Unexpected Reality

A mistake from the start

 

 

            3 years… Time really flies….

3 years past. For Eric everything is still the same, nothing about him really changed a lot, except the fact that he loved Steve even more than before. It is almost a month before Eric has to return to Korea after he settle and stabilized the company in America.

“After 3 years, I’m leaving this place. Must I leave? I want to be with all our memories.” Eric spoke to himself while walking around the house, starting to pack all his assets. “Arh! Irritating things! I shall go out to enjoy myself instead!” The handsome man went to change and got out to have a walk.

            He was walking along a park and he noticed a newly opened café set on the opposite of it, he was dread from all the work he had, hence, deciding to treat himself to a cup of drink in the café.

“One mocha latte please.” He told the waiter. 

“Sure! It will be here soon. Thank you for ordering.” The waiter bow to him and moved to the counter to place his order.

            Eric was taking his own sweet time to finish him latte and was looking around the café as well as the scenery outside. A man who walked into the café caught his attention. Coincidently, the man was walking towards his direction.

“Mr Albert.” Eric called out softly when the man shuffled pass him, afraid that he will recognize him wrongly.

            The older men heard it and turn around, immediately recognize the voice who called him. “Eric Mun? Is it you?”

“Yes Sir. It had been a long time since I last see you.”  The handsome one stood up and shook hand with him. “Do you mind sitting here? We can have a chat if you don’t mind about it.”

“Sure! Why not? I’m here alone too.” The man went over to the seat opposite of Eric.

“Mocha Latte please.” The older one told the waiter, and he nodded then walking off to the counter.

“How are you Eric?” The teacher started the conversation. “It had almost been decade before I last saw you.”

“I’m pretty well, came over to work for three years, going back to Korea soon. What about you, Mr Albert?”

“Please stop addressing me as Mr Albert, you are not a student now, you can just call me by my name.” Albert requested, Eric nodded his head. “How are you and Hyesung? I mean Steve.” The man corrected his mistake.

            Eric looked up at him, dropping his jaw, confused. “Pardon me?”

“How are you and Steve?” Albert repeated.

            Eric’s ears were finally working and able to decipher his ex-teacher’s words, “We broke up before I left for Korea.”

“What!” The teacher was left shocked. “You mean you are not together ever since then?” Eric moved his head up and down.

“So, this is the reason.”

“What do you mean sir?” Eric stared at the older one.

“Do you know about Shin Hyesung?” The man started.

“Shin Hyesung? I know someone who has the same name but I’m not really sure whether he is the same person as the one you are talking about. But the one I know I pretty close to Dongwan.”

“Is Dongwan from our school too?”

“Yes, Kim Dongwan”

            The man paused and his drink was served at this timing, creating an awkward silence. Eric could see that his ex-teacher was trying to piece all the puzzles together.

“Sir” Eric called to bring Albert back to Earth.

“Oh. Let be continue.” He was finally able to piece all the pieces together to form a story for Eric.

“If I’m not wrong the Shin Hyesung both of us are talking about are the same person.”

“But, who is Shin Hyesung?” Eric interrupted.

“He’s Steve.” Albert looked down onto his drink.

“Steve Jung?” the older one nodded. “How did…this happened?”

“I should start from the day you left.”

            Eric looked at his ex-teacher in disbelief; getting more curious about how did all this happened.

“From the day you didn’t attend school, Steve did not attend school too. And it continued for a few days until I tried to ask Dongwan about his whereabouts.” He took a sip of his drink before continuing, “To my surprise, Dongwan doesn’t know anything about it too.”

            Eric face dropped, he couldn’t believe the model student actually missed school because of him.

“The next day, the school received a call from Steve’s mother.” He hesitated. “It was about Steve changing his identity. Moreover, I heard from the office, it was a requested made by Steve himself.”

            Eric stared at the older one with his eyes almost as big as a tennis ball.

“He wanted to change his name to Shin Hye Sung, the name I told you moments ago, and sort of enter the school liked a transferred student. If I’ve not mistaken, apart from the teachers, Dongwan was the only one who knew about this.”

“What?! Dongwan knew about it?” Eric raised his voice, trying to confirm the information he just received.

            Albert nodded. “How do you know about it?” Eric questioned.

“It was quite easy to guess actually. Everyone knows that other than you, the only person who really know Steve well and he were able to open up to is, Dongwan. And after the new transferred student Shin Hye Sung got in he was really close to Dongwan, there are also rumored saying Dongwan betrayed Steve or Shin Hye Sung was actually Steve and the worse one was Dongwan was dragged into the wrong track thanks to Steve.”

