Nine.

Deceptions

 

“What are you doing here?” Ji Yoon asked the moment both of them were left in the room alone. Lieutenant Kim had excused himself saying he had an urgent meeting to attend while Eun Jung made herself scarce by mumbling that there were still a lot of paperwork needed to be done.

But Ji Yoon knew better.

In fact, everybody else in the office knew it too.

That’s why they had been talking behind her back.

“What do you mean Yoon?” Jun Su asked her calmly, pacing around her intriguingly. “You heard my Dad. I came back here to help you guys out with your current case.”

“Cut that crap Jun Su,” Ji Yoon snapped, turning around so that she could face him fully. “You listen here. I’m going to act as though nothing has happened between us before. You, never existed. Okay?”

Jun Su held up his hands defensively.

“Hey, you said it. I didn’t,” he gave her a cocky grin before sauntering over towards the door. At the last very last second, his hand paused at the doorknob and he turned back around to look at her.

“You know Ji Yoon...you really should stop hanging out with criminals,” he told her, giving her a knowing smile. “It’s bad enough about your brother. Now you’re dating one too?”

Before Ji Yoon could even hurl the nearest chair at him, Jun Su opened the door coolly and walked out the room as though he hadn’t said anything wrong.

As though things were ever going to be okay between them.

 

“You’re not going back to your old ways are you?” Ji Hyun eyed the distressed looking guy in front of her.

Seung Ho’s black straight hair was sticking out of place, the dark circles underneath his eyes were getting visible and the shirt that he had on looks like it hadn’t been changed for at least two days.

Not to mention, his small space was a complete wreck. Papers were thrown all over the place, dirty cups and plates were left unattended and the air felt completely stuffy due to the locked door and windows.

Ji Hyun hadn’t wanted to come by. She didn’t want to bother about him ever since their biggest argument a couple of weeks back. She didn’t want to rekindle back their already estranged relationship but she couldn’t help but to admit; a small part of her still cares.

She knows the mess that he was in; the problems that were adding on to his distraught mind. She’s gotten part of the story from Ji Yoon, who was just as concerned about the rest of the guys.

But she wanted to hear it from him. She wanted confirmation from his own mouth.

She had to make sure he wouldn’t resort to his old, bad ways.

“What are you doing here Ji Hyun?” Seung Ho asked warily, reaching out for a half-empty alcohol bottle in front of him. But Ji Hyun swatted his hand away before his fingertips could even touch it.

“So you’re going to just waste your life away like this?” she cried out in disbelief, crossing her arms in front of her chest. “You’re not the Seung Ho I know.”

“Don’t interfere in my affairs Ji Hyun!” Seung Ho slurred his words as he gazed at her through hazy eyes. “Didn’t you...” he let out a small hiccup. “Didn’t you left me two weeks ago?”

Seung Ho would’ve dropped to the floor with a loud thud if Ji Hyun hadn’t manage to grab hold of his arm and steadied him. She placed one arm around his waist and slung him right arm across his shoulder. Despite the additional weight she had to endure, Ji Hyun made it towards the sofa in the living room and settled the drunken Seung Ho next to her.

Slowly, she let his head fell to the head rest and propped up his two legs onto the other end. Before she could stand up to get him a wet towel, she felt him tugging at her hand.

“What if...what if I’m going to end up like Thunder?” he asked her, mumbling his words in a low voice with his eyes still half-closed. “What if they are going to hunt us down one by one?”

Ji Hyun knelt down beside him quietly, enclosing his hand with her own. She took a deep resigned breath before forcing out a smile, although she wasn’t sure if he could see her clearly.

“It’s going to be fine Seung Ho,” she mustered up the most soothing voice that she could manage, and patted his hand lightly as though she was comforting a young child. Unwittingly, her own tears had started b in her eyes as the possibility of what Seung Ho had just said started to play in her mind.

“It’s going to be fine...”

 

“She...she knows hyung. Ji Yoon knows about everything now.”

Lee Joon stared at the younger guy who was standing in the middle of his living room, his eyes widening in disbelief after hearing the ‘shocking’ confession. His mouth hung open slightly before he closed it once again.

