Six

The Hurtful Past

{ Friend }

 

[ In the Ediya's Coffee Cafe ] 

 

"Jiyeon..?" Someone called out from behind.

Jiyeon's eyes widened. The voice. The voice was so familiar. It had the smooth, gentle calm tone. That voice, Jiyeon had fond memories of it. She remained silent as she did not respond to that voice. Her eyes became serious as she was in deep thoughts on the identitiy of the voice. The person called her name again. That voice was ringing in Jiyeon's mind. 

"It's me, IU." She said.

Jiyeon's eyes widened in shock. It's her. It's her long-lost friend. IU was in the same orphanage as Jiyeon last time. Jiyeon did not have any other friends in the orphanage except for Jiyeon. To her, IU was like her blossom sister. They would always go out together, have meals together, shop together and study together. They are always together.

The two of them also shared some fond memories with together. They both went through thick and thin, through hardships, through laughters and joy. They are like best friends forever. They are inseperable, until they went into separate ways in the University, studying different courses. However, that did not separate them. They still would hang out with each other after their classes.

 

"It's really you.. Jiyeon-ah. Where have you been?" IU said as she walked to see a closer look at Jiyeon. Her eyes and lips frowned in sorrow to see her friend, much thinner than before. "I've been looking for you, I'm so glad to finally find you already." IU said, her voice was getting unstable as her eyes was getting teary.

Jiyeon gasped in shock, seeing IU in front of her. It all seemed like an illusion, she also wished it was. She was not ready to face anyone. Not even her closest friend. Jiyeon bit her lips as she immediately buried her head into her chest, covering her face with her long, wavy hair. She continue to sip onto her cup of coffee, ignoring IU's repeated cries.

Myungsoo looked at Jiyeon and turned his head to IU as he raised his brows in curiosity. *What's happening here?* Myungsoo thought as he suddenly muttered to IU, "Mianhe, but who are you?" 

IU turned around and sniffed. She remained silent as she rolled her eyes at Jiyeon again. Jiyeon was avoiding her. Feeling engulfed with pain, she replied, "I'm IU. I'm a close friend of Jiyeon. We both went to the same Orphanage. We're like BFFs." 

Myungsoo pursed his lips and nodded his head in understanding. He then patted onto Jiyeon's head. "Jiyeon-ah... she's your friend right? Why are you hiding away from her?" Myungsoo asked her with his calm gentle voice.

IU continued to sniff as she sat on the chair beside her. She shook her body impatiently as she lifted her head forcefully. She could see tears rolling down Jiyeon's cheeks. Jiyeon had been crying as she buried her head. Being happy to see her again, IU pulled Jiyeon into a warm, friendly embrace as both of them shed their tears of worry.

"Why didn't you contact me? After several months of your wedding, you totally disappeared from my life. I was worried after a week, I called you a lot of times but I'm directed to your voicemail. I tried to look for you in your house, but I was informed that you was not living in that house anymore. Where did you go? Where's your husband?" IU said worriedly as she wiped off the tears on Jiyeon's face.

"Umm... I'll go somewhere first, you two can carry on talking." Myungsoo said as he excused himself.

The atmosphere was tense as both of them was silent. Jiyeon did not reply to IU's query, neither did IU wanted to ask her further. They remained speechless as IU continued to glare at Jiyeon in pity. "Why are you so thin? You look so weak, as compared to your wedding day. Did something happen to you?" IU asked worriedly as she grabbed onto Jiyeon's hands tightly. 

Jiyeon could feel the warm in her hands. Being suppressed with fear, she bit her lips and refused to reply to her. 

"Jiyeon-aaah..." IU said as she started tearing.

Jiyeon bit her lips. "I.." She uttered but she hesitated to speak on further.

"Tell me, Jiyeon. Tell me what happened to you. I am your blossom sister right? Am I? I thought you would always confide your feelings to me. You once told me that I am the only one in this world you can only talk to, trust and have fun with. I also do think that way to you too. Now, are you going to keep your promise or not? I am your... your blossom sister." IU said as she sobbed on a piece of tissue.