“They…suffered…so much….because of me…” Eric spoke slowly.

“But to the very least, they had each other when they needed someone.”

“But…I made them..” Eric was unable to continue, and had no idea why he actually stupidly followed his parents order causing his friends suffer. “What happened to Steve then?”

“The next day, we were told to announce about you leaving, we announced about him leaving. And of course it spread like wild fire in the school.”

“Sir… Do you have any ways to contact Steve or Hye Sung?” Eric gathered his courage to get the words out of his mouth.

“Yes. I still do keep contact with him until now. You need it?”

            Eric nodded his head lighted and the older one gave him Hyesung’s contact number.

“Thank you sir, for telling me so much.”

“You’re welcome Eric, as long as it helps you, you can always contact me.” He gave Eric a heart-warming smile.

“I need to clear my thoughts up now.” The handsome one stood up and bowed. “Goodbye, Sir”

“Bye Eric! It’s nice seeing you here after years. Hope you see you again soon.” Albert stood up and bow to Eric before continuing, “and with him I hope.”

“I hope so too! Can you not tell Steve…or Hyesung about this?” Eric requested.

“Sure. I promise.”

“Thank you.” Eric left the café and headed home.

 ………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

*At the same time in Korea*

            A new caused a commotion in Minwoo’s café.

“WHAT?!” Minwoo exclaimed. “Are you ing serious about this?”

“Yes. I am.” Hyesung spoke, cold and firm.

“How long has it been?” Minwoo asked.

“Around 9 months?” Hyesung looked at JunJin. “Around there.”

“Hyesung.” Dongwan finally able to speak, but with disappointment. “You actually hid this from me?”

“I’m sorry Dongwan.” Hyesung apologized.

“Ya Hyung! You two!” Andy punched Junjin’s shoulder.

            Andy is JunJin’s cousin, also one of Minwoo’s suppliers.

“Mian Andy-ah. And please don’t hit him.” Hyesung gave Junjin a teddy bear hug.

“I hope you two will last long.” Minwoo spoke in monotone. Hyesung noticed that both Minwoo and Dongwan weren’t really happy for him.

            Dongwan looked at Hyesung in disbelief. Unable to believe his eyes. He still remembered a few days back he was still venting his troubles about, still, having a little feeling for Eric. Then, today, he revealed that he had been in a relationship with JunJin for the past 9 month. ‘WTF… Where is the Shin Hye Sung I knew?’ Dongwan thought.  He tried to console himself to accept the truth, but sadly he can’t.

            Dongwan stood up and walked out of the café, running towards the park nearby. He collapsed on the bench, curling himself up into a ball before tears began to stream down his face. ‘Why… I thought he was still the one I knew. The person who will share everything with me. How did he actually changed so much, and I’m so unless for not being able to notice it.’

            Dongwan looked up and stared at his phone. Hesitating whether to turn it on or not. Deciding to turn it on in the end and it started to vibrate non-stop due to the never ending incoming messages it got since he left the café. Out of the he-don’t-know how many he only pressed on a few to read it.

---

From: Minu♥

Jagiya~♥ Where are you? Please reply me… Don’t make me worry! ):

---

            And he spotted the text with the same content from his boyfriend.

---

To: Minu♥

Mian Minu-ah. I want to be alone for a while. Go home if you want to. I’ll head back myself. Wannie.

---

            Also, he spotted unexpected text from Hyesung.

---

From: Syungie~

Dongwan-ah! I’m really sorry! Please forgive me! Let me talk to you, tell me where you are. Minwoo is really worried about you.

---

To: Syungie~

Sorry. I just want to be alone for a while. Do it another day. Bye. Wannie.

---

            Dongwan kept scrolling down, cursing under his breath thanks to the never ending list of messages he got. And a name caught his attention.

---

From: Eric~~

Dongwan. I need to talk to you, can I call you?

---

To: Eric~~

I will call you someday. I’m sort of busy now. Wannie.

---

“Finally finished.” Dongwan sighed. “Here comes another one.” After his phone vibrating once again.

---

From: Syungie~

Where are you? Tell me please… T^T

---

            Dongwan just ignored his message and turn off his phone before leaving the park and heading for his car at the car park.

            Dongwan wanted to get to a place that can allow him to take a break, at least from all the troubles he have. He decided to drive to his parent’s house.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

*Back in America*

“What is happening. Oh my god.” Eric lied on his bed, staring at the ceiling. “I need to get back to Korea right now.”

