The Day We Met

Music Box

 

          “Still looks the same but feels different...”

 

          Hye Jin was talking to herself while she was riding a cab to her mom’s house. It was her first time to come back home after 5 years. After her parents separated, her dad took her to America to study. She was raised well by her dad alone, but even so, she kept contact with her mom and never forgot her roots as a Korean. Hye Jin’s beauty hides within her because of her simplicity. If you will just give her a simple touch of make up and fix her hair a little bit, her beauty would be seen. She’s a very cheerful girl and she hates losing to someone especially if she believes that she is right. She’s back in Korea to stay for good.

 

          While Hye Jin was looking at her window, she saw the store she was always going when she was just a kid. It was an antique store. She went in. It was still the same, though it has turned really old.

 

          “Annyeong Haseyo!” she bowed as she entered.

 

          The halmunni who was the owner was still there.

 

          “Oh, is that you Hye Jin-ah?”

          “You still remember me halmunni?”

          “Why would I forget you? You always go here when you were just a child and now look at you. I still remember when you said goodbye to me and told me to treasure that thing.” The grandmother in the shop told her while she looks at her gently.

          “Yeah. I remembered it clearly. Is it still there?”

          “Of course.”

 

          A wide smile was drawn on her face as she saw what she was looking for. It was an antique music box where a ballerina was dancing while a soft melody is playing. She still remembered the time when her parents would go there with her and just let her listen. It was very near to her heart but she can’t buy it because she feels that there’s a purpose why it is there.

 

          “Halmunni, you took good care of it well!”

          “Of course… you told me to do so, so I just did.”

          “Aaahh.” as she nodded and smiled slightly.

          “Why don’t you get it, I will give it to you for free as a welcoming gift.”

          “Thank you halmunni but I can’t. This music box has its purpose that’s why it is here.”

          “What is it then?” Halmunni asked while looking at her with questions in her eyes.

          “I don’t know. I just feel it.” She then looked at halmunni being clueless too.

          “If you say so…”

 

          After saying goodbye, Hye Jin left the store and walked to wait for a bus. She was crossing the street, it was yellow light so she needed to walk faster but suddenly her wallet fell and she had to come back at the center of the pedestrian lane. It was night time then and it was an unfamiliar street so only few people pass by there, so she just continued with getting her wallet though she was violating the traffic rule. When she looked at her right, a car was quickly approaching.

 

          “Kyaaaaa!” she yelled.

 

          Gladly she wasn’t hit by the car, it stopped at the right moment. Suddenly, a guy from the car went out. He was wearing sunglasses (though it’s night time), a cap and a hoodie that makes him look like a person in disguise.

 

          “Mianhae~ Mianhae Ahgassi. I didn’t mean to…” he was not still finished with her sentence when Hye Jin interrupted.

          “Yah! You should be careful next time! What if I died there, huh? Aish. This guy!”

 

          The guy was worried about her but because of those words he suddenly changed his mood.

 

          “Yah! It’s your fault after all because you’re breaking traffic rules!”

          “I...I…I…” Hye Jin was speechless because the guy was right. She was at fault after all. Her face turned red and blinked several times because of embarassment.

          “And you’re not even appreciating my sorry. Ah, this girl doesn’t know how to respect. Come on I’ll drive you!”

 

          Hye Jin suddenly ran after hearing those words thinking that he would bring her to the police and rides the bus. Everything was real quick that the guy didn’t even notice Hye Jin ride the bus.

 

          “Omma, I’m home!”

 

          She went straight to her room after she talked to her mom. Her mom’s husband died 2 years ago so it was only her mom and her half sister who was just 12 years old lived in that house so it’s comfortable for her to stay there.

 

          She unpacked her things and immediately, lay in bed.

 

          “It was an extraordinary day. I was near being brought to the police. Aish, that guy,I If I see him again. Ahhh!”

 

          She fell asleep after murmuring her disappointments for the things that happened to her a while back.