Sixteen

The Hurtful Past

{ Finding his Family }

 

[ 3:00p.m. That day, in Dela Rosa's Cafe ]

 

"I'm... your appa." The man said, wearing a serious expression on his face.

Myungsoo's jaws dropped upon hearing as he dropped the tray on his hand, the tray crashed onto the ground with a loud thud, attracting attention of the customers and of course, Sungyeol and IU themselves.

"Myung, you alright?" Sungyeol said, running to him panickly as he picked the tray up and bowed at the customers. "Who is he? Annyeong, who are you?" Sungyeol said, scratching his head and staring at the man curiously.

"Argh, Sungyeol. Teach me how to make coffee." IU said, dragging him away to the coffee bar.

 

"Um. Myungsoo, I'm your appa, and this is not a lie. If you insist, you can get a DNA check if you want. I don't mind doing it now, as long as you believe in me." The man said, forcing a smile in his lips.

Myungsoo lips crept a smile as he shook his head. "Ah... ani. I don't want to trouble you anyway. Let's have a talk anyway." Myungsoo said, bringing him to a private desk far away from the coffee bar and where only silence crept upon both of them.

"So... this is rather surprising." Myungsoo forced a conversation. "All these years of knowing I'm homeless and an orphan, I didn't even believe I could actually have a dad." Myungsoo said, chuckling as he rolled his eyes to the window outside, staring at the scenery and the tall skyscrapers and buildings outside the window.

"I know I'm such a bastard for not even accepting and finding you all these while. It's been 20 years, you were only 1 back then when this whole incident happened." The man said, burying his head at his chest, avoiding Myungsoo. 

"Care to explain?" Myungsoo said coldly.

The man paused for awhile. Mustering his courage as his hands slowly reached out for the cup of coffee as his hand began to tremble. The coffee cup was indeed vibrating vigorously as some coffee spilled and splashed out of the cup, as his hands immediately got scorched and removed his grip on the cup, causing the cup to smash into pieces upon crashing onto the saucer, spilling the coffee across the table.

With fast senses, Myungsoo immediately stood up and signalled Sungyeol, who came running as he wiped the table off the coffee spill. Myungsoo continue to stare at the man, whom had his hands gently caressing the burn. Myungsoo remained silent as he continue glaring at him. His cold glares gave goosebumps to the man as he faked a cough and took a seat on the chair.

Sungyeol excused himself out of their hostile environment and went back to do his work in the coffee bar.

"You have parkinson's disease, don't you?" Myungsoo guessed, pointing his hands to his hand.

The man frowned upon sight as he shook his head, and said, "Oh, I just tremble when I am nervous."

"Your level of shaking hands is totally different from nervousness." Myungsoo explained as he grabbed his hand. "I guess I'm right." He said as he placed a spoon on his hands and let his grip off the man's hands. The man hands shaked tremendously, causing the spoon to sway about vigorously. "How do you take care of yourself then, sir?" Myungsoo said, wearing a coldless expression on his face.

"Ah... my wife and the maid takes care of me sometimes. But I'm still capable of taking care of myself." The man replied back weakly.

"You're rich, eh? Figured it all out." Myungsoo said, smirking. "Anyway, get out of here. I don't need anyone to take care of me anymore. I've lived these 20 years alone. I need no one else but myself and my girlfriend." Myungsoo said, standing up as he walked away without sending off the man. 

The man remained sitting there, speechless for words.

 

 

[ 10:00p.m. In Myungsoo's House ]

 

Jiyeon opened the doors as she saw Myungsoo sitting on the sofa watching television. She placed the bag down as she greeted Myungsoo as she took a seat beside Myungsoo. Myungsoo was watching discovery channel, the programme was about sharks as Myungsoo had his eyes stuck on the television screen all along.

"Is it really that interesting?" Jiyeon asked curiously. 

