02

I Won't Leave You

Jacklyne’s POV

            “Jacklyne, drive faster! Not unless you want us to have in the car,” my best friend, SunLee joked, swinging her leg over her boyfriend, Jongho’s lap. Right now, I was ashamed to call both of them my best friends.

            “Don’t get seamen all over my leather seats,” I complained, steering through traffic as fast as I could. I didn’t want SunLee to flash me any time soon so we really did need to get home as soon as possible. Maybe I’ll get a hotel room tonight or something.

            Being the third wheel in a friendship like this was never a good thing. You were always forced to be the designated driver and you had to face the sound of your roommates having all the time.

            “When was the last time you had , Jacklyne?” SunLee slurred, obviously not in her right mind currently. We’ve had this discussion when she’s sober and Jongho is working.

            Usually when Jongho is working, those are the nights when SunLee and I sit on the floor in the living room, eating, drinking wine, and having girl talk. It’s my favourite part of the week because I can talk to SunLee about anything.

            “Yeah Jacklyne, you need to loosen up a bit. I caught a glimpse of you sitting with someone at the bar. Why didn’t you go home with him?” Jongho asked, smirking down at SunLee as he basically ate her face off.

            “Because he was a douche bag,” I murmured, turning into our driveway.

            Jongho and SunLee ran out of the car and waited impatiently at the front door as I slowly walked up the walkway. I was planned on making a run for it to my bedroom, grabbing my debit card and running back out to my car to go to a hotel for the night.

            I unlocked the door and headed towards the direction of the room. SunLee and Jongho didn’t make it past the couch, and I tripped on the stupid carpet in the stupid hallway.

            I began crawling as quickly as I could to my bedroom, and once I got in my room I slammed my door and began to rummage through my sock drawer, looking for my debit card. I hide it there because SunLee knows the four number code and I can’t risk her taking out all my money to buy a new purse.

            That stole my debit card. I knew I chose the worst hiding spot ever. I groaned and looking through my wallet. I only had 1000 won and a credit card that I hadn’t paid for in ages.

            I sighed, turning to my next plan. I took my iPhone out of my pocket and grabbed my earphones. I lied in my bed and blasted Missing You by G-Dragon as loud as I could. I still couldn’t believe I met him tonight.

            I’m not a huge fan of BigBang; I just like a few of their songs. And G-Dragon was as much of a douche as I thought he was. SunLee always yelled at me because she was a fan and I always called him gay.

            But tonight, when he was hitting on me, he made me feel nervous for some reason. Maybe I was nervous because a huge K-Pop star was hitting on me, or maybe because he was a little better looking in person. But he made me feel like dirt when he was practically begging for me to get in his pants, just like he probably does with many other girls. He probably has herpes.

            But even as the song changed to Sherlock by SHINee, G-Dragon’s lyrics still echoed through my head, being that annoying song that just won’t leave your mind for what seems like forever.

Nae mameun iri uljeokhande malhal sarami eopda
Nado gakkeum hwaljjak utgo sipeunde gyeoten amudo eopda
Maybe I’m missing you

 

 

In the morning, I was the only one awake at 2:30pm. Usually SunLee was up early because on some days Jungho had to leave early for work, but obviously last night they were doing things and they’ll be sleeping for a while.

            I made some bibimbap for lunch, and packed some up for SunLee and Jongho to eat when they finally woke up. Today was the day I find out if I got the job as a music teacher. Music was definitely one of my passions, but I was never going to be famous, so might as well be a teacher.

            I applied for Kim’s Music Studio, which is a place where kids go for singing lessons and learning how to play instruments and stuff. I was really excited to hear if I got the job because I’m really short on money and SunLee likes to steal all of my money.

            I watched Family Guy with my phone close beside me. Whenever I was excited about something, time seemed to go by way too slow for me. I was looking at my phone every five seconds, and I couldn’t wait any longer.

            When I when finished my second bowl of bibimbap, I heard my phone ring and I picked it up faster than I even thought was possible.

            “Annyeong-haseyo,” I answered, trying not to sound as excited as I was.

            “Is this Jacklyne?” The person on the other end asked.

            “Ne.”

            “This is Kim’s Music Studio. We called to tell you that you got the job and you’re starting first thing Monday morning,” the person said, sounding excited for me, which felt nice.

            “Thank you so much! Will you email me my schedule?” I asked, sounding more preppy and excited as usual. But we’ve already pointed out that I’m extremely excited about this.

            “Yes we will. I’ll see you on Monday!” They hung up, and I was left on the line, feeling too excited for words.

            “Yes!” I yelled, standing up and running around the small house.

