EPILOGUE

Deceptions

 

Ji Yoon thought she was going to lose him that night when Junsu pulled the trigger for the last time. She felt a rush of adrenaline as she yanked herself away from Byung Hee’s grasp and rushed forward to pull Chul Yong out of the way.

But she didn’t have to do so. God knows where had gathered his strength from but he managed to roll over to his right side just as Junsu’s bullet was released and it hit the ground instead of making contact with Chul Yong’s head.

Ji Yoon dropped herself to the ground expectantly as she reached out for her boyfriend. Next to her, Junsu fell to the ground with a loud thud, the blood already trickling out of his head and staining the ground. She could hear Chang Sun’s low heavy breathings as he too collapsed to the floor on his two knees out of exhaustion.

Ji Yoon placed her forearm below Chul Yong’s neck and she hugged his body close to her, the tears streaming down her face incessantly.

Please don’t leave me...you can’t leave me okay? Fight this please...

Chul Yong could feel his eyelids getting heavier as he struggled to keep them open. Forcing a smile out for Ji Yoon, he brought up his hand to caress her cheek tenderly.

I feel so tired Ji Yoonie...but you’re safe now. You’re okay now...”

“Let go of him Ji Yoon. We have to get him to the hospital now,” she heard Byung Hee’s deep voice approaching her from behind.

With a heavy heart, she pushed Chul Yong onto Byung Hee’s care as she stood back up, still in dazed. She saw Junsu’s lifeless body lying down in front of her, the gun by his side.

She clenched her two fists together. She felt so betrayed, so enraged. How could Junsu do this to her?

She had always known he was the possessive, over-bearing type but she would’ve never thought he would resort to killing.

She eyed the gun temptingly. She knew he was already dead but...she wanted to so bad.

In her contemplation, she felt a hand resting on her arm cautiously. She lifted up her head and saw her brother staring down at her, with a disapproval look in his eyes.

“Let it go. He’s already gone.”

He then pulled her in for a warm hug. It was only then did she let it all out. She cried all the tears she had been keeping inside for so long. She poured out all her emotions which had been bottled up all these while.

Gwenchana...” Chang Sun whispered into his sister’s ear soothingly. “You’re safe now. It’s all going to be okay.”

 

Ji Yoon sat by his bed, waiting for him to open up his eyes and look at her again. It has been over 48 hours but Chul Yong still hasn’t showed any signs of waking up anytime soon.

Ji Yoon let out a soft sigh. She knew she has to be mentally prepared for this. The doctor has already warned her about this.

Due to his excessive loss of blood and late in getting treatment, they have to be ready to accept any kind of possibilities.

It could take days, weeks or even months...

She reached over for his left hand and brought it up closer to her lips before kissing it softly.

 “I’m so sorry for putting you through this,” she murmured to herself. She was full of regrets. Unintentionally, she had gotten everyone around her involved. And now, Chul Yong was in this state because of her.

Just then, the door creaked open slowly and Eun Jung’s head popped in.

“Hey, can I come in?”

Ji Yoon gave her a small smile and nodded her head.

Her partner stepped inside the room and closed the door quietly behind her. Shoving both hands into her pocket, Eun Jung walked over towards where Ji Yoon was sitting.

“So...any sign of improvement yet?”

Ji Yoon shook her head sadly.

She felt Eun Jung giving her shoulder a light squeeze.

“Don’t worry. I’m sure he’s going to be fine soon. Hang in there okay?”

Ji Yoon managed a tight smile before asking,

“What about you? Feeling better already?”

“Hmm, not so bad now. Thank God you guys found me. I don’t what would happen to me if you guys had just left without me.”

Ji Yoon let out a small laugh.

“Do you really think Doo Joon would leave without you? We found him searching around the warehouse for you frantically. There was no way we could abandon you.”

“You know, I really can’t believe Junsu is their leader. I mean, I know he had always been a jerk but...I’m sorry,” Eun Jung stopped herself when she noticed that Ji Yoon’s expression had instantly darkened when she mention the deceased name. “I won’t talk about him again or bring the matter up, I promise.”

“It’s okay. It’s all over anyway. I just don’t want to think about it anymore.”

The door opened again, this time revealing Ga Yoon’s familiar face.

“Ji Yoon-ah...” she called out apprehensively. “Am I interrupting something?”

“No...not at all. Come on in.”

Eun Jung took the cue to leave. She knows that the two friends probably have a lot to talk about privately.

“I’ll see you later, okay? And stay strong.”

