FINALE - Part o1

Deceptions

 

Ga Yoon unlocked the door to her apartment and took a step inside after a hard day of work. Her hand swept over the switch circuit to turn on the lights. Closing the door quietly behind her, she took off her shoes and placed it neatly on the shoes-rack.

She then trudged over slowly towards the sofa as she rubbed the back of her neck tiredly. It had been a really long day. She has finally returned to work after taking a long personal leave of absence and she had almost forgotten there would be a pile of work waiting for her.

Plopping herself down on the cushy seat, her mind started to wander back towards the events that had been happening for the past few months.

Sang Hyun’s death had really left a deep impact on her life, on all of their lives. Without realising it, each of them had begin to drift apart from each other slowly. It’s been quite some time since she last talked to Ji Hyun, who used to be her listening ear whenever she had problems to unleash. Their younger dongsaengs, Hyuna and So Hyun has both gone completely quiet, not even offering a phone call or two.

And Ji Yoon, her best friend; she’s been so busy with her work...with Sang Hyun’s case. They barely had any conversations between them ever since the incident.

Ga Yoon rubbed her arms instinctively. Perhaps, she’s the one to blame. She’s been drawing herself in, pushing them all away when they tried to be there for her.

Right there and then, she made a mental note to give Ji Yoon a call the next morning and ask her out for breakfast. They both deserve it. They need to catch up with each other.

Out of the corner of her eye, Ga Yoon noticed the door to the spare bedroom was opened ajar. She inhaled sharply. The last time she stepped into the room was about two weeks ago, when she was clearing out Sang Hyun’s belongings. Truth be told, she wasn’t actually done with it yet. There was still one box left and somehow, she found it difficult to go through it.

Because if she was finally done clearing it out, it means that it’s the end.

She has to finally let go of Sang Hyun.

And she didn’t think she was quite ready for it yet.

Ga Yoon bit her bottom lip hard as she recalled back Ji Yoon’s words from the last time they had met up.

“Sang Hyun wouldn’t like seeing you all depressed like this. He’d want you to let go of him peacefully, he’d want you to get a move on with your life because he loves you...”

She let out a huge sigh.

Pushing herself off the sofa, Ga Yoon stood up tentatively and took a deep breath.

Enough was enough. It was time to move on.

She then started to walk towards the empty room. Switching on the lights, her eyes landed on the last unopened box which was laid down in the middle of the room.

Trudging over towards it, she knelt down in front of the box and placed a hand carefully on top of it. Slowly, she started to peel off the tape which had sealed the opening.

Once it was off, Ga Yoon lifted up the cover and took a peek inside of it. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of things. Well, this is going to be shorter than she thought.

And the sooner to say goodbye to Sang Hyun.

Clenching her left fist tightly, Ga Yoon willed herself not to cry. She’s done enough of it. She was stronger than this.

She took out the first item on top of the pile. It felt velvety and smooth, a hard cover of a book. Taking it out finally, she realised that she was holding onto a diary.

Her two eyebrows furrowed in confusion. She didn’t know Sang Hyun had actually kept a personal diary.

She turned over the first page slowly and started to read the dated entry.

“This is weird, writing in a diary. But I guess I need one. There’s so many things that I want to let out and there’s nobody that I can actually talk to. Well, there’s always Yoon but there are some things which are better left unsaid right?”

She leafed over the pages casually, skipping some pages because the entries weren’t necessarily long. It was just mostly Sang Hyun venting out his anger about how his day had went. Some of it covering about his day spent together with her, and all the fun he had.

And it made Ga Yoon smiled sadly to herself. The memories, they can be really inviting. But they were just hauntingly depressing.

Flipping through the pages until the last entry, Ga Yoon paused for awhile as she stared down at the date written on top of the page.

It was written two days before he had been killed.

“I’ve always wanted to tell Joon hyung about this since it concerns his sister but there was never really a right time. I’ve had this uneasy feeling when Ji Yoon started dating Junsu back then. I don’t know what it is, but there is something definitely fishy going on about that guy. I come from a ‘gang’ myself...well kind of. I’d know these types of bad guys. And Junsu? He’s the worst definition of it...”

Ga Yoon read through the whole paragraph right until the last word. And it literally made her heart stopped when she finished reading the last sentence.

“Oh my God...” she muttered. “I have to find Ji Yoon now.”

 

“What are we going to do Ji Yoon-ah?” Eun Jung asked restlessly as both of them were driving towards MBLAQ’s warehouse, where Junsu had instructed them to do so. “Do you think all the boys are together now?”

