B & C

Life Threw Me A Curve Ball

 

Byul is a little more relaxed now. She’s still doesn’t want anything, but its nice being around Chen again.

“Here let me help you with that.” Chen grabs the heavy books for Byul.

“It’s ok I can manage.”

“I know you can, but still.”

“Thank you.”

They make their way to the study room in the library. Chen opens the door for Byul and makes a gesture for her to go in first. They spread all the books on the table and start working. Chen must think that Byul is a girl of few words because this time around he’s a lot quieter. Byul notices the difference and continues with her work. She’s hard at work when again his musky and fresh sent linger in the air and she is reminded that he’s there.

They decide to quit for the day and agree to meet the next day.

 

“This one is a lot tougher than the first project isn’t it?” Chen asks.

“No it’s not that difficult for me.”

“Yeah for me either. What I meant is that maybe for the rest of the class it might be difficult.”

“Are you sure?” Byul asks playfully. “I think you do find it hard, but don’t want to admit it because I said it wasn’t.”

“Haha no really. It’s not hard.”

“Uh huh.”

“Yah.” He says in a somewhat loud tone.

“Haha I’m just kidding.”

“You’re not as serious as I thought you were.”

“I’m sorry I’ll stop joking. I tend to troll a lot with my friend.”

“No it’s ok I like it because I know you feel comfortable enough now since you’re making jokes.”

“Well thank you for giving me permission to troll.” They both laugh.

Byul picks up her book and continues with her research. Chen stares at her for a few seconds and gets back to his work.

They’re both concentrated on their work, but there it is again. His scent. Every once in a while she would look up and stare at him for a few seconds.

He’s so focused on what he’s doing he doesn’t notice.

She feels comfortable and asks,

"So is there a reason why you work so hard or are you just good at school? I’m just saying because I haven’t met anyone that lives at the library as much as I do. Until I met you."

"I’m accustomed to studying. My parents are big on education and I never found it difficult to study." He responds.

"Oh I see so your parents had a lot to do with this and..."

Wait what am I doing? Why am I asking about his personal life? Let's focus on the project Byul.

"What were you going to ask?"

"Huh? Oh..I ah.. Ah how much more do we need because I have something to do in a little while."

"Oh about 20 minutes."

 

~~

 

“Byul do you want to get a smoothie after this study session?” Chen asks.

“Yeah sure.”

 

They make their way to an ice cream shop that’s close to the school. The shop is full with college students. Chen asks Byul what she would like and goes to the register to place the order. In the mean time Byul looks for an empty table, “I’ll get us a table.”

“Byul!” someone yells. “Here.” Byul make her way towards these two girls who have been in previous classes with her.

“Hi Yoona, Yenni.”

“Hi Byul. I don’t think you’re going to find a table, but you can sit here. We’re almost finished.” Says Yenni.

“Thanks.” Says Byul.

Chen makes his way towards the table and greets the girls, “Hi, I’m Chen.”

“We know who you are. I think everyone in the school knows haha.” Says Yoona.

“Oh I didn’t know I was that popular.” He says.

“So..what are you two doing here.” Asks Yenni.

“We just finished studying for the day. We’re working on a project together.” Says Byul.

“Oh~” they say in unison.

“Our order is ready. I’ll go get it.” Says Chen. 

Yoona waits until Chen is pretty far and asks Byul, “Are you two dating?”

“What? No.” Byul responds.

“Oh that’s too bad, we’ve all been saying that you two would make the perfect couple.”

For a second Byul got butterflies in her stomach. She was flattered at the thought, but quickly dismissed it.

“Yeah everyone refers to you two as the ‘Powerful Couple’ because you two are the top students.” Says Yenni.

“What?” Byul exclaims.

“Oh we have to go Byul our class will be starting soon.”

We have to stop hanging around alone. People are already creating rumors!

“Here’s your drink. What happened to the girls?” Asks Chen.

“Huh oh they had to get to class.” She answers. “You know I have to go. I forgot I have to meet my parents.”

“Oh” he says in a disappointed tone. “Ok I’ll walk you to the bus stop.”

“No it’s ok. I know how busy you are.”

“I’m not busy.”

Oh gosh.

 

~~

 

“Byul do you want to go to the movies?” asks Chen.

“Mmm.”

Byul didn’t want any more rumors going around so she was being extra careful with her outings with Chen.

“Don’t worry it’s going to be a big group not just the two of us. I know you’ve been feeling a little awkward around me because of the rumors.”

“You’ve heard the rumors?”

“Yes.”

“Oh my god this is so embarrassing.” Says Byul.

“Haha don’t worry I don’t mind. It’s actually not that bad of a rumor.”

“Not that bad? People are saying we’re dating.”

“Am I that big of a loser?”

“Sorry it’s nothing against you and you’re definitely not a loser. I just don’t like being the center of attention and I don’t like people talking about me.”

“I know it makes you uncomfortable so when possible I’ve been setting the record straight. You don’t have to worry.”

“Thank you.” Byul continues, “I hope I didn’t hurt your feelings. You’re not a loser, you’re actually pretty amazing.”

“You think I’m amazing?” Chen asks with a little twinkle in his eye.

“Of course, everyone knows you are.”

“Oh thanks.” He says in a slightly disappointed tone.

“Sure I’ll go.” It’s a group so it’s going to be fine. Everyone will see we’re not dating. “I’m inviting my friends.” She says.

“Ok great!”

 

~~

 

“I can’t believe another 5 weeks have passed by.” Says Byul. “But I’m ready for tomorrows presentation.”

“Yeah this semester is going by too fast.”

“You think so?” asks Byul.

“Yeah I mean I’ve really enjoyed this class, I’m going to miss it once it’s over.”

“Wow you must really like____.”

“I don’t necessarily like the subject, I’m going to miss the people in the class.” Responds Chen. “You know I was hoping to be paired up with you at the beginning of this project.”

“Oh.”

It gets quiet.

“Byul since we’re finished with the project do you want to celebrate after?” He asks. “We can do whatever you like. You choose what we do. I want to thank you for being my partner this semester. You have made senior year a lot easier for me.”

 

Oh gosh.

 

 


AN: Hi everyone! I recently wrote a one shot, "Hesitant Heart". Please take a look:

 

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/726893/hesitant-heart-exo-love-onesidedlove-hate-lessonslearned