 

"Mianhe... IU-ah." Jiyeon spoke up. Her eyes was puffy and red from the intense crying. She sniffed as she intertwin her fingers together and placed them on the table. "I... I didn't contact you or look for you is because I don't want to trouble you. I knew you was having your university exams that time, so I did not want to bother you, I don't want to affect your studies." Jiyeon added on.

"What happened exactly. I can forgive you for that. But please let me share your burden at least?" IU said as she stare at Jiyeon deeply with her mesmerising eyes.

"IU-ah... I.. I got abused by him." Jiyeon confessed. 

IU gasped in shock as her grip tightened. She started shooking her hand as she inspected her hand, "Are you alright? Did he attack you? Did he cause any fatal injuries to you?" IU bombarded her with loads of questions.

Jiyeon shook her head and replied, "I'm alright now. But he gambled a lot during that time. He took all his money and gambled them away. He took away my money as well, he sold some of my jewelry, and even sold the gift you gave to me just to gamble. But he lost all of his money. He borrowed from loansharks as well." Jiyeon cleared as she sniffed. Tears were flowing down her eyes like a fountain, continuously streaming down. Feeling depressed by mentioning the story, Jiyeon covered her face in embarrassment.

"Then... what happened?!" IU asked, panickly shaking her hand.

"The loansharks looked for me, and threatened me to return the money. He came back and he sold me to a ion house so that he can repay the loansharks and use the remaining money to gamble again." Jiyeon stated. 

"WHAT THE DID HE DO?! HE SOLD YOU TO THE ION HOUSE?! This son of a !" IU shouted in the top of the voice as she used her might and slammed her fist on the table. She grumbled angrily as her teeth was clenching rapidly. 

Jiyeon continued sniffing as she pulled IU down. "But I ran away from that place during my errand. I left to Gangnam with all the spare cash on me. I tried to fled to the furthest and Gangnam is where I could go. But there, people treated me like some thrash. They just thought I was those typical beggars, asking for money so that they could live their life frugally. People threw cash notes on my face. Some drunkards vomited on my face. I did not even bathe for days, I couldn't enter anywhere, people would stare at me in disgust and the shop assistants would throw me out. No one would accept me in, I pleaded for help but many refused to lend me their helping hand." Jiyeon explained.

"It was all until Myungsoo-sshi found me and took me in. I at first refused help from him, 'cos of all the ill-treatment I received. I no longer believed in humanity ever since then. But Myungsoo had faith in me. I felt like he knows me and he speaks for me. He know how I feel. And... the thing is, he's also an orphan. We both share the same pain, so I feel like he knows me and he understands me. I feel so touched by all the care he showers over me. I feel like I know him a lot. I feel so close to him." Jiyeon said as a smile unconditionally forms on .

IU smiled as she caressed her hand, "I'm glad Myungsoo-sshi is helping you. Myungsoo-sshi is the man just now right?" IU said.

Jiyeon nodded her head shyly. 

IU smirked and replied, "Are you having a crush on him already?" 

Jiyeon's eyes widened in shock as she shook her head. "ani..." She denied. IU chuckled as she ruffled her hair in playfulness. "But I'm glad to see you alright. I am so sorry for not being with you during those times. What type of friend am I. I'm really sorry, Jiyeon-ah... Mianhe." IU said as she stood up and both of them pulled in for a warm, long hug.

"Don't worry. Since we found each other, I'll never separate from you. I'm gonna be the one that you can confide in. I'm not gonna make you suffer anymore. Your life would be a smooth one from now, that's a promise from me, your chingu. Your best chingu in your life." IU said as she firmly patted onto Jiyeon's back.

"Gomawoyo, IU-ah..." Jiyeon said as she let out tears of joy.

 

 

"Gomawo, Myungsoo-sshi. For letting me have some heart-to-heart talk to Jiyeon. I'm really glad for your support for Jiyeon. Thank you for taking her in. Please take care of her well, alright?" IU said as she shook her hands with Myungsoo.

"Oh, IU-ah, you're here all alone?" Jiyeon asked.

