Chapter 23

Ever After

QIAN'S POV

I discovered I was pregnant with Kai the day after we graduated. I was already suspecting this since I was already a few weeks delayed, but it still came at a great shock when I confirmed it at the doctor's clinic. I couldn't tell anyone, not even Kyuhyun, the father of my child. I was still so hurt and felt so betrayed because of the way we boke up, I couldn't even muster the strength to even look at him.

My mom was the very first to know. I was so scared to tell her at first but my mom was the most understanding of my situation. Her first words after hearing the news was "have you gotten a check up for the baby?" My mom was definitely my pillar during the times I was carrying Kai.

It was much more complicated with my dad. My dad adored me and my sister ever since I was a child, and he never scolded us about anything. He viewed us as his perfect daughters. Scared was not enough of a definition of what I felt when I told dad what my condition was. I was crying so hard as I tried to get the words out of my mouth. I'm pregnant, dad. 

It took all of one minute before my dad and mom both hugged me tight. I knew they felt sad and disappointed, their eldest daughter, unwed and pregnant. This was considered as a great shame in our society in China, but never did my parents let me feel that way even for a second. They were supportive all throughout my pregnancy as I decided to stay and give birth in China. 

I ran away from everything in Korea. I was supposed to go to Law School in Korea right after I graduate, along with my best friend Sulli, but that's impossible during my pregnancy. I didn't tell a single soul from Korea that I was with a child. I kept all my friends in the dark. I just couldn't bring myself to tell them. 

I gave birth on March 8, 2017. It was a baby boy. I personally did not try to find out the gender while I was pregnant, I wanted it to be some kind of surprise. The moment I laid eyes on him, I was already captivated and in love. I knew then that this boy will be the center of my life, and everything I do from now on will be for him and his future. I named him Song Kai. I made him take my last name because he is mine and mine alone. Kyuhyun may have had a part in making this sweet amazing boy, but that's about it. 

I picked myself up a few months after I gave birth and had gotten my rest. I decided to go back to Korea and pursue my life long dream - to be a lawyer. My dad was against it at first, but after I had Kai, I guess he realized that I needed to stand on my own two feet to support my child rather than rely on them. 

I worked so hard on my studies that I managed to graduate after just 3 years in law school, all the while I flew back to China everytime I had days off from school to see and take care of my son. It was hard and grueling but I managed to succeed. I was able to fulfill my dream of owning a successful law firm within 2 years. All these things I was able to accomplish because of Kai. He's the sole reason for everything that I am doing. 

"Mama" My train of thought was disrupted by Kai.

"Yes, honey?" I said as I hugged him tighter. We had been home for a few hours and I'm now spending time with my son in my room. 

"When are you leaving again?" He asked. It tug at my heart a little bit at how casual my son asked the question. He was probably so used to me leaving him in China that it didn't bother him anymore. 

"Kai, mama's going to tell you something okay? Will you listen to mama?" My son nodded.

"I'm going to take you with me to Korea, since the petition has already been granted by the Korean Embassy. You're going to be a Korean Citizen, honey!" I said excitedly. I saw a flash of happiness from Kai's eyes and then he looked sad. 

"Why what's wrong?" I asked.

"Mama, is granpda and grandma coming with us?" 

"Um..well, grandma and grandpa needs to stay here in China. But ofocurse, they will always visit us in Korea." I said.

"Oh okay." He murmured. "I'm going to miss the lake."

Our house is situated in the middle of a lake, my father inherited this house from his ancestors. We had 15 rooms and 15 bathrooms in this house, quite an unnecessary extravagance if I were completely honest. I remember me and Sunny would get lost when playing hide and seek, and we had to be found by one of our numerous servants. I used to have friends over back when I was still in highschool and we'd spend so much of our day just roaming around the house. 