            Before he knows, he was actually packing, or to be specific throwing is a better word, everything he needs into his luggage and got a plane ticket online.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

*In Korea*

“Where is Dongwan?!” Hyesung screamed and turned his head almost 360 degree to search for his friend. “I will drive the three of you home first.”

“Why? I’m his boyfriend, I should be the one looking for him. Not you.” Minwoo protested.

“I know. I’m the one who caused this to happen. I have to find him and explain to him.” Hyesung rebutted.

           Minwoo knows Hyesung and his famous stubborn personality. No one could actually win him in an argument, except for Eric, according to Dongwan. Minwoo was actually thinking to get home and get his own vehicle to look for his boyfriend instead of following this stubborn guy.

“Bye.” Hyesung spoke while Minwoo was confused; only realizing they have reached his apartment.

“I warn all of you, no one is supposed to search for Dongwan other than me. You know what will happen if I found out the truth. Especially you, Minwoo.” Hyesung stressed on Minwoo’s name to let him know he is dead serious about this.

            As the other three head up to Minwoo’s apartment, Hyesung began to search for Dongwan. Cursing and cursing and cursing. Trying to think of the possibility of where Dongwan might be at. And the conclusion was if it is not Minwoo’s apartment it will be his parent’s place!

“I hope I can find him this time.” Hyesung mumbled while speeding his way to Dongwan’s parents’ place.

            After he reached, and parked his car, he rushed up to the apartment and pressed the doorbell. Very quickly, someone opened the door, and it was Dongwan’s mother.

“Eomoni! Is Dongwan in?” Hyesung asked as soon as the door was opened.

“Yes. Waeyo Hyesungie?”

“Can I see him for a while I need to speak to him.”

“Sure, you’re always welcome.”

            Dongwan’s mother led Hyesung into the house and brought him to Dongwan’s room.

“Dongwan-ah” His mother called. “I’m coming in.” After speaking his mother signaled Hyesung to go in instead of her. Hyesung guessed Dongwan’s mother knew something happened that’s why she was helping him.

            Hyesung walking in and closed the door silently before speaking lightly, “Dongwan-ah”

            Dongwan turned around looking shocked, not expecting anyone of his friends to be here.

“How did you know I am here?” Dongwan asked bewildered.

“I’m smart.” Hyesung winked and grinned widely.

“Shut up and get out of my room now.” Dongwan turn to the window.

            Hyesung paced towards his friend and sat down beside him. To his surprise, Dongwan did not move away and instead he spoke.

“Say what you want to say and get out.” Dongwan spoke bluntly.

“Okay. Look Dongwan. I know it’s my fault for not telling you the truth and you are pissed about it. I was a promised I made with Jinnie, I can’t break it. Yo-” Hyesung was forced to stop.

“Then what about our promise? The one we made since I-don’t-know when?” Dongwan screamed at Hyesung, losing himself for the first time in the past few years.

“I’m sorry. I know I shouldn’t break our promise. I wouldn’t do it again. Please Dongwan. I know you are wondering why I still talk about Eric a few days back when I’m in a relationship with Jinnie.”

            Dongwan turned towards Hyesung, starting to calm down and was curious at the same time.

“At that time, I wanted to tell you first before telling the others. But I don’t know why I started to talk about Eric instead.” Hyesung confessed. “Please forgive me.”

“Whatever you say, it’s hard for me to believe you again.”

“Sorry, wan-ah” Hyesung apologized again, Dongwan was actually quite shocked to hear him apologizing cause the stubborn guy almost never say that to anyone.

“Whatever.” Dongwan turned away from the younger one. “Now that you are done, get out.”

“No. I won’t get out of this room of yours or the house until you forgive me.” Hyesung insisted.

“I need freedom too!” Dongwan got pissed by Hyesung. “Since you are not telling me anything then forget about our promise. I guess this is what you want right? I will give it to you then. You don’t have to tell me anything, go to your boyfriend instead and stop coming to me. We both have someone.”

            Dongwan stood up wanting to exit the room but Hyesung blocked him. “I’m…Sorry…”

“I know it is my fault. You know I can’t lose anyone again. You know how I broke down that time. If you leave me the cycle will repeat itself. I can’t lose a friend that has been there for such a long time.” Hyesung pleaded and his eyes became teary.

            Dongwan saw his tears, although he is a tough person he definitely has a soft spot. He immediately went to hug his friend and smoothed him.

“Ya.. Syung. Stop crying you brat.” Dongwan almost cursed. “I should be the one crying for my friend who betrayed my feelings. Why is it you are crying?”

            Hyesung pulled back and wiped his tears off, “I can’t help it. It just hurts so much to lose such a precious friend.”

