Shots #4-6/Minseok

Of Band Geeks and Orch-Dorks (Choir is Overrated)

4) Jongin: The Muffin Man

Jongin slowly rolls out of bed and hits the floor, ten minutes after his alarm rings. He really doesn't want to play the trumpet at six in the morning. Hell, after playing the trumpet for so many years, he knows he's a good kisser. That was the whole point of the trumpet anyway.

He cracks one eye open and stares at the glow in the dark stars that have been on his ceiling since he was ten. He then realizes today is the day the vending machine is refilled with Otis Spunkmeyer Muffins and immediately shoots up off the floor, making his way towards the bathroom.

Once he parks his car and grabs his trumpet, he dashes towards the vending machine for his favorite muffin. A $1.25 for a large chocolate muffin? Who could go wrong with that? But alas, as Jongin reaches in his pocket, he only finds a $1 bill.

"No," he whispers. "No! No! No!" he sets his trumpet onto the floor and opens his backpack to search for 25 cents. Papers go flying everywhere, textbooks are strewn across the floor and pencils are rolling underneath the vending machine.

Oh.

Pencils are rolling underneath the vending machines.

Jongin immediately drops onto his stomach and looks underneath the vending machine. He smiles as he spots a shiny flat object. His arms and fingers graze French fries and chicken nuggets that have been there knows how long (probably since the school first opened up), and he reaches for the coin.

"What are you doing?" Jongin looks up and sees Sehun eyeing him.

"I need 25 cents," Jongin replies lamely.

"Uh huh," Sehun nods and walks over Jongin to slip five quarters into the vending machine for a blueberry muffin.

"Ugh. Those are so gross," Jongin comments as he continues to reach for the coin.

"Says the guy who's lying on the cafeteria floor."

"Hey this is detrimental, I need that coin."

Sehun rolls his eyes, "And it's detrimental that I eat breakfast."

"Touché," Jongin sticks his tongue out as his finger grazes the coin.

"What are you guys doing?" a deep voice intervenes into their conversation.

"I was here just to get breakfast, I have no relationship with this creature that is mopping the cafeteria floor with his body," Sehun replies and walks away to the band room.

"I see," the new arrival replies.

"Oh, you're Chanyeol, the guy on drums," Jongin notices.

"Uh yeah, what exactly are you doing down there?" Chanyeol's left eyebrow migrates towards his hairline.

"I only have a dollar. I need 25 more cents to get a chocolate muffin."

"Dude, you do not need to stick your hand underneath the vending machine to get a quarter. Been there, done that, not fun, here," Chanyeol reaches into his jean pocket and pulls out a quarter, covered in lint.

"Ooooh thanks," Jongin slides his arm out from under the vending machine.

"Ugh gross," Chanyeol scrunches his face as he looks at Jongin's arm.

"What are you guys doing?"

Chanyeol screams and drops the quarter, "Kyungsoo! Don't do that!"

"My quarter," Jongin whispers as he watches the quarter slip under the vending machine.

 

5) Why Kris Should Never Ever Listen to Yixing

Case 1: Early Morning Symphony

Joining early morning symphony because Yixing said it was an easy A was a bunch of bull . The A was definately not worth it when first, he has to wake up at four in the morning just to get to school by six. Second, he has to deal with Chanyeol, he percussion partner who talks and talks all morning long. Kris swears that Chanyeol has said more words that morning than Kris will ever speak in his whole life. Third, Yixing hardly shows up for early morning symphony anyways. Kris partly joined the class so he could be with Yixing, but the idiot always tends to sleep in. The only good thing about the class is occasionally, Kris sees a chunk of chocolate muffin fly out of Jongin's trumpet and land on the bassoon player who is conveniently sitting in front of the trumpet player.

Case 2: Driving Extravaganza

"What is a State Band Festival in the middle of nowhere? I don't understand," Kris grumbles as he clutches his steering wheel.

"So we don't get distracted by the city," Yixing replies sleepily.

"Everyone lives in the city though!"

"Not everyone Kris," Yixing mumbles.

"It's your fault you know that right? If you woke up on time, we would be able to catch the bus."

Yixing doesn't reply. Instead Kris hears a soft snore.

"You're mocking me aren't you? I know you're awake Yixing. You don't snore," Kris side glances at his friend who replies with another soft snore.

Kris huffs and darts his eyes around the empty highway. He smiles to himself and swerves the car.

Yixing gives a high pitches scream.

"You have a job to do," Kris hands Yixing the directions.

Yixing rips the papers out of Kris' hands, "Fine."

Thirty minutes later, Kris asks, "Are you sure this is the right way?"

"You're the driver," Yixing replies.

"Yixing! Be serious right now! My gas tank is half empty!"

"Half full, you have to be positive about these things."

Kris screams in frustration and wonders why he's friends with Yixing in the first place.

Case 3: Expiration Dates

Kris will occasionally go to Yixing's house to talk. Kris likes that he's able to have a friend who he can talk about random subjects to. Most of the times, the two of them cook because Yixing has a sweet tooth and needs someone to share the sweets with before he eats the whole pan of brownies. This time that Kris is over, Yixing wants cinnamon rolls. They're not making them from scratch, thank the lord, Kris thinks. If that were to happen, who knows how that would end?

