Awake

From Broken to Healed

 

 

KIM KIBUM POV

The sound of the door opening had me turning my head away from my crying parents and towards it. There in the doorway stood the family I held close to my heart. My SHINee members. My eyes passed over their faces quickly, searching for one in particular and there he was, staring at me and I just stared back for what seemed like an eternity. A series of emotions flickered across his face; shock, disbelief, and then finally settling into extreme happiness and love.

"Umma!!" I heard a voice cry out and I saw Taemin with tears streaming down his cheek and I smiled.

"Kibum-ah.." It was Onew hyung this time who called out for me and then suddenly they were all rushing over, with Jonghyun leading the way.

My parents turned and looked in surprise as the four boys launched themselves at me, crying openly. My mother looked at her husband and with a nod, my father got up and announced that they would leave me with my friends. I didn't pay much attention to them as they left. Instead I was more absorbed in hugging my friends and I found that I was crying as well. How long had it been since I had last seen them and hugged them like this? To me it felt just like yesterday but I knew that was not true. It was one big sob fest as we bawled our eyes out. The person who's face was buried in my neck on the right side sniffled and muttered,

"Kibum.."

My heart stopped at the sound of that voice before hastily speeding up. That voice could only belong to Kim Jonghyun, the object of my love. I felt his frame shake next to me and I reached out a hand towards him and ended up patting him awkwardly thanks to the tangled limbs of us all. The person on the left side sniffled and spoke up,

"Umma, don't ever do that again."

"Taemin..." I said, sniffling and then as if the sound of my voice was some cue of sorts, the four of them began crying harder.

"Kibum.." I heard them say as they cried and I smiled wobbly, my own tears seemed to be unstoppable.

"Guys..." I said after a while. "I don't mean to break  up our love fest but...I can't breathe properly here."

Immediately they moved away, looking at me in concern as they kept a safe distance away from me. I took this time ot take in their appearance. Jonghyun hyung had grown a bit taller but his beauty remained the same. I stared at him as he wiped at his red, swolled eyes and felt a gentle smile grace my lips. He looked so cute that I stretched my hands out towards him and he looked up in surprise at me. I beckoned with my hands for him to come closer and he did. I enveloped him in a tight hug, breathing in the scent of him as I closed my eyes. I released him and he gave me a wobbly smile. I turned to look at the others. My eyes passed over the maknae from head to toe and I saw that he, too, was wiping at his tears. He had grown a little taller and he looked even more beautiful now. I stretched my hands out towards him and Jonghyun stepped aside as Taemin came running towards me. I hugged him long and tight, my beautiful baby. His body felt more sturdy that the last time I had hugged him and I smiled. He had probably been working out but his frame was still slight. I rubbed his back comfortingly as he cling onto me tightly. When I released him, he gave me a bright smile that held a hint of shyness in them that just melt my heart. I returned his smile with one of my own and I heard someone draw in an audible breath and turned to find Jonghyun hyung hastily turning away and I frowned. Next to me I heard Taemin giggle and I looked at him questioningly but he just shook his head. I turned to look at the others and I saw Onew hyung standing there with red, swollen eyes as well. I reached my hands out towards him and he walked over, tripping on his way and I laughed. I guess his condition was still very much present. The others laughed along with me as he flushed brightly before hugging me. I hugged him tightly and he rubbed my back before releasing me. He smiled cutely at me and I returned it. He looked as if he had barely aged at all.

"I guess I'm the last one huh.." Minho said as I reached out my hands towards him. He reached over and hugged me tightly. "It's good to see you again Key."

"Yeah." I replied as he released me. I looked around at all of them and smiled brightly. "It sure is good to see you all again."

There were bright smiles everywhere and then we were chatting with each other as if nothing had happened at all. They filled me in on what they had been up to after the incident. I was a little sad when they told me that SHINee had broken up but I was touched that they had done it for me. After a while, the doctor came and informed them that it was time for them to leave and let me have some rest. I didn't want them to leave yet and they, too, were reluctant to leave.

"We'll come see you again tomorrow Kibum~" Minho said as he hugged me.

"Yeah hyung, see ya tomorrow~" Taemin said as he leaned in and kissed me on my cheek and I smiled and nodded. Onew hyung hugged me and said the same thing as well and then Jonghyun hyung came up to me.

He hugged me tightly extra long but I didn't complain. I just sat there and enjoyed the feel of his arms around me. There were many things we needed to talk about but those could wait until I was a bit more recovered. For now I was just going to focus on not-complicated stuff. The nurse came in to tell us that it was time for them to leave and I made to pull out of Jonghyun hyung's arms but he only held onto me tighter.

