Chapter 8 - Nostalgia

Ever After

Cho Kyuhyun and I are the epitome of awkwardness. 

He said Hi, I greeted him back and that was the end of it. Except for the part where he was obviously staring at me.

"Kyuhyun's been looking at you ever since he saw you tonight!" Amber and Sulli gushed at me.

"Well, what can I say." I joked, earning laughters from them.

Taemin walked over to us. "So, is everyone going to OUR section's 1 week party after this sleazy affair?"

I totally forgot that Sulli told me that the 1 week vacation with our classmates from college is at Okinawa, Japan and that we would all be staying at Taemin's beach house that is located near the shore of the Okinawa Beach.

"Yeah, Donghae and I are in!" Amber cheered.

"Heechul and me as well." Sulli said.

"How about you, Vic?" Taemin asked.

"Well, do I have any other choice?" I said, shrugging. 

Sulli, Taemin and Amber yelled in unison. "No!"

"Guess I'm going then." I said, shrugging.

"Going where?" Kyuhyun came out of nowhere and asked. I just raised my eyebrows at him.

"Oh. Qian said she's going with us in Okinawa!" Taemin grinned.

"Oh jinja? I didn't expect that." Kyuhyun whispered.

"Weyo?" I asked, glaring at him. 

"I just thought you'd be working..." He trailed.

"You thought wrong." I said then turned to face Sulli and Amber again. Taemin ushered Kyuhyun away and we all resumed talking, ignoring the topic of Kyuhyun.

"Yah, I wonder how much Taemin earns? He's really rich, being able to afford a beach house in Okinawa." Sulli said.

"Well, from what I heard, Taemin inherited his father's 5 star Hotel chains and also his mother's banks. So, naturally, he is really rich." Amber said.

"Daebak." Sulli whispered.

"Ayy, what are you saying Daebak for? You two earn a lot as well!" Amber said.

"Not as much as Taemin though!" I exclaimed.

"Point taken." Amber chuckled.

"So, what are you up to nowadays?" I asked Amber.

"Well, aside from the furniture business, I'm also helping Donghae in managing his entertainment company." Amber said.

"Oh right! We totally fogot to congratulate you and Donghae! We heard that AD Entertainment Company is such a huge success!" Sulli gushed.

"Thanks. Well, same to the both of you! Congrats on the firm! Song & Choi is already a very known law firm here in Korea. And is it true, from what I heard that Vic is going to be featured in the upcoming Forbes' magazine issue?" Amber said with wide eyes.

"Qian already did the interview, but she's still hesitant about it being published." Sulli pointed at me.

"Wae?" Amber asked.

I shrugged. "I don't know, it just feels weird."

"Weird? In what way? That is such a great honor!" Amber said.

"She feels bad that she was the only one who was featured. She said the firm is called Song & Choi so it would only be just if the two of us were featured." Sulli said. "But you know I'd never be featured in that Forbes' list!" 

"What do you mean?"Amber asked.

"I'm not as hardworking as Qian. She works her off 24/7 and doesn't go on breaks, while I spend my office hours drinking coffee, talking to my associates and scolding Seohyun, our new intern." Sulli said as Amber and I laughed.

"She despises our new intern." I said, matter of factly.

"Why?" Amber asked.

"I don't know, I just kind of do. And she doesn't know a thing about being a lawyer." Sulli said.

"Yah, I didn't know Sulli could be mean with no reason." Amber exclaimed, I nodded along.

Taemin came running towards us again, this time along with Nichkhun.

"They said the programs will start in a few minutes, we should go find our seats." Nichkhun said, ushering us to a round table in the middle of the event hall.

"Good evening Batch 2016 of the College of Business Administration Major in Economics of Seoul National University." The host said. Everyone started applauding. "Hope everyone is having a good time."

There were a few cheers. I noticed that our table waas the liveliest.

"While everyone is enjoying dinner, we would be flashing some very nostalgic memories of your best four years in college." The speaker announced.

Amber made a face beside me. "Not really my best years. I had such a hard time doing math!" 

Sulli and I both chuckled.

The first pictures were taken during our first years in College.

After a few photos of other students were shown, the next ones that were flashed were of our block section.

"Omo! Amber look at that!" I exclaimed. Everyone in our table started laughing.

"Why is your hair like that?!" Donghae laughed, earning a smack from Amber.

"Oh! When was that? Is that Minho?" Sulli asked.

"I think that was during the class field trip." Nichkhun said.

Everyone started laughing at the picture flashed on the screen, but I grew quiet.

"Yah! Why is our picture like that?!" Heechul exclaimed, almost standing up.

"Daebak. You two suit each other." Sulli teased.

"Jinja! Isanghae!" Kyuhyun laughed loudly. His eyes darted over to me but he quickly looked away and waited for the next pictures that would be flashed.

"Yah! How come you and Taemin have a decent picture?" Heechul exclaimed.

"I look weird back then." Taemin laughed.

"Heechul hyung don't be jealous of us!" Kyuhyun teased.

