Chapter Eight: Betrayal

An Angel's Duty

When Sungmin returned with the water crest, he found Kyuhyun was asleep. He decided to wait until Kyuhyun woke up before giving him the water crest to heal.

 

While he waited, he talked to Donghae and Hyukjae in the kitchen. “So what happened while I was gone?” he asked curiously.

 

“Nothing much. Kangin and Leeteuk tried to kill your knight. But we got there just in time to stop them.” Hyukjae said with a shrug.

 

“Is that how Kyuhyun got that gash on his chest?” Sungmin asked with concern. If a powerful knight like Leeteuk had attacked Kyuhyun, it was no wonder that he was too weak to heal.

 

“Umm… No, that’s not it Min.” Donghae said quietly as he looked at Hyukjae.

 

Hyukjae was a bit nervous as he revealed, “I was the one who did that Min. I sort of lost my temper with him.”

 

“That’s no reason to hurt him Hyukjae!” Sungmin yelled as he slammed his hands on the table.

 

“Please Min. Hyukkie had no choice…” Donghae pleaded. “If he hadn’t hurt him, Kyuhyun would have killed me. He was being controlled by Heechul like when he attacked you.”

 

Sungmin slowly absorbed those words and began to calm down. He understood why Hyukjae had hurt Kyuhyun now and he couldn’t blame him for doing it. Hyukjae was only protecting his love after all…

 

“Sorry for jumping to conclusions.” Sungmin said as he looked at Donghae and Hyukjae.

 

“It’s okay Min.” Donghae said with a sincere smile.

 

Sungmin then got up and headed to the bedroom. He sensed that Kyuhyun was waking up and he wanted to be there for him.

 

“Min, you’re back already.” Kyuhyun said with a smile. He was still pale and looked as weak as before.

 

Sungmin put his finger on Kyuhyun’s lips and said, “Sssh, save your energy.”

 

Kyuhyun just nodded and obediently obeyed Sungmin. He then noticed the tear shaped gem in Sungmin’s hand and was entranced by it. It was like the water crest was calling out to him. He slowly reached out his hand to grab it from Sungmin’s hand.

 

Sungmin saw Kyuhyun staring at the crest and gave him a sweet smile. “Here Kyu.” he said as he placed it in his hand.

 

Kyuhyun held the gem in his hand carefully and continued to stare at it. Suddenly, he gasped and dropped the gem on the floor.

 

“That crest is tainted…” he mumbled.

 

“What are you talking about Kyu? It’s perfectly fine!” Sungmin said as he picked it up and held it towards Kyuhyun again.

 

“I don’t want it.” Kyuhyun said as he turned away from Sungmin.

 

Sungmin stared at the gem in his hand, wondering why Kyuhyun was refusing it. He couldn’t sense anything wrong with it and he definitely didn’t sense it as being tainted.

 

Suddenly, Heechul appeared in the room. He quickly snatched the crest out of Sungmin’s hand and placed it against Kyuhyun’s heart. He growled, “You are too damn observant Kyuhyun. You leave me no choice.”

 

The crest then sunk into Kyuhyun’s chest and began to merge with him. Kyuhyun screamed as it happened because it felt like his head was being split open.

 

Sungmin tried to stop Heechul but was flown against the wall by the dark angel. He slowly began to get up and stumbled towards them again.

 

As soon as Donghae and Hyukjae heard Kyuhyun’s scream, they ran up toward the bedroom. They rushed in the door with their fire swords drawn, ready to fight the dark presence they sensed.

 

The sight that they ran into shocked them. Kyuhyun now had a dark aura around him and he was glaring at Sungmin. His wounds were now gone and he seemed to be more powerful than ever.

 

As soon as Kyuhyun saw Donghae and Hyukjae, he sent water darts at them. He had a look of hatred on his face.

 

Hyukjae quickly set up a wall of fire to protect them but it was useless against Kyuhyun’s water attack. He then jumped in front of Donghae and screamed out in pain as the darts stabbed him in the back.

 

Heechul smirked as he saw Hyukjae fall to the ground. He clapped as he said, “Great job Kyu! You took out the fire knight!”

 

Sungmin glared at Heechul and began to use an ability that caused dark angels pain.

 

However, as soon as he started, he was forced to stop. Kyuhyun had appeared next to Sungmin and had his hand around his throat. “Don’t you dare attack my angel…” he growled threateningly as he began to lift Sungmin by the neck.

 

Sungmin looked at Kyuhyun sadly and tears began to fall.

 

As soon as Sungmin’s tears hit his hand, Kyuhyun let him go and held his head in pain. “Min…” he mumbled faintly as images of the light angel flashed in his mind.

 

Heechul noticed this and went up to Kyuhyun. He hugged him and said, “Kyu, you should rest for now…” He then used an ability to put Kyuhyun to sleep and Kyuhyun fell limp in his arms.

 

“Heechul…” Sungmin choked out as he glared up at Heechul, “Let him go…”

 

Heechul just smirked at Sungmin and said, “No can do. Sorry Sungmin. The water knight is mine!” He then laughed as he disappeared with Kyuhyun.


Sungmin fell to his knees as he stared at the ground with his tears staining the floor beneath him. He couldn’t believe that he had lost Kyuhyun so soon. He could no longer sense the water knight like he could before. He knew that meant Kyuhyun was now bonding with Heechul instead.

 

Meanwhile, Donghae was trying to desperately heal Hyukjae’s wounds. He had stopped the bleeding since they were fully bonded and Hyukjae had the fire crest in him. However, Hyukjae would still take a while more to heal because he was attacked by the one element that trumped his.

 

They both looked at each other and wondered what happened to cause Kyuhyun to turn against them so suddenly. However, they didn’t dare to ask Sungmin now while he was so emotionally unstable. They would have to wait to ask him later that night…

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Well, there we go! I hope you enjoyed this plot twist and I can't wait to write the next chapter! n___n