Chapter 1

Deceptions

Ji Yoon has been training in the police force for 4 years straight and never once did she think of quitting. Her job was mentally and physically challenging but that’s the best part of it. She could see herself being in the same career line for the rest of her life.

But right at that moment, as she stood in front of her best friend’s trembling body; she begins to think twice about carrying on with the title of a police detective.

“Ga Yoon-ah,” she called out softly as she approached her friend with tentative steps. She placed her hand tenderly on the broken girl’s shoulder and the next second, she pulled Ga Yoon into a comforting hug. Ji Yoon wasn’t the type of person who offers warmness to others but she would always come through for her friends when they needed her to.

“It’s going to be okay,” she continued in a soothing voice, in hopes to calm down the other girl’s uncontrollable sobs. “I’ll find out who’s behind it. I’ll make sure the person will pay for his/her mistakes.”

“S-sang Hyun…H-he didn’t deserve this Ji Yoon,” Ga Yoon was having trouble getting the words out of . She took a really deep breath before continuing. “He didn’t even want to be part of that gang,” she spat the last word out.

As Ji Yoon her back tenderly, she heard footsteps rushing towards them. Without turning around, Ji Yoon already knew who they were. And she doubt Ga Yoon was ready to be in their presence just yet.

“Ji Yoon…Ga Yoon…” Ji Hyun’s familiar voice was heard first and a second later, her concerned face filled both of their views. “W-what happened? Where’s Sang Hyun?” she asked as her eyes wandered wildly around the nearly deserted hospital corridor.

“He’s dead!” Ga Yoon cried out hysterically. “He isn’t coming back! He’s dead and he has left me for good!”

“Ga Yoon, shh,” Ji Yoon pulled her closer and ignore hits of protests from her. “Calm down okay?”

Ji Hyun who was taken aback by Ga Yoon’s sudden outburst and also the shocking news, dropped to the empty chair next to her with a loud thud. She has a dazed look on her face; like she couldn’t believe all of this was really happening. Standing next to her, Seung Ho, Byung Hee and So Hyun looked down at their feet awkwardly, not knowing how exactly to react to the news.

Ji Yoon narrowed her eyes disapprovingly at the two guys. Like it or not, they must know something about Sang Hyun’s incident. And Ji Yoon is definitely going to have a talk with them after she has send the distraught Ga Yoon home safely.

And aside from them, Ji Yoon is fully aware of two other guys who might have some information to offer her. But to her disappointment, both her brother and boyfriend hadn’t come along with the rest.

“Ji Hyun…can you take Ga Yoon home? She’s in no condition to drive herself home,” she asked in a low voice, not wanting to disrupt Ga Yoon who was already starting to calm down and keeping silent.

“Okay,” Ji Hyun nodded and gave her a worried look. “Ji Yoon-ah, who do you think did this to him? What actually happened?”

“I’m not really sure myself, for now,” she glanced up for awhile and gave the two guys a sharp look. “But I’m going to find out soon.”

 

“Spill.”

“Ji Yoon, we told you. We have no idea what exactly had happened,” Byung Hee insisted when the three of them were left alone outside of the hospital entrance. “We are just as shocked as the rest of you guys.”

“I need something to work with here. G.O,” Ji Yoon uses his alias name, in hopes of reminding him about the gang that he was in. “Give me something. You guys owe me a lot. Don’t get me started on that.”

“Ji Yoon, look,” this time it was Seung Ho who spoke up. “We might have some idea, but nothing is definite yet.”

“I’m listening,” Ji Yoon, as stubborn as she is, tapped her foot impatiently on the sidewalk. She hardened her gaze on Seung Ho’s tired face, showing him that she meant business. She was not going to walk away tonight empty-handed.

Seung Ho hesitated for a moment as he exchanged brief glances with G.O. At the latter’s shrug, Seung Ho decided they didn’t exactly have any other choice.

“I’m sure you have heard of the Beast gang,” Seung Ho started uneasily, taking off his brown jacket at the same time.

“Feeling the heat Seung Ho?” Ji Yoon asked him sarcastically, tilting her head slightly to the right.

“I’d really appreciate it if you’d drop the tone with me Ji Yoon,” Seung Ho literally looked down on her with his tall frame. “I’ve already let it slip by allowing you to drop the honorific with me.”

“Well Seung Ho oppa,” her voice was dripped with much sarcasm as she shot him an annoyed look. “I’ll decide if the information you’re going to give me is worth my respect for you.”

Seung Ho exhaled deeply when he realises there was no getting around Ji Yoon easily. The girl was no pushover and they could go on the whole night if she doesn’t get what she wants.

“I’d advise you to start with them,” Seung Ho said in his most gentle tone, hoping to cool down the atmosphere between them. “We uh…we have been having problems with them recently and maybe…”

At his pause, Ji Yoon raised her eyebrow questioningly at him; urging for him to finish his sentence.

“Well maybe…they are unhappy about some things.”

Ji Yoon took a few minutes to process the information. It was true that she wasn’t a stranger to the Beast gang. They have crossed paths a few times. But those cases were relatively small compared to what had happened to Sang Hyun. If they really had something to do with it, Ji Yoon knows she wouldn’t get much help from her partner.

“Was Sang Hyun personally involved with any one of them?” Ji Yoon asked curiously. Although she was facing Seung Ho as she talks, she watched G.O carefully from the corner of her eye. He was fiddling with his thumb nervously and fidgeted with the hem of his shirt a few times; like he was anxious to get away from that place.

“Thunder…he was a good kid,” Seung Ho said carefully, choosing to use the deceased alias’s rather than his real name. “He didn’t meddle with any one of them individually. At least, that’s what I am aware of.”

Ji Yoon had many more questions that she wanted to lay out for them. But before she got the chance to move on to her next question, she saw a figure coming up towards them from behind Seung Ho. She knew the lanky guy well enough. Even though he was wearing a black jacket with its hood almost covering his face, Ji Yoon would recognise him in any way at all.

“Well…since Mir is here, we’ll leave both of you to talk things out,” G.O hedged, nudging Seung Ho by the side. The other guy took a second to get the hint, but the moment he caught on, he too nodded in agreement.

“I’m not done with both of you yet,” Ji Yoon reminded them but she didn’t stop them from leaving. G.O was right. She needed some alone time with Mir. They needed to settle a lot of things between them.