking me questions, and thought that I would forget about my original question. Well, I didn’t forget.”

“So why didn’t you tell me this back at the nursing home?” he asked.

“Well...I didn’t realize it until now,” I murmured. “But that’s beside the point.”

“Look, I don’t have anything to hide,” he replied. “This is really who I am.”

“I don’t buy it.”

“Well you should.”

“Well I don’t.”

“Then that’s too bad,” he grunted.

“Fine...Then you leave me no choice.” I waited for the next stop light, and then handed him my helmet and got off the bike.

“Yah, what the hell are you doing?!” Kikwang yelled. I kept on walking until I was in the middle of the intersection.

“Jun Hyosung! Are you stupid?! You’re going to get yourself arrested if you don’t get killed before that!” Kikwang yelled.

“So you care now, huh?” I asked, ignoring the cars that were all honking at me.

“Well obviously I care!” he shouted. “Anyone with a brain would care about your safety!”

“I don’t believe it,” I said. “I think you’re too much of a douchebag to truly care about someone.”

“Don’t play around with me,” he warned. “Do it any other time, but don’t do it in the middle of the ing road.” I heard the honks from all the cars get louder and louder. I knew I was causing traffic. I knew I was causing a public disturbance. But what can I say...

I can make quite a scene.

“Get on the bike,” he demanded.

“On one condition,” I replied.

“No, now stop being such a baby,” Kikwang refused.

“Aw, that’s too bad,” I smirked. “You can just run me over then and go home. Tell Joon I’m sorry for putting blood on his bike.”

“Stop being immature,” Kikwang sighed. “You’re causing a huge traffic jam!”

“Oh well,” I shrugged. I knew he was eventually going to give in.

“Yah, I’m serious! Look around you – everyone is pissed off.”

“...Kay,” I replied.

“...KAY? All you can say is kay?” It was funny watching his facial expressions.

“O...kay,” I smiled.

“Fine, you win. I’ll agree to your condition. Anything, just get on and let’s go,” he sighed, shaking his head in frustration.

I couldn’t believe I was actually asking for it. “I want to be your friend.”

“What. The. Hell?” Kikwang said, looking as dumbfounded as ever. I even shocked myself for a little bit. Did I really say that?

“You heard me! I want to be your friend!” I shouted for everyone to hear.

“Shut up and get off the road!” one driver yelled.

“But...Why?” Kikwang asked me.

“I really want to get to know you. I don’t believe that being a jerk is really who you are,” I replied. “So if hanging out with you will help me figure things out, then that’s what I’m going to do.”

“Fine, fine, fine,” Kikwang groaned. “Just hurry and get back over here before someone decides to just run you over.” I smiled and ran back over to the motorcycle. As we drove off, Kikwang sighed and shook his head again.

“Was that really necessary back there?” Kikwang asked.

“Most definitely,” I nodded.

“You shouldn’t even really care this much. I’m just a person who probably doesn’t play a big part in your life anyways,” he replied. “I don’t know why you’re blowing this whole thing out of proportion. I don’t even like you. I’m just driving you home – that’s all. We probably won’t even see each other after this, considering you don’t work at the restaurant anymore.”

“Well first of all, you said so yourself that I should expect to see you more often since you’re always visiting Joon,” I began. “And second of all, you frustrate me to the point where I find it essential to figure you out. I don’t care how close we are as of now, but I want to really know you.”

“You don’t know what you’re getting yourself in to,” he sighed. “What if I told you that a person can be both a kind person and a jerk all at once?”

“I don’t think that’s possible,” I replied.

“Well I know it’s possible,” he insisted.

“Are you bipolar?” I asked.

“No.”

“Then it’s not possible,” I laughed.

“It is possible. Stop acting like you’re always right,” he groaned.

“Then you’ll have to prove it to me over the next few months,” I grinned.  Before I knew it, we were already on my street. I could see Joon leaning against his garage door, listening to his Ipod.

“Hyosung, I didn’t expect to see you here with Kikwang,” Joon said, glancing over at Kikwang for a moment.

“Sorry, I had to drive her somewhere important, and we kind of got in a little...traffic jam,” Kikwang replied, glaring at me.

“Oh, really? Well I’m glad you two are okay,” Joon smiled. “...regardless of the fact that Kikwang stole my motorcycle.”

“Heh, sorry, man,” Kikwang replied, scratching his head.

“Hyosung, thanks again for the noodles. They were really good according to my girlfriend,” Joon said.

“See? They weren’t that salty,” Kikwang whispered, nudging my arm.

“Oh, you didn’t have any for yourself? I thought you were hungry,” I replied. I felt kind of upset knowing that he didn’t actually try the recipe I came up with.

“Well I was going to, but she was kind of moody today so I just let her have it all,” he shrugged. “Don’t worry, I’ll be sure to come back tomorrow and order more of those noodles.”

“Oh um... I won’t be working there anymore...” I muttered.

“Aw, really? Wasn’t it your first day today?” Joon asked. I paused for a moment. I didn’t want to look like a bad person in front of him. What kind of person would hang out with someone who quit on their first day of work?

“Yeah, well-”

“She got a job offer from a much better place,” Kikwang interrupted. What was Kikwang doing? I just stood there, staring intently at him.

“Really? Congratulations!” Joon smiled.

“Well, we have to get going,” Kikwang said, grabbing my arm.

“Alright, bye Hyosung,” Joon said. “Good luck in your new job.”

“About that, Kikwang was-”

“I was just about to take her home,” Kikwang interrupted again. “See you tomorrow, man.” Joon waved to us one more time before putting his bike in his garage, and Kikwang dragged me away.

“Yah, why did you say those things to Joon?” I frowned. “You know I just quit.”

“Don’t you want to look good in front of Joon?” Kikwang asked. “You don’t want to seem like a bad person, right?”

“I guess so, but-”

“Then consider this as one of the many favours your friend is doing for you.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

okay so after like... one week, i lose 3 subscribers D: am i really updating that slowly? :s sorry to all my readers! i'm really trying my best to write my chapters whenever i get the chance >___<