one

The Last Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


               He handed you a bouquet of roses with a note with it. You on the other hand accepted it.

               "I Love You!" He says, looking into your eyes.

               You let out a giggle, "Awwe~ I love you too." You spoke, while ruffling his hair. Since he was shorter than you it was easy to do that. Actually, you love to ruffle his hair.

               He then removed your hands from his head. "No. No." He shook his head. "No its not like that. I mean what I am saying." He said.

               You blink your eyes at him, thrice, before speaking again. "But I do love you."

               He let out a heaved sigh, "I was trying to say that... you... to... me.... that..." he paused, not knowing how he was going to say it to you. His gaze shifted on the snowy ground.

               "That what?" You waited for him to answer. There was a long silence between you two. He's eyes are still on the ground while you stare at, waiting him to speak up.

               Cold breeze caressed your face. It was winter that time.

               "Yifan-ah." You tapped his shoulder. "You know I love you right? I really do." He look at you. "I love you Yifan." You smiled warmly at the boy. "As your bestfriend, of course I love you."

               He clenched his fist, by hearing those last few words, especially when you say ‘as your bestfriend’. He was trying to say something else to you.

               He shook his head once again. "No. No! You still don't get it!" He says, while shaking his head.

               "Then wha-"

               He clenched his fist once again and closed his eyes. "I love you Lim Lei Jin, but not as bestfriend only. Its more than that. I fell for you since the day we meet. I LOVE YOU MORE THAN A FRIEND!" He outbursted.

               You widen your eyes, shock from the sudden outburst from him. He open his eyes and stare at yours. It was the day when he collected his all courage to say those three words to you.

               "YiFan-ah. I don't... I really don't know what to say."

               He then turned around and run away, not letting you to finish your sentence. You called his name for nth time but he didn't turn around and continue to run. You only stand there on your spot holding the roses he gave to you, as you watched him run away, until his out of your sight.

 

               You went home and directly went up to your room. You placed the roses in a vase, poured some water in it and placed it on your study table, which is beside of your bed. You look up to the window, across of it was your bestfriends window. His lights are off, the whole house that is. You thought what he said to you earlier that day and many thoughts run in your mind.

               'What dis he meant earlier?'

              'I do love him, I mean his my bestfriend. Of course I do.'

               'Its like he doesn't like the answer I gave him. Yifan-ah, what are you trying to say?'

               'Did you really mean it on the other way around? But we are still young, we are barely eight years old.' You ruffled your hair and let out a sigh.

               The next morning, you went towards his house and knocked on the front door. You didn't get any response. You thought that he and his family went out. Three days had passed and everyday you'll go there house and call for your bestfriend. But he's still out of sight and neither his family. You got so curious and asked your parents about them. It was dinner time when you asked your parents. Your mom informed you that your bestfriend and his family migrated to Canada and they took off when the day he gave you the roses. You were very shocked, he didn't tell you anything about leaving China.

               You were about to excuse yourself from the dinning room when your dad spoke. He announced that he'll be busy since his position went up. He said that your mom and you will be living with your moms' sister, who lives at South Korea. You didn't say any words and nodded your head and excused yourself.

               After hearing all of those, you went up to your room and sat over the edge of your bed. You glance over the window again, where your bestfriend room is. You stare at it for a while, hoping he's lights in his room will turn on, windows will be drawn and your bestfriend will appear, showing his smiling face across your room. But no, he's around the globe now, in Canada, where it's far away from China.

               Tears are now starting to form inside your eyes. Your bestfriend left you, without informing you or even saying any goodbyes. It saddens you more after hearing your dad news; you will be staying at Korea together with your mom. You don't want to, because you're still hoping that your bestfriend will be back and if did, you are not there anymore.

               You heaved a sigh and blinked you eyes rapidly, not wanting the tears to fall. You open one of the drawers and got a piece of paper from it. It's the letter your bestfriend gave to you, together with roses. You open it and read the words again.

 

               "I won't stop loving you, 'till the last rose dies."

 

               He was referring to the roses he gave to you. You smiled and glanced up to those roses, that was placed on your study table. Your smile faded away when you noticed the petals of the roses. It's turning to brownish color and the petals are starting to fall one by one. You promised yourself that no matter what, you will do anything just to keep the roses healthy. Hence they are starting to get wither. You know one of these days all of the roses will die.

               You heaved a sigh, wiped the tear that came out from your eye, before putting back the letter inside of the drawer. You pushed your slippers from your feet and hop on bed. You took the hair brush from the bed side table (your study table) and brushed your hair. It was your daily routine at night. You put back the hairbrush but before switching off the lampshade, you glance at the roses. You squinted your eyes from the roses. You notice something was different. There was one of the rose which is still red and different from the others. The petals don’t have any brownish color or any signs that it’s starting to wither. You touch it and let out a giggle.

               You switch of the lampshade, lay down on your back and covered yourself with the blanket. You blankly stared at the ceiling and smiled once more, remembering the rose.

               "That silly boy," you giggled. "I hope he really meant it." You mumbled, before closing your eyes and drifting to dreamland.

 

 

{:Eleven years later:}

               You were brushing your hair when you heard someone knocked on your door, you put down the brush and flip your hair over you shoulder. You opened the door and your mom greeted you with a smile.

               "Lei Jin-ah, you are already prepared." She says.

               "Neh, I woke up early today." You replied with a smile. You

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter