Three

Deceptions

 

“You seem to be really tired tonight,” Mir commented when Ji Yoon plopped herself down on the couch beside him. “Tough day?”

Ji Yoon nodded slightly and rubbed her temple tiredly. A small sigh escape as she gazed emotionlessly at the television screen.

Without saying anything else, Mir pulled her closer to him and placed both hands on her shoulders. As he started to massage her worn-out body gently, he could feel her relaxing under his touch. Gradually, she let herself be taken in and slumped backwards, leaning her head against his chest.

 

“I’m not so sure about this case Chul Yong-ah,” she suddenly spoke up. “It’s so frustrating…”

“What is?” he asked, still continuing to rub her sore spots tenderly. “You’ve never been a quitter Ji Yoonie. What’s wrong?”

At the mention of her name, he felt her stiffening up slightly; like something had triggered her memory. But just as quickly, she started to relax again.

“Do you think I can catch this person, whoever did this to Sang Hyun?” she asked him doubtfully.

Letting his arms hung around her neck leisurely, Mir bent his head down slightly and placed a kiss on top of her head. Then he took Ji Yoon’s hands in his and gave them a gentle squeeze.

“You will,” he said softly, resting his chin on the spot where he had just kissed her. “You have always been doing a great job and I’m so proud of you. This time is no different.”

Even though Ji Yoon didn’t turn around to face him, Mir could tell that she was smiling gratefully at his encouragement. Ji Yoon, she just needed some reassurance once in awhile. Mir truly believes that she will do her job well; that she would catch the guy who had killed his close friend.

“Chul Yong-ah…” she called out to him affectionately.

“Hmm?”

“I love you.”

Mir was taken aback for a moment. It wasn’t that he was unhappy that she had said that. It was more like he was shocked. Ji Yoon…she wasn’t the type to express her feelings openly. Mir could still remember the last time she had said those three words. It was during their 2nd anniversary, a few months ago. Despite that, Mir has always known that she does love him, even though she rarely tells him that.

So for her to suddenly let her feelings be known, it was kind of peculiar. It made Mir wondered if anything had happened during the day while she was out working. If there was anything or anyone who was causing her to over-think about some stuffs.

Choosing to ignore the nagging feeling in his heart, Mir hugged her closer to his body and kissed her on the same spot for the second time.

“I love you too Ji Yoonie.”

 

Ji Yoon had just started to doze off for five minutes when the doorbell suddenly rang. It made her jolt back to reality with a startle.

“What…?” her voice trailed off when she saw Mir’s face smiling down at her.

“It’s okay. I’ll get it. You just lie down here,” he said and gave her a light pat on the back before pushing himself off the couch. Ji Yoon glanced around her surrounding and realised that she had fallen asleep in the living room, on Mir’s lap. She must’ve been really tired to even notice anything.

Ji Yoon rubbed her eyes jadedly and stifled a yawn while she waited for Mir to come back into the living room.

When he didn’t return after a whole of 10 minutes, Ji Yoon decided to get up and check things out for herself. But before she had the chance to do so, a pair of muscular arms wrapped her around the neck and a kiss was planted on her right cheek.

Dongsaeng!” Lee Joon’s cheerful voice rang loud and clear in her ear, causing Ji Yoon to cringe in response. “I’ve missed you so much!”

“Ugh oppa,” Ji Yoon grunted as she tried to loosen herself from her brother’s tight grip. “You’re…suffocating…me.”

“Ji Yoon-yah!” Joon called out excitedly as he finally let go of her. He jumped over the couch and landed next to Ji Yoon perfectly. “Yah…” he took her right arm and shook her vigorously.

“What oppa?” Ji Yoon replied in an annoyed voice. Just then, Mir walked into the living room and settled himself down next to her left. He smiled amusingly at Joon’s childlike ways and turned his attention towards the show playing on the television. He certainly didn’t want to Joon’s next ‘hug victim’.

Dongsaeng! I’ve got good news!” Joon exclaimed, his two eyes shining brightly as he let go of her arm. “I’ve got good news! Do you want to hear it?”

Oppa, you sound retarded,” Ji Yoon said dryly. “But what is it?”

“I’ve got a job!” Joon cheered and threw his arms around Ji Yoon once again. “Like a real job. Where I’ll be paid.”

“Well that’s good oppa,” Ji Yoon tried to keep an upbeat voice but it wasn’t so easy in her sleepy condition. Plus, she was supposed to show up for work at 9am the next day. She really needed the rest.

“I’m so excited!” Joon grinned and he pulled away from Ji Yoon. “You were the first person I thought of to share the good news.”

“That’s really great,” Ji Yoon forced a smile. “But seriously, you could’ve come earlier in the day. Or called me first. I’m really tired right now.”

