Shots #13-15/Chanyeol

Of Band Geeks and Orch-Dorks (Choir is Overrated)

Queunliskanphobia (AKA Fear of Saliva)

Chen's first experience with the oboe was when his father brought him to see his first band concert. Chen fell in love with the sound of the oboe and begged his father to meet the musicians backstage. Backstage, he spotted a trumpet player empty his spit valve into a trash can and Chen was utterly disgusted. This was the start of his fear of saliva.

His fear doesn't stop him from playing the oboe though. Luckily the oboe doesn't accumulate as much saliva as the trumpet, unless he's playing his oboe for a long period of time when the spit travels through the oboe and drips out the end. Chen tries to avoid that by constantly swiping a rag through his oboe.

Except by high school his fear of saliva escalates.

Class has ended and Chen is diligently cleaning his oboe with a rag. He locks his oboe in its case and gets up to go talk to Jongin.

"Ugh, my stand partner just can't seem to stop talking to me!" Chen sets his forehead on Jongin's shoulder.

 "I told you, she has an obsessive fascination with you, I'm surprised she doesn't stalk you," Jongin pushes his friend off his shoulder.

"Sometimes I think she does-WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" Chen suddenly screams as he watches pour spit out from his trumpet onto the band room floor.

"Emptying my spit valve, what else? You do it too."

"NOT ON THE FLOOR!" 

"Chill out, you don't need to flip a ."

"YES I DO NEED TO FLIP A ! i HAVE LAIN ON THAT FLOOR. MY BODY HAS BEEN IN CONTACT WITH YOUR SPIT!"

"Well that means I have indirectly you all over you body."

Bless Chen's poor little heart, he was about to pass out right there. What stopped him of course was the spit on the floor.

This isn't the end of his phobia because Chen realizes it's not so much the spit problem as it is a Jongin problem.

Chen's walking on stage with his oboe in hand. He adjusts the chair he's about to sit in and he takes a step with his left foot. Slip. There's a loud smack and Chen's on his back, tightly clutching his oboe to his chest.

"Hey, you okay?" Jongin runs up to Chen to help him up.

"Yea," Chen looks down at the floor to see what he slipped on, and there's a big wet spot on the stage.

"Change of mind, Chen is definitely not okay because he's about to throw up the dinner he just ate.

He hopes it lands on Jongin.

Junmyeon" The Wannabe Concert Master

Concert Master. This is the seat to be in as a violinist. The concert master gets to lead the orchestra when the conductor's gone. The entire orchestra tunes to the concert master's violin. First chair holds the high standard for the violins. The concert master is the one the other violinists look up to. The concert master is the one who gets the solos.

This is the seat Junmyeon knows he will get.

Except...He doesn't.

This is not in Junmyeon's plan towards orchestra domination. He didn't plan to fail! So what's he going to do now?

Plan Number A: Coup D'état

"I need your help," Junmyeon approaches the library table Kyungsoo is occupying.

"So the great Kim Junmyeon finally needs Do Kyungsoo's help?"

"Let me rephrase that, you're going to be my minion," Junmyeon plops himself onto the chair in front of his new minion.

"Your minion," Kyungsoo stares at Junmyeon.

"Don't look at me like that," Junmyeon shivers when Kyungsoo opens his eyes wide, "If you don't want to be my minion you can be my slave."

"What's the difference?"

"Minion sounds better," Junmyeon shrugs his shoulders.

"Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?" Kyungsoo drags out the 'a' sound.

"I'm being serious right now!"

Kyungsoo sighs, "Fine, what is it?"

"I'm going to stage a coup d'état."

"Against who?" 

"My stand partner."

"Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?"

"I'm serious!" Junmyeon smacks Kyungsoo's arm.

"Ow! Okay, what do you want me to do?"

"Uh...I haven't gotten that far yet," Junmyeon shifts his eyes side to side.

"What do you mean you haven't gotten that far yet?"

"Are you okay? Did you use up all the kindness in your heart? Do you need me to throw you in a bath of stuffed animals?"

"Fine, if you're not going to listen to me, I'm going to ask someone else," Junmyeon slides his chair back and stands up.

"Good luck with that."

"Thanks, but you're fired."

"For what?"

"You failed at following my orders," Junmyeon pouts at his friend and stalks off.

