Chapter One

Eternity

 

Release.

 

When people asked how it felt, that was the only word I used to describe it. That was the right word, the fitting word. And it was true in every sense. Release: To set free a person or animal who is imprisoned, trapped, or confined in some way. I learnt the definition by heart... the definition of me.

 

"Donghae!" My mother yelled.

 

I decided to ignore her, to pretend I had music blasting through my nonexistent ear phones or pretend I'd just jumped from the window, or pretend my heart had frozen and I was incapable of hearing any more of her disillusioned words.

 

Anything to escape the hole that was the reality of life.

 

A life that was once everything to me, it was once so much, so important. I had money, I had material things, I had a high end family, I had social status, what more could a guy want? I was powerful, I was important. I was hot. I got girls. I partied.

 

I was the definition of every guys' dream. I felt...human... and it felt like home, it was who I was meant to be, not who I really was.

 

And then I woke up. I woke up to this new world my parents insisted on calling home. We were starting a fresh. A brand new life, the end of a great one and the beginning of one I didn't want.

 

"For s sake Donghae!" My brother yelled. I was on my feet in a second and I yanked my bedroom door open.

 

"I've told you, I'm not coming!" I yelled angrily. Sungmin appeared in my doorway, all 6 ft 1 of him. I scoffed at the look on his face. As I turned my back to him, he grabbed a fistful of my shirt and hauled me around.

 

"If I have to go, you have to go." He said firmly. I don't think he realised what he was saying.

 

"Oh, well it's sorted then! Neither of us go," I said with a grin before turning away again. Again, he grabbed me and this time he pulled me from the room and slammed the door behind me. He pushed me forward.

 

"Move, Hae." He muttered. I rolled my eyes and trudged down the stairs. Our mum was waiting at the bottom for us, a sappy grin lined her face as she stood in her pyjamas which were covered in flour because she'd been baking again.

 

"Have a good day at school," she said with a smile.

 

"Not unless I miraculously get hit by a car on the way there," I said with a grin. Sungmin punched me.

 

"Donghae, don't say things like that!" My mother scolded with a horrified frown.

 

"Chill mother. It's not like I would be hurt anyway," I said lightly with a roll of my eyes. "Unfortunately," I added quietly. Someone slapped my head from behind.

 

"Shut it Donghae and get your to school," Siwon said with a smirk. He placed another spoonful of his cereal into his mouth.

 

"Language," mum scolded quietly, giving him a warning look. Lucky bastard had already graduated college. Jeez, what I'd do to be 22. Even Sungmin got to leave once this year was through; Donghae still had to suffer two more years of this .

 

Because that'd all that life was now, .

 

Just the ghost of a good thing.

 

Sungmin drove like a crack head. He had the car for it though, so why the hell not. Besides, it would have to be a pretty nasty accident for us to be seriously injured so I guess you could say we could risk it.

 

And it got us to school early, which meant we had time to survey things before we had to get to class. It also meant students were still lingering around the car park...which meant all eyes would be on us as we pulled up, the hot new guys. I smirked to myself.

 

"What you smirking at Donghae?" Sungmin asked as he pulled into an open space.

 

"Hot chicks. Hot fresh chicks," was all I said as I opened the door and stepped out. I was hit by the heat from the morning sun as it washed over my already tanned skin. Today was going to be good, I loved the sun.

 

I slammed the door behind me and walked out to view the school.

 

Sungmin fell into step at my side, a grin covering his face. I was right; all eyes were on us as we made our way to the building. Some were just fleeting glances, some lingering. None of these people really mattered in the end I suppose, unless they were hot girls or popular guys. They were the only people that matter in high school because once again, we were among humans and none of them knew what we were.

 

We may have been alone here but that just made me feel better. It meant free runs in the woods without having to worry about anyone else, it meant we didn't have to get messed up in other wolf business, or pack business. Our only pack was our family, it always was and always will be that way. Just us.

"12 o'clock," Sungmin said beside me.

 

"Huh?" I muttered, looking at him with a frown. He nodded ahead of him and I followed his gaze. was the word that came to mind when I looked at that girl, but still damn hot. I smirked at her, and gave her a good lookover. She noticed my interest and smiled flirtingly.

I thought I might actually enjoy it here.

 

And then I smelt it.

 

The wind blew so softly in our direction but it washed over the intense familiar scent, freezing my bones and heating my blood.

 

On impulse, Sungmin's arm shot out to my chest, halting out footsteps. Sungmin was breathing heavily beside me, he was tense. 

 

"You smell that?" He asked quietly.

 

" yes," I whispered tensely. Both our heads turned slowly in the direction of the wind, towards the left. My eyes landed on a group of girls in the far corner of the building. One of them was turned our way; her eyes were wide and her stance was tense.

She was petite and beautiful with long red hair.

 

And she was a werewolf.

 

It felt like some sort of stare down. She wasn't turning away and neither were we. It was in our blood to be defensive and protective, especially of our packs, or in my case, family.

 

 

This was bad. This meant there was a pack in this area. We usually avoided towns with packs, I wondered whether my parents had realised when they'd brought the house.

 

She was being called; her attention snapped away from us and reverted to one of her nearby friends who began talking to her animately. Sungmin's arm fell away from me slowly. I turned to him nervously.

 

"We should tell the others," he whispered, still staring towards the pretty redhead.

 

"Yeah," I muttered. "Maybe we should go talk to her?" I suggested. Sungmin's eyes snapped to mine.

 

"No way, she might be a threat," he said firmly.

 

"She doesn't look like a threat," I said quietly as I turned to glance back towards her group of friends, she still had her back to us.

 

"She doesn't look like she'd shift in a wolf at night either," Sungmin said sarcastically. I rolled my eyes. "Maybe we should just go home. We have no idea who her pack is or how many of them attend this school. It isn't very safe for us, to be out here." He said quietly. Then with one last glance at the girl, he spun and walked back to his car.

 

I took a few steps backwards, still keeping my eyes on the redhead. Then, just as I was about to turn, she glanced back over her shoulder. Her eyes widened when she realised we were retreating. Our eyes met and my feet froze. I breathed a sigh of relief when she turned back to her friend, but it was short lived as seconds later, she turned fully and started towards me.

 

I turned quickly, stumbling as I jogged back to the car. I jumped in and Sungmin started the engine.

 

He pulled out sharply and floored the car as he drove it out of the school grounds.

 

If people hadn't been staring at us before, they certainly were now.