Chp. 16

She Met Mr. Cold-Hearted Under the Sun

You woke up by the sound of your phone beeping inside the cardigan you wore. You slept peacefully in the couch while Myung Soo slept in his. The sun is not yet totally risen, who would call in this time of the day? You picked up your phone and pressed the button to answer the call. Your mom's worried voice greeted you.

 

"Omo, honey. I'm glad you picked up. Your dad, he went unconcious after hearing another bad news from the company. We're in the hospital right now. Can you come?" your mom said in the very calm way she can.

Panic shot through your bones, "Sure, mom. Sure." you answered,not knowing what to do next.

"Be safe in your way back here, okay? I love you." your mom hung up after that.

You stood up, wondering if you should wake Myung Soo or not. "What to do?" you bit your fingernails in worriedness.

Since this is a room for watching movies, you're pretty sure it's sound-proof. You inhale deeply and started yelling at Myung Soo. "WAKE UP! WAKE UP!"

You saw Myung Soo's eyes twitched, "What?" he muttered.

"My..My father is in a hospital right now. Can you please drive for me? Please?" you earnestly begged.

His eyes opened but sleepiness still fights over him. "Where?"

 

Your mom didn't tell you where the hospital is, but since there's only one doctor who your parents trusted, you think the hospital near the company where the doctor works is where they are now. You and Myung Soo rushed out of the room. He went to another room you don't know and you just followed. He opened the door of this room and he picked up keys from the side table. It's his room, as you thought.

You ran to his car instantly with the sight of it. Myung Soo jammed the keys into where it supposed to be and held the steering wheel. He drove into the road, sun's still down and light from the posts still take over. Without you knowing, tears started to wet your whole face. Worriedness still controlling your mind and you can't do anything to help.

 

"Everything's going to be fine," Myung Soo whispered, "everything, Jae Myun."

You looked up to him and smiled as widely as you can, "Yes, I hope so."

 

You two became quiet again as the trip to the hospital goes. Myung Soo stopped the car infront of a huge white building. You went down and Myung Soo followed. You ran to the nearest help center and asked where is the room of Lee Jae Hyun, your dad. The nurse in service gave you the room number and you bowed slightly as your gratitude. Myung Soo kept pace besides you as you search for the room. As an answer, you saw your three brothers sitting queitly in a bench.

 

"Oppa!" you shouted and all of them looked at your way.

They all stood up from their seats. Jae Kyung called back, "Jae Myun."

You approached them and hugged them one by one, "How's dad?" you asked.

"He's inside with mom. The doctor said dad is just overworked." Jae Ho explained.

They all tried to give you an assuring smile, "I see you got a friend with you." Jae Min said as he motioned to Myung Soo.

Myung Soo bowed down and introduced, "Kim Myung Soo."

Your brothers smiled in return, "We're her brothers. I'm Jae Kyung. These are Jae Min and Jae Ho."

"I see." Myung Soo said.

You sat together with them, sitting between Myung Soo and Jae Kyung. "Oppa, can pret-, I mean, Myung Soo and I see dad?"

"After mom, you can." Jae Ho said and nodded.

You smiled at your brother and faced Myung Soo. "Hey, be nice to dad, okay? Don't be such a jerk."

"I am not a jerk," he said, "just shut it up and I'll be good."

You made a funny face and poke his right cheek, "Yes, pretty boy."

 

The conversation ends between you and Myung Soo. You patiently waited until your mom came out of the door, eyes looked heavy and reddish. You stood up from your seat and went to hug her. She whispered few things before letting you go from her arms and motioned Myung Soo to come with you. Myung Soo followed you inside and he closed the door.

 

"Appa." you called out, sitting on a stool Myung Soo putted beside the bed where your dad lies down.

Your dad gently presented a smile and said, "What? Hey, I'm not dying. Smile?"

You giggled a little and reached out his hand, "How are you?"

"That's impolite of you. We have a guest here." he pointed at Myung Soo and laughed.

"Good morning, Mr. Lee. I'm Kim Myung Soo." Myung Soo stood up as a respect and bowed a little.

"Take your seat, take your seat." your dad said and Myung Soo obeyed.