“Oh, am I that precious? I guess your boyfriend is more precious right?” Dongwan released Hyesung, staring right into his eyes.

“Nah, you are the most precious one!” Hyesung jumped on to Dongwan.

“Yah! We both have someone now, so let go!”

“Alright” Hyesung reluctantly replied and pouted “So do you forgive me?”

“Yes, whatever. Now get out can you?”

“Yes Sir!” Hyesung hugged Dongwan and left the older on alone again.

---

From: Eric~~

I’m going back to Korea. I need to see you once I reach there.

---

“WHAT?” Dongwan screamed. “He’s coming back at this time? Oh my… this isn’t right. What am I suppose to do now!!!!”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“Since 3 years, I haven’t stepped into this country.” Eric commented softly when he reached the airport.

“I should go to Dongwan right? Or should I go home first?”

---

To: Dongwan

Where are you now? I’m back. –Eric

---

            Getting a reply back almost immediately

---

From: Dongwan

I’m at my parent’s. But they are out now. Are you coming over now?

---

To: Dongwan

Sure. Going over from the airport.

---

“Hope I will get the truth.” Eric prayed as he walked over to the taxi stand.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

*Doorbell rings~*

            Dongwan opened the door and saw Eric, “Oh Hi!”

“Hi Dongwan, we haven’t met for a long time.” Dongwan invited him in to take a seat at his couch.

“Yes, happy to see you back! Didn’t hear anything from Minwoo that you are coming back. Why so sudden?” Dongwan asked while going to the kitchen to get a drink for his guest.

“He doesn’t know about it. I only decided to come back when I learnt about a truth.” The word ‘truth’ triggered Dongwan. He’s now panicking.

            Dongwan came back to the living room, placing the cup on the coffee table, “What truth was it?”

“How should I start?” Eric trying to compose his thoughts before starting again. “It’s about Steve.”

            The silent between them grew before Eric opened his mouth again. “or… Should I say Hyesung.”

            Dongwan looked up at Eric, eyes almost dropping out. ‘HOW DID HE?!’

“What?” Dongwan trying to confirm what he had just heard.

“Steve is Hyesung isn’t it?” Eric stared deeply into Dongwan.

“WHAT?! Definitely no! I thought I once told you not the drag the both of them together right?”

“Stop lying Kim Dongwan! I meet our teacher, mister Albert, back in America yesterday and he told me everything!” Eric stood up, his eyes seems to be burning furiously.

“No I’m not Eric! If you don’t believe me then get out of here then!” Dongwan stood up, although he is shorter than Eric but he’s definitely a brave guy who will stand against anyone who doubt him.

            To this, Eric immediately took his luggage and got out of Dongwan’s parent’s house’

“I need to get the truth. I bet Minwoo knows about this.”

            Eric strolled along the street while trying to reach Minwoo.

“Yeobuseyo? Minwoo-ah” Eric said after hearing the call got connected.

“Oh! Eric-ah, why did you call me at this time?”

“I want to meet you.”

“What? How am I suppose to meet you when you are still in America? Do you expect me to fly over again?”

“Of course not you idiot. I’m back in Korea. Come and fetch me.”

“What?! Why didn’t you tell me? Where are you now?”

“Strolling along the streets. And I have no idea where I am. This place had changed so much.”

“What the heck is wrong with you? I will track using GPS. Stop moving around, araso?”

“Yes boss!”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

            Dongwan watched Eric stomped out of the house, leaving him there, speechless.

“What am I suppose to do now?” Dongwan muttered. “How am I gonna deal with this?”

            After thinking and thinking, he decided to give Hyesung a call.

“Sung-ah” Dongwan whispered.

“Yes? Why did you call me so early in the morning?”

“I… have something… to tell you…”

“What is it?” Hyesung sounded puzzled, “You don’t sound good.”

“He is back in Korea..”

            The line was sort of dead for a few moments before Hyesung voiced out, “He? Eric?”

“Yea…”

“So? How is this gonna affect me?”

“He… knows that you… are Steve”

“WHAT!” Hyesung literally shouted through the phone, almost breaking Dongwan’s eardrum.

“How did he knew about it? You told him?” Hyesung shot at Dongwan.

“What! Definitely no! I help you to keep it from him for so long do you think I will tell him at this point in time?”

“Okay sorry! Then how did he knew about it?”

“From Mr Albert. They met in America yesterday.”

“Oh god… Why is this happening…” Hyesung’s voice sounded very weak. “Thanks bepeu ya. Thank you for telling me. Will get back to you when I had clear my thoughts.”

