Five

The Hurtful Past

{ It's a Beautiful Spring }

 

[ In Myungsoo's House ]

 

It was a tiring work day from Jiyeon and Myungsoo as they were back in the house again. It's been 1 week already since Myungsoo met Jiyeon. Their relationship was going perfectly well, they both chatted once in a while. However, it was still obvious that Jiyeon was still a little hostile towards Myungsoo. Maybe it is all because of her past, is what Myungsoo thinks optimistically.

Silence escalated between both of them as they were quietly munching onto their food. Jiyeon had her head down, staring at her food and eating her food attentively, while Myungsoo was eyeing on her. He stared at her shyly as he placed his chopsticks on the bowl of rice as he started rolling his fingers up together. He bit his lips as his mouth opened, but words hesitated to come out from his mouth.

The sounds of Jiyeon munching reverberated around his ears. It was quiet, really quiet. And the only distinct noise was the sound of her munching on the bowl of rice. 

Jiyeon cleaned the bowl with his spoon and scooped up the rice, she placed the chopsticks down on the bowl. With full of rice, her eyes left from the sight of the bowl and looked at Myungsoo. "Umm... Myungsoo-sshi, is the rice not suiting to your taste?" Jiyeon asked worriedly.

Those words snapped him out of confusion. Still being partially blank in the mind, he shook his head and stuttered his words, "Umm.. f-ff-f-f-fine." 

Jiyeon was about to leave from her seat when Myungsoo suddenly spoke to her, "Jiyeon-sshi.. You wanna go out tomorrow? Since it's our day off?" 

Jiyeon look at him and nodded her head gently. "Alright." Jiyeon said as she picked her bowl up. "I'll go wash my dish first, once you're done, tell me, I'll wash them." Jiyeon added on.

"Ah ani. I'll help you do it, since you cooked for me today." Myungsoo said. 

"B-but..." Jiyeon hesitated but Myungsoo covered her lips with his two fingers.

"No buts... Jiyeon-sshi." Myungsoo said as he picked up his empty bowl and the dishes as he walked to the kitchen sink.

Jiyeon bit her lips but couldn't help but smile in delight.

 

[ Next day, in Myungsoo's House, going out ]

 

Whistling to his favourite tune. Myungsoo slide his coat across his arms as he walked out of his room. He walked towards Jiyeon's room, which was just opposite of his, and he opened the door to see an empty neat room.

"Oh, she's already ready?" Myungsoo said to himself as he walked out to the living room to see Jiyeon curled up on the sofa.

"Oh... you're done already.." Jiyeon said as she placed her legs down and tidied her dress and hair. 

Myungsoo smiled at her as he grabbed onto her hand, "Lets go" He said as he pulled her into the car.

Jiyeon had her eyes on her hand throughout, staring at her hands intertwining with Myungsoo's fingers in awe. "Is he... is he the one?" Jiyeon mumbled to herself softly.

"buckle up your seatbelts, we're going now~" Myungsoo said in a melodious tone as he started the engine.

Jiyeon looked at him and flashed an angelic smile.

*You're making me crazy with your smile.* Myungsoo thought as he started to drive.

 

"Where is this place?" Jiyeon said, as her eyes wandered around aimlessly and in awe. She had hanging open, gasping in awe of the beautiful view in front of her.

It was a tall, slim tower, which seemed to be polished in every edge. The building was litted up with neon lights, which join to form some design. It was nearing Christmas, and there was a picture of a Santa hat and snowflakes on the building, illuminated by the numerous neon light bulbs. She placed her hand up high, as if touching the building.

Her eyes flashed a smile, as she squealed in delight, "this is beautiful, oh my..." 

Myungsoo smirked and his hands naturally wrapped around her arms. Jiyeon was caught off-guard by his sudden action as she shoved his hands off immediately with a soft shriek.

Myungsoo's eyes widened by her shove as he forced a smile between his lips. Jiyeon placed her head down in guilt as Myungsoo said to her, "Umm.. I'm sorry. It's just that I'm too used to all these with my friend Sungyeol. Guess I should be more careful with my actions. Hahaha" Myungsoo chuckled as he bit his lips in embarrassment.

Jiyeon lips curved up as she nodded her head. "It's.. It-It's alright." She said.

"You've been here before?" Myungsoo said as he pointed to the tall, sturdy tower.

Jiyeon shook her head and sighed. Myungsoo smirked and replied, "I guess I'm the first person to bring you here. Anyway, here's Namsan Tower! It's really-reeeeaaally popular in Korea, didn't you know that? Didn't your family bring you here?" Myungsoo said.

"I've no family." Jiyeon said coldly.

Myungsoo looked at her as he jaws opened in shock, He started bowing at her repeatedly and said, "Ahhh im sorry im sorry im sorry" 

Jiyeon flashed another angelic smile as she patted on his back. "Myungsoo-sshi, it's alright. I get that a lot, and I don't really care about it at all. So, don't blame yourself." She said, as she was smiling sheepishly.

Myungsoo let off a sigh of relief as he continued on, saying, "This tower is really a tourist attraction. It wouldn't be a surprise to see a lot of tourists inside. But anyway we Koreans usually come here to date, play with friends and stuff like that. Or sometimes us Koreans would come with our families. Both mostly are couples." Myungsoo grinned at her.

Jiyeon nodded her head obediently. "Ohh." She uttered while was opened in the shape of an O, as she stare at the tall building in front of her, admiring its beauty and the beauty lights shimmering in the night sky.

"It's really beautiful here... especially in the night." Jiyeon commented.

