Twelve.

Deceptions

 

“So what’s your plan now Joon?” G.O asked the second the former had told them about what had happened.

All four of them were now gathered in the special room where they conduct their underground meetings; hidden away by the large warehouse used to ship off their business supplies.

Guns, rifles, knives and all other kinds of weapons could be found stacked against the large cabinets fixed on the wall. Two of the guns from Lee Joon’s special collection were missing, already fastened against the strap of his belt. Mir has wandered off towards where the long-range rifles were kept, closely examining his favourite personal piece with much admiration.

Seung Ho on the other hand was sharpening the tip of his blade until it gleamed brightly underneath the room’s dim light. As he sat by the wooden bench, he had a distant look on his face, as though his mind were occupied with some other problems. Lee Joon would’ve asked what was troubling their leader, but right now, all that he could care about was saving Hyuna. They were running out of time.

“Ambush doesn’t always work well, do they?”

G.O just gave him a wry smile.

“That might work to our disadvantage Joon. They are bigger in number, compared to us,” he reminded the distraught Joon who was scratching the back of his head thoughtfully. “We need a detailed plan to make this work.”

“So where are we supposed to get her hyung?” Mir asked, trudging over towards where the other two was hunched over a long table.

Lee Joon took his phone out and threw it on the table. Mir picked it up gingerly.

“They texted me the address just before you guys reached here. Apparently, it’s one of their many meeting places.”

“What the hell is this?”

All four pair of eyes turned towards the door immediately.

Ji Yoon stood in the middle of the doorway, with her hands placed on her hips. She looked shagged, completely worn-out but definitely ready to kick some . Her white tee was tucked out slightly but her black blazer covered it up pretty well. Her brown hair seemed to be uncombed, with strands sticking out of places.

Ji Yoon definitely doesn’t look her best right now, but nevertheless, Lee Joon could see Mir’s face brightening up at her presence. Things were definitely still tensed between them but Lee Joon knew that Ji Yoon was trying hard not to smile when she saw Mir was there with them too. These kids, can’t they just kiss and make up already?

“Dongsaeng-ah,” Lee Joon sighed. “Didn’t I tell you, I’ve got this? Why did you still come?”

Oppa,” Ji Yoon marched over towards where he was standing. “Since when, have I ever listened to you?”

They stood there in front of each other, levelling one another with hard stares until Seung Ho couldn’t help it anymore but to intervene between them.

“That’s it guys,” the leader rolled his eyes, hitting Lee Joon lightly on the chest with the back of his hand. “Back off each other.”

“Seung Ho’s right guys,” G.O was quick to agree. “Joon, since Ji Yoon’s already here, why don’t we just fill her in? Hyuna’s her friend too.”

Stubborn as he is, Joon was adamant of getting Ji Yoon out of there. It wasn’t that he dislike her presence, he didn’t want to endanger his sister’s life anymore than it already is. But one stern look from Seung Ho, Joon knows he meant business. Although he calls most of the shots, he still couldn’t bring himself to defy Seung Ho’s orders.

“Fine,” he finally relented. “But she’s not going head-first into the plan.”

And quietly, he stood back while the other two filled Ji Yoon in about what had happened, with Mir adding in details every few minutes. They were just about to tell her about what they were planning to do when Ji Yoon held up her hands in protest.

“Wait a minute. Guys, this is illegal.”

Lee Joon scoffed while taking out the bullets casing from one of the drawers.

“What did I tell you guys? It getting a police detective as a sister.”

“Ji Yoonie... “Mir tried to use his aegyo but Joon doubt it was going to work. “We have to. Going through the right method by bringing in the police, it will be even more risky for Hyuna.”

Surprisingly, Ji Yoon’s expression started to soften even though Lee Joon was pretty sure it wasn’t caused by Mir’s ridiculous aegyo. Perhaps, the thought of Hyuna getting into more trouble scares her.

“I’d get into trouble by doing this...” Ji Yoon muttered, shaking her head slightly.

Lee Joon slammed the box that he was holding down hard on the table, causing the other four to flinch unwillingly.

“Oppa...”

“Just let me get through this Yoon,” Lee Joon said quietly, keeping his eyes fixed on the box containing the bullets. “Just let me save Hyuna and you can do whatever you want after that. Arrest me? I won’t care anymore.”

“Oppa...”

“I just don’t want anything to happen to her Yoon,” Lee Joon continued in an uneven voice as he finally looks up to face his sister. Ji Yoon felt a pang of guilt when she saw that his eyes had started to redden; from tears or anger – she has no idea.

But what she does know – Joon is determined to rescue Hyuna using his own ways.

And she isn’t going to be the one to stop him.

Not this time.

Gwenchana,” she said and a small smile started to spread across her face. “Let’s catch those guys, shall we?”

