05

My Royal Romance

Yuri's POV

 

I was still in lesson with the teacher. She spoke about how important elegance was, and how I always had to look good in front of the cameras. I half-listened, butI was just more focused on other things, like how I feel for Kris for example. 

We hated each other. We hated each other. Should I bold that for you guys? I hate Kris. There. I think I put it out nicely. But then do I really hate Kris? Probably not... He can be nice at times. But then other times, he's such a poop. I quickly snapped out of my thoughts as the teacher asked me a question. 

"Yuri-ah. Are you listening?" 

I nodded vigorously. She sighed, not sure if she should believe me or not, but I guess she decided to believe me because she said, "Aish, well, you're done for the day. Please go rest."

I nodded and obediently walked off properly. As I stepped outside, I spotted Kris in the garden, but before I could loudly say his name, I noticed that he was talking to someone. A girl was standing in front of him and I froze, standing there in awe. Kris was talking to a girl and it was a pretty one at that. All of a sudden, a swirl of bubbling uneasiness and anxiousness came to me. What if she stole Kris away? Wait, why do I even care? Who is that girl anyways? What's she doing with him? What the heck is he even talking about with her?

"Oh, there's Kris' ex." 

I unfroze and turned to face the speaker. Baekhyun stood behind me, and I felt my face getting red with embarrassment since he caught me just standing and staring at the two.

"What do you mean?" I asked, slightly irritated. Baekhyun just flashed me a kind smile, so I was grateful for him being nice even though I was basically being such a rude . 

"Well, you were a normal person right? You lived outside of the castle?" he asked, a twinkle in his eye. 

"Yeah." I replied. 

"Ah, that makes sense why you don't know her. See, she's Kris' ex. They really liked each other...," Baekhyun said, causing a ripple of hurt to slap my heart. Wait, what? Baekhyun led me inside and we started walking around the hallways.

"But she, um, Rin Eonjeong. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's her name." 

He just shrugged. 

"Well, they look nice together," I admitted, even though I was reluctant to say so. 

I looked down at my feet and Baekhyun nodded. 

"But Eonjeong didn't want to get married." He chuckled a bit. "She says she's too young."

"How old is she?" I asked, fearing the answer. 

He took a second to think. 

"Eighteen...?" Baekhyun said slowly, as if he wasn't sure. My eyes bulged wide open, and I stared him straight in the eyes. 

"What? That's like, a four year difference!" I whined loudly. Baekhyun looked at me, amused. 

"Well, you and him have a four year difference too...," he chuckled. 

"I'm turning nineteen in a few weeks," I objected, frowning a bit. "But that doesn't matter, I'm already technically older than her."

"But anywho, love is not a number."  Baekhyun spoke, as if he was saying this from experience. I didn't bother asking him though. Instead, I just nodded. 

"Okay," I replied obediently. By this time, I had no idea in the castle where we were. "Aigo, the castle is so big," I gazed overhead, only to see sparkling chandeliers. Baekhyun laughed. 

"You get used to it after a while. I've been here since I was really little." His eyes were reminiscing. I swallowed a lump in my throat and asked a question that's been bothering me ever since I learned they lived in the palace. 

"Why did you even live here in the first place, if you don't mind me asking?" 

Baekhyun just looked at me. 

"Kris didn't tell you?" he asked. 

I shook my head. 

"He only said it was personal." I answered. 

Baekhyun laughed again. 

"There he goes again, being totally vague."

Then, he got quieter.

"Well, to be honest, I wasn't really clear on why I had to live here. I think I was about two, when I started living here? Yeah, most likely. But then I grew up I guess. And that's when I found out." 

Baekhyun's eyes showed hardness, and I wondered if I should just dismiss this conversation. He just gave me a gentle smile. 

"It's okay for me to talk about it. It's nothing that bad," he said, as if reading my mind. Then he continued on. "Well, anyways, some person went up to me one day, and asked me if I knew what I was. I shook my head. Then she said it. She said I was a royal as well. Kris' cousin. My parents put me here because of some stupid eloping and escaping reason." He shrugged and I stared at him, unsure what to say. "It doesn't matter now though. I'm happier here." He smiled honestly.

I couldn't find the right words to say, so I just said, "So does that mean the other ten guys are Kris' cousins too?"

Baekhyun nodded. 

"But they all have different parents. Luhan and Lay are siblings, but the rest aren't." 

"Ah," I nodded. "Well, do you ever get tired of the palace?" 

He shook his head. 

"Of course not. The palace is huge and fun." Baekhyun answered. 

I raised an eyebrow. 

"What?" Baekhyun looked at me. 

