Fifteen.

Deceptions

 

“I got here as soon as I can,” So Hyun said breathlessly when G.O opened the door to Joon’s house later that evening. “But when you told me Joon oppa had been shot, I called a friend to help me out.”

“A friend?” G.O asked in surprise and threw a glance towards the girl who was standing behind So Hyun. Noticing G.O’s awkward stare, she bowed down her head slightly in a form of respect and gave him a small smile.

“I had too. I’m in no profession in this field,” So Hyun explained as both of them squeezed past the stunned G.O and stepped inside the cosy apartment.

A friend...the lesser people knew, the better.

“Ji Yeon’s more specialised in this kind of medical aid,” So Hyun continued to elaborate while G.O closed the door behind them. “I don’t want to take the risk of doing something I’m unsure of. But don’t worry oppa, you can trust her.”

“Look So Hyunnie,” G.O held up both of his hands to stop her. “This...is a very serious matter. And Joon, he’s no mood to entertain any outsiders except for those he’s familiar with. And his injury...it’s getting really bad Hyun.”

“Then it’s better for me to get to work now,” Ji Yeon spoke up softly from behind So Hyun. Both of them turned to look at her. And while So Hyun’s face was genuinely worried, G.O has a more stern expression.

“Didn’t you here me Ji Yeon-sshi? Lee Joon...he’s not as nice as me. At least I’m still being civilised with you right now.”

Oppa!” So Hyun tugged at his hand. “Can we please talk about this later? And I’m serious, I can’t be much help. We need Ji Yeon. You can trust her.”

Ji Yeon cleared uncomfortably. She hadn’t planned on bringing up the matter. But it seemed like it’s the only thing that could help convince G.O.

“I heard...you’ve become acquainted with the BEAST guys recently?”

G.O’s eyebrows burrowed in confusion at her sudden question.

“How did you-?”

“I’m...close friends with them,” Ji Yeon said with the friendliest smile she could come up with. “And I’m aware...of the things they have done...with the things that has happened to them. I don’t think there’s anything that you have to keep from me.”

When she still didn’t get any response from the guy, Ji Yeon decided to throw in the punch line.

“I’m already exposed enough to the things guys like you do for a living. And...I’m honestly going to say, it’s not really my problem.”

Before G.O could have the chance to question her further, urgent footsteps could be heard coming from behind them.

“What’s the delay Byung Hee?” Seung Ho asked, choosing to use the former’s real name instead when they are not really working on any case. “Joon’s bleeding like hell in there.”

G.O took a long deep sigh before he gestured for Ji Yeon to follow him inside.

“Just don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

 

Surprisingly, Joon didn’t put up any fights of protests when Ji Yeon cleaned up his wound and bandaged his sore spot for him. He didn’t even utter a single question about her; simply not caring about who she was or it could be that his life was really at wits end.

Even when she was pulling out the bullet with a pair of tweezers, Joon didn’t offer any kind of reaction. His face was expressionless; making it even harder for the rest of them to actually know what he was thinking about.

All of them crowd in the small room together, each hoping and praying for Joon to pull through the near-death experience.

Ji Yoon bit on her fingernails nervously, pacing back and forth every few minutes and also checking in on So Hyun who was attending to Hyuna’s injuries in the next room once in awhile.

“He’ll be okay,” Ji Yeon said about an hour later. “He just needs a lot of rest.”

Ji Yoon cast down a look at her brother who was about to drift off to sleep due to the medication given to him. But she could also see he was fighting hard to stay awake. That was how stubborn he actually was as a person.

“How’s Hyuna?” he croaked, straining his head as if trying to get a glimpse of his girlfriend from the next room. “Is she okay?”

Ji Yeon packed up her things silently as she eavesdropped on their conversation. Realisation suddenly hits her.

“Hyuna? Gi Kwang’s sister you mean?”

Neh,” Ji Yoon answered and instantly she smacked her forehead. “I totally forgot! We should tell him about what has happened to Hyuna.”

“No...” Joon started to protest as Ji Yoon’s cell phone’s ringtone suddenly blared out.

She excused herself for a short while and stepped out of the room for some privacy.

“What is it Eun Jung? I’m kind of busy right now.”

“Where are you?” her partner’s concerned voice shot back at the other end. “Everybody’s looking for you! Jun Su and I have been trying to reach you all day.”

Ji Yoon hesitated for awhile. She contemplated on whether she should tell Eun Jung the truth. When it was only the two of them, she didn’t have much problem sharing with her about some things.

But with Jun Su there, information could reach him unintentionally.

“I...something came up,” Ji Yoon replied uneasily, rubbing the back of her neck tiredly. “I had to take an emergency leave. Is anything wrong Eun Jung?”

Immediately, Eun Jung’s voice dropped to a stage whisper.