 

“So this is what we’re going to do...” Joon laid out his plan towards the others after all five of them had managed to get some dinner before pursuing on. “I doubt their leader’s going to be there. He knows we’re going in with an attack...”

“So he’ll let his subordinates handle us while he watches from afar,” G.O finished. “That kind of leader is a jerk.”

“I’m thinking of leaving you guys behind you know,” Seung Ho piped in, just for the fun of it.

“Shut up man,” G.O said, while pointing the tip of his gun right at his leader’s chest. “Not going to happen.”

“And I don’t think all of them are going to be in the building,” Joon continued on with his explanation, ignoring the other two completely. “Two will be most likely posted outside to guard the door.”

“3 down,” Mir said automatically while doing some mental calculation. “That’s three more right?”

“Yes Mir,” Joon exhaled exasperatedly. “That’s simple Mathematics. So two of them will be holding on to Hyuna while the other one will be doing the negotiating.”

“Which won’t be much of a negotiation after they realise we don’t have the USB they are looking for,” G.O reminded him. “Seriously, what makes they think that it’s with us?”

“Do you think the BEAST guys know anything about it?” Mir asked suddenly from Joon’s left side. “I mean, maybe they are actually unsure on who actually has it so that’s why they are attacking both of our groups.”

“It’s a blind aim you mean?” Seung Ho raised his eyebrow. “It’s not funny, doing wild guesses like that.”

“Since when have they cared about things like that?” Joon rolled his eyes before proceeding on with his plan. “Listen here guys. We’ve got to do this right. We’re already outnumbered.”

Someone cleared from behind. Lee Joon turned around to see Ji Yoon watching him carefully.

“You said the leader isn’t going to be there right? So there’ll only be five of them,” she said pointedly.

“Yes,” Lee Joon frowned as he thought about where Ji Yoon was driving at. “No, Yoon. You’re not going in.”

“Give me a break oppa!” Ji Yoon argued, crossing her arms in front of her chest and stomped her foot lightly. “I didn’t undergo the police training for nothing!”

“No. I allow you to participate in this discussion but I’m not letting you in on this plan,” Joon said firmly, his over-protective brotherly instincts already kicking in. “Please Yoon, don’t give me another thing to worry about.”

“But I...”

“No buts Ji Yoon.”

Hyung...” Mir spoke up at the same time.

“What?” Joon turned towards him crossly.

“Maybe there’s a way for Ji Yoon to come along with us.”

Joon stared at him in disbelief, giving him a look that said ‘Are you out of your mind?’ but Mir just shrugged casually. He knows his girlfriend well enough. Ji Yoon won’t budge; she isn’t the type to give in easily.

“She’ll stay with me hyung,” Mir jumped in quickly before Joon could unleash his anger towards him instead. “She’ll stay with me at the rooftop. I’ll keep her safe.”

Seung Ho rubbed his chin thoughtfully.

“I kind of agree with Mir on this Joon. You never know, we might need an extra help. And Ji Yoon’s a detective after all...”

“Are you insane?” Joon cried out, his eyes flashing in anger at his leader. “I’m not risking her life like that! It’s already like a suicide mission going along with this.”

“She doesn’t have to go down with you guys hyung!” Mir intervened, stepping in between Seung Ho and Joon. He was aware of the sudden tensed atmosphere. A riot might just break out in their own warehouse before they could even get to their rivals.

“She’ll be with me at the rooftop!” Mir repeated his words slowly, as though trying to let the words sink in Joon’s mind. “Nothing is going to happen there hyung. You know that too. They won’t be able to locate me there. She’ll be safe with me hyung. You trust me don’t you?”

Lee Joon’s wild eyes travelled from Seung Ho’s face to Mir’s anxious expression.

“She’s your girl Chul Yong,” he said dryly. “Don’t you care?”

“Oppa...” Ji Yoon started to step forward but Mir held up his hand to stop her from doing so.

“It’s because I care so damn much that I want her to be there with me, right in front of me. Because right now, right from this very second, I don’t trust her being in some other place. Alone. They might get to her when I’m not watching.”

“They might get to her just like how they got to Hyuna.”

Mir’s words seemed to weigh down on Joon’s mind heavily as he tried to think of other options but found none. In a way, Mir was right. It was better to have Ji Yoon there with them; than leaving her alone unprotected.

“You...you’ll keep her safe. You hear me?” Joon asked him a low voice as he hardened his gaze on the younger boy. “Anything happens to her, I’ll hold you responsible.”

“Trust me hyung,” Mir answered in an equally serious tone. “I won’t let anything happen to her.”

 

For these few chapters, MBLAQ is going to be in the spotlight for awhile. But not to worry, BEAST will come back very soon :)