Surprises and Apologies

When She Was A Boy

Tik tok Tik tok Tik tok

The clock kept ticking, but Amber paid no attention. She was lying in front of the rest room door, her only space inside Taec's condominium. She kept on remembering what happened to her yesterday; the accusations those mean girls said to her, the humiliation she felt, the moment when Taec stopped flat nose from hitting her again, and when Chansung covered her body with his uniform. She was feeling different kinds of emotions at once, and the dull, gray Tuesday morning didn't improved her mood at all.

"I guess I need to move on, or he'll scream at me again for not preparing an early breakfast." she said to herself. Amber stood up and winced slightly as pain shot through her chest. Those girls gave her one badass kick.

She folded her bedspread and comforter, placed it inside the cupboard, washed her face, brushed her teeth, and started preparing breakfast. While she was waiting for the rice to get cooked, she called Chance in an early hour.

"Mmmm" Chance answered sleepily.
"Hey Chance, it's Amber." she greeted.
"Why so early Amber?" Chance grunted.
"I'm sorry for disturbing you... I'll just ask if I can work at the coffee shop even on Tuesdays-Fridays? I have night classes during those days, and it's such a waste of time if I don't work during my free time right?" she said.
"Mmm... ok.." Chance mumbled.
"You really are sleepy aren't you?" Amber smiled.
"Yeah... hehe. sorry.." 
"It's ok, I should be the one to say sorry. I'm hanging up now ok? See you later. bye." she ended her call. Then she looked at the calendar. "I only have less than a week left before my deadline with Dang. Darn it." she said. She really needed to work hard triple times now, or she wouldn't be able to pay anything at all. Well, can she really pay her on time even with her extra hard work? She doubted.

As the sun rised, Taec left his bedroom already dressed in his uniform. He went straight towards the dining table and patiently waited for his breakfast. Amber looked at him in curiosity. It was the first time that he shut his mouth while waiting for his food.

"Today's breakfast is beef soup and white rice." she announced while she set his plate and placed his food. Then she took a step back, just like what she was always doing everyday.

Taec looked at her and raised his eyebrows. "Why are you standing there?" he asked her.

Amber knitted her eyebrows. "Maid etiquette, I guess." she scoffed.

Taec ignored the tone of her voice and continued. "Sit."

She rounded her eyes in return. "W-what???" she asked, not daring to believe her ears.
"I said, sit. Are you deaf?" he snapped. "Go get your plate and eat."

But Amber remained rooted on the spot, slightly opened. "Are you dying??" she asked.

Taec rolled his eyes and started eating. After a few seconds, Amber uncertainly get her plate and sat down opposite Taec. She was eyeing him suspiciously while she scooped rice. "You're acting weird..." she said.

"Oh am I? Then get your off from here and stand behind me again." he answered irritably. Of course, Amber did not do so. So they ate in silence, neither were daring to start a talk. They finished eating without uttering a single word -the most awkward breakfast ever.

After eating, Taec picked his schoolbag and went towards the front door.

"Wait." Amber called. He stopped walking and looked at her expressionlessly.
"What?"

Amber stood from her chair and went over the fridge. Then she took a bottle of orange Gatorade from it and threw it to Taec. "I can't go to your gym starting today, so can I just give that to you before you go to school?" she asked.
"And what if I refuse?"
"Then I have to excuse myself everyday just to go to your gym and give a bottle of Gatorade then go back to the coffee shop again." she answered.
"I thought you're working there on weekends only?" he asked, raising his eyebrow.
"Yeah.. well... I badly need money so, I need to double my efforts at work. Plus, I also need to pay my rent here, my tuition fee... You won't understand anyway, you're already rich." she said dismissively. "Aren't you going to school now?" she added.

Taec gave her a long, hard look and left. The moment he closed the door, Amber went to the bathroom and started preparing herself for work.

 

The coffee shop wasn't that busy today. All she did was to mopped the floor, wiped the counter, cleaned the windows and helped washed the dishes just to kill time. When at last she was done with everything, she took a rest on the veranda for a while.

"H-hey... Amber right?" her co-worker approached her, slightly blushing. "I'm Fei." she said, holding out her hand.



"Nice meeting you. But you can call me AJ... Um... that's what I prefer." she said, and they shook hands.

