06

My Royal Romance

Yuri's POV

 

I listened to the busy sound of the chefs and servants. They rushed through the kitchen and the dining hall and the echoes of the clanking metals resonated throughout the hallway. 

"Oh gosh, this is a lot of stuff happening..." I murmured, not expecting anyone to reply. 

"Yeah," Someone said. I turned, and saw Chen standing behind me, grinning brightly. 

"Ah, hello." I smiled back at him, bowing. 

"Hey. How does it feel to be nineteen today?" he asked, chuckling sweetly. 

"I don't even feel nineteen though!" I laughed back. 

"And you don't act like one either." Chen added jokingly. 

"Hey!" I smiled wider, punching his arm playfully. 

"Sorry!" he laughed. 

"You better be," I threatened jokingly. 

"Aigo, if you're going to be with Kris forever, I feel bad for him. Your personality is so snappy." Chen teased.

"Jerk!" I said. 

"Who's the jerk?" Chen snapped back. 

"You are," I retorted. 

A hand laid on my shoulder, and I turned to see Kris towering over me. 

"Hi," I said. 

"Hey." He replied curtly, and eyed Chen, who just smiled back at him. "Hey, you should get ready now. The maids have prepared a hanbok for you to wear, you know."

I almost started squealing. If the hanbok was as great as the one I wore to my wedding, then bring it on. Scurrying away to my room, I went and got ready for the party. 

 

Kris' POV

 

"Hey, so what were you guys talking about?" I asked, feeling rather sensitive. 

Chen shrugged. 

"I just congratulated her on her birthday today. It's not like we were flirting." He answered. 

"Oh... Good then, I guess." 

Chen raised an eyebrow. 

"I thought this marriage was fake...? Why are you so concerned about her?" he asked. 

I blinked. 

"Because... everyone thinks we're married." I replied vaguely. 

Chen snorted. 

"Okay. If you say so. Don't blame me if someone goes for her." He waved his hand, and walked away, leaving me with my thoughts. 

I just scowled and walked the other way, towards the sound of clanking pots and steaming stoves. I spotted Xiumin hanging around the entrance, peeking inside the kitchen every once in a while, rocking on his heels innocently. 

"Are you here to steal food?" I asked, sneaking up on him. He jumped up at least two feet. 

"Kris! You scared me..." he sighed. "And no. I was just wondering what foods they were making." 

I raised an eyebrow, staring straight into his eyes. He looked at me anxiously and I rolled my eyes. 

"Aren't you going to have a snack now?" I mumbled, walking away, hearing Xiumin let out a high pitched squeal. Gosh, the things people do when they're hungry, I though, trying to suppress a smile forming on my lips. As I walked away, I noticed the group standing together at the end of the hall, minus Xiumin, that fat . 

"Hey guys." I said, as I joined them. 

"Hey Kris. So how's your wife? Is she enjoying her birthday?" Baekhyun said smugly. 

I shrugged. 

"She's changing right now." I answered dismissively. Baekhyun's eyes glinted. 

"Really? I bet she'll look gorgeous." He said. 

"Yeah," I agreed, suspiciously. Wait, why was I feeling so wary? Gosh, feelings are complicated. Baekhyun smiled pleasantly, and before I could say anything about his chumminess, I heard someone call my name. 

"Kris?" It was Yuri. I saw her come behind me, and when I looked at the group's face, I gulped. They all had their mouths open, and they stared intensely, not even blinking. I had to turn eventually, so I did and I tried my best to keep myself from gaping. She really was gorgeous, I had to admit. Her hanbok was yellow and pink, and her hair was let down to be long and flowy, but her bangs were pinned to the sides of her head. Yuri looked up at me with huge irises. Cute, huge irises. They were round, and ebony, darker than night, yet twinkled like there were stars in her eyes. I gulped once more, and found it hard to speak. 

"You called?" 

She nodded, smiling. 

"I noticed you, so I thought I'd say hello." 

I nodded, then cleared my throat. 

"Hi." I said. 

"Hey." she replied.

"You look very pretty." Baekhyun complimented, and I shot him a look when no one was looking. That was supposed to be my line! I'm her husband! Wait, what am I saying? I shook these thoughts out of my head. 

"Thank you." Yuri smiled to him. 

Oh gosh, I should just leave this conversation before it gets a little crazy. 

"Um, I've got to go. The butlers are expecting me soon." I lied. 

"Ah, okay." Yuri looked at me with a smile, and I quickly paced away. 

 

Yuri's POV

 

"You look very pretty." Baekhyun said to me. 

I smiled and replied, "Kamsahamnida." 

To be completely honest, I was kind of disappointed. I wanted Kris to say that to me cause you know, he's my husband and all. Right? Yeah, it's totally why, psh, of course it is. It's not because of anything else. Yeah! 

"Yeah, I've got to go. The butlers are expecting me soon." Kris told me, speaking rather fast. 

"Ah, okay." I replied with a smile, but really, I was even more disappointed. 

Oh well, you can't help it if your husband is about to go do something, especially if he's labelled as the next Crown Prince. I blinked and tried to keep the disappointment off of my face. Instead, I turned to the rest of the group and beamed. 

"Happy birthday, Yuri!" They all said loudly. 

"Thank you," I turned red with happiness and embarrassment, and looked down. 

"Awww," Xiumin mused, coming towards the group, with a piece of pastry. "Kris is so lucky to have you as a wife!" I nodded shyly. 

"Yeah," I grinned. My heart was heavy for some reason. Suho pinched my right cheek, laughing brightly.

"You're so cute!" he cooed, as if I was still a child. 

"Suho oppa," I pouted, and he laughed. 

"Okay, okay, I'll stop." He grinned. Baekhyun looked at me shyly. 

"You look really pretty," he complimented. 

"Thank you," I smiled and he smiled back at me. 

"Ugh, why is Kris taking forever!?" Luhan complained. I chuckled quietly. 

"Let him do what he wants." Lay rolled his eyes and Sehun sighed. 

"I'll go look for him?" I suggested. The group's eyes twinkled at that moment. 

"Okay, okay, bring him here! We'll wait for you!" Sehun said, pushing me a bit. 

"Ah, okay," I said, then found myself walking around the palace grounds, searching for Kris. It took a while, but then I noticed a flash of familiar blonde hair in the corner of my eye, and I turned my head sharply. It was Kris, and I was about to walk over to him, but then my heart sank deep down in my chest, and I froze, rooted to my spot, as I saw what was happening. He was talking to Eonjeong again. What could he possibly find good about that girl? I swiveled my feet, and felt myself getting hotter and hotter, as I strode down the hallway angrily. My vision became blurry as tears threatened to fall from my eyes. Luckily, I was in a less populated part of the palace, and I felt the warm tears trail down my cheeks, dropping to the floor. I stood there, trying to wipe them off, smudging my makeup along with it. That's when I realized it. I'm starting to like Kris.