“What do you mean she knows about everything?” Lee Joon asked quietly, his voice almost threatening now. But surprisingly, it didn’t rattle Mir one bit. In fact, the worn-out looking maknae seemed to be everything but afraid. He looks almost pissed off.

“I’m tired hyung!” Mir argued, daring to take a step closer towards the infuriated Lee Joon. “And we were chased yesterday. I had no other choice but to...”

“Wait, hold on a second,” Lee Joon held up his hands in protest. “You...were being chased? And Ji Yoon was in that car too?”

Mir nodded.

“Yes. And like I said, I had to retaliate back. Or we would’ve both been killed,” Mir responded, emphasizing on the word ‘kill.’

. Do you recognise the car Mir? Have we seen it before anywhere?” Lee Joon asked in an urgent voice, pacing towards his bedroom at the same time. Mir followed behind him closely.

“I’m not sure hyung,” he said regretfully, shrugging his shoulders. “It might have been familiar. But in the moment of panic, with Ji Yoon breathing down my neck...”

Lee Joon had to stifle a laugh as he slipped on his favourite black leather jacket. He could imagine Ji Yoon’s horrified face clearly in his mind when she saw that her boyfriend owned a gun. A splendid shooter, he must add on. Mir, was after all their best long-range shooter. Even if the car had been quite a distance away from them, he knew the maknae would have no problem taking them down.

“My sister can be quite scary when she’s mad, isn’t she?” Lee Joon agreed while casually ruffling up his hair as he checks his reflection in the big mirror in front of him. “I’m glad you guys are okay. But I doubt Ji Yoon’s taking this news well, is she?”

Mir just shook his head sadly, plopping himself down on the edge of Joon’s queen-sized bed.

“She’s still not talking to me hyung. She wanted to know what else I am capable of. I couldn’t possibly tell her...everything....”

Mir-yah,” Lee Joon called out to him affectionately, and gave him a reassuring smile through the mirror. “Don’t worry. Yoon’s always been like that. She hates being kept out of the loop. But you know she loves you to death. Give her some time to cool down.”

 “But...there’s another thing hyung...” Lee Joon could see Mir scratching his head confusingly from behind him.

“What is it?” the older guy finally turned away from the mirror to focus entirely on what his dongsaeng had to say.

“Gi Kwang...that guy from Beast gang...I think he’s interested in Ji Yoon,” Mir said unhappily, looking down at his two feet. “And Ji Yoon’s been acting uncomfortable every time we’re in the same room as him.”

“Eh?” Lee Joon thought about the possibility for awhile but quickly shook off the negative feeling. “Don’t think too much about it. Arrasso? That Gi Kwang...he’s a jerk.”

Mir just scoffed in agreement, thinking about his rival smug face.

“A very annoying, jerk.”

 

“Yo Seob-ah, can you hear me?”

The second he opened his eyes, the first face he saw looming over him was Doo Joon’s concerned face. Followed by Dong Woon standing opposite of him with Gi Kwang, Hyun Seung and Jun Hyung standing on both of their either sides.

Immediately, Yo Seob scrunched up his face in horror as he stared back at the five pairs of anxious eyes who were looking down at him with either a relieved or tight expressions. He glanced around his surrounding wildly, trying to make sense what had happened to him hours before.

Days before he was brought here.

Terrifying flashes of memories continue to haunt him as the sharp gleaming blade with drips of his blood seemed to be visually real in front of him.

Andwae!” he shouted hysterically, covering both of his ears with his hands and shutting his eyes closed tightly. “Hajima! Get away from me!”

“Yo Seob-ah,” Doo Joon tried to pry his hands away but was only pushed away by the distraught boy. Dong Woon who also tried to calm his hyung down was attacked by kick of protests to his sides.

Jun Hyung, Hyun Seung and Gi Kwang reacted fast to the situation. While the other two pin down Yo Seob’s hands to the bed, Gi Kwang held on to his two legs firmly; putting all of his strength into it.

“Call Ji Yeon!” Jun Hyung yelled towards Dong Woon who was standing by the door helplessly. Yo Seob’s sudden assaults were scaring him and he was left even more confused than before.

“Call Ji Yeon, Dong Woon!” Jun Hyung repeated his words grimly. “Tell her we need her to come over now!”