03

I Won't Leave You

Today I was finally starting my first shift at the music store. I was pretty excited to finally do part of what I was dreaming of. I dreamt of music every day, and now I was finally having a career with music as a part of it.

            I straightened my uniform before grabbing my iPhone and car keys and leaving the house.

            I drove as fast as I could without breaking the speed limit too much, because I really didn’t want to be late on my first day.

            When I got to the music place, I parked my car near the front since the parking lot was nearly deserted, and made my way into the store.

            “Annyeong, you must be Jacklyne!” A tall Korean girl said, emerging from an office of some sort. “My name is Kim Haneul, and I’ll be instructing you today,” she said, smiling at me.

            “Annyeong-haseyo, Kim Haneul,” I said, bowing slightly.

            “If you don’t mind me asking, where did you learn Korean?” She asked, straightening some papers on the front desk. The store was pretty big, and there were two floors from what I remember. The first floor had instruments that you could rent or buy, and the second floor was where lessons and classes were held.

            “Oh, I’ve lived in Korea since I was six when my dad was transferred here,” I said, smiling slightly. I remembered how angry I was when my parents told me that we were moving to Korea, but now I’m grateful and it was one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I’ve met amazing people, and accomplished many things.

            She nodded. “Well, it must be your lucky day today because we’re having a sale and we’ll have many costumers. How are you on the cash register?” She asked, coaxing me behind the desk.

            “I’m fine with it. I’ve worked as a cashier many times,” I said. I’ve had many crappy jobs where I’m always the cashier. I’ve had to get crappy jobs just so I can pay the bills, and it didn’t really matter what job it was.

            “Great. We’ll be opening in five minutes so just let me guide you through some basic things, and then we can get started.”

 

After about five minutes of learning about the cash register, the customers started filing in. Haneul and another co-worker took most of the customers, while I sat around and waited for someone to buy something.

            “What sale are you having today?” A flirty voice asked as I was flipping through a karaoke magazine. Oh great, the last thing I need is some low-life loser flirting with me.

            When I looked up, I saw none other than Kwon Jiyong, what a surprise. “Well, every guitar is fifty percent off, and with it you get a free guitar pick and five dollars off any music book of your choice,” I said, remembering Haneul’s exact words from this morning.

            “Thanks, Jacklyne,” he smirked, and went over to the guitars. Omo, how did he know my name? When did I ever expose my name to him?

            “Jacklyne, I want you to work on the floor for a bit,” Haneul said, obviously noticing the slight funk I was in.

            I immediately went over to the guitar section that Jiyong was in. “How do you know my name?” I whispered the second I was beside him.

            He laughed. “Aren’t you supposed to be trying to sell me things?” He asked, staring deeply into my eyes, making me feel like I was going to melt in a puddle of goo.

            “Just tell me,” I said, trying to sound un-amused.

            “Well, today I’m looking for an acoustic guitar, I think. Can you show me where those are?” He asked, smirking again and looking back to the wall of guitars in front of him.

            “They’re over here,” I muttered, leading him to the corner where we had a bunch of acoustic guitars leaning.

            “Ah, can I play this one? I want to make sure I like the sound before I buy it, you know?” He asked, inspecting the most expensive one.

            “One second,” I said, quickly speeding over to Haneul. “Haneul, a customer wants to test out one of the guitars,” I whispered. I didn’t want to tell her it was G-Dragon because I currently wanted his attention.

            I mean... what?!

            “Take him upstairs. We don’t have any classes running until later so bring him into one of the classrooms and attach the guitar to an amplifier,” Haneul said, proceeding to work the cash register.

            I slowly nodded and ran back over to Jiyong. “Um... follow me,” I said, to get his attention.

            He nodded and I lead him upstairs, into one of the classrooms. I began to feel really awkward and uncomfortable when the door shut and I realized that we were in here by ourselves.

            “Can you plug in the amplifier?” I asked. What a stupid question. I should be the one plugging in the amplifier.

            “Sure,” he said, plugging in the guitar and sitting down on the amp.

I looked around the room awkwardly and noticed a chalkboard, and a white grand piano with a microphone perched on its stand next to it. I couldn’t wait to be there, teaching kids and singing myself.

            I could just hear the track of Missing You start as I tried to teach the aspiring musicians the guitar and piano solos. My fingers tapped on the cover of the piano as I imagined the song, and I even started singing when it got to the chorus. It wasn’t until the music stopped abruptly that I realized that I wasn’t imagining and Jiyong was playing the guitar right behind me.

            My eyes locked with his for a second before the door burst open.

            “What’s going on here?” Haneul’s stern voice asked. “Jacklyne, you’re supposed to be on the floor. I have costumers leaving because they aren’t getting service,” she scolded.

            “It’s my fault,” Jiyong said, standing up and unplugging the guitar. “She needed to stay around as I played with the notes and I was taking too long. I’ll be buying this guitar,” he explained.

            Haneul just slowly nodded, looking a bit star struck, and then closed the door and went back downstairs.

            “Can I have your number?” Before I knew it Jiyong was standing directly behind me, with his mouth close to my ear.

            I shook my head. “No, but you can go downstairs and buy that guitar,” I said, going over to the door and opening it in one, swift movement.

            He sighed in defeat. “Oh, and by the way, I know your name because you’re wearing a name tag,” he said before leaving the room.

            Wow, I was such a loser.

 

When I got home from a long and stressful day at work, there was a box of pizza on the kitchen table with a few slices left. I quickly grabbed two and ate them like there was no tomorrow. Work really takes a lot out of you, and I was starving.

            “Jacklyne, I can’t believe what I saw today,” SunLee said, coming out of her room and scaring the out of me. I almost dropped my last slice of pizza.

            “What did you see?” I asked, stuffing my face some more.

            “I saw G-Dragon. He was at the music store you work at now. And another weird thing I saw was you, singing with him by yourselves, locked in an empty room,” she said, leaning on the table.

            “SunLee... I can explain,” I really couldn’t explain, but it was worth a try. I mean, how do you explain a story like this and not sound like a complete idiot?

            “I’m listening,” SunLee said with a blank expression on her face.

            I began to explain to her what happened that night at the club and how I thought that Jiyong was a total jerk and I didn’t want to tell her because I didn’t want her to freak out when I told her that G-Dragon from BigBang was flirting with me.

            When I was done explaining, she just had a huge smile on her face. “Omo, I can’t believe it! You’re going out with G-Dragon!” She yelled, jumping up and down and clapping for joy.

            “Um... no,” I said, looking confused.

            “What do you mean, ‘um... no’?” She asked, also looking confused.

            “I mean, he did ask me if he could have my number, but I said no. I don’t want to go out with a guy like him, Sun,” I said, turning away from her in embarrassment.

            “Just because he works for YG doesn’t mean you have to hate him. It’s not his fault he got through when he auditioned,” SunLee said, not having any pity for me at all. That’s just what best friends are like.

            “Yeah, but...” I was running out of excuses.

            “Face it, you love him,” she teased.

            “I do not!” I protested, feeling myself blushing. Ok, he was kind of adorable and just an overall amazing performer, but I do not love him.

            “I can see you blushing, Jacklyne. It’ll be a matter of time before you finally admit it to yourself,” SunLee said, strutting her way into the living room.