However, Myungsoo did not reply her. He was staring at the television screen motionlessly as he did not even move an inch. Jiyeon called his name this time, yet Myungsoo did not reply. 

In Myungsoo's mind, the sound of the reporter on the discovery channel drowned into his ears as all he heard was the mumbling of the words. His mind was at loss. About his father looking for him? Why now? Why didn't he look for him at all when he was placed in the orphanage? Why wait till he is now 20 years old and living well?

Jiyeon then poked his waist which made him jerked in shock. "Yah" Myungsoo said coldly. 

"Gwenchana? I've called your name several times but you didn't respond to me. Is... Is anything troubling you?" Jiyeon asked.

"Ani... Just that my biological father came to look for me today." Myungsoo confessed.

"What did he say? What did you do?" Jiyeon asked curiously, tugging onto his shoulders.

"I realized that he all along has been living well, I was in my mother's custody, and he didn't even look for me once until now. He knows I was placed in the orphanage, he then went to find me." Myungsoo said, letting off a huge sigh. He then continued on, "He also has parkinson's disease now. I saw it with my own eyes just now. It was shaking tremendously. Although I hate to say it, but I find it very pitiful." A tear rolled down Myungsoo cheeks as Myungsoo immediately wiped it off with his bare hands.

"Myungsoo..." Jiyeon mumbled.

"It's alright. I am not gonna further investigate my birth parents or look for them anymore. Today I realized I can't handle the truth. I can handle reality at all. Finding my mom now would make me even more disappointed and sad. I am not gonna bother about it anymore." Myungsoo said, sniffing. "But anyway, how did your interview go?" Myungsoo added on.

Jiyeon's heart raced as she removed her grip from the arms and nodded her head. "It went well." She replied. 

"Ummm... I'll get going back to my room first. I'm a little tired." Jiyeon excused herself.

"Arraso, sleep tight." Myungsoo said, forcing a smile in his lips.

 

Jiyeon sat on her bed as she curled her body up, resting her head on her knees, flashbacks of the interview came back to her mind. The sight of her sitting on a single chair separated by a blank space to the judges table. The judges' stern stares at her. The stylists taking her body measurements, her body weight and height. The private doctor making health checkups.

Not forgetting the hostile atmosphere in the interview room. The atmosphere was filled with awkward silence. The memory of the judges shooting her with tough questions and a lifetime statement question. Finally, the question which made her tremble in fear.

"Park Jiyeon-sshi, if we were to post you to our branch in Paris for a year, would you willingly accept it no matter when we give you the notice? You'll be at there helping out in the latest collection lines there. They are currently in need of asian models, like you."

Jiyeon paused for a while as she bit her lips, thinking about the question. This probably meant that her first year of work will be based in Paris, rather than in Seoul, Korea. This means, leaving Myungsoo alone for an year. Will he be able to take it?

Just then, Myungsoo's words rang in her mind. "I'll always support you no matter what". Jiyeon bit her lips, closing her eyes tightly she forcefully replied, "I'm fine with it".

Jiyeon snapped out from the flashbacks as she heaved a heavy sigh. She stood up from the bed as she was about to walk out of the room. But as her hand landed on the door knob. She thought of Myungsoo's expressionless and cold face just now when she came home. Realizing that he found his father today, Jiyeon removed her hands as she went back to the bed, as she sat down and thought for a while.

*This isn't the right time to tell him yet.* Jiyeon thought. *He probably needs to cool down before I can announce this to him.* Jiyeon thought again as she nodded her head at herself as she said to herself, "I don't want to see him suffer anymore." 

 

 

[ 12:00p.m. Next day, In Dela Rosa Cafe ]

 

"Annyeonghaseyo, Welcome to Dela Rosa Cafe!" Jiyeon greeted as she heard the bells rang as the door opens. 

"JIYEONNIE~" IU squealed which made Jiyeon turned her head around and squealed back in excitement.

"Where's Myungsoo? I thought he works with you today?" Jieun said. 