Ji Yoon nodded gratefully at her. Eun Jung offered a friendly smile at Ga Yoon before making her way out of the room. The latter returned her smile while she waited patiently until she was left alone with Ji Yoon.

She took the nearby spare chair and pulled it next to Ji Yoon.

“How are you feeling?” she asked as she settled herself down on the seat.

Ji Yoon inhaled deeply. There was no point in lying to Ga Yoon or trying to put up a strong front. She knows anyway.

“I honestly do not know. I guess I’ll be fine once he regains consciousness.”

Ga Yoon nodded her head thoughtfully. She took Ji Yoon’s hand in hers and gave it a gentle, comforting squeeze.

“We’ll get through this.”

“Then...what about you? Are you okay? I mean...after what happened that night...?”

A small distant smile appeared on Ga Yoon’s face. She shook her head slightly, as though not quite believing she had done something she would have never dreamed of doing.

“He was a bad person, a really evil person. I don’t feel guilty for killing him, if that is what you’re asking. But no...I’m not going to do it again. And that night...that was for Sang Hyun,” she whispered forlornly.

Ji Yoon wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her friend close to her. She patted Ga Yoon’s back encouragingly, trying to give her some form of support.

“But I’m okay now, don’t worry!” Ga Yoon replied in an upbeat voice, something which she was clearly forcing out. “It’s all done now right? There’s nothing that we can do to change the past. We should all move on with life.”

“Ga Yoon-ah...”

“Hmm?”

“I love you.”

Ga Yoon’s smile widened amusingly. She smacked Ji Yoon lightly on the arm.

Yah, stop being mushy.”

Ji Yoon couldn’t suppress her giggle. Having Ga Yoon beside her definitely helps a lot. She was truly grateful for her presence.

“Anyway, what happened to the guys you were with? Yo Seob and Hyun Seung?”

“Oh! Well, Hyun Seung is recovering surprisingly fast. A couple of broken ribs, but he insisted that he’s completely fine. He thanked me though...” Ga Yoon looked down at her hands. “I’m glad nobody else had to die.”

“Yo Seob...he’s clearly still traumatised by the whole thing,” she continued in a disheartened voice. “It’s really a pity, what that boy has to go through at such a young age.”

Ji Yoon let out a long sigh.

“Will all of our lives ever be normal again?”

 

Ga Yoon stepped out of Chul Yong’s room about a few minutes later, with the excuse that she has some other errands to run. But truthfully, she had a feeling Ji Yoon wanted to spend some alone time with Chul Yong.

She hope, for everyone’s sake, and especially Ji Yoon that Chul Yong would wake up really soon. She doesn’t want her friend to have to go through the same thing as her.

“Oh, there you are. I’ve been looking all over for you.”

Ga Yoon turned around in surprised and saw one of the Beast members hurrying towards her. She frowned in confusion. Why was he looking for her?

“Sorry. Glad I found you,” he told her in a slightly breathless voice when he had caught up with her. “I need you to come with me for awhile.”

“Uh, Doo Joon isn’t it? I’m sorry, but what is this about?”

He studied her face closely before saying the next few words carefully.

“Yo Seob is asking for you.”

 

“Yo Seob?”

He looked up expectantly at the sound of her voice. She saw a smile lit up on his face when he realises that she has finally come around to see him.

“Um, Doo Joon told me you were looking for me?” Ga Yoon asked uncertainly, closing the door gently behind her.

He nodded his head eagerly at her.

“Come closer,” he told her while gesturing for her to take a seat on the empty chair in the room. Ga Yoon neared it tentatively, her mind reeling with a lot of questions.

As she sat down on the chair, Yo Seob gave her another huge grin.

“Thanks for dropping by. Actually, I want to thank you personally. I know Hyun Seung has probably done so but...really. If you hadn’t come by, I don’t think I’ll still be sitting here, having a conversation with you right now. So, thank you.”

A strand of hair fell in front of her face and Ga Yoon swept it aside and tucked it behind her ear as she smiled understandingly at him.

“No problem. I’m glad that you’re okay now.”

“Well, yeah...I guess I am. And I’m not going to lie, I still have nightmares about it but I’m going to go for counselling sessions. I’m going to get help.”

“Really? That’s good for you. If you want, I can accompany you sometimes.”

Ga Yoon didn’t know what made her say that but she felt genuinely serious about helping Yo Seob get back on track. Whatever that she can do to help, she will. She wanted to be there for him.

