Eight.

Deceptions

 

“What the hell is happening?” Ji Yoon yelled over the loud screeching sounds the car made when Mir swerved away from an on-coming vehicle expertly.

Without saying much, he just threw a distressed glance towards the rear-view mirror. Annoyed, Ji Yoon did the same and cursed under her breath.

“Do you know who they are?”

Anye,” Mir shook his head. “Ji Yoonie, take over the wheel from me.”

“W-what?” Ji Yoon asked in astonishment. “What are you going to do?”

“Please Ji Yoon...” he pleaded, ready to change seats with her. “Just do as I say. Trust me.”

Awkward as it seems, both of them changed places hastily with Ji Yoon grabbing the wheel from him anxiously. She didn’t know why she was reacting that way. She was supposed to be composed, calm in these kinds of situations.

But...she wasn’t used to seeing Mir reacting this way. He was even more driven than her at the moment. More level-headed; like he knows exactly what he was going to do.

And that black car behind them...whose was it? Why were they following them?

“Drive faster,” Mir instructed her before rolling open his side window. “And just keep your eyes on the road.”

Then, taking her by surprise, he took out a gun from his back. Ji Yoon’s eyes widened in surprise. Where had that gun come from?

“Keep your eyes on the road Ji Yoonie,” he repeated in a firmer tone. “And whatever happens, don’t let it distract you.”

As soon as the words were out of his mouth, Ji Yoon heard a loud thunk hitting the right side of the car, the side where she was sitting at. Her driver’s mirror was smashed in an instant.

“What...was that a bullet?” Ji Yoon cried out. “Are they shooting at us?”

Without saying anything else, Mir leaned out of the window for a few seconds and fired back a perfect shot at their attacker. Just as quickly, he pulled back in instantaneously and smirked in response. Sure enough, the black car was now driving around wildly. The driver has started to lose control of the car.

A few seconds later, both of them heard a deafening boom behind them. Ji Yoon stole a glance at the mirror and saw the car had erupted into huge flames by the side of the road. Her eyes flinched away from the scene uneasily as she concentrated back on the road.

“I’ll take over now Ji Yoonie,” Mir said calmly from the passenger’s side. “I think you’re badly shaken up right now.”

Ji Yoon eyed her boyfriend angrily. Not giving him the benefit of the doubt, she stomped on the brakes hard, causing the car to halt abruptly in the middle of the deserted roadway.

She inhaled and exhaled deeply, trying to regain back her composure. She had just witness Mir taking out a gun she has no knowledge of, shooting at their pursuer skilfully and wrapped up the whole thing by blowing up the car.

“What...exactly are you capable of?” she breathed heavily, still unable to look at him directly.

“Ji Yoonie...it’s not what you think...” he started lamely.

“What else are you keeping from me?” she cried out in despair. “What Chul Yong? Tell me what have they been teaching you?”

“I’m so sorry,” he reached over to pull her into a hug but was pushed away harshly. “I wanted to tell you...”

“Did...” Ji Yoon struggled to keep her voice steady. “Did my brother teach you all of these?”

 

Hyung, I don’t see Yo Seob hyung anywhere,” Dong Woon said anxiously as Jun Hyung drove around the area carefully. “Do you think we’ve got the place wrong?”

“Didn’t Seobbie said so himself? He singled out the ‘ahjumma’ place specifically,” Hyun Seung scratched his head confusingly.

Jinjja! Use your head guys!” Gi Kwang jumped in exasperatedly from the back seat, beside Dong Woon. “If we were the bad guys, would we leave our victim some place where a lot of people can see him?”

“Kwangie is right,” Jun Hyung agreed. “Yo Seob must be in the vicinity. Just some place hidden away.”

Hyung! Drive up ahead a bit more. I think I know where,” Dong Woon said suddenly.

 

Sure enough, a few minutes later, the car’s headlights shone brightly at a lying figure in the dark alley. Jun Hyung pulled the car to a stop and almost immediately, the three others jumped out of the car without waiting for him.

Dong Woon was the first to reach the half-dead Yo Seob.

Hyung!” the maknae shook him vigorously. “Hyung, are you okay?”

“He’s bleeding badly guys,” Hyun Seung pointed out at his blood-soaked shirt. “We’ve got to get him to the hospital fast.”

“Woon, help me carry him to the car,” Gi Kwang told the miserable maknae who was still trying to wake Yo Seob up but to no avail. “Yah! I can feel his pulse so that means he’s still alive. But if you waste a second more...”

Dong Woon did not need to be told twice. He lifted up Yo Seob’s shoulder while Gi Kwang carried the legs. Jun Hyung opened up the door for them before climbing into the driver’s seat. Hyun Seung hurried in next to him.

“What about Doo Joon?” the red-haired guy asked, suddenly remembering about their leader.

“Call him and tell him that we will meet him there,” Jun Hyung replied. “Right now, we have to get to the hospital fast.”

As if on cue, Jun Hyung’s cell phone rang and Doo Joon’s name appeared in the screen. He motioned for Hyun Seung to answer instead.

