03

My Royal Romance

Yuri's POV

 

I blinked, taking in the sunlight as it streamed through the curtains. Kris had already left for his duties, and I stood in our room, still brushing my messy bedhair. I had gotten dressed into a periwinkle dress and white heels, and was waited for Subin to come to my room and pick me up, so she could give me a tour of the palace. Sighing, I checked outside the door, and there was no sign of her. I turned my head left, and jumped up in fear when I heard an unfamiliar voice. 

"Hey, do you know where Kris went?" 

I turned my head to face the person, clutching my chest. 

"N-no," I stuttered, alarmed. 

"Oh, darn it. Hey, are you his new wife?" he asked, interested. 

I nodded. 

"Oh, you're pretty cute. Don't worry about Kris. He teases everyone when he first meets them." The stranger gave me a warm smile, the total opposite of what Kris gives me. 

"Thanks. And I wouldn't call it teasing. More like, taking a on someone." I reply. 

He laughed. 

"You should wash your mouth out with soap," he grinned. "Anyways, he gets nicer. Trust me." 

"Really." I answer in disbelief. He nods. 

I look at him, but dismiss his genuine optimistic personality. It was totally unrealistic to be so happy, but he was. It was like a beam of light shining directly in my face, and it wasn't particularly a good light at the moment. 

"Who are you?" I asked, staring at him. 

He gave a smile. 

"You'll know soon, your Highness," he replied. "Well, I've really got to go and find Kris. Have fun in the palace! I think you'll be staying here you're whole life!" 

He bowed and quickly paced off, and I swear, I thought I heard my vein in my neck pop. Spend my whole life with Kris?Ick! No freaking way! I'd rather sit with monkeys that eat each other, other than spend my life with Kris. Besides, that guy probably didn't even know what he was talking about anyways. How can I do that?

 

Subin came by shortly after that mysterious guy had left, and toured the palaced with me. By the time we were done, I was so exhausted. I would have never thought that the palace could be so huge and have so many staircases especially.The whole place is possibly bigger than Kris' ego.

"Aish, your Highness, Kris and some of his friends are going to meet you, so please head to the main room," Subin said, checking her watch. She quickly scurried off after bowing, and I made my way there, taking my time as I stared at my surroundings, not so used to the whole place yet. The whole place just looked the same and I'm pretty sure I'm just making circles everywhere. I finally arrived at the room, and I saw the mysterious guy, in a group of attractive boys, and oh, Kris. 

"Oh, you're here, Yuri," Kris looked at me as I walked nxet to him. He wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me closer, much to my dislike. I didn't say anything since there were guests in front of me. 

"Hey guys, this is my 18 year old wife. You jealous?" he smirked, and raised a brow. 

They looked at me, and inspected me with such closeness, it suddenly got hotter in the room. 

"Hello, I'm Shin Yuri," I said, bowing. They bowed back as well. 

"I'm Baekhyun," the familiar guy introduced himself. Everyone else introduced themselves, and I was blurringly trying to match all their names with their faces. 

"It's nice to meet you all," I said, smiling. 

"Nice to meet you too, Yuri-ah," Baekhyun smiled. Kris suddenly held me tighter, and I pinched the small of his back in return.

"Watch yourself," he said in a low voice when they weren't looking. 

"Hold me looser, you chin," I said wryly, keeping my smile. 

"Says the one with the chin." he retorted. I pouted to that, and it may have been the wrong moment because that's when they all turned back and saw me.

"Aw, the wife is pouting to the husband! Aw! I'm sorry we should leave," D.O. mused. 

"Ah, no, it's alright, I'm sure Yuri has some duties to tend to." Kris said, unfazed. 

D.O. raised an eyebrow. 

"Don't you want to help her?" he asked. 

"It's her personal business." he vaguely explained. D.O. just nodded, although there was some confusion in his eyes. 

"Ah, yes. I should take my leave now." I said, bowing deeply. 

"Okay. I'll see you later." Kris replied, kissing my forehead. 

"Goodbye Yuri-ah! We'll see you later!" Luhan grinned as I walked out, the spot that Kris kissed still burning into my skull. 

 

I sat down in the dining room, and my assistants were teaching me proper etiquette. Well, I knew manners, but it's just a course on more complicated things that make me look fancy, but everyone knows that I'm fine already. No, just kidding, I have no idea what the heck which utensil was which, like there were three forks and spoons each and it's so confusing. 

But anyways, I was being taught what the difference between a fork and a knife was. Yeah, it's not that fun. I shot Subin a glance to see if she'd save me, but she gave a sympathetic stare and a shrug. Sighing, I sat there for another three hours, listening to them blab on and on and on.

