Chapter 4.

Deceptions

 

“Lee Joon! Listen to me!” Hyuna cried out, hurrying after her enraged boyfriend. “Oppadidn’t have anything to do with this. Gi Kwang oppa didn’t do anything wrong Joon!”

Joon whirled around angrily, yanking his arm out of her grasp forcefully.

“Really? Give me one bloody good reason why I shouldn’t go over his place right now and tear the life out of him!”

“I’m telling you the truth Joon!” Hyuna said desperately. “Yes, he may have done some pretty bad things in the past but he’s not a killer! He didn’t kill anyone! Why won’t you believe me?” she whimpered, close to tears now.

“Thunder is dead Hyun!” Joon shouted furiously. “He’s dead and I didn’t know anything about it! I don’t even have a damn clue about what had happened. I wasn’t there for him. I was nowhere near him!”

Finally letting the words out of his mouth, Joon suddenly felt exhausted. He felt so tired than he had been in days; his energy been consumed out of his body with everything that has been happening lately. Fired from his job, thrown out from his rental apartment, coming back and finding out about his close friend’s death; it was all making him feel completely shattered.

His legs gave way and Lee Joon dropped to his knees regretfully. He pushed his face into the palm of his hands and broke into uncontrollable sobs. He wasn’t the type of man to shed tears easily but right there and then, he couldn’t care less about his pride and just for a moment he let the tears flow out easily; hoping for it to take away his pain permanently.

Joon felt Hyuna’s pair of comforting arms enveloping him into a tight hug and pressed his shaking body against her petite frame. She his back consolingly; hushing him with soft whispers of ‘everything’s going to be alright.’

He wanted so much to believe her. He wanted so much to ignore everything else and just stay there in her arms but he knew that wasn’t possible. He has to get to the root of the problem. He has to find out the murderer. He owed Thunder that much.

“I understand what you’re going through,” Hyuna said softly, still embracing him closely while the rain poured down on them heavily. Both of their clothes were soaking wet but neither cared about the fact. “And that you’re anxious to push the blame on just anyone. But Joon, you can’t act recklessly. This is a very serious matter. And things could get way out of hand if you make just one mistake.”

“I was supposed to protect him, Hyun…” Joon croaked, pressing his cheek against her chest. “I was supposed to look out for him…”

“It was not your fault…” Hyuna started.

“I need to see your brother,” Joon said at the same time.

 

“Just stay with him until I get there Hyuna! I’ll come over as soon as I can,” Ji Yoon murmured into the phone while pulling the jeans up her waist. “Just make sure he doesn’t do anything stupid.”

“I’m worried Ji Yoon-ah,” Hyuna’s frantic voice could be heard from the other end. “Lee Joon…he’s not really in a stable condition right now.”

“What are you talking about?” Ji Yoon asked anxiously as she pulled a black shirt over her head. Just then, the bedroom door opened with a creaked and Mir peeked in hesitantly. Ji Yoon signalled for him to pass over her vest which was slung over a nearby chair. Mir threw it at her, which she caught expertly with one hand. “He’s not taking them anymore, right?”

 “No!” Hyuna answered a bit too quickly. “No, of course not Ji Yoon. But I don’t know. He seems to be deeply affected by Thunder’s death, you know?”

Ji Yoon threw a quick glance at her boyfriend who was standing by the door, watching her amusingly. Even though a smile was portrayed on his face, Ji Yoon could see the hurt still lingering in his two eyes. The pain was undeniable.

“I think they all are Hyun. Anyway, I’m on my way out now. Just…keep him sane until I get there okay?”

“Okay! But quick!” Hyuna squeaked before ending their call. Ji Yoon snapped her phone shut and took her gun from the bedside table. She slipped the black piece into her right holster and gave her reflection one last check before making her way towards the door.

“You don’t have to wait for me,” she gave Mir a small smile and leaned over to give him a quick peck on the cheek. “I’ll probably be home late.”

But surprisingly, Mir placed one arm around her waist; stopping her from pulling back. He returned her smile with a sincere one and pinched her left cheek lightly with his other free hand.

“Silly girl. I’m going along with you.”

“W-what? Are you serious? Chul Yong-ah, I’m not going somewhere fun or anything…”

“Joon hyung needs all the help he can get,” Mir said calmly, slipping his fingers into hers. “I’m not letting you do this alone. Things might get…dangerous. Even for a police detective like you.”

“B-but Chul Yong…”

“No buts. I know those guys Ji Yoonie. Trust me,” Mir said firmly. He held Ji Yoon’s gaze for awhile. There might be some things that he has kept hidden from her, for her good. But Mir would never lie to her when it comes to her safety. He’s already lost a friend. He wouldn’t want to lose his girlfriend next.

I’ll never let you go there alone.”

 

“Joon!” Gi Kwang clasped his hands together as he gave the former a wide grin. “What a nice surprise to see you here.”

He was fully aware of Joon’s clenched fists by the sides and his cold hard stare analysing every part of him. But being the cool-headed person he is, Lee Gi Kwang never lets anything intimidate him.

“You…did you or did you not kill Thunder?” Joon tried to keep his voice steady but it wasn’t easy trying to stumble out his dead friend’s name. Joon pictured Thunder’s friendly boyish look smiling at him and it was all he could do to stop himself from throwing a punch at Gi Kwang’s smug face right there and then.