Kyungsoo throws his hand sup and rolls his eyes. He'll need to go to Junmyeon's house after school to prepare the bath full of stuffed animals.

Plan Number B: Achilles Heel

Junmyeon walks out the library and heads towards the south end of the school, where the broadcasting channel is located. If Junmyeon can't get Kyungsoo to help him stage a coup d'état, Junmyeon will just have to take matters into his owns hands. He'll have to find his stand partner's Achilles Heel. The easiest way to do that is to befriend his enemy's friends. And guess what? He's already friends with one of them and this giant goes by the name of Kris.

"You're hired," Junmyeon says as he stands behind Kris.

"Jesus! You scared me! Don't do that!" Kris turns around with his hand son his chest.

"You're hired," Junmyeon repeats.

"Are you running for student body? I am not filming your advertisement," Kris shivers as he thinks about the horrid experience in the woods with a certain little deer.

"No. I fired Kyungsoo for being a bad minion; you're the next in line."

"Your minion for what?"

"I need you to tell me my stand partner's Achilles heel."

"Are you okay?"

"Why are you asking me that?" Of course I'm okay!" Junmyeon's voice increases a few octaves.

"Okay, okay, don't need to give yourself a heart attack," Kris sets his hand son Junmyeon's shoulders.

"So you'll do it?"

"Do what?"

"Find his Achilles heel!"

Kris stares into the shorter man's eyes, "You forgot your kindness at home today."

Junmyeon shakes his head and furrows his eyesbrows, "I did not forget my kindness!"

"Come on, we'll go find Kyungsoo so he can get you home without harming anyone," Kris turns his friend around and leads him out the door.

"Fine, if you don't want the job, I'll just do it myself! I'LL BE MY OWN MINION!" Junmyeon pauses Kris away and marches out the broadcasting room.

Plan Number C: Destruction

Out the broadcasting room Junmyeon goes towards the band room where his target lies. 

Does no one understand that Junmyeon would make a much better concert master than his stand partner? Can't any one understand that his stand partner is completely and utterly evil? He's going to bring down the whole entire orchestra! Yes, that's what Junmyeon tells himself. He's putting himself on the pedestal for the good of the orchestra.

So what exactly is Plan Number C? If Junmyeon can 'accidentally' arm his stand partner, he'll have to get down to the real problem, the violin. Junmyeon is going to destroy the violin.

Easier said than done. Junmyeon tells himself as he spots Minseok in the band room.

It's okay, Junmyeon will just go grab the violin, dart out the room, and head towards his car.

Junmyeon pulls his shoulders back and sticks his head up. He spots the black rectagular violin cast and grabs onto it.

"That's not your violin," Minseok notices Junmyeon.

Junmyeon panics inside, "Yes it is."

"No, I'm pretty sure it's not. You would not switch your designer violin case for a black generic case."

"The blue clashed with my outfit today," Junmyeon sticks out his bottom lip.

Minseok scrunches his nose up in confusion, "What?"

Suddenly, the door to the music room opens and Kyungsoo sticks his head in, "There you are."

Kyungsoo walks up to his two friends and pulls the violin from Junmyeon's hands, "Let's put this back where it belongs and get you home."

"What's going on?" Minseok glances between Junmyeon and Kyungsoo.

"Preventing Junmyeon's plan for violin demolition," Kyungsoo smiles softly at Minseok and guides Junmyeon towards the door.

"Hey! I'm doing this for the greater good!"

"Were you going to destroy your stand partner's violin?" Minseok screams.

"SHHHHHHH! It's a secret!" Junmyeon scrambles stop cover Minsoek's mouth.

Minseok's face falls, "I may not like the violin very much, BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN GO AND DESTROY AN INSTRUMENT!"

"But the greater-"

Minseok turns to Kyungsoo, "We need to bring him home and give him a stuff animal bath."

"I CALL LEGS!" Kyungsoo announces and grabs Junmyeon's legs.

Minseok nods and grabs Junmyeon under his arms to haul him home.

"WHAT! NO YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME! THIS WAS FOR THE GREATER GOOD! I'M JUST TRYING TO MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE!" Junmyeon flops in Minseok's and Kyungsoo's arms.

"If you don't hold still, I'm going to call Tao to whip you into oblivion," Minseok grunts as he and Kyungsoo shove Junmyeon through the door.

"Fine, but we get to buy cupcakes for Mr. Snuggly Wumps," Junmyeon relaxes.