"He's not feeling well today, he said. So he took a day off. So its down to me and Nara. Pretty short-handed today." Jiyeon said. 

"When's your lunch?" Jieun said.

"Umm actually now?" Jiyeon said as Jieun pulled her to a table. 

"We'll eat here, since I've prepared food for you~" Jieun said as she took out several boxes of packed lunch as she displayed them neatly on the table. She opened the cover, revealing some kimchi fried rice and spicy beef bulgogi rice. Jiyeon's eyes glittered upon seeing the food as drooling upon sight.

"What I have a feeling this is gonna taste great~" Jiyeon exclaimed.

IU smirked as she raised her chin and nodded her head. "Of course, everything's gonna taste heavenly especially when it comes to chef Jieun. I'm a pro, alright~" She boasted.

"Ne, ne arraso." Jiyeon said, smirking as she munched on her rice.

 

Jiyeon and Jieun was eating until a man stood at the entrance of the cafe, his eyes were wandering around aimlessly as he inched to the left, and to the right as his head turned left and right in synchronisation. He was lost. He wandered around aimlessly, as he slowly limped about the cafe which caught the attention of Nara, one of the staff in the cafe.

"Annyeonghaseyo, sir, can I help you?" Nara said while carrying an empty tray and a cloth. 

"Um... may I know if Kim Myungsoo is around?" The man asked.

"Ah, ani. He's off today. May I know why are you looking for him?" Nara asked further. 

The man remained silent and did not utter any reply. He shook his head as when he turned his body around, he felt his vision to weaken, his sight was getting unclear and foggy all of the sudden as he immediately collapse onto the ground and went into unconscious state. Nara screamed in shock as she went down on her knees, shooking the man profusely while shooking him profusely. 

"Sir? Sir? Sir?" Nara asked panickly. 

Jiyeon and Jieun was busy chatting as they eat until the huge commotion on the other side of the cafe struck Jiyeon's mind. Jieun, as well, got curious as both of them stood up and walked to be amazed by an unconscious man lying on the ground while Nara was attending to him.

"What happened?" Jiyeon asked as her jaws were left hanging open in shock.

"This man collapsed all of the sudden." Nara explained as Jiyeon went over and helped her to carry him up, bringing him to a sofa seat in the cafe. 

"Nara, get me some medicine and water. I'll feed him those when he wakes up." Jiyeon instructed, checking his pulse rate. 

"He should be fine..." Jiyeon mumbled to herself.

Jieun walked to her as she stood beside Jiyeon and stare at the man curiously. She tilted her head as she studied the features. The eyelashes, eyebrows, nose shape and the lips. She thought for awhile as she struggled to remember the man. The man was vaguely familiar to Jieun. She thought and thought until she finally saw the light.

That man yesterday. The acclaimed Myungsoo's biological father.

"Isn't he... Myungsoo's acclaimed biological father?" Jieun pointed out, pointing at the unconscious man lying on the sofa.

Jiyeon turned around with her shocked eyes, "Jinja?" She uttered. Jieun nodded innocently. 

"I saw him yesterday when I came here. I overheard their conversation a little, the man said he is Myungsoo's dad. Myungsoo doesn't look happy at all upon hearing that." Jieun explained as Jiyeon nodded her head slowly in understanding.

"Should i tell Myungsoo about this?" Jieun asked.

"It won't do anything anyway. He'll probably just avoid seeing him. I'll talk to him about this myself, thanks anyway Jieun. Umm, sorry to disturb our lunch date. I can't continue with it in this state..." Jiyeon said apologetically.

Jieun nodded her head as she patted her shoulders and grab her belongings and left the cafe soon.

 

After an hour of waiting, the man regained his consciousness as he pulled himself up on the chair, now sitting upright. Jiyeon was busy cleaning the desk as she occasionally glanced at the other table, checking onto the man's condition. Upon seeing the man pulling himself up from the sofa chair, she immediately smiled. 