"Jjongie hyung?" I said trying to turn my head to see him. He wouldn't let me go and so I called his name again. "Jonghyunie..."

"I'm scared Kibum." I heard him whisper into my ears and I froze. "I'm scared that if I let you go right now you would disappear. I'm afraid I'll wake up in bed and discover that this was all just a dream."

"Hyung, I'm not going anywhere." I murmured reassuringly as I patted his back. I heard him take a deep breath before pulling back a bit to look at me.

"Promise..?" Jonghyun hyung asked in a small voice and I smiled at him. I reached a hand up to his face to caress it. He closed his eyes and leaned into my touch causing me to blush.

"Yeah. I promise." I murmured quietly and he looked at me long before letting me go.

"See you tomorrow Key." Jonghyun hyung said as he made to get up. "Ah...we, uh, need to talk....alone....sometime..."

I bit my lips in dread but nodded my head. It was inevitable that I speak with him about how I feel but before I do that there were some other people I needed to speak with. There were certain things that I needed to find out about, things that I needed to hear from other sources. I looked up at Minho as they turned to leave and he waved. When I kept staring at him, I heard him murmur something to the others and they left without him. He came and sat at my bedside and sighed.

"I know what you want Key but are you sure you should be asking me this?" Minho said and I bowed my head biting my lips. "Kibum...things...aren't as simple as when you were with us..."

"I know..." I murmured in a small voice and I heard him sigh again. "I heard you guys talking...bits and pieces of it..."

"You did?" Minho asked not as surprised as I had thought he'd be. Seeing my look he shrugged and said, "I thought you might have..you know..they said that people could still hear when you talk to them even if they were in coma..plus the machine kept beeping...at certain...parts..."

"Oh..." I replied quietly and then I flushed as I thought of what those certain parts might have been.

"I know it was him that pulled you through Key.." Minho said looking down at his hands.

"Ani...it was all of you...crying..." I replied quickly but my face flushed as I remembered feeling Jonghyun hyung's lips on mine when I had been fighting my best to get out of the darkness.

"Uh huh..your face says otherwise~!" Minho teased poking my cheek.

"YAH!" I yelled swatting at his hands. He got up and I looked up at him frowning.

"I'm going to go now." Minho said and I pouted. He smiled. "You need your rest. We'll come back tomorrow."

"Fine." I said giving up as I settled down into the bed. I was feeling a bit sleepy anyway. I closed my eyes and there was a long silence causing me to open my eyes.

"You...Jonghyun hyung...he's not..." Minho looked at him in a mixture of sympathy and something else.

"Not...?" I asked as he hadn't continued.

"Never mind." Minho said shaking his head as he turned to leave.

"I know what you're trying to say Minho." I replied quietly but he heard me. He turned to look at me sadly and I turned away, not wanting any pity. "I sort of figured it out when I heard Onew hyung and his little convo whilst I was in coma."

"Then you really understand why I said that you shouldn't be asking me for what you are?" Minho said as he ran a hand through his hair. I bowed my head again. "GOD KEY LET THE GUY EXPLAIN THINGS HIMSELF TO YOU!!"

I looked up in shock at Minho as he yelled at me. "Y-YAH WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT ME?" I asked raising my voice as well.

"BECAUSE..." Minho huffed out a long breath as he continued to stare at me. "Because you're being childish and stubborn about a situation that is already complex enough! People are going to get hurt here Key!! This won't end well if you keep behaving like this!"

"I JUST WANT SOMEONE ELSE'S OPINION OF THE WHOLE THING RATHER THAN JUST HIS SO I COULD OBJECTIVELY MAKE A DECISION!!!" I yelled at him. "I THOUGHT YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND THAT!! I THOUGHT MY BEST FRIEND WOULD HELP ME OUT BECAUSE HE WOULD KNOW BETTER THAN ME WHAT KIND OF DELICATE SITUATION THIS WAS!! I GUESS I WAS ING WRONG!!"

Minho opened his mouth to reply but the nurse walked in again stopping him. "Visiting hours are over." She said in a cold voice. "And do refrain from yelling. This is a hospital." With that she turned and left.

"Look...get some rest." Minho said running his hands through his hair. "I'm sorry I blew up on you. We'll talk....after you let hyung speak with you first."

"Fine..." I replied pulling the sheet over my head. I felt his hand pat my feet before he left and I bit my lips as his words ran through my head.