"Well, you've never wanted to see outside?" I asked. He thought about it for a second. 

"Well maybe once or twice, but I don't mind. It's still fun here." Baekhyun answered. 

I was struck. How could he just like being in one place? I'd probably go insane. 

"And I always hang out with Kris," Baekhyun added, then looked forward darkly. "Until Eonjeong came around. Like, last year or so. Then, he spent all of his time with her." 

Then, he heaved a heavy sigh. I smiled and patted his shoulder. 

"Well now Kris hangs out with you guys right?" 

Baekhyun nodded cheerfully. Before we could say anything else, I heard someone saying my name. 

"Yuri," Kris' voice echoed throughout the long hallway. 

I stopped to meet my husband, and  I was somewhat cross with him. 

"Yes?" I asked. 

"What are you doing here?" Kris shot Baekhyun a look, and it was clear that he was still sore about Baekhyun's teasing yesterday.

"We were talking and hanging out." I answered curtly. 

Kris looked at me. 

"Fine. I'll be in our room if you need me." He answered back just as curtly, then walked away.

 

Kris' POV

 

Gosh, girls are so bipolar. First, they defend you, but next, they defend someone else. It's crazy huh? I shook my head to alieviate it, and I started to think about my conversation with Eonjeong. I couldn't forget about it and it resonated loudly. 

"I still love you, you know." Eonjeong told me quietly. She looked down at the grass, and a ripple of guilt smashed me. 

"I'm married." I told her, trying to resist the feelings that thrashed in my heart. 

"It's not like you like each other anyways. You still love me, right?" she asked. I looked into her eyes. They twinkled, but I couldn't look at her the same. Why? Before, I was head over heels in love with her. What's wrong now? 

"I can't love you anymore," I replied, dismissing my thoughts. Eonjeong looked at me, hurt. 

"I thought you said we'd be together forever." Her eyes showed a flash of disbelief and fury. I shrugged. 

"Well, you're the one who left me." 

Eonjeong looked at me, defeated. 

"Kris..." she started to say, but I interrupted her. 

"I really need to get back to my wife right now." The word 'wife' engulfed me with such pride that I finally had the upper hand and that I could make Eonjeong jealous, but then I felt guilt. If Yuri ever discovered about Eonjeong, it'd be merciless teasing from her and even if she didn't say anything, I'd know that she'd feel guilty for separating me from her, even though it wasn't her fault. Well, not technically, at least. 

But when I went to her, she acted like I was the one at fault, but Baekhyun - and him of all people - was just standing there, watching us with a glint in his eye. Why was she even with Baekhyun anyways? What's so good about him?What does he have that I don't? Please, compared to me, he's not even that cute! And why do I even care..?

Irritated, I just stormed off into our room. Slamming myself onto the bed, I laid there, glumly, wondering what to do now. 

 

Yuri's POV

 

I was confused on what to do. Should I go comfort Kris or do I stay with Baekhyun and hang around a little more with him? Kris probably doesn't want to see my face after I was so rude to him, but the guilt was overwhelming. I said good bye to Baekhyun, and excused myself to go to our room. As I turned to a corner, I met face to face with that girl Kris was talking about. 

"I'm sorry-" she started to say, before looking at me. She curled her lip menacingly and there was an aggressive glare in her eyes. 

"Do you happen to be Shin Yuri?" she asked, fury sprinkled in her tone. I nodded, and it was probably the worst decision I've ever made. It's like I was asking to be killed, oh God. 

"I'm Rin Eonjeong. Kris' ex-girlfriend," Eonjeong said, emphasizing the word 'ex-girlfriend.'

"H-hey." I said, not daring to meet her gaze, although it was proper etiquette. 

"Annyeong." Eonjeong said icily, then drew close to my ear. "You'll never be a good Crown Princess, I can tell you that. You should rid of yourself before you mock Kris' image."

From this mere sentence, I stared at her in annoyance, wanting to kick her . I was about to retort, but then Eonjeong continued. 

"Believe me. I'm never wrong. And if you love Kris, don't. I'm getting him back, and I'm becoming Crown Princess."

She walked away, and I balled my fingers into fists, and kept walking on. Dang it Kris, why is Eonjeong so ugh!? How could you date someone like that? She's horrible, what the heck! I stood in front of the door to our room and sighed. I opened it up and saw Kris fast asleep. Sighing, I covered him with the thick blanket. 

"Pabo. I was going to say sorry too." I huffed. 

I blinked and noticed the contours of his face. He had a sharp chin, soft cheeks, irresistible hair and his chest rose and fell as he breathed softly. I smiled and took one last look before sighing, and going to the desk to study.