"Ah ani. Actually I'm here with my university friends. We've just got back our results. I got the degree, and so do them, so we're here to have some small celebration." IU explained.

Jiyeon nodded her head as she patted on her head, "Wah, I cant believe IU-ah is so smart to get a degree!" Jiyeon said.

"Yah, you're smart too! You just ruined your chance in getting a degree by marrying that jerk. That move was really a wrong move." IU said as she mumbled several curses under her breath.

Jiyeon smirked as she forced a smile on her lips. She sighed as she said, "It's alright. I don't need a degree anyway. All I just want now is to have a decent work and enjoy my life. Since I've a job in Myungsoo's cafe, I'm already contended." 

IU stare at her worriedly as she nodded her head. "Take care of yourself Jiyeon-ah. Don't forget to call me okay, I'll always always answer your call no matter what circumstances." Jiyeon said as she pulled her in for another warm embrace.

"Ne... take care of yourself too IU-ah." Jiyeon said. 

"Okay, goodbye then Myungsoo-sshi." IU said as she went off with her friends. 

 

Jiyeon smirked as she saw IU running to catch up with her friends, Jiyeon smile faded as IU's silhouette disappeared into the darkness. She sighed as she slung her bag across her shoulder. The night life of Seoul was a cold, moodless one in the winter. There was not much life in the atmosphere. It was all quiet and calm, seemed too boring to live on.

Jiyeon let off several sighs as she soon slammed her body against the back of the bench. 

Myungsoo sat beside her and asked, "Is everything okay? You seemed depressed." 

"I'm alright. It just that... I feel I am a useless person in this world. I feel like I'm like winter. Everything's harsh, boring and cold. There's nothing exciting and fascinating about me. I do not have a degree like IU, i feel really terrible now." Jiyeon said as she was playing with her fingers. She let off another dreadful sigh and added on, "If only I did not met with that man." 

Myungsoo knew who she was talking and he understood her feelings. "I think you must feel like a plastic bag, drifting in the wind, but nowhere to go, am I right?" Myungsoo guessed.

Jiyeon looked at him and was shocked by his words. She gripped onto her dress as she nodded her head. "I guess I must face the reality. I'm no good in anywhere." She muttered.

Myungsoo smirked as he grabbed onto her hand and kissed her hand.

Jiyeon's eyes widened by his sudden action as she hurriedly pulled her hand away from him. She slowly caressed her hand as her eyes rolled away from him. 

"You are not boring. Everyone's unique and special in their own way. Everyone's all fascinating creatures. God creates you in such a way, its a fascinating thing." Myungsoo said. He took a huge breath and added on, "Trust me. You are beautiful, gorgeous and have a kind soul. That makes you in some way fascinating right? There aren't any one else with a beautiful face like yours. Even if others might be pretty, they wouldn't have such special face like yours. Am I right?" 

Jiyeon looked at him as his words meant everything. It all seemed bright to her already. She saw the light in his words. Jiyeon nodded her head as she replied, "Thank you Myungsoo-sshi." 

Myungsoo sighed. "We're still being like strangers... saying each other's name with sshi and stuff. Didn't we met for a week already? Wait, its gonna be 1 and a half week soon. We're still calling each other so formally?" Myungsoo whined.

Jiyeon looked at him and chuckled, "Then Myungsoo-sshi, what do you want me to call you?" 

"Myungsoo~" He said with his gentle voice. "Then I'll call you Jiyeon~ Drop all the formalities, and just call my name. i don't mind it even if I'm older than you." Myungsoo said. "Now try it!" He demanded.

Jiyeon blushed as she hurriedly turned her head away and said, "Myungsoo.." 

Myungsoo smiled as he patted on her head, "Thats right, thats the way." He cheered.

 


 

Teaser for chapter 7:

"He's sick don't you know? Didn't you notice something was amiss?" Sungyeol said.

"Argh, let me take care of myselffff... I'm a grown man." He grumbled.

 

Okay, heres the update for today! I might update later on, so do wait for it!~

Thanks for commenting!~ Please dont be a silent reader guys. :(

- Authornim