“Come at me Joon,” Gi Kwang puffed out his chest arrogantly, taking a step closer towards the already fuming Lee Joon. “If you really think I did it, come get me.”

Oppa!” Hyuna decided to step in as she stood between her boyfriend and brother. “That’s enough. Can you please don’t add on to the problem?”

“You stay out of this!” Gi Kwang told his dongsaeng crossly and narrowed his eyes at her. “You of all people should know why I detest your boyfriend and his whole group!” he spat out. “They’re nothing but trouble!”

“Stop it! If you’re unhappy about anything, you should just tell me. Why drag other people into this?” Hyuna shot back, raising her voice slightly.

“Go away Hyun,” Joon spoke up from behind her. “Just let me finish him off once and for all.”

Lee Joon placed a hand on her shoulder and was about to push her away when he heard brisk footsteps rushing towards him.

Oppa!” a familiar voice called out to him. “Don’t do anything stupid!”

Eh?” Gi Kwang lifted up his eyebrow and his lips curled into a teasing smirk. “The attractive detective is your sister? I never would’ve thought Joon…”

“Don’t get any ideas Gi Kwang!” Lee Joon gritted his teeth. “Don’t even think about it.”

Hyung!” another voice spoke up suddenly. “Ji Yoon is right. You might want to think about this again.”

Mir. For once, he was glad that kid had decided to come along. He was going to need all the back-up he could get.

“We can bring him down Mir!” Joon shouted back without bothering to turn around. “We can get him now.”

A second later, Joon felt someone grabbing hold of his hand and gave it a firm but gentle squeeze. He turned to his right and saw Ji Yoon smiling encouragingly at him. She didn’t say another word, aware that Gi Kwang was watching them carefully. Instead, she tried to communicate with him through her eyes.

Joon swallowed hard, suddenly realising that she was right. He…he didn’t exactly have anything with him right now. No evidence, no witnesses. Just a hunch. A stupid hunch.

And if he was wrong about the whole thing, he was going to just get everybody else into trouble too. Including Ji Yoon. He was going to put a very heavy burden on her shoulders. Like he hadn’t troubled her enough.

Joon breathed out heavily, trying to calm himself down. He looked to his left and saw Hyuna nodding at him. It was right. They were right. He has to be just a little more patient.

“Ji Yoonie!” Gi Kwang broke the awkward silence between them. “I didn’t think I’d see you again here.”

Joon gave his sister a confused look, who in return, cringed in response. Gi Kwang appears to be…too comfortable in her presence; and it was making him uneasy once again.

Just behind him, Joon could feel Mir stiffening up as he gave Gi Kwang a sharp look. The younger boy was no doubt, disliking the fact that their rival was handling everything so calmly. And not to mention, he did called Ji Yoonie instead of Detective Ji Yoon…

“I didn’t come here today for you Mr Lee…” Ji Yoon started but was quickly cut off by Hyuna’s brother.

“What did I tell you? Just call me Gi Kwang. I think we’re going to be great friends…” he said, giving her an ‘over-friendly’ smile. “And I think we’re going to see each other frequently now, since you’re actually Joon’s sister.”

“What do you mean?” Ji Yoon asked curiously, watching Gi Kwang from the corner of her eye.

The latter started to walk towards her slowly but Ji Yoon held up her hand defensively.

“Just stop there! Don’t move another step.”

“But why? Gi Kwang protested but he did as he was told. “Come on, it’s not nice this way isn’t it? We can all just talk things out nicely and…”

“We don’t think the word ‘nice’ actually exists in your dictionary,” Mir spoke up dryly. He took a step forward, making himself visible towards the Beast’s member. “I don’t think we have anything else to say to you.”

Gi Kwang took a second to register what was the relation to the whole thing when the truth suddenly dawned on him. He nodded his head in understament while Hyuna eyed him worriedly. She knew what he was thinking and she didn’t like it in the slightest bit.

Oppa, don’t,” she said quietly.

“Ji Yoonie…” Gi Kwang drawled, choosing to ignore his sister completely. “You keep on surprising me. I thought Joon was your only relation to the MBLAQ boys. I thought he was the only reason you’re so determined on finding out about Thunder’s killing…”

“Gi Kwang…” Ji Yoon started but was once again interrupted.

“It’s okay Ji Yoon-ah,” he replied, the teasing smile never leaving his face. “I get it.”

Just then, more footsteps could be heard pouring into the workshop. Yo Seob’s distinguished high-pitched laugh and Dong Woon’s deep manly voice were echoing through the walls. Jun Hyung’s scruffy walk and Hyun Seung’s  loud humming sound was all too familiarised to Gi Kwang’s ear. And he was sure their leader, Doo Joon, was right behind the other guys.

“You know Joon…I wanted to just let the matter go,” Gi Kwang said slowly, pacing back and forth in front of the four outsiders. “I mean I get it you’re angry right now and you’re probably dying to find out the truth.”

Lee Joon held his breath, not quite sure where the opposing guy was going with the conversation. There was something perplexing about Gi Kwang. He’s too…relaxed and easyabout the whole thing.

“But Joon, you really shouldn’t have left that message on my home’s answering machine…”