“Are you serious?” he asked excitedly. At her nod, he beamed happily. “Thanks. Really, you shouldn’t have but thanks.”

Ga Yoon couldn’t help but to chuckle softly.

“I think that’s enough thanks for now.”

 

She didn’t know what time she had fallen asleep but she woke up to someone shaking her arm lightly. Ji Yoon stirred up in her seat, just realising that she was still sitting by Chul Yong’s bed, gripping onto his hand tightly.

But...who had woke her up...?

“Ji Yoonie...” she heard his hoarse voice calling out to her. “Why are you sleeping here?”

He was awake.

He has finally regained consciousness.

Out of sheer happiness, she threw her arms around him excitedly and buried her face into his chest; totally forgetting about those wires that had been attached to his hands and body.

“Oh!” he gasped in surprise at the sudden contact.

“Oh my God, I’m so sorry,” she apologised quickly, about to pull away from him out of guilt but he placed a hand on her back and pushed her back close to him.

“What are you doing? Stay this way,” he told her with a playful grin on his sickly pale face. “How long have I been out?”

Ji Yoon gladly rests her head on top of his chest and intertwined her fingers together with his. It felt so right this way, so perfectly fitted. She heaved a huge sigh of relief. Now, her nightmares were truly over.

“Hmm, about 2 days? You scared me to death, do you know that? Please don’t ever do it again.”

Chul Yong ruffled her hair adoringly before placing a soft, tender kiss on top of her head.

“I won’t, I promise.”

 

“So apparently, Junsu figured out that Sang Hyun was on to him and that he was about to tell your brother about the things he had dig up about the 2PM gang.”

“So he had to silence Sang Hyun by killing him,” Ji Yoon finished up her partner’s report with an annoyed voice. “I can’t believe I even dated that guy. He’s so ruthless and so sly in everything he does. He was even appointed our team leader.”

“Even his father has tendered his resignation, being too ashamed to face the rest of the police force now,” Eun Jung scoffed. “Can’t blame the man. Can you imagine the son that you love betraying you like that?”

Ji Yoon shuddered at the thought.

“I hope we won’t ever have to come across such a case ever again.”

Just then, there was a knock on the door. Both of the girls looked up expectantly.

“Tae Min,” Ji Yoon welcomed him with a smile. “I thought you were still on medical leave? What are you doing here?”

The young detective returned her smile and scratched the back of his head sheepishly.

“I know noona. I just dropped by for awhile today because I heard this is your last day before you go for a long vacation. I just want you to give you this.”

He handed a black, beaded-bracelet over to her.

“My grandmother gave it to me a few years ago. It’s supposed to ward off bad lucks for you but I personally don’t believe in those things. But I do know, it somehow gives me strength when I need it the most. I hope it works out for you too noona.”

Ji Yoon clasped her fingers around the bracelet and smiled at him gratefully.

“Are you sure about this?”

He nodded in assurance.

“Thanks Tae Min. I’ll keep it close to me at all times.”

“Hey, how come she gets one and I don’t? I was nearly killed too you know!” Eun Jung pretended to sulk and crossed her arms in front of her chest.

Tae Min grinned innocently at her.

“Sorry Eun Jung noona. I only have one of it. Maybe I can give you a treat one of these days or something?”

Eun Jung broke into a huge grin when she heard that.

 

“Call me when you reach there okay. And if you’re driving over there, do not go over the speed limit Mir. I’m trusting you with my sister. Ugh, why did I even agree to let both of you go off on your own,” Chang Sun continued to grumble in unhappiness at the thought of Ji Yoon leaving him behind for 3 weeks long.

Oppa, stop it. We’ll probably extend it if you continue to nag at us like this,” Ji Yoon nudged her brother lightly in the ribs.

Chul Yong slung an arm across Ji Yoon’s shoulder and pushed the shades up the bridge of his nose.

Hyung, you’re acting as if I’m kidnapping Ji Yoon and not going to bring her back. We’re only going for a short while. Will you please stop worrying?”

Byung Hee came forward and smacked Chang Sun on the back.

“Stop acting like a child Lee Joon. It’s not like you’re not going to see her ever again.”

“He acts all tough and strong but he’s still a kid at heart,” Seung Ho intervened, walking up towards them with Ji Hyun by his side. Ji Yoon smiled watching them walking hand in hand. She was glad they had managed to work things out again and they seemed even more comfortable than before.

“Still afraid of being left all alone in the house, still afraid of the dark...” Seung Ho continued with his teasing which earned him a glare from an embarrassed Chang Sun.