“Doo Joon-yah, we have him. Yo Seob’s with us now. We’re on the way to the hospital...” Hyun Seung paused awhile, listening intently to what the other person has to say.

“But Doo Joon, you can’t possibly be serious,” Hyun Seung started to argue but a second later his face fell. “Okay, I get it. Alright, I’ll tell them.”

“What is it? What did Doo Joon said?” Jun Hyung asked while picking up on his speed after hearing Yo Seob whimpering from behind.

“Hyung! Pali!” Gi Kwang urged him on. “I don’t know for how much longer he can hold on!”

“Change of plans...” Hyun Seung broke the news to them. “Doo Joon wants us to bring him back to his house. He said he doesn’t want Yo Seob to go the hospital. They’ll ask us a lot of questions there.”

“Is he crazy?” Jun Hyung barked, gripping the wheel tightly. “That kid’s going to die if we don’t get him help fast. I don’t care what Doo Joon has to say...”

“Jun Hyung...” Hyun Seung stopped him. “Ji Yeon is waiting for us there.”

 

As gently as she could, Ji Yeon bandaged his injured wound carefully while the others watch her work her wonders by the side.

Jun Hyung sat at the edge of the table furiously with his arms crossed, still against Doo Joon’s idea of not bringing Yo Seob to the hospital. But after seeing how confident Ji Yeon had worked on attending to his friend’s wounds, his anger started to soothe down a little.

“He needs lots of rest now,” Ji Yeon said suddenly, breaking the silence among them. “Let him sleep in peace and I’ll come back to change his bandage later.”

After putting the supplies back into her bag, Ji Yeon stood up slowly and looked down on Yo Seob’s worn out face. She ruffled his hair adoringly and leaned in close to whisper something.

“You’ll be okay. You’re a strong boy, aren’t you?”

“Ji Yeonnie, thanks,” someone spoke up from behind. Ji Yeon turned around and gave Doo Joon a small smile. She shook her head slightly and gave him a light pat on the back.

“He’s going to be okay oppa. He’ll pull through.”

Her eyes wandered around the room to the other guys. Dong Woon was seated at the end of the bed, staring at Yo Seob with much regret. There was no doubt he was still feeling uneasy about the whole incident. Gi Kwang and Hyun Seung stood off to one side, with a relieved expression etched on their faces. Eun Jung who was standing by Doo Joon’s side smiled gratefully at her.

Meanwhile...Jun Hyung...

Her eyes travelled over to the other end of the room and landed on his rugged boyish face. She contemplated about going over to talk to him but then decided it’d be better to do it now then later.

She approaches him with small tentative steps, playing the words to say on her mind. She knew what he was going to say.

“I didn’t want to get you involved,” he said quietly the moment she was standing in front of him.

Yes, she knew it.

Junnie...” she called him affectionately. “I’m glad to be able to help. And Doo Joon oppa is right. Going to the hospital would just mean more trouble for you guys.”

“For you,” she added in a softer voice.

Jun Hyung let out a huge sigh.

“You really shouldn’t be here Ji Yeon-ah.”

She chuckled softly in response.

“I’m already here, aren’t I?”

 

Ji Yoon was in no mood to report for work the next morning after the rough night he had with Mir. She had wanted to call in sick but Eun Jung had texted her saying her superior wanted to meet both of them that morning, saying he had something important to tell them.

Her colleagues greeted her when she walked into the office, just like any other day but she could tell something was different. She saw a couple of them whispering as she walked past them, some giving her sharp looks. Ji Yoon was starting to think they had found about what happened the night before when Eun Jung’s face suddenly appeared in front of her.

“There you are!” she panted and pulled her into a small meeting room. “We’ve been waiting for you.”

“What’s wrong Eun Jung-yah?” Ji Yoon eyed her partner suspiciously. “Are we in trouble or something?”

“I don’t know,” the short-haired girl shrugged. “But his voice sounded really urgent.”

Just then, the door to the room opened with a soft creak and both of them whirled around expectantly.

“Good, since both of you are here I’m not going to waste anymore time,” Lieutenant Kim motioned for someone to come into the room.

Both Ji Yoon and Eun Jung fixed their gaze on the door, curiously waiting to see who their superior had wanted them to meet early in the morning.

But the second the figure came into their view, a feeling of dread washed over Ji Yoon. As though yesterday’s incident wasn’t bad enough...

“Uh oh. Don’t tell me we’re going to have to work with him...” Eun Jung muttered to her.

“Eun Jung, Ji Yoon. Starting from today, my son’s going to aid you in your current case.”

A small smirk started to play on his face as he held Ji Yoon’s gaze.

Ji Yoon mentally cursed him silently in her mind.

Kim Junsu...who knew we would cross paths again eh?

Annyeong,” he greeted them. “I hope we’ll be able to work well together.”

 

Guys? I don't really ask for this from my other fanfics but idk why it's needed for this story. Comments maybe? It'll be deeply appreciated ^^