I finally got to go outside after a while, and when I got out there, I swear, I felt like a free bird. I was stretching when I heard someone call out to me. 

"You having fun?" 

I turned around, and saw Kris. 

"Oh, hm, yeah. Where's your friends?" I asked, curiously looking for them. 

He smirked. 

"They're inside," he answered. 

I raised a brow. 

"Why aren't you with them?" I asked. 

"Oh, they think I'm in the bathroom right now," Kris snickered. "I just wanted to see how miserable you are." 

I scowled. 

"Well, I'm tons of miserable." I reply. "I know what the difference between what a fork and a knife is! I don't need teaching."

"Oh, Yuri, yes you do." Kris laughs before continuing on. "You have the manners of a monkey. It's horrendous." 

I pouted. 

"Says you, rat ." I retorted. 

"Watch your language. I can't have the princess using a foul mouth to speak to others." Kris ordered. 

I shut my mouth, but I gave him a narrow glare. 

"Anyways, how's it going?" he said, looking at me. 

I rolled my eyes. 

"Horrible. They aren't even teaching me anything useful." 

He smirked. 

"Trust me, donkey, it's useful." 

"D-donkey?!" I stuttered, surprised and irritated that he called me that. 

"Yeah. Donkey. That's a nice name. It suits you. I'll call you donkey from now on. It's your new nickname." he teased. 

I was totally not going to back down from this challenge. 

"Yeah?" I scoffed. "Well, I'm calling you Sloth. Cause you're slow and ugly." 

He smiled at me. 

"Touche. It seems like the only thing you can do right is have good comebacks at people. Nice job, Donkey." 

"You're not so bad yourself, Sloth." 

In that moment, I really thought we'd gotten closer. Yet, not in the way I wanted... Maybe? 

 

I went back to the dining room shortly afterwards, resuming my teachings. 

"Yuri-ah, where have you been?" the teacher asked. 

"Clearing my head outside." I responded. 

"Hm. You were supposed to be back five minutes ago." 

"Ah, I was talking to my husband. Do you have any qualms against that?" I said, a challenging tone in my voice.  

The teacher just looked at me seethingly, and replied, "No. None at all, your Highness." 

Yeah, maybe I could get used to royal life. 

"What did you talk about?" the teacher asked 

"Hm. Personal things." I replied. 

I certainly wasn't going to tell her that Kris and I are calling each other Donkey and Sloth. 

"What types of personal things?" she pressed on. 

Dang, this woman wants a challenge doesn't she? It only took me a second to think up of an excuse. 

"Of the future, of course," I said, using so much aegyo, it'd kill someone, and it was certainly killing me right now. She just gave me a face that said oh-my-goodness-why-did-he-marry-this-girl. It's totally clear who won this time. I spent the rest of my time studying, and when it was 9 PM, Kris came to pick me up. 

"Ah, hello. Am I interrupting?" he asked, leaning over me. 

He acted so casually, I could've thought of him as a different person, like, he totally didn't hate me. But ah, if only life was that simple, I sighed silently to myself. 

"No, her Highness is done with her studies. We will begin again in the morning." She rapped, closing the textbooks, and stuffing them into her bag, walking away before I could say anything. Kris held out his hand and I took it, looking at him with tired eyes. 

"Do I look bad?" I asked. 

"You always look bad. Don't worry about it." he replied, manuevering me to our room. 

"Did your friends leave yet?" I asked. 

He raised a brow. 

"Did no one tell you? They live in the palace." he replied. 

I glanced at him, surprised.

"What?" I said, shocked. 

"Yeah, I thought you knew. They're only staying here though because we've been the best of friends since we were kids." Kris' eyes were wistful and nostalgic, so I decided not to retort. 

"Wonderful." I said. "Anything else I should know?" 

Kris thought for a second. 

"Always change in the bathroom." he warned. 

My eyes grew wide. 

"They're single and men. Trust me. You're better off in the bathroom." 

"O-okay," I said awkwardly. "But I'm married to you." 

Kris gave a small laugh. 

"It doesn't matter." 

Kris led me into the room, and we didn't talk anymore.  I brushed my teeth, redressed myself, and climbed into bed, laying there with my head full of thoughts. I really didn't know anything about Kris, the palace, or anything. I'm probably just an intruder to them. What if they secretly all hate me, but pretend to like me? What if they're planning something behind my back?

I slept uneasily that night. Being in the palace, just as I had thought, was harder than it really seemed. I just hope I make it out alive and I seriously hope it's a happy ending.