            “Shut up, Jacklyne! We’re trying to sleep!” Jongho yelled, hitting the wall with his fist.

            “I got the job!” I yelled.

            “Good for you! Goodnight!” He yelled. I knew he didn’t sound like he cared currently, but when he wasn’t tired he would be happy for me, and so would heavy-sleeper-SunLee.

            I was so happy; I decided to look around for my debit card so I could go shopping. I went into SunLee and Jongho’s room, knowing they would be covered by their blanket, and grabbed SunLee’s purse.

            I went back into the hallway, pulled her wallet out, and took my debit card from her wallet. I threw everything back into her bag and went into my room to get dressed.

            I quickly threw on the first thing I saw and sped out the door, too excited to be waiting in my house.

            I got into my car because the grocery store was pretty far from my house, and blasted 2NE1 music all the way there.

 

Once I got to the grocery store, I got all the things I needed, and added a few bottles of banana milk because it was my guilty pleasure. My roommates hated it, which just meant more for me.

            I grabbed a lot of junk food and not so much dinner items because even though I’m a pretty good cook, I hated cooking. It took so much effort just to make a meal for your friends, who don’t care what you put into their mouths.

            As I put my stuff onto the checkout counter, I felt someone breathing down my neck, obviously this creep was standing a little too close.

            “Excuse me?” I shot, whipping my head around. And standing there, with his face about an inch from mine, was Kwon Jiyong, better known as G-Dragon.

            “Someone likes banana milk,” he teased, looking at the bottles of milk I got that were lying on the counter, waiting to be checked out.

            “Don’t you have obsessed fans to attend to?” I asked coldly as I moved up in the line so that it was finally my turn.

            “No. Famous people have to shop to,” he said, putting a package of Spam on the counter.

            I burst out laughing. “That’s definitely a huge shopping trip there,” I teased, turning my gaze to the checkout.

            The cashier quickly scanned all of my items, and then told me my total. “That comes to nine thousand won, even,” she said, smiling at Jiyong instead of me. There’s an example of an easy girl.

            I put my debit card into the machine, and my eyes fell when the stupid machine said ‘Declined.’ SunLee must’ve spent practically all of my money.

            “Sorry, it looks like you’re short by four thousand won,” the cashier said, smirking at me.

            “Well, I guess I can-”

            “Here’s the money,” Jiyong said as he passed the cashier 4000 won. Oh great, now he’s waving his money in my face.

            “You don’t have to, I can just-”

            “Take it. I don’t need it,” he said, interrupting me again before the cashier dismissed me and scanned his stupid can of Spam.

            I quickly put all of my stuff into my bag, and then one of my banana milk cans fell out of my hand and onto the floor. As I went to pick it up, my bag slipped out of my hands and all of my things fell to the floor.

            I heard Jiyong laugh as he went to the floor to help me pick everything up and stuff it back into my bag. “Oh look, you have Missing You by G-Dragon on replay,” he said as he looked through my iPhone.

            “Give it back, idiot!” I yelled, grabbing it from him and stuffing it in my back pocket. I really need to learn how to put a password on that stupid thing. I’m sure it’s simple, but I’m hopeless with that kind of stuff.

            “Now is that any way to speak to a Korean superstar?” He asked, smirking at me. His stupid smirking and snide remarks were really getting on my nerves. He needed to learn how not to be a .

            “Goodbye, Jiyong,” I said, grabbing my car keys and my bag and quickly escaping the grocery store that I will never go to ever again.

 

I drove home as slow as I could and took all the country roads because I really didn’t want to talk to anyone right now. I needed to sort out what I was feeling for Jiyong. Why was I so angry when he offered to finish paying my bill?

            He was famous. That was why I found him so obnoxious. He was working for Y.G. That’s why I hated him so much.

            When I was seventeen, I auditioned for Y.G. Singing was my dream, but that dream came crashing down when I didn’t make it in. Apparently I wasn’t superstar material and they couldn’t see me going anywhere.

            I quickly shook those thoughts out of my head as I pulled into my driveway. I saw SunLee and Jongho in the front window, eating the bibimbap that I left them. I knew they would stuff their faces when they finally got up.

            I brought everything in the house and put my bag on the kitchen counter and began unpacking everything.

            “So Jacklyne, are you excited for the G-Dragon performance I’m forcing you to watch today?” SunLee asked. I could feel her smirking at me.

            “Not unless you give me all that money you took from my bank account,” I said, avoiding eye-contact with her as I put my banana milk in the fridge.