I was born into a very comfortable family, you could almost say that everything is served to us on a silver platter. My father was into the real estate and development business. Recently, our company spearheaded the building of the biggest shopping center in China. People used to think that I was quite weird. After I voiced out that I wanted to study in Korea, most of my relatives and friends thought that I was out of my mind. Everyone saw me going to a business school in China and working for our company, and ultimately inheriting it since I am the Song family's eldest child, but I had different plans. I was lucky that my mom was so supportive and even though my dad didn't agree at first with my plans, he soon came around. 

"I know, love. I miss the lake all the time too. But you know, Mama and Auntie Sunny's house is near a river, and we also have a mini lake in our house." I said, trying to cheer him up.

"Really? A mini lake? With fishies?" He asked, eyes wide.

"Well, more like a pond but yes, with fishies my dear." I chuckled. 

"Can I swim there too?" 

"I don't think that's a good idea." I said.

"But Mama, Grandma lets me swim at the lake." He said.

"WHAT?!" I jolted up. My son looked at me with a surprised expression on his face. 

"Oops. Nothing Mama." He said then got up from my lap and ran outside my room. 

I stood up and followed him out. 

"Moooooooom!" I called out. There was no answer.

"Mr. Li, where's my mom?" I asked our Butler.

"Madame Song is at the East Wing Living Room along with Master and Ms. Sunny. Young Master Kai also went his way there."

"Okay thank you." I quickly made my way to where the rest of my family was.

As I enetered the East Wing living room, my family was having tea while chatting. Kai was hiding behind my mother.

"Mom! You let Kai swim in the lake??" I exclaimed.

My mom looked at me surprised, then she looked at Kai. "tsk tsk"

"Sorry, Gammy." Kai smiled sheepishly then kissed my mom on her cheek.

"You sly litte boy." Sunny laughed.

"Mom. Do you know how dangerous that is?" I said as I sat down beside Sunny.

"Kai is a child. It's okay to have fun and experience adventure." My dad started.

"That's right." Followed by my Mom. "And we're always standing close when he's swimming and he also wears a floating device." 

"But Mom, there's tons of bacteria and germs in that lake. We don't even actually know what kind of sea creatures are there." I argued.

"You're a doctor now too, sis?" Sunny laughed.

"It's not funny. I'm being serious." I eyed her. 

"Don't talk as if you didn't eat dirt when you're a kid." My dad said, trying to hold back his laughter.

"Mommy ate dirt???" Kai asked, wide eyed.

My mom, dad and sister started laughing. I can also see at the corner of my eye Mr. Lin's shoulders were slightly shaking.

"You guys are impossible." I said, giving up the argument and sitting down on the couch.

"So? How are you?" My dad asked.

"I'm fine. I'm a little slumped with work that's all." I answered.

"You're such a workaholic, my dear." Mom said.

"I have to make sure that everything is running smoothly at the firm." I said.

"I know, Honey but it's okay to rest once in a while." 

"Hey dad. How's business going?" I asked, changing the subject.

"It's great. We just closed a contract for another mall in Beijing." He said.

"That's great. Take a rest once in a while too." I chuckled, mimicking my mom's advice.

"Anyway, are none of my daughters getting married yet? Your Auntie Fang's daughter will get married next year."

Sunny and I took a cup of tea each and feigned ignorance. 

"Yah!" My mom slapped our knees playfully.

"Ouch mom!" We both yelped.

"I'm serious here. You both are not getting any younger. Qian, you're almost 30!" 

"Aish Mama. Don't worry, atleast I have Kai." I said.

"You still need a husband. I have a lot of friends with single sons. Do you want me to set you a meeting with them while you are here?" She asked.

I looked over at my Dad, asking for help but I was utterly ignored. 

"Mama." I groaned.

"I saw photos of you on facebook when you went to Okinawa. I saw Kyuhyun in the photos." Mom said casually. She's obviously not trying to make a big deal out of it. My dad on the other hand almost choked on his tea.

"What?!" My dad exclaimed. He looked over at me. 

"Uh..yeah. My friends and I went on a vacation." I said, nonchalantly. 

"And...?" My dad pressed on.

"Dad. This is weird." I said, trying to brush off the topic. 

