Chapter Nineteen

Eternity

Donghae's POV

 

 

Sirens were the worst sound in the world. Every other sound faded away till it was just those sirens, loud and intimidating and surplus


It hurt so much to know I was powerless. 


The need to protect her held no purpose right now, because I couldn't. As much as I wanted to and as much as I tried, I hadn't been able to help her. So I had to stand by and watch as others did it for me. 


Words washed over me harshly, knocking me backwards from the force of them, words I'd never imagined I'd have to hear. Terms used only in medicine, words created as a universal language that only doctors could communicate in, words used to cast a blanket over the harsh reality. 


I knew now that Jessica's reality was much harsher than I'd first envisioned. 


She was ill


Had been for a while, according to Kris. That really made me snap. He knew. She'd told him and yet, she'd kept it from me. Had I not been focusing all my attention to my sick mate, he would have out cold once again with the smug look that crossed his face when he told me. 


She had a lung disease. A rare one that I couldn't pronounce. Neither could Kris because he had to show me its name written down. They both, and the doctors, referred to it as LAM


Three letters. Just three mediocre, run of the mill letters. But when they were put together like that, the world just suddenly seemed a darker place. 


Lymphangioleiomyomatosis. 


The name of her disease. Too many letters to even allow it to be vocalised. 


The doctors had refused to tell me at first. When he'd uttered the words about me needing to be family, they were almost his last. How could that worthless Kris know more about my own mate?! It was never to be allowed. 


Of course, once the guy knew I was her mate, he didn't even pause. 


It caused an increase of uncontrollable smooth muscle growth. 


In short, her airways were closing. 


And it only affected females of childbearing age. And she was young to have it. How was it possible, why was it possible, that it had to be my mate affected by something so rare? 


She'd had the disease for a year. The doctor told me it was possible she still had many years ahead of her. But she was far gone. The disease had been misdiagnosed for the first few months and it had slowly progressed to the point at which it could not be cured. 


She'd already tried every treatment they offered. Every hormonal and steriod treatment under the sun, including surgery to remove one of her ovaries. When he'd told me that, I couldn't help the image of the scar that appeared in my mind and the remembrance of the lie she'd told. 


That almost killed me, the fact that all their efforts had done nothing. If that didn't scream the end, I wasn't sure what would. 


Everyone died right? 


Those words did nothing to soothe me. I'd never imagined this would be ending in a matter of years. I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with my mate. But now she'd been given a death sentence and I had to sit by and watch. 


I'd been told I had to be strong for her. How did they expect me to be strong knowing I was about to lose her again


A hand clasped my shoulder. 


"She has years, Donghae. In medical terms, that is a long time. I'm telling you, you two will still have a full life together," the doctor said with a sympathetic smile. I turned my face towards him. 


"Tell me doctor, do you have a mate?" 


"I do," he said with a knowing smile. 


"And children? Pups?" 


"Indeed, we have 5," he said as a soft frown began to mar his features as he wondered where I was taking this. I tried to smile. 


"How long have you been with your mate?"


"Since we were 16. So 37 years," he said. I stood up slowly and shook his hand away from me. 


"That is a full life. I'll be lucky to have a tenth of that," I spat. His mouth gaped for a few seconds, unsure of what to say. 


"Donghae, come on, let's go wait for her to wake up," Kris said quietly as he took a hold of my arm. I restrained myself from flying my fist towards his face. 


"Get your hands off of me," I growled as I turned and began to walk away, the sounds of my footsteps the only sound that echoed throughout the empty white washed corridors. 


Alone. I was going to be alone


I headed towards Jessica's room without another word. 


Kris's footsteps echoed behind me.