Everyone just laughed at them.

The food arrived but everyone's attention were still on the slideshow presentation. After the other pictures were flashed, a large "II" appeared across the screen, meaning that the next pictures were taken on our 2nd year in College.

"Oh God!" Taemin exclaimed.

"Why are you dressed as a girl, Taemin?!" Minho asked.

"That was for our block performance,remember?" Taemin said in embarrassment.

"Kyuhyun! How can you kiss Taemin?!" Nichkhun asked, weall doubled in laughter.

"Cho Kyuhyun! Why do you always take weird pictures with us?!" Donghae now exclaimed. Everyone was already having a hard time breathing because of laughing too much. I tried containing myself but I couldn't stop myself from laughing. Kyuhyun glanced at me before answering Donghae.

"Jinja! I think all I have are really weird pictures!" Kyuhyun snickered.

"Was my hair really that weird back then?!" Taemin said in between laughter. 

"Ne!" Everyone exclaimed in unison.

"Oh! That was when Ssul still liked Taemin!" I exclaimed.

"Aniyo!" Sulli said, blushing red.

"Aish, everyone knows about that Ssul!" Heechul teased.

"Hajima." Sulli said through gritted teeth at Heechul. Heechul shut his mouth and smiled warily at Sulli, making everyone chuckle.

"Ayy, look at that! A couples photo with Minho!" Nichkhun exclaimed.

"We didn't like each other romantically during that time though." Amber said.

"You had a crush on me by then!" Donghae said.

"I did not!" Amber answered back.

"Stop fighting already." I said, making them stop.

"Ah! Mwoya Ige?! (What is this?!)" Minho exclaimed. 

Everyone started laughing hysterically, I even laughed along.

"Yah, Cho Kyuhyun! Jinja, Isanghae!" Minho said again.

"Yah, you were the one who was hugging me!" Kyuhyun exclaimed.

"Do you not have any decent pictures, Kyuhyun?" Nichkhun chuckled at him.

"Molla." He shrugged.

"Oh! Vic and Minho!" Donghae exclaimed.

"Ayyyy!" They howled.

"When was that taken? And what for?" I asked, a little confused.

"Oh! Majda! That was when the both of you modeled for our school magazine!" Sulli reminded.

"Oh right!" Minho said.

"We look really weird." I said to Minho. My eyes glanced over at Kyuhyun but he was busily talking to Nichkhun.

"Finally! Someone has a weird picture aside from me!" Kyuhyun exclaimed.

"When was that?!" Minho asked.

"I think that was after our basketball game" Nichkhun said.

"You two look sweet!" I teased. I was about to say something more when the next picture showed up.

"Omo!" Everyone exclaimed. 

I immediately shut my mouth and silently looked at the photo. I noticed Kyuhyun did the same too. 

No one commented on how we look or when the photo was taken, we all were just quiet for the first time this evening.

After a few morephotos ofour batch the words "III" were flashed. It was now time for our 3rd year of College photos.

"Wah! Yeppuda!" Everyone exclaimed, even the ones from the other tables.

"Vic, Ssul and Amber didn't change at all, did they?" Taemin said.

"Amber only grew her hair really long." Donghae said, wrapping an arm around Amber's shoulders.

"You had just cut your hair back then." Heechul pointed to Sulli.

"Yeah, because you two broke up for a short period then. She was so heartbroken." Nichkhun teased.

"Yah!" Sulli exclaimed, making everyone laugh once again.

"Ige Mwoya!! (What is this!!)" Amber exclaimed, turning a bit red.

"Ayy! You were developing feeling for each other by our 3rd year, right?" Heechul teased.

"You look like a fish, Donghae!" Taemin said aloud.

"They look like they're siblings!" Kyuhyun added.

"Is that another couple?" Heechul asked.

Minho and Taemin both threw their napkins at Heechul.

"Yah!" They both exclaimed.

"Hey, atleast the picture isn't isanghae!" Kyuhyun said.

"Oh!" Sulli exclaimed beside me. 

My eyes darted to the pictures flashed in front. 

"Yah, when was that?" Taemin asked, eyeing the two of us.

"Oh! I think that was when we went to that classroom camping trip! Our professor assigned us to sit beside each other." Nichkhun explained. 

"You two look like you're having fun." Kyuhyun commented. I suddenly felt his eyes on me, but I was too araid to look at him to make sure.

"Oh! There you go! I was waiting for that the whole time!" Heechul exclaimed.

"I wasn't. I look strange!" Sulli said.

"You always look like that. What else is new?" Heechul teased, making everyone laugh.

Sulli gave him a glare but he just laughed it off.

"Yah! Why do we have another one?" Sulli said.

"Molla!" Heechul answered.

"It's embarassing!" Sulli said, flashing red.

"Wait....is that Donghae, or Amber?" Minho asked.

"It's me!" Amber said to Minho.

"Oh. You really look like Donghae." Minho replied.

"Yah, after all those years that we've been classmates, are just realizing that now?" Taemin exclaimed.