"Why is it weird? Are you getting back together with that boy?" My mom said. I just sat there quietly.

Sunny on the other hand, not being able to read the atmosphere decided to in.

"They're back together. I saw Qian Jie Jie (A/N: Chinese equivalent of Unnie)  together with Kyuhyun Gege. He dropped her off after work a few days ago." (A/N: I searched what the chinese equivalent of Oppa in a non romantic way and its "Gege" according to Google.)

"Sun!" I exclaimed.

"What? Is it a secret?" She said, as calm as ever. As if she didn't just drop a huge information bomb in front of our parents. 

"Ugh. You're so dense sometimes." I groaned.

"You seemed hesitant in telling us this piece of news." My mom said, eyeing me warily.

I sighed. "I just didn't want you guys to get mad, that's all."

My dad took my hand in his. "Dear, we're not mad. We understand that you may still love Kyuhyun. We saw how you were these past few years. You never say anything but I do know that the reason you avoid all the blind dates your mother set up for you is because of him." 

I felt my eyes water but I quickly blinked them away.

"Mom, who's Kyuhyun?" My thoughts came back to the awareness that my son was actually in the room, hearing all of us. 

"Mr. Li, take Kai to his playroom please." I said. My son was about to protest when our butler soothed him. 

"Young Master Kai, I shall make you your favorite hot cocoa" Mr. Li, our butler took my son in his arms and quickly ushered him away. 

"Does Kyuhyun know about Kai?" My mom said. I shook my head.

"What reason did you say when you told him that you're staying in China for a while?" My dad asked.

"I just told him what I tell everyone. That I'm visiting you guys." I said.

"When are you going to tell him about Kai?" My dad pressed on.

"Uhmm. I haven't really thought of that." I said. 

"Qian..." My mom trailed on. 

"I know what you're going to say Mom, but I'm scared." I admitted. "When we were in College, Kyuhyun hates the thought of having kids. He said they're a nuisance. Aside from the fact that we broke up, that was also one of the reasons why I never did try to tell him." 

"He's probably changed now." Sunny said, shrugging her shoulders. "It's been years, Unnie."

"I don't know. Kyuhyun doesn't seem like the father type anyways. And Kai, i don't know how he'll react if I ever introduce them to each other." I sighed.

"We know we can't decide for you because this is your life and this is about your child, but we want you to do what you think is right for the you and Kai, and as long as that decision makes the both of you happy." My mom said, engulfing me into a hug as my dad held my hand tightly.

"Thanks, Mom & Dad." I smiled at them.

"Wow we just got home and we're already doing family dramas and group hugs?" Sunny said, then joining our little group hug. We all laughed.

"On a lighter note, Sunny here is getting serious with Henry." I chuckled.

"Unnie!" She exclaimed. 

"What?" I feigned ignorance. "Is it supposed to be a secret?" I smirked. 

"Henry? The guy were talking about a few months ago?" My mom inquired. Sunny nodded.

"Sun, are you two being safe?" My mom said head-on with a straight face.

"MOM!" Sunny exclaimed in horror.

I was already doubling over with laughter. My dad just quietly stood up and left us girls to our conversation. It was probably too weird for him to casually talk about his daughters love lives.

"What? I'm stating facts here." My mom said. "And you, Qian quit laughing. You should be careful too if you're back together with Kyuhyun. He seemed to be very fertile."  My mom winked after saying the last line, then she looked over as my dad hurriedly walked out of the room.

She was actually reinforcing a lie I told when I first told my parents that I was pregnant. I was so ashamed to admit that I was engaging in pre-marital , so I told them that I got pregnant from doing it just one time. My mom never bought it.

"Oh my god, Mom!" I exclaimed in shock.

"Oh great! Your dad finally left the room." She said excitedly. "But I'm serious you better be careful and always use your contracep----"

"MOM!" Sunny and I both shrieked. 

My mom just laughed uncontrollably. Probably amused at the uncomfortable situation she has caused.