“Hey!” somebody shouted from behind. “Wait for us!”

All of them turned towards the direction of the voice and saw the whole Beast gang approaching them with smiles etched on their faces. Among them, Ji Yoon saw Ga Yoon walking by Yo Seob side and of course Gi Kwang had come with Hyuna. Eun Jung’s arm was slipped around Doo Joon’s, with a happy grin spread across her face.

It was a pity So Hyun had to work today. If not, her girls would be complete.

“You weren’t actually thinking of leaving without saying goodbye to us are you?” Doo Joon wondered out loud, giving Chul Yong a light punch on the arm.

The latter just laughed out loud.

“Come on guys. We’re only going to be away for a few weeks. We’ll be back soon.”

“Yeah, the both of you better come back safe and sound. I don’t want to have to go over there and involve myself in a rescue mission or something,” Gi Kwang said jokingly.

Ji Yoon stiffened up at the sound of his voice but she felt Chul Yong giving her shoulder a gentle squeeze as he nodded his head in understament.

“I’ll make sure that won’t happen.”

“Mir, buy for me something will you?” Dong Woo spoke up. “I don’t care what it is. I just want to get a souvenir from you.”

That got him a smack on the back of his head by Jun Hyung.

“Don’t you have any shame at all, asking people to buy things for you?”

The whole group burst out laughing when Dong Woon pouted in protest.

“I was just asking.”

“We’ll get gifts for all of you okay?” Chul Yong assured them. “Hey, I guess we better go in now or we’ll miss the flight.”

A chorus of ‘Be careful’ and ‘have a safe trip’ could be heard as Ji Yoon stepped forward to give each one of her girls a hug.

“Ji Hyun, don’t ever leave Seung Ho again okay? He might not say it but he’ll always need you.”

The other girl smiled knowingly at her.

“I won’t. Have fun Ji Yoon-yah.”

It was Hyuna’s turn next.

“You, please help look after my brother will you? I know you guys haven’t been talking but both of you are just too stubborn to admit that you still have feelings for each other. Kiss and make up already okay?”

Ji Yoon patted the younger girl’s head and Hyuna smiled sheepishly at her.

“I know, unnie. I’ll fix things soon. Enjoy yourself over there.”

She got to Eun Jung next.

“Lead the team well. You do have the capability for it.”

Eun Jung pinched both of her cheeks hard.

“Stop thinking about work for awhile and go have the break you very well deserve Ji Yoon.”

Ga Yoon was the last person. She already had her arms stretched out, waiting for Ji Yoon to pull her into an embrace.

“You are the best, you deserve the best Ga Yoon. And Yo Seob...he’s a really nice guy isn’t he?”

Ga Yoon smacked her lightly on the arm as they pulled away from each other.

“Right. Come back soon okay? You owe me a lot of brunch dates.”

Someone tapped her on the shoulder. Ji Yoon whirled around curiously.

“Uh, doesn’t your brother get a hug too?”

Oppa!” she threw her arms around Chang Sun’s broad shoulders and leaned in close towards him. “I have you to thank everything for. I know we had many agreements in the past but I hope when I come back later, we can start afresh and understand each other better.”

“Me too Ji Yoon, me too,” he whispered into her ear. “I’ll wait for your return.”

She felt someone’s arm slipping around her waist, pulling her away from the moment.

“It’s time Ji Yoonie. They’ve already called for us,” Chul Yong urged her on with a smile. “Hyung, we’ll get going now.”

They bid their farewells to everyone that had came to see them off. Ji Yoon didn’t stop waving goodbye until they had all disappeared from her sight.

True, they are going to come back soon. But she was already starting to miss them.

“What are you thinking about?” she heard Chul Yong whispering into her ear. She looked up at him and realised that he has taken his shades off, his warm eyes gazing back into hers.

And right there and then, she felt safe. There was nowhere as that she would rather be and that she would always need him by her side. She was grateful, so thankful that they had all, that they both had survived the ordeal together.

She leaned in her face closer to him, reaching up for his lips.

“Nothing. I love you.”

 

Decided to post this up tonight for you guys, and especially Eezah who's in serious need of cheering up :D 

I don't have a lot of readers for this story but I certainly have amazing, loyal readers. Thank you for all your support and encoragement. It gave me the motivation that I needed to complete this. And seriously, this is the longest story I've ever written. I put in so much time and energy into this but it's worth it for me because well, I feel satisfied with it. I hope you guys love it as much as I do :) 

Thank you guys, thank you a lot <3