People are going to get hurt here Key!!

Yes, I know that. Now it was just a matter of who it was that's going to be the hurt party. I wondered what she was like, this girl who had vaught Jonghyun hyung's attention. She must be really pretty. Hmm..she must have a kind heart as well and a lovely personality if Jonghyun hyung had been dating her for so long. She must really love him if she was still with Jonghyun hyung even after knowing he held feelings in his heart for someone else as well, and a male at that. I hoped she was a strong girl for my Jonghyun hyung. Wait no, that was not correct. He was not my Jonghyun hyung. He was hers.

'But he loves you..' A voice piped in.

Yeah, he may love me but he loves her as well. The fact that he confessed his feelings for me to her was enough to let me know that. I had also heard the guilt in his voice and knew that he didn't want to hurt nor did he like knowing the fact that he couldn't give her what she deserve. Yes, I can figured all of these things out from just his tone alone. What can I say? I've lived with the man for years and we had become extremely close. I would like to meet her and hear her thoughts on this whole situation. I turned over in bed and stared at the ceiling. Hyung would probably call her and tell her that I'm awake now instead of going to die. How would she react to the fact that Jonghyun hyung is going to stay back longer because of me? How will she react to the news of me being awake and alive? Would she be bitter or would she be one of those type to hide her feelings? What if she give Jonghyun hyung an ultimatum? Who would he choose? Would he come to me?

"AISH! KIM KIBUM YOU'VE ONLY JUST WOKEN UP AND HERE YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT A BUNCH OF HEAD HURTING STUFF!" I admonished myself. Minho was right. I hated admitting that and was happy he'd never know or else I'd never hear the end of it. I'll just have to wait for Jonghyun hyung to tell me about everything. I sighed. What if he goes all gooey lovey dovey when he speaks of her? What will I do then?? "Aish! Now is not the time for this Key! You need to rest!"

Just then the door opened and I saw the doctor step in. He smiled at me as he approached my bed. I made no move to get up. I was a patient after all and a sleepy one at that.

"Annyeonghaseyo Kibum-goon. How are you feeling?" He asked as he checked my charts and other things.

"Annyeonghaseyo Doctor Lee." I replied respectfully raising up a bit to bow slightly. "I'm feeling..." worried, anxious and uncertain "..a tad bit tired."

"Hmm..well, you should get some rest and I will check on you again later." The doctor replied with a fatherly smile and I nodded and then he left.

I lay there, waiting for sleep to come claim me and thought back to what Lee Soo-Man hyung-nim had said to me before my parents had arrived. I had woken up the same time he had decided to come visit me. We had chat for a while as he had informed me that my parents and the other four members had been called and asked to come right away, and about other stuff. It had been small comfortable talk and he had filled me in on how my hoobaes and sunbaes had been doing. While the talk had been on music, he had broached the topic.

"Key how would you feel about performing again?" He had asked. I had stared at him as I thought that over. "You don't have to answer me right away of course." I nodded my head to that.

And then my parents had arrived and then they had begun crying and laughing and hugging and hyung-nim had left. I had forgotten all about what he had said. Now as I lay in my hospital bed on the brink of sleep I thought about what he had said seriously. Do I want to stand on stage and perform again? It would be nice to hear my fans cheering for me once more.

'Those same fans that put you in here?' a voice in my head asked and I shook my head quickly. No not all of the fans were like those girls who had attacked us.

'What makes you think you still have followers anyways?' The voice questioned and I frowned. It had a point. SHINee hadn't been active for years so maybe our fans had left the fandom.

'SHINee? What makes you think he was talking about the group reuniting?' The voice asked again and I frowned. Well what else could it be? That was the only plausible answer. And do you mind shutting up? You're not helping at all. There was no way i was going to perform on any stage without my other four members. If I go onstage again I would be introducing myself as SHINee Key. With that said, I found my eyes drifting close and smiled as I remembered how tightly Jonghyun hyung had held onto me earlier. Ahh, how I loved that hyung.

 

 

 

 

A/N: ANNYEONG~~^^ HEHE~YES I'M STILL ALIVE~~LOLZ~

I'M SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG TO UPDATE BUT I JUST HAD NO INSPIRATION.. TT^TT

AND THEN SUDDENLY IT STRUCK ME~~ AND SO I WROTE THIS~~^^

YEAH~~NOW I FEEL GREAT~~^^ AND PLEASE DO COMMENT~~^^

UNTIL NEXT TIME~~ANNYEONG~~^^