"Yes, yes, we'll buy cupcakes for you and your giant teddy bear," Kyungsoo sighs and rolls his eyes at his pathetic friend. 

Perks of Being a Trumpet Player

Perk #1: Them Lips

The only reason Jongin started the trumpet was because his girlfriend in middle school told him he was a horrible kisser. Hey, don't blame Jongin, his first girlfriend had experience and he didn't. But in the end his girlfriend broke up with him. Of course Jongin was determined to get her back. Jongin somehow had to become a better kisser. He couldn't practice with anyone else. Granted, he could always practice with Sehun who had offered, but he preferred not to. Jongin heard that trumpet players were good kissers. So why not? He took up the trumpet and worked those beautiful lips he had.

Sadly, his girlfriend never came back to him, maybe he should've said yes to Sehun. He heard girls were into boyxboy. Jongin stuck with the trumpet anyways because what's the harm in the possibility of becoming the best kisser in the world? This way he could get any girl he wanted. He'll laugh in his ex-girlfriend's face when Jongin's got his arms around multiple girls.

Except...it's not like that in high school. It ends up being his ex-girlfriend with her arms around multiple guys. Jongin doesn't mind though, he's got his trumpet and his muffins. Oh and his friends too. Can't forget those things.

Perk #2: "Nega Che Chalaga"

Jongin is very egotistical. Can you tell? His favorite song is "Nega Che Chalaga" by 2NE1. Jongin knows he's the best trumpet player in the school. Not only is he the best trumpet player, he believes that the trumpet is the instrument that really shines. Forget the violin or the flute. The trumpet is where it's at. 

Trumpet has a good amount of solos in band and he's front in center for marching band. Plus, this may not have anything to do with school, but Jongin's pretty sure it's the trumpet that announces the arrival of a King. 

Perk #3: Abs Abs Abs

It takes skill to be able to blow air for hours on end. Not only that, it takes skill to blow air through the diaphragm. And what happens when Jongin's the best at blowing air through his diaphragm? Abs. Yea that's right. Jongin's got abs from being an expert at blowing air from his diaphragm. 

Jongin's standing in front of his bathroom mirror early in the morning with his shirt lifted up. He's proud of the line that traces down the middle of his stomach. Jongin flexes and little squares pop up on his stomach. Jongin is definitely proud. Maybe a little too proud.Maybe if Jongin starts going to the gym his stomach would be more defined and he wouldn't have to keep flexing when he's walking around with his shirt off.

Character Background: Chanyeol

Chanyeol is a junior and is part of band, symphonic orchestra, choir, and drum line. He plays percussion in band and symphonic orchestra. He loves drumming. It's completely apart of him. He first fell in love with percussion when the drum line visited his middle school, which he also joined in high school. He loved the way the drums made his heart feel like it jumped out of his chest. He is a baritone in choir because the choir teacher heard Chanyeol talking to his friends in the band room and demanded that Chanyeol be a part of the choir because the choir teacher has never had a voice as low as Chanyeol's. Chanyeol has a 3.65 GPA. He doesn't consider himself as smart or intelligent as Junmyeon because he just feels like memorizing doesn't mean intelligence. Plus he's satisfied that he gets to be on honor roll. Hey, he's not complaining when his parents give him $200 every time the school mails him a card saying he's above average. Ourside of music, Chanyeol is part of the Best Buddies club because he feels his smile is able to make the special education kids happier. 

 

A/N: EARLY UPDATE YO! *dances* School ended last Wednesday and my last final was yesterday! Woot woot! I hope I did good D: I won't be in school for two weeks, so we'll see how the updates are coming. Anyways onto the fic! I hate spit. It is disgusting. I think this is the only think that's stopping me from playing the trumpet. I have seen band players just empty it onto the band floor. I have lain on that floor. I just...ew. I did slip on spit on stage once. IN HEELS MIND YOU! So please empty your spit into a trash can. Not on the floor.  

Junmyeon's designer violin case. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LANG-NEW-Violin-Case-4-4-CK-P77-/150425386256

The case is more expensive than my violin. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻) But it's a very pretty case (◕‿◕✿)

Make sure you check the previous post "Song List #1" I deleted my hiatus post and posted that! Comment below on what you think of Shots #13-15 and what the Exo members should sing/play in the fic and in real life!