"How's my daughter? Is she nice to you?" your dad questioned.

Myung Soo smirked a little and answered, "She's nice. Very nice." Then he gave you a knowing stare.

"Really? She's really a good girl, you know. She's been a responsible daughter for eighteen years." your dad nodded at Myung Soo.

"I see," Myung Soo started, "I think I don't deserve a wife like her then." Myung Soo joked.

You know he's joking but your heart leaped a little, "Stop joking around."

"Wow. You two have been pretty close for just a one day length. Very suitable for each other." your dad noticed.

You just smiled awkwardly and Myung Soo did the same, "Can I get you something, appa?" you changed the topic.

"I'm fine, honey. I'm just a little sleepy. Would you mind if I take a nap?" he looked at you and then to Myung Soo.

"Ah, no, no. We'll let you rest first, we'll be just around, hm?" you said and squeezed his hand.

"Okay, honey. Eat breakfast already."

 

Then Myung Soo and you bid farewell before going out of the room. Your mom was outside, waiting. When she saw you, she smiled.

 

"Jae Myun, eat breakfast with Myung Soo now. I'll be inside, okay?" your mom told you.

You nodded, "Sure. How about you? When will you eat?"

"I'll eat when your brothers came back." your mom patted your head.

"Okay. We'll be back soon, too."

 

You led the way since Myung Soo knew nothing about this place. You made your way out of the hospital and wondered where should you and Myung Soo eat. Since you cannot decide, you asked him.

 

"What food do you want to eat?"

"Anything would be fine. I'm not choosy." Myung Soo shrugged and placed his hands inside his pockets.

"Fine with Japanese food?" you stared at him as if you're telling him to say yes.

"Err, sure." he murmured and raised his eyebrows.

 

When the two of you reached a food tent, Myung Soo felt his stomach churned. Oh no, his freaking childish nightmare is coming back. You saw him with his eyes closed and silently cursing. You shook his shoulders a little and made him open his eyes.

 

"What is it? Is there a problem?" you asked, eyes full of concern.

"Err, no-nothing." Myung Soo responded, sweating hard as ever.

"What? Yah, don't tell me it's nothing when you look like you're in a state of dying." you scolded him.

"Just...let's just eat in other food tents. Please, not japanese." Myung Soo requested as he swallowed.

"You should have told me earlier. You agreed and then now, what?" you stomped your feet and pretended to walk away.

"Okay, okay. Let's just eat now. As in, here." Myung Soo declared and you smiled at him.

 

You entered the tent easily while Myung Soo did it as if he's afraid he might see a ghost inside. In your annoyance, you dragged him together with you and took a table near the food counter. You called out for an attendant and ordered dishes. Myung Soo just waved his hands dismissively when you asked him what does he want. 

The orders came in a minute and Myung Soo looks like gagging. What the hell is his problem?

 

"Are you sure you're fine?" you told him.

"Yeah, just some sort of child bitter memory." he growled.

"Ow. What is it then?" you asked, started chewing on some sushi.

"This sounds stupid." he admitted as he started at you.

You continued to chew until you finally swallowed. "Go on."

"There's one event when I was about seven years old that serves as my nightmare until now." he paused. "To make it short, in that nightmare, the japanese dishes stood up from their plates and started attacking me. They said, "You love to eat my relatives, now it's our turn to eat you up.""

He looked at you, half expecting that you're laughing. "It ain't funny to you?"

You shook your head, "Not at all. Actually, I also had that kind of dream. And yes, it still scares me a lot until now but imagine, if I would think of that, I would starve and die."

"I see." Myung Soo said.

"So, eat up and forget that bad thing. Wait, you want me to feed you?" you chuckled.

"No thanks." he smiled and picked up his chopsticks. "This would be hard for me to eat you, Mr. Tempura." Myung Soo mumbled.

You stopped yourself from laughing at his cute permission to the shrimp, "Thank you, pretty boy." you suddenly said.

"What?"

"For unintentionally making me happy even in this time of my life. Just when I needed it the most." you whispered.


I seriously laughed out loud when I was writing Myung Soo's nightmare. XD
Anyway, long chapteeeer~ XD