11/2

Life Threw Me A Curve Ball

 

AN: I hope you all enjoy reading this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it ^^

Sorry if there are any spelling or grammer errors.


 

A year and a half later

Byul steps out of the taxi and the taxi driver hands her her luggage. She thanks him and starts making her way up the stairs. It was a little past nine at night. All she wanted to do was go straight home.

She unlocks the door and walks in.

“Yoonyi-ah, Hanna-ya I’m here.” She yells from the door.

“Oh you’re here.” She hears Hanna say from one of the rooms.

“Ah” Byul responds and makes her way towards the coach. Hanna goes into the living room where Byul was and sits next to her.

“Where’s Yoonyi”, asks Byul.

“She went to buy some food.” She responds, “You look tired. How was it?”

“I am tired. I’m more mentally tired then physically. Is Yoonyi going to take a long time?”

“Well she just left so maybe.”

“Ok well I’m going to take a shower.”

“Ok.”

Byul stands up from the couch and makes her way into her room. She picks up a few garments from her drawers and walks into the shower.

Thirty minutes later she walks into the living room and Yoonyi is already there. The food was laid out on the coffee table ready to be devoured.

“So how was your trip? How are your parents?” Yoonyi asks while putting a piece of chicken in .

“It was exactly as I expected.” She says while sitting crisscross on the floor, “I don’t know why everyone has to ask if I have a boyfriend or when I’m going to get married.”

Byul had gone to visit her parents for the weekend. Although they live in the same city, but commuting from one side of the city to the other was a trip on it’s own.

“I was expecting this to happen, but no matter how much I mentally prepare myself it’s always annoying.” Byul says while graving a chicken leg, “They can’t seem to ask me anything else, but that.”

“Well I guess because we’re reaching that age.” Says Yoonyi.”

“It’s not just them though some of my coworkers have even told me that they’ll help me find someone. Do I look unhappy or something?!”

“Yes” both Yoonyi and Hanna respond.

“What? I’m happy. I just got a good job I mean I don’t love it, but it’s a stepping stone.”

“Well you don’t look unhappy, but ever since your junior year you did change. You have no spark. You don’t seem passionate about anything. Maybe that’s what everyone notices.” Says Hanna, “What do you guys want to drink?”

“Just bring the soju.” Says Byul. Hanna gets up and walks towards the refrigerator, grabs the soju, and a few cups.

“Yeah and people might assume that you’re lonely being single.” Says Yoonyi.

“I’m perfectly fine being single. Besides no guy seems interested in me.”

“No no no there have been plenty of guys that were interested.” Says Yoonyi.

“Yes, but you scare them off with your cold attitude.” Adds Hanna.

“I may seem cold, but if I’m not interested why lead them on.” Says Byul while pouring some soju, “If I just so happen to smile once at a guy he thinks I’m flirting or easy.”

“You always find a flaw in all of them.” Says Hanna.

“Yeah like he’s not smart enough, driven enough, nice enough.” Says Yoonyi, “You’ve created a pretty intense list of requirements.”

“Well you can’t blame me those guys didn’t make the cut. My list isn’t impossible.” She shoots down a drink, “It’s just that those guys..those guys aren’t. Well they’re just not..”

“Chen?” ask Yoonyi.

“Yes.” Byul says in a sad tone. “Why didn’t you two push me harder! Or slapped some sense into me!”

“We wanted to, but you’re so scary sometimes we didn’t want to push you and get you mad.” Says Yoonyi.

“I’ve regretted my decision of not going to his graduation many times.” She had regretted not going that same night. She thought she would be able to call him the next day and come clean about everything, but the next morning she was woken up by a call. Her dad had suffered a heart attack. She had to leave that very morning because he was in such critical condition that the doctors were afraid he wouldn’t make it. While at the hospital everything was chaotic, just when he came out of the dangerous stage everything would start all over again. She was mentally exhausted and had no mind for anything else. She did nothing, but go home, sleep for a few hours, eat, shower, and go back to the hospital. This was her routine for about a month. Her mother would tell her to stay home, but Byul couldn’t. She felt guilty because her mother would stay in the hospital for days without going home.

In all that time she didn’t contact Chen like she wanted to. She figured she had time. When her dad was finally out of the critical stage and everything was fairly back to normal she decided to finally call him, but when she tried his phone was disconnected. He was nowhere to be found. It’s like he disappeared.

 

“We’ve asked around ourselves and no one seems to know where he is.” Says Yoonyi, “The last I heard some people were saying he was in China or America, but that was months ago.”

“Yeah I know you told me.” Byul says a little, “I meant what I said when we were in school, but I wish I could have another chance. When I think back on him, he’s just amazing. He has set the bar high and I haven’t met anyone that comes close to him. He was perfect.”

 

She didn’t drink much, but the combination of the trip, soju, mental fatigue, and her heartache had defeated her. In no time she passes out.

 

~~

 

It’s midweek and Byul is still feeling down so she decides to treat herself to one of her favorite restaurants for lunch. She doesn’t go there often because it’s pricey, but she feels the need.

 

She gets seated and is browsing through the menu. At that moment she looks up and spots this couple sitting a few tables across from her. Why this particular couple, she’s not sure. It was probably the woman’s diamond necklace that just wouldn’t stop sparkling. The woman early thirties maybe, but very elegant; although the man’s back was facing her, but he looked about the same age and he was equally as elegant.

She starts to wonder, could they be on a date? Business date? They sure are an impressive couple.

 

She was so drawn to him. Out of all the people there he was the best dressed.

I haven’t felt like this since Chen. Dark hair; check. Pale skin; check. Thick frames; check. Nice fitted Dolce & Gabbana  suit; check. Now all he needs to be is…

 

At that moment the young man calls over the waiter and she is able to see his profile. Her eyes widen.

 

CHEN.

 

Byul thought her eyes were playing tricks on her, but it was him. It was Chen!

 

It’s Chen!