            The line was dead after Hyesung finished his words.

“I hope this will help you Hyesung-ah.” Dongwan said before going to get ready to go to Minwoo’s café.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

            After spinning rounds and rounds around the area where the GPS show Eric is at, there’s still no sign of his friend.

“Stupid bastard. Can’t he just stay at the airport and wait for me?” Minwoo cursed as he keeps turning his head to search for signs of Eric.

“Is that him?” Minwoo asked himself when he saw a familiar figure.

            He stopped and lowered the window panel before shouting, “Eric!”

            The guy looked up and Minwoo realized he is Eric.

“Get in you bastard!”

            Eric threw his luggage at the back seat and move to the passenger seat at the front.

“Why are you suddenly back in Korea?”

“Can’t I be back here?” Eric replied in monotone.

“Fine. Where do you want to go then?”

“Anywhere, as long as we are at a place which only have the two of us so that I can talk to you privately.”

            Minwoo search his mind for a place and said, “I think the best place will be your house.”

“Sure.”

            The both of them drove in silence. No words or greetings were being exchanged, and this was pretty unusual for the two guys who are usually super chatty.

“We’re here.” Minwoo said after he parked his car.

            The couple got out and when to the lift.

“Somehow I actually missed the place I have in America.” Eric stared at the board with the level they are at.

“heol, then why are you back here?” Minwoo was speechless about his friend.

“To find out about something.” When Eric finished they reach the 18th level.

“This way.” Minwoo lead the CEO who was missing for the past 3 year back to the same old office that he use to have.  “It’s still your office.”

“Thanks, minbong!” Eric stepped into the room, looking around, realizing there isn’t any difference from the last time he seen it. “Woo~ It still looks the same.”

“Of course!” Minwoo placed his arm around Eric’s neck, “Hyesung came in every week to help you keep it clean.”

            Eric froze, before turning to Minwoo, “What? Hyesung came every week? Who allowed him to do that?”

“From what Jinnie told me, Hyesung asked him for permission before he does it.” Minwoo walked to the brownish sofa and sat down.

            Eric was confused, Hyesung helped him?  Does it mean that he still has feelings for him? ‘Oh my. This is gonna give me another big headache.’

“So, why are you back here?”

“Relax Minbong. I will tell you but promise me that you will only answer me with the truth. If not I guess you know what will happen.” Eric spoke in a low tone, a tone which he seldom spoke in unless it is very important.

“Sure. I don’t lie to you.”

“Tell me. Is Hyesung Steve Jung?” Eric’s stare pierced through Minwoo.

            Minwoo hesitated before replying softly, “Yes…”

            Eric got the answer he wanted but a part of him still cannot believe that Minwoo knew about this. “You… always knew about this?” The answer was just Minwoo’s nod.

“And you kept it from me for i-don’t-know how long?” Eric was bewildered.

“Sorry bro. To be true, I knew it since the start. I have no choice to keep it from you. I don’t want to. You should know about his attitude, if I actually tell you this when you met him three years ago, he will just pack his things and run to a place that you and I can never find him.”

            To this part Eric agreed, he knew Hyesung (or maybe Steve) well, especially the stubborn-head him.

"I’m really…” Eric couldn’t continue, there is a hurricane in his head, he can’t believe it.

“I want to see him.” Eric spoke.

            Minwoo looked at him with wide eyes, surprised that his friend decided to face him so directly.  “But…”

“No buts Minwoo. I want to see him right now.”

“I need to tell you this before I ask him to come over.” Minwoo’s tone changed.

“What?” Eric turned to look at his friend.

“He’s with Jinnie.” Minwoo said it, he had to do it.

            Eric continued to look at Minwoo, giving the puzzled look again. “What in the…”

“Yes. I know it’s hard to believe. But you have to accept the fact that they have been together since around.” Minwoo scratched his head,”9 months”

“oh…” Eric turned to look at his shoes, hiding his tears from his friend even thought he had seen it for countless times.

            Hyesung, his ex, is with Jinnie, his stepbrother

-------------------

 

HELLO READERS! I'm taking a break from all my work~ Phew~

With a new chapter~ I hope this isn't confusing ><

Long time since my last update... Sorry to you~ >-<

Will treat this as my bday (24/7) update! 

Trying my best to start on the next chapter soon!.

Shinhwa's Grand Tour is gonna end! left with only encore!

Definitely gonna miss them! 

And thank you to all my subscribers~ hope you enjoy this! :D

(fyi, haven't have the time to proof read yet, so i hope you understand the story!)