 

"You sure you've neveeer been here before? 'Cos all Koreans should have came here at least once in my life. Be it with friends or your loved one." Myungsoo asked her as he furrowed her eyebrows.

"Nah, I didn't." Jiyeon said as she sighed. "But you've been here before? With who? Family?" Jiyeon asked eagerly.

Myungsoo's head sunk down as he bit his lips. He remained silent for another second, before words come out from his mouth. "I.. I don't have a family like you too." Myungsoo said solemnly.

Jiyeon looked at him as she started intertwining her fingers together. Myungsoo remained silent as Jiyeon occasionally glanced at Myungsoo worriedly. He was really quiet. Really quiet. There was a sense of hostility between them as Jiyeon's soul sunk back down into the silence. Both of them did not utter a word.

They remained, standing at there motionlessly.

Finally, Myungsoo broke his silence. "But it's alright. It's really alright." Myungsoo said. "No point finding them anymore." He added on as he placed his arm on Jiyeon's back as they both went towards the tower.

Jiyeon glared at him in concern. Myungsoo was grinning at her. But it all seemed so shallow. It was not genuine. His smile was not real. His feelings was clearly bottled up in his heart. It felt as if there was a heavy stone attached to his heart. Could it be linked to his family? Why does he have no family? Those were the thoughts in Jiyeon's mind as she continued glaring at him. 

"Alright then. Let the namsan-tower-conquering-journey begin!" Myungsoo shouted quietly as he threw fists into the air playfully.

Jiyeon chuckled at his actions. But she knew he was not really that enthusiastic. There was still part of him which was in the solemn mood. It now really obviously shows that it's because of his family.

*Something's not right.* Jiyeon thought.

"Myungsoo-sshi... Can we go for some coffee after this?" Jiyeon said and Myungsoo nodded in approval.

 

That trip to Namsan Tower was indeed a fruitful one. Both of them was able to admire the beauty scenery of Seoul. They was also able to conquer the top floor, although its highly possible due to the lifts avaliable. However, both of them shared their one-of-a-kind moment here as they are able to witness the beautiful skyscrapers and city lights of Seoul. The city lights all blend in together to form a beautiful masterpiece of light. It was truly a breath-taking view, memoral in Jiyeon's mind.

They took several selcas in the Namsan Tower, they took pictures of themselves with the beautiful city Seoul behind them, at different angels,at different heights.

They also played with the monuments and the activities inside the Namsan Tower, as they travelled through the heritage tour in the tower, that included several fun inspiring self-initiated activities. Both of them had a time of their lives as they walked around that tall, slim sturdy building that stood in the heart of Seoul.

 

 

[ In Ediya's Coffee Shop ]

 

"Myungsoo-sshi. Is there something wrong with your family? Is there something troubling you?" Jiyeon suddenly blurted out as she took a sip on the coffee.

Myungsoo looked at her as his eyes widened in shock. She saw through me.

"Ahh... why bother talking about that? hahahaha... nothing's wrong. Everything's alright for me." Myungsoo said as he casually let off a huge laughter that was obviously fake.

"Myungsoo-sshi. Tell me, share with me your burdens. Let me help you, you've help me, let me repay you." Jiyeon said as she wanted to grab onto his hands, his warm hands, but her inner self refrained her from doing so. Myungsoo hesitated to speak as he rolled his eyes elsewhere as he continued sipping on his cup of Americano.

Jiyeon sighed. The music the cafe was playing reverberated into her ears as she closed her eyes and let off a dreadful sigh.

"Fine." Myungsoo said. "I am an orphan. I was bornt in a hospital, but no one ever visited me, according to the nurses in the hospital I was bornt in." Myungsoo said as he cleared his throat. He drank a sip of coffee and added on, "They say my mom abandoned me, there was no personal particulars of the father as well. My father remained unknown and my mother is anonymous as well. I don't know who gave birth to me." 

"They then sent me to an Orphanage. I grew up there. But I don't really have much friends, though I did have some great time there. Then I left the orphanage in the age of 18, went to college and university, studied Business Management." Myungsoo said as a tear unconditionally fell and roll down his cheeks.

"Up to now, I've been trying to search for my family. I published my name, with my photograph when I was a child. I was hoping at least my mom would find me. At least she would look into the newspaper and saw that photo and contact me. But after all these years... it didn't happen. I guess its all my wishful thinking." Myungsoo said as he sniffed.

 

"You speak for me." Jiyeon slowly mumbled. "I'm also the same. I tried to look for my mom or dad. But there was no news of them. The lady at the orphanage said that I was delivered to the door step by someone when I was released from the hospital. That man also forbidded me to search for my mom." Jiyeon said as sighed heavily.

Myungsoo grabbed onto her hands tightly. "Jiyeon, I'll help you. I'll help you find your mom, thats for sure." Myungsoo said. " A girl like you should enjoy the warmth of family. I'm gonna find them for you, don't worry." Myungsoo said as he stared deeply into her eyes.

Those eyes was convincing. It was filled with determination and passion. Jiyeon could feel the firmness through his glare as she nodded her head. "You've helped me alot..." Jiyeon said as she bit her lips.

"That's not an excuse. You can never help someone too much." Myungsoo said. 

*Especially you.* Myungsoo thought.

Jiyeon smiled and replied, "Thank you, then I'll help you find yours too~" 

Myungsoo smiled as they shook their hands in partnership.

 

But then, "Jiyeon?" Someone called out.


 

WHOS THAT GIRL?

I gave you guys a hint. But im pretty sure its obvious lololol.

Here's the anticipated update! I'm really sorry for not updating, been kinda busy and lazy... haha.

- Authornim