            “Oh come on, I only took... never mind. You know I’ll pay you back eventually. But on the more important subject of G-Dragon, he’s going to be performing tonight before the first performance of all the new YG groups. I’m so excited because apparently he got a new haircut!” SunLee enthused. She was always way too excited when it came to the subject of G-Dragon.

            “Sometimes I think you love him more than me,” Jongho joked, eating his last piece of bibimbap. “Great food by the way. You’re still an amazing cook,” he added as he pushed his plate away.

            I groaned and grabbed his plate and put it in the sink. “Do you guys remember anything from last night when we were at the club?” I asked. They were pretty waisted last night, so I hoped SunLee didn’t remember seeing me with G-Dragon.

            “At the club, no. After the club, yes,” SunLee said, smirking at Jongho. She looked back at me. “We really need to find you a guy so you can get laid. When was the last time you had ?” She asked, and I was reminded of what happened last night in the car.

            “Ugh, I’m not talking about that with you right now,” I said, going to sit on the couch to watch some TV, and avoid the topic of .

            I heard Jongho’s phone ringing and him talking hurriedly to the person on the other end. I caught a few words like ‘hung over’ and ‘it was supposed to be my day off.’

            He hung up a groaned. “I have to go to work.”

            “But I thought it was your day off today? It’s Saturday for God’s sake,” SunLee complained. Reason A as to why I’m not in a relationship. There’s too much drama over one tiny reason.

            “I’m sorry babe, but I have to go if I want to keep my job. I’ll see you tonight,” he said. I heard as he gave her a kiss and then went to put his shoes on. “Good luck tonight, Jacklyne,” he said before leaving.

            “Thanks,” I muttered under my breath.

            “You didn’t happen to buy a bottle of wine while you were out, did you?” SunLee asked hopefully as she came to sit beside me.

            I shook my head.

            “So now are you going to tell me when the last time you had was?” She asked, laughing at my blushing. I knew she was going to move to this topic eventually.

            “Why is it so important that you know?” I muttered.

            “Because I want my best friend to be happy.”

            “I don’t need to be happy. I have the perfect job now, and that’s all I need,” I protested. Her obsession with was bad. She was always on about how amazing it was, and how it was the best form of exercise.

            “But you do. You’re so uptight nowadays. You need to loosen up a bit. What about Kim HeeYoung? Didn’t you like him like, a month ago?” She tried.

            “SunLee! I’m not going to have with someone I thought was a little good looking a month ago!” I yelled, crossing my arms over my chest.

            “Ugh, you’re so difficult sometimes. But you know I won’t stop asking you until you tell me the last time you had . Let’s see... there was that one time in grade twelve with the-”

            “Yah, stop! It was maybe a year ago, before I broke up with Jinho,” I said quietly, hoping she wouldn’t hear.

            “A year ago?!” She yelled, looking at me like I was on drugs or something.

            “Yes! A year ago! I’m not some crazy addict like some people in this house,” I said, condescendingly.

            “Omo, G-Dragon is coming on now!” SunLee screamed, turning the volume on the TV up higher.

            “Apparently he changed his song choice just minutes before the performance we’ll see in just a second,” the interviewer for the show started. In the background there were thousands of screaming fans in the outdoor theater. Apparently they had to make it outside because of all the people they were expecting. “And here he is now... G-Dragon!”

            SunLee clapped and jumped in her seat beside me as he emerged onto the stage. She was fangirling way too much right now. She was too excited to see someone who was a total douche.

            “Annyeong! For the first song I’ll be performing, I want to dedicate it to a special girl. And here is Missing You,” the music started immediately, and I felt like I was going to pass out. He couldn’t be dedicating this to me, could he? No. I just met him yesterday. And even though he changed his song last minute and is singing the song that was on my iPhone doesn’t mean that it’s for me.

            “Jacklyne? Are you ok? You look a little... pale,” SunLee said, looking at me worriedly.

            “Yeah, I’m fine,” I said, balling myself up on the couch and staring off into nowhere. I said trying to tell myself that this wasn’t for me, but I had that aching feeling that it was.

            “And now here’s my new single Crayon,” G-Dragon said once he finished the song, immediately starting Crayon with no hesitation. They had Korean pop stars trained as if they were going to war. I thought it was amazing that they could have so much talent with so many different things.

            When he was done performing, he smiled and waved at the audience, taking gulps of water as he did so. I watched as the interviewer ran onto the stage to ask him a few questions.

            “G-Dragon, I’m sure everyone wants to know who you sang Missing You for,” the interviewer immediately said, hoping to get some dirt from him. Good luck with that, he doesn’t even know my name.

            “If I told you, then it wouldn’t be a secret anymore,” he said, winking at the camera before it went to a commercial.

            Well played Jiyong, well played.