Fei sat beside Amber. "Can I ask you a question?" she said.
"Yeah, sure."
"Um... are you a boy or a girl?" she asked.

Amber paused. "Boy." she answered.
Fei sighed in relief. "Weew.."
"What's with that deep sigh?" she asked Fei, confused.
"Well... because, I thought you were Sir Chansung's girlfriend." she answered.
"WHAT?!" Amber didn't mean to raised her voice, but she was just so taken aback by what she said. Fei smiled apologetically.
"I'm sorry... but, you two were really close. You know, Sir Chansung never gave any of us a private tour at the coffee shop on our first day." she said.
"Oh well, maybe that's because we're friends." Amber answered. Yes, they were friends. He was her second friend. She smiled at that thought.
"Why are you smiling?" Fei asked.
"Oh, nothing. Never mind. So um. do you like Chance?" she asked.

Fei blushed deeper. Then she nodded timidly. Amber nodded in understanding.
"Yeah, it isn't hard to fall for Chance. He's a gentleman, he's kind, understanding, comfortable to be with, and a nice friend." she smiled at Fei. "I think you should try to get to know him more. He won't bite." she said.

They continued talking about Chance then Fei started talking about boys and girly things. Amber was not really comfortable with the topic, but she listened well, and by 4:00 p.m., she waved goodbye to her co-workers, getting ready for school. Just then, her phone rang.

I'm your man. I'm your man. Oooohh, I'm your man
Baby I'm your man. I'm your man.
Please believe me. Please be with me.

Calling... Chansung

"Hey Chance, wazzup?" she greeted.
"Where are you?"
"I just left the coffee shop, I'm on my way to school now." she answered.
"Any plans after school?" he said.
"Mmm... Maybe I'll stop by at Dang's place." she said.
"What for?"
"I'll try to talk to her about my payment. Why did you ask?"
"I'm thinking if Taec, you and I can have dinner together." he said.
"Oh, that's nice. But, how about next time?" she suggested.
"Ok, no problem." she felt him smiled at her. "Bye Amber."
"Bye."

Four straight hours of class and Amber left her school looking so exhausted. She looked up in the sky and sighed; The night was already deep and the stars shone brightly accross the sky. Calming wind swept over her cheeks and she felt very peaceful... Then she rode a bus towards her old apartment, nervous of what Dang will say after she pleaded to her to extend her deadline.
 

She knocked at the door. A few minutes later, Dand opened it and looked at her impassively.
"What are you doing here?" she asked sharply.
"Uhh.. I'm here to talk about my payment..." Amber said.
"Don't tell me you can't pay me?!" the older boomed.
"N-no! I mean... Yes. Kind of." she looked at her former landlady with pleading eyes. "Can I pay you half of the amount first? Please? Dang?"

Dang narrowed her eyes dangerously. She looked at Amber with long, searching eyes. Then she nodded.
"S-seriously?!" Amber asked the wrestler-sized woman in front of her. "Are... are you really sure you'll let me pay half of my debt for this month???" she asked in disbelief.
"Don't make me repeat myself or I'll take it back." Dang snapped.
"No! Of course not.... How about the interests?" she asked again.
"Just... forget about the interests first and focus on paying me with your debt. You know I'm an impatient woman." she boomed.

Amber nodded firmly. "Yes. Oh Dang! Thank you! Thank you!" she smiled widely at her. She's very grateful for only-Lord-knows-what thing that made this woman's heart change. "I promise I'll pay you at the end of the month!" she said.
"Whatever. Now. OUT!" Dang boomed again.
Amber quickly turned her heels but looked back at Dang. She smiled at her and waved.

"Thank you." a figure appeared behind Dang. She looked at the new comer in return.

Dang snorted. "That girl is lucky you're his boyfriend."

Chansung smiled. "We're friends." he answered. *But I think wish I were*.

"Whatever. You met your purpose, you can now get your off here." she said.
Chance bowed at her. "Thank you." he said again then he walked towards his car.
"Don't forget to pay me her interest!" Dang called back. Chance smiled and nodded.

Amber was wearing a big smile that reached her eyes on her way home. "I can't believe it, I can't believe it!!" she picked her phone and dialed Chance's number.
 