Dropping all the cloth and detergent spray on the table, she rushed to the other table, removing her apron on her as she took the glass of water and the satchets of medicine, passing to the man. 

"Ahjussi, you should take some of these. It'd help you. This medicine is good for you, especially since you collapsed out of fatigue. You seemed alright now, ahjussi." Jiyeon said politely while handling over to him the medicine and the water.

The man took the medicine and water shyly but his parkinson's disease failed him. He was shaking profusely as the glass of water was vibrating vigorously, causing the water to have a jerky motion in the glass, spilling some water out. He finally gulped and swallowed the capsule down as he slowly slammed the glass onto the desk, as his hands stealthily went to caress his shaking hands. 

"Ahjussi, gwenchana...?" Jiyeon said, her eyes stuck onto his hand.

The man forced a smile and lied, "I'm alright, just some old disease." The man then looked at her curiously and asked, "Anyway, who are you?" 

Jiyeon smiled as she bowed at him in respect. "I'm Park Jiyeon, I work here at Dela Rosa Cafe. I heard you are Myungsoo's biological father, I am Myungsoo's girlfriend." She introduced herself.

The man wore a bright smile as he started laughing. "Oh my, you're really pretty! My Myungsoo really have a good taste in girls. Good looks, and you have good looks, I can't imagine how your baby will look like! It'd be swell and gorgeous as usual!" The man praised as he grabbed onto Jiyeon's hands, gently caressing it.

"Ne, kamsamida." Jiyeon said, blushing as the man directed her to the seat across him.

"Nara, bring us some coffee please.~" Jiyeon instructed as Nara replied with an 'ok'. 

"So... I'm sorry but Myungsoo probably can't accept the fact that you are his true dad. He's probably still shocked about it. I think it came too suddenly for him." Jiyeon apologised.

The man chuckled and replied, "I totally expected it so don't you worry. I know he'll have this shocked reaction, and I kind of expected him to shun me for these couple of days or months. He'll probably not want to face me at the moment. I totally understand how he feels." 

"Oh.." Jiyeon said apologetically. "But anyway, may I know why is he in the orphanage?" Jiyeon slowly asked.

"Ah.. about that. It's probably my fault. If I didn't hire a better lawyer to win the lawsuit, Myungsoo wouldn't be under the mother's custody. And... umm, the mother is really a . She just dump him there so that he could marry another guy." The man said. "It's all indirectly my fault.." The man solemnly said.

"Ah, ani. it isn't your fault.." Jiyeon said, biting her lips.

 

"I'm feeling really sorry for him right now. I always thought he'd be good under the mother's care. But didn't I thought, the mother would be that much of a gold-digger and so heartless to dump him in an orphanage home. I didn't know about this until recently when someone close to her told me about it when we coincidentally met." The man said.

"I really regretted back then. If only he is under my custody, he wouldn't be suffering like that emotionally." The man said, letting off a dreadful sigh.

Jiyeon lowered her head as the man continued on, "Anyway, I really hope you can take good care of him.. I'm sure he's an intelligent man. He'll come to his senses soon. But... my days are numbered anyway, all I want is to see him for once. Hmm, maybe I'll let fate decide." 

Jiyeon's eyes widened.

"What...What do you mean by days are numbered?" Jiyeon asked.

"I... the parkinson's disease have worsened.. The doctor says my condition is not really convincing and good. It gets worser every day, day by day. My walking strength just get worse everyday. I used to be able to walk on streets of Myeongdong, but now... *chuckles* maybe walking on the subway station is already tiring." The man said as he stood up.

"No need to send me off, I have someone to pick me up. Thanks for the drinks, I hope you guys will stay loving together." The man said his blessings as he took his leave.

 


Here's the OH-SO-LONG-ANTICIPATING Update. I'll update more regularly guys :)

COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

- Authornim