Wae?” Joon asked with a blank look on his face.

Oppa…I’m working,” Ji Yoon replied exasperatedly. At once, she felt Mir’s arm snaking around her comfortingly. He must’ve heard the weariness in her tone. Ji Yoon laid her head against his shoulder gratefully.

“Oh!” Joon smacked his head in realisation. “I’m sorry dongsaeng. I totally forgot about that. How’s your job anyway?”

Oppa…do you even know what has happened?” she asked him curiously.

“No. What happened?”

“Sang Hyun…he’s…” Ji Yoon took a deep breath. “He’s dead.”

All the colour drained from Joon’s face as he tried to register the piece of information Ji Yoon had just told him. He gripped the edge of his seat tightly, unsure if Ji Yoon was actually playing a mean trick on him. When he finally noticed that Mir hadn’t said anything from just now and that his expression had suddenly hardened, Joon realised that Ji Yoon was actually speaking the truth.

But why hadn’t anyone told him? Why didn’t they come looking for him?

Oppa…” Ji Yoon called out softly. “Where have you been? Do you know who did this to him?”

“I…I don’t know Yoon…” Joon replied unconvincingly. “I…I have to go now.”

He stood up and got ready to leave but Ji Yoon tug at his hand.

Oppa, if you know anything…You have to tell me,” she pleaded with him. “It isn’t for me. It’s for Sang Hyun, oppa. He was your friend right?”

“Yoon…I really don’t know anything,” Joon said uneasily, suddenly anxious to get out of the house.

Hyung…” this time it was Mir who had spoken up. Joon waited patiently for what the younger boy had to say. He had a feeling, Mir was thinking of the exact same thing as him.

“Be careful,” he finished, finally looking up at Joon. When their eyes met, a form of understanding passed through them; neither needed to say anything else. Joon gave him a small nod.

“Don’t worry about me. Mir,” he paused before taking another step. Ji Yoon was hoping that perhaps her brother had changed his mind and would offer her a clue but she should’ve known better.

“Please, take good care of Ji Yoon.”

 

“Where have you been?” Gi Kwang demanded the moment the front door flew open. “It’s already 2 in the morning!”

Hyo Min threw her car keys onto the coffee table and threw herself onto the two-seater sofa. She pinched the bridge of her nose tiredly and closed her eyes; totally ignoring the bewildered Gi Kwang who was staring down at her.

“Yah!” he raised his voice and nudged her leg with his. “I’m talking to you!”

Her eyes flew open and she gave her boyfriend an icy glare.

“Gi Kwang! I’m tired!” Hyo Min snapped, louder than she had meant to. “Can you please just keep quiet?”

Unsatisfied, Gi Kwang sat down beside her to clarify his doubts.

“What are you doing?” Hyo Min asked in confusion as he started to tug at the collar of her red blouse.

“You think I don’t know what you’ve been up to?” Gi Kwang shot back, his hands still fussing with the top button while Hyo Min tried to push him away. “I know you’re still seeing your ex-lover behind my back! He must’ve left a hickey or something!”

A tight slap flew across his face the second the last word was out of his mouth.

“Don’t you dare accuse me of cheating on you!” Hyo Min gritted her teeth, trying to keep her voice down. The last thing she needed was the neighbours knocking on their door, just like what had happened during their last argument. She was completely drained out from dealing with customers for one whole day and she definitely didn’t need anyone else to meddle in her personal affairs. And to top it off, Gi Kwang was being ridiculously unreasonable.

“I’m right, aren’t I?” he challenged her with a sneer. “You still do have feelings for him!”

Damn it Gi Kwang! What is wrong with you?” Hyo Min asked in utter disbelief. “There’snothing going on between me and Lee Joon!”

 “Really? Well then, what is the meaning of this?”

Gi Kwang stood up and walked over towards their house phone. He pressed a couple of buttons and a second later, Joon’s familiar deep voice could be heard over the loud-speaker.

“Uh Hyo Min? I tried calling your phone but couldn’t reach you…” he paused for awhile, and Hyo Min waited cautiously for him to continue. Her heart was pounding wildly, not quite sure on how she could bail herself out of the situation. It was true, they had been keeping in touch after they part ways but…Hyo Min had tried her best to distance herself away from her ex-boyfriend; knowing how jealous Gi Kwang could get at times.

Hyo Min swallowed hard as she stole a quick glance at him who was smirking by the phone. He knew he has caught her this time.

“I really need to see you,” Joon continued in a more pleading voice. “I…there’s something that I have to talk to you about. Please…Call me as soon as you get this message.”

“So, jagiya…” Gi Kwang turned to give her cynical smile. “What do you have to say now?”