"Hello?" he said.
"Chance! Guess what??" Amber said excitedly.
Chasung smiled on the other line. "What?"
"DANG AGREED TO PAY HER ONLY HALF OF MY DEBT!!" Amber cried happily. People inside the bus stared at her. She smiled apologetically at them. "Great isn't it??" she whispered.
She heard Chance chuckled. "Yes, it's great. I'm happy for you." he said.
"Thank you. I know... I mean, Dang? she's...." Amber went on telling stories about Dang and the nervousness she felt earlier. She kept on talking and talking that she almost forgot to stop at Solar Homes.
"Oh! Wait! Wait! Stop!" she called the bus driver. The vehicle stopped abruptly. She then hurriedly got off from the bus and made her way towards 13th floor. 
"I'm home!!!" Amber greeted happily. The moment she entered the room, she smelled something burning. "What was that?"

She went over the kitchen and received a shock. Taec was wearing a cat-patterned apron, holding a spatula and was in front of the frying pan with burnt, small chickens inside. Taec looked at her irritably.

"You're late." he said,
"I'm sorry, I stopped by at my landlady..." she walked closer to him and peered at the frying pan. "What are you trying to cook?" she asked.
"Isn't it obvious? Fried chicken." he said proudly.
Amber looked at the burnt chickens and stiffled her laughter. "Yeah... Nice try." she smirked. "OW!" 
"This is all your fault. You left me with no food at all!" he said, his neck turning red. 
Amber rubbed her head and looked at the "fried chickens" again. "Did you put cooking oil here?" she asked.
"Oh. Do I have to???" Taec asked, surprised.

Amber mentally face-palmed herself. He did not put cooking oil on his chickens. How did he managed to live while she was not still here??

"I'll take care of it." She pulled the spatula from him and placed the cat-patterned apron around her waist. Then she started cooking again. Taec looked at his burnt chickens hopelessly.
"The first thing you do is to heat the pan first." Amber instructed. "Then, never forget putting your cooking oil." She gestured to the cooking oil. "Marinate the chicken first to remove the taste and smell... " she kept on instructing Taec and gave her demos. Taec on the other hand, was listening with interest. At 10:00 p.m., they finally had their dinner.

Amber was washing the dishes while Taec was watching television. After she had finished, she placed her bedspread and comforter in front of the rest room door and settled herself in. "Oi, I'm going to sleep now." she called.

Taec looked at her from the living room and walked towards her. "What are you doing there?" he asked.
"Dumb question." Amber retorted. 

Again, Taec ignorned her tone. He cleared his throat and looked away from Amber. "You can sleep at the spare bedroom...." he mumbled tonelessly.

Amber almost did not catch his words and rounded her eyes. "What???" she asked. 
Taec looked at her irritably. "Are you deaf or what?!" he shouted.
"Why are you shouting?! I just... can't believe what I'm hearing today.." she said.
He snorted. "It's like as if you see me as a cold-hearted devil." he said.
*As a matter of fact, I did.*. She smirked.
"Well, if you want to sleep there, then it's fine by me. I really don't care." then he walked out towards his room.
"WAIT! Of course I want to. Wait..." Amber frantically folded her bedspread and comforter and went in front of her room. She smiled widely at him. Taec looked at her with an odd expression. "What?" she asked.
"About yesterday...." Taec started. Amber stiffened. She forgot about what happened yesterday because of today's good news. She looked at Taec's apologetic eyes. "I'm....." he started again.
"Yes?"
"I'm.... I'm..."
"Yes? Yes??"
"S-----"
"YESSSSS?????" Amber was grinning widely now. She was going to hear the first apology from Taec.
"S--" Taec seemed to struggle for words. He looked at Amber's grinning face. "S--- SHUT UP!!!!" he suddenly shouted. Then he slammed the door shut.

Taec leaned at the other side of his door and looked down. "If there was a part of me that I don't want to feel again, that's being bullied*Her words kept on ringing inside his head. He had overheard her and Chansung's conversation yesterday. He did not know why, but he's feeling something in the depths of his heart. Pain? Pity? Sadness? He did not know.

"Sorry..." he softly mumbled.
"It's okay, I forgive you." Amber's voice answered back.

Taec rounded his eyes and opened his door. Amber was leaning at his door and she sniggered. "I heard that." she winked at him. "You actually said sorry. Haha! Well, good night!" then she smiled sweetly at him and closed the door.

Taec looked blankly at the door. Then slowly, he smiled too. Yes, he did say sorry. He can say sorry after all.