Yixing pulls out the blue can from his refrigerator and looks at it.

"What are you looking for?" Kris asks.

"The expiration date," Yixing replies as he turns the Pillsbury can around in his hands.

"How long have you had those?" Kris questions.

"I don't know. Oh, hey they expired three months ago," Yixing looks at Kris.

"Yixing, I drove all the way to your hosue for cinnamon rolls, now you tell me they're expired?" Kris grabs the can from Yixing's hands.

"I though you came over so we could talk?"

"That too."

"And anyways, they're still okay to eat," Yixing grabs the can back and looks at the expiration date again.

"Yixing, they expired three months ago. THREE MONTHS!" Kris emphasizes.

"It's okay!" Yixing smiles, "Expiration dates are only for government regulation. Things like these are always okay past the date."

"Alright, if you say so, but if I do die, it's all your fault."

"Got it."

Yixing turns the can around in his hands.

"Aren't you going to open it?" Kris raises an eyebrow.

"You open it," Yixing shoves the can at Kris.

"No way! These things are like a bomb!" Kris throws it back to Yixing.

"Exactly!" 

"Well, what do we do now? I want my cinnamon rolls."

Yixing sighs, "Mom!"

 

6) Four Reasons Why Sehun Shouldn't Play the Viola

Because four in Chinese sounds like die and that's what Sehun thinks his viola is planning.

Reason 1: Sehun can't use the tuning pegs to save his life.

It was during the Spring Concert Dress rehearsal that Sehun's D string decides to unwind itself from its tuning peg. He spends nearly ten minutes slowly turning the peg while the rest of the orchestra continues to play. He starts to have a cold sweat because , if he breaks this string, it's going to cost him at least $20 to buy a new string and he doesn't have $20. To make it even better, the concert is tonight and he has no way of dashing to the music store that is ten miles away form the school and back by the time his group performs.

Reason 2: Sehun is nearly tone deaf.

Emphasis on the nearly. Just like how Junmyeon has near perfect pitch, but Sehun's the opposite...Sehun can fine tune his viola to match other sounds, with lots of difficulty of course. His ears just tend to pick up flats more often than natural notes, no biggie right? Yes, that's what he tells himself.

Reason 3: Sehun has accidentally had a bow fight with his stand partner.

Sehun does enjoy playing the viola, yes his parents forced him into it for scholarships, but that doesn't mean he doesn't enjoy playing it. It's just that sometimes he has his moments where he feels like he's going to die because of it. Like when he was getting really into playing a piece of music that his bowing arm just moved closer and closer to his stand partner until the tip of Sehun's bow collided with his partner's bow.

At least it wasn't his eye, Sehun thinks.

Reason 4: What good is a violist when he can only use his fine tuners?

Tuning is Sehun's biggest problem. There's only so long Sehun can use his fine tuners until he can't turn them anymore. It also happens to be the night of the end of the year concert. Sehun panics and realizes he has to use the dreadful tuning pegs again.

"Two times in the school year, Lord Jesus take the wheel," he whispers to himself, "Why do we have to tune instrumets, can't someone invent a string instrument you don't have to tune."

His fingers wrap around the tuning peg. He goes into the familiar cold sweat because he can fell all his friends around him staring, waiting for him to break the string. Sehun turns the peg a millimeter. And pop goes the string, which nearly hits his eye. Sehun stares in awe at his viola, thinking, why does my viola hate me so much? What have I done to make you hate me? Luckily though, this time he does have an extra string, sadly he has no idea how to put it onto his viola.

"Junmyeon," Sehun whines.

"Fine, just this once, you're going to have to learn eventually Sehun," fortunately there are people like Junmyeon in Sehun's life.

 

Character Background: Minseok

Minseok is a senior. He is in orchestra and early morning symphonic orchestra. His position is 3rd chair cellist. Minseok first fell in love with the shape and sound of the cello when his dad brought him to see a live orchestra. He loved the way the cellist's hands moved up and down the neck of the instrument. Minseok told this to his best friend, Luhan once and replies with, "Oh, so you're into Cello ." Minseok shrugs and didn't deny it. He has a GPA of a 3.7. Outside of music he plays for the soccer team with Luhan, is part of the National Honor Society with Junmyeon, and is part of the Ping Pong Club with Baekhyun.

 

A/N: Second update! Yay! I actually really like these three scenarios! Well...that's because most of them happened to me in real life...except for the vending machine thing. I have been close to ducking down for a quarter but decided against it!!! Yes, I have gone through what Sehun has gone through. Shisus have mercy on me because I really do think my violin hates me. And If you're wondering Kris and Yixing are completely a-okay after eating those cinnamon rolls that were three month expired. I know I was okay...*shrugs* Yes Ping Pong Club. That did exist in my high school. 

Comment, subscribe, and spread the word if you liked it! The next update will be next Thursday night/Friday morning.

Tumblr: howtotrainaduizhang.tumblr.com

LiveJournal: shelleybelly15.livejournal.com