“I don’t know Ji Yoon. Jun Su...he’s like being suspicious of you. I told him, you could be having personal problems that you had to take care of. He didn’t buy it.”

“Figures,” Ji Yoon muttered as she rolled her eyes. “What about the rest of the team?”

“Henry and Dong Hae didn’t say anything. They are used to you taking emergency leaves. But Tae Min...Since he’s new...I don’t know. I think Jun Su’s trying to set him against you.”

“What does he want?” Ji Yoon said to herself, not actually intending on letting Eun Jung hear but she did anyway.

“What’s going on Ji Yoon?” Eun Jung asked, her voice filled with genuine concern. “Can’t you tell me?”

“Not now Eun Jung. Next time,” Ji Yoon promised. Just then, she heard the door opened behind her with a soft creak and she turned around to come face to face with the girl who had just saved her brother’s life.

Ji Yeon bowed down slightly at her before making herself scarce.

“Can’t you come now?”

“I’m not sure. I’ll call you back later okay?” Ji Yoon didn’t wait for Eun Jung’s answer and just ended the call abruptly. She started to hurry after Ji Yeon who was halfway out the front door.

“Hey, wait up!”

Ji Yeon stopped in her tracks and turned around slowly when she heard Ji Yoon calling her.

“Hey. Uh, I just wanted to say thanks,” Ji Yoon smiled gratefully at her and held out her hand. “If it hadn’t been for you, I don’t know what would’ve happened to my brother.”

Ji Yeon took her hand and gave it a brief shake.

“No problem at all. I love helping people out when I can,” Ji Yeon said, returning her smile. “Just make sure he has enough rest okay? And he shouldn’t move around that arm too much.”

“I’ll try to make him stay in bed. It won’t be easy though,” Ji Yoon cringed which made Ji Yeon chuckled. “Hey, can I ask you something?”

“Sure. What is it?”

“You said...you are close friends with the BEAST guys?” Ji Yoon asked uncertainly.

Neh. Do you know them too?”

“Just...heard of them. Are they...okay? I meant, I heard one of them got into some sort of trouble too,” Ji Yoon asked in a nonchalant tone but she was actually dying to know the truth. She hadn’t got the chance to really sit down and have a talk with Eun Jung so she was actually lagging behind on information.

But then...why was she being concerned about their affairs?

Gi Kwang’s arrogant face came to her mind suddenly but Ji Yoon quickly pushed the thought away.

How could she even think about it? About him?

Ji Yeon smiled amusingly at her random question.

“I’m guessing you’re talking about Yo Seob?” At Ji Yoon’s nod, she continued in a resigned voice. “I’m not so sure. I mean, he’s still alive and eating his meals well. But...he’s not talking. He’s just keeping to himself. And it’s worrying us all.”

“That’s not a good sign,” Ji Yoon frowned, feeling sorry for the baby-face of the group. Yo Seob was by far, the only member she could tolerate so far. He’s just...impossible to dislike.

And to hear about the rough traumatic experience he’s going through, Ji Yoon’s heart just went out to him.

“What about the rest of the guys? How are they coping?”

Ji Yeon let out a huge sigh.

“Doo Joon’s pretty much stressing about everything these days. He’s the closest to Yo Seob, the most protective of him. I think...he’ll really kill the person who did this to Yo Seob. He’s that furious.”

“Hyun Seungie and Jun Hyung...they are trying to dig up informations on every possible gang there is out there. They’ve already ruled out MBLAQ though,” Ji Yeon added quickly, not wanting Ji Yoon to get the wrong idea.

“Don’t worry,” Ji Yoon waved her hand in dismissal. “No offense taken.”

Ji Yeon chuckled softly before continuing. And it made Ji Yoon notice the serenity on  her face when she laughed. It was comforting. She couldn’t help but to smile along.

If only her brother wasn’t dating Hyuna...

“Gi Kwangie...” Ji Yoon ears perked up at the familiar name. “He’s just being him, you know? Always carefree, still the mood-maker of the group. Don’t get me wrong. I know he’s actually worried about everything’s that happening too. But, I guess that’s just the way he deals with things. He refuses to succumb to the depression.”

Oh...so that’s why he always acts as though nothing affects him. He isn’t such a heartless guy after all...

“And Dong Woonie, always the worried and innocent maknae of the group. He’s trying the hardest to cheer Yo Seob up, coming by to visit him everyday and stay behind until late at night. Personally, I think he still blames himself for what happened to Seobbie. Although we’ve told him countless times, there really was nothing that he could do,” Ji Yeon finished her report on the BEAST guys with a tired smile.

Instinctively, Ji Yoon reached out her hand and gave Ji Yeon a light pat on the shoulder.

“Tell them...it’s going to be okay. I’ll find the person who’s responsible for all of these.”

“I’ll make it my upmost priority.”