Ji Yoon tightened her grip on the steering wheel as she pressed on for more speed. Being agitated always makes her feel rushed and overwhelmed. She just wanted to reach there quickly and see for herself if they were all there together. She tried calling Chul Yong’s phone for a few times but he wasn’t picking up. Likewise for Doo Joon, he wasn’t returning any of Eun Jung’s calls either.

Now, both detectives were getting insanely anxious by the minute.

“What do we do if they’re really there?” Eun Jung shot her with another question. “Do we arrest them or do we let them escape?”

Ji Yoon cussed softly under her breath, something she rarely does.

“Do you want to lose your job?”

“Then, do you want to lose your boyfriend?” her partner rebuked back. “Look Ji Yoon, this isn’t going to work out either way you see it. There has to be something that we can do.”

“Well, my brain’s suddenly not functioning good right now, I don’t know why. But maybe you’d like to think of something because I don’t think anything will work right now,” Ji Yoon replied sharply without taking her eyes off the road. Junsu’s black car was up ahead of them and they were now only a few metres away from the warehouse.

“Okay look, here’s what we’re going to do,” Ji Yoon continued when the girl next to her remained silent. “If we manage to catch up with them, we’ll tell them to run. Then later we’ll just tell Junsu they escaped or something.”

A small smirk was playing on Eun Jung’s lips.

“Desperate times call for desperate measures eh?”

Ji Yoon just rolled her eyes.

“Don’t push it.”

 

Damn it Ji Yoon, why are you not picking up?” Ga Yoon murmured to herself as she cruised down the road in her black Hyundai. She yanked the earpiece out of her ear when calling Ji Yoon for the tenth time failed.

She tapped her fingers nervously on the steering wheel. She has to find a way to get through her friend. It was really a matter of life and death now. She had lost Sang Hyun. She isn’t going to lose Ji Yoon next.

Could it be that Ji Yoon was hanging out with the Beast guys now? She knew her best friend had been spending a lot of time with the group recently. Since Chul Yong was not answering her calls either, it couldn’t hurt trying to look for the other guys.

She suddenly remembered something Ji Yoon had told her once. The detective had invited her along when she was on her way to some guy’s house, named Yo Seob if she was not mistaken.

And if she was on the right track, his house was just around the corner. Maybe she could drop by for awhile and check things out with him. Possibly, he could know something and offer her some kind of help.

A hope was still a hope after all, no matter how small it is.

 

“We’re going to split up, as usual,” Ji Yoon heard Junsu’s deep voice booming over them while she was fastening her bulletproof vest. She lifted her eyes and noticed that their leader was already suited up for the mission, looking all ready to kill some meat. Ji Yoon shuddered at the thought.

This was probably the riskiest ambush she was ever going to do.

She hoped and prayed silently that all of them would be able to get out alive and that no life would be lost.

“But there is going to be a slight change in the groupings,” Junsu continued in his serious tone. “Ji Yoon, you’ll be covering the third level of this building with Tae Min.”

Ji Yoon’s mouth hung open slightly. Eun Jung gave her a bewildered look. They have never done things separately no matter how bad their arguments could get at times. They complement each other like peanut butter and jelly. They can anticipate each other’s move excellently and that is why their missions always ended up in a success.

But if Junsu wants them to change partners now, that is going to be a big problem. Especially for this particular mission.

“But me and Eun Jung are strictly partners. It’s the way things have been even way before you joined us,” Ji Yoon tried to speak up for her own benefit but Junsu just gave her a stern look in return.

“Are you defying my orders Detective?”

Ji Yoon let out a huge exasperated sigh.

“No.”

“Good. Henry and Dong Hae will cover the 2nd level. And Eun Jung, you and me will be monitoring the ground level. Is everyone clear of their positions?”

Ji Yoon’s eyebrows were scrunched together. She would’ve got it if Junsu had assigned for them to be partnered instead since they have worked on a few cases together but him and Eun Jung? Something weird is going on here.

She pulled Eun Jung aside hastily while Junsu was occupied with Henry’s questions.

“Look, I don’t know what it is but I’m not feeling good about this whole thing. Just stick to our plan okay? We’ll get out of this, we’ll make sure of it.”

Eun Jung looked carefully at her and gave her a reassuring smile.

“What are you talking about? Sure we’re getting out of this alive. We always have, haven’t we?”

“And Eun Jung-yah...” Ji Yoon her lips nervously. “Please, be careful okay?”

Taking herself by surprise even, Ji Yoon threw her arms around the shocked Eun Jung and hugged her tightly.

“Thank you for putting up with me all these while. You’re the best partner I’ve ever had.”

Eun Jung reached up her right hand and Ji Yoon’s back tenderly.

“It’s okay Ji Yoon, I totally understand. And you’re the perfect partner for me too. We’ll meet back here soon okay?”

 

A/N The ending is coming really soon guys :( So, what do you think will happen next?