"I guess." Minho said, making everyone howl into laughter.

When the next picture was flashed, I almost choked on my drink.

"Oooooh! You two look so cute back then!" Sulli gushed. I jabbed her rib.

"Ow." She whispered.

"Lighten up, Qian!" Amber said to me. I took a deep breath then pushed a smile.

"What was that photo for? I couldn't remember." Kyuhyun said, non chalantly.

"I think that was for the couple segment at our school's love column in the magazine." Minho said.

Kyuhyun nodded absent mindedly.

"IV" was shown across the screen, signalling the appearance of our pictures taken during our 4th and last year in College.

"Ah! Mwoya!" Amber and Sulli both exclaimed beside me.

"Finally! An isanghae pictures of the girls!" Taemin cheered.

"What were we doing?!"Amber exclaimed.

"I think that was for the dance competition." Donghae answered.

"That looks so weird! Only Qian looks decent." Sulli said.

"Aniya." I denied, even though we were all laughing because Ssul and Amber really did look strange in the photo.

"Donghae! What are you doing in that photo!!" Kyuhyun exclaimed.

"Yah! That's me!" Amber complained. Everyone started laughing after they realized that it was indeed Amber.

"Mian, Amber. It's just that you and Donghae really look alike. But don't worry, you're prettier!" Kyuhyun said.

"Aish." Amber sneered at him as Donghae stuck out his tongue at Kyuhyun.

"What was the picture for?" Taemin asked.

"Yeah, Vic you look totallt y in that!" Minho said.

"I think that was for a photoshoot for the school's magazine too." I said.

"Oh! I remember that photo!" Taemin exclaimed. "It was for that charity fashion show our College did!"

"Jinja? I don't remember..." I trailed.

"Me too." Minho said.

"Aish. How can you two not remember? That was Taemin's height of success in facing his fears of crowds!" Nichkhun teased.

"Yah!' Taemin exclaimed.

"I remember how he almost peed his pants from nervousness!" Donghae added.

"Hajima!" Taemin complained.

"Aw! Poor Taemin!" Ssul teased.

"Yah you can't like Taemin again!" Heechul said to Sulli.

"Arasseo!" Sulli answered back as Donghae and Nichkhun teased Taemin again as everybody else laughed.

"Wah. Our other classmates! I didn't think I saw them tonight..." Taemin said.

"Eunhyuk is at the other table with Yesung. I heard that Siwon is in America and didn't come to the party." Heechul said.

A few more photos of our block section were shown.

"Oh! Who is that?" Taemin asked.

"From the looks of the protruding lips...." Sulli trailed, then looked over at me.

"Yah!" I slapped her lightly on the arm.

"Why are you dressed like that, Vic?" Donghae asked.

"I think that was when you surprised Kyuhyun for his birthday, right?" Minho said.

I sipped from my glass of water then nodded.

"Oh right. I remember, you looked like that when youcam eout of your hiding place." Kyuhyun said, smiling at me.

"Vic has a lot of pictures with Minho." Nichkhun pointed out.

"That's probably from the magazine as well." Amber said.

"How could you know?" Donghae asked.

"Ah! Majda! Qian and Minho were members of our school magazine as models, remember?" Sulli said.

"Oh right. I forgot." Taemin said.

"Yeah, you had a lot of controversial photos! Especially those lovey dovey ones!" Amber said.

"And someone was so jealous of them..." Heechul teased, eyeing Kyuhyun who suddenly coughed out his drink.

"Oh. I'm sure Heechul is not talking about you, Kyuhyun." Donghae teased, making everyone laugh.

I slightly smiled at Kyuhyun fixed himself.

"Those were taken after the sponsor photoshoot for our charity fashion show, right?" Sulli said.

"Yeah, you still had your hair short then." I replied.

"Ooh! There's another one." Amber whispered to me. I just merely nodded.

"Aaaand another one again." Sulli said this time.

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat as the monitor flashed another picture.

"Was that from our senior year field trip at Jeju Island?" Taemin asked Kyuhyun. 

I looked over at him to see him nod and smile at Taemin.

Everyone was now quiet and was just silently watching the slideshow, waiting for the next pictures to be shown.

"Wah! That's also from the dance competition!" Nichkhun said.

"We won that year, right?" Minho said.

"Ofcourse! I was such a good dancer!" Donghae bragged.

"Yah, last time I checked, it was Vic who got the award for being the best dancer!" Amber interjected.

Everyone was laughing again.

"Oh. That's from your senior year performance, right Kyu?" Minho asked.

"Yeah." Kyuhyun asnwered.

Everyone was trying to keep the noise going and not settle into awkward silence.

The pictures were slowly fading and the music was coming to an end, and everyone's eyes were darted on the huge monitor, waiting for the last photo to be shown. All the pictures were mostly from our section so it's obvious that the last photo would be of our group. It was probbaly graduation photos or outing pictures, but when the huge photo was flashed before our eyes, no one had suspected that it would be what was shown before us.

I could feel myself tear up and everyone's silence was defeaning.