Chapter Five: Awakening

An Angel's Duty

“So Kyuhyun, I heard from Sungmin that you live in a pretty nice home.” Donghae said as he gave Kyuhyun a smile. “Do you mind if we stay with you? After all, you’ll need protection now as you just saw.”

 

Kyuhyun gave Donghae a weird stare. “How did you know that? Sungmin…didn’t get a chance to talk to anyone…before he disappeared…” he mumbled.

 

“Oh, Sungmin and I can communicate telepathically! We are best friends, you know.” Donghae said enthusiastically.

 

“Why do you still talk about Sungmin in the present tense? He’s…gone, you know…” Kyuhyun said in a sad tone and you could literally see the sadness in his eyes.

 

“Oh, Min? He isn’t gone! Sure, he might not physically be here right now. But he’s not gone forever Kyuhyun.” Donghae said sincerely, patting Kyuhyun on the back comfortingly. “Hyukjae can explain it to you better than I can. After all, he isn’t bound by the same rules that I am.”

 

After seeing the sadness in Kyuhyun’s eyes, Hyukjae’s cold exterior melted a bit. He could see a bit of himself in Kyuhyun: Kyuhyun sincerely cared for Sungmin just like he sincerely cared for Donghae.

 

Hyukjae sighed as he said, “Sungmin’s heart is deep asleep within your heart. Once you awaken as his knight, you’ll have the power to bring him back.”

 

Kyuhyun looked at Hyukjae and realized that his first impression of Hyukjae was quite wrong. Sure, Hyukjae was quite arrogant but he had a heart. He knew he could rely upon him for help. He quietly asked, “Hyukjae. Min told me to find you. Now, I understand why. You’ve awakened as a knight. How did you do it?”

 

“It…isn’t something that I can really explain. It just sort of happens. The first step to awakening though is finding out your element.” Hyukjae stated with a shrug.

 

“How do we find that out?” Kyuhyun asked curiously. He wondered what his element would be and in all honesty, he was quite excited at the thought of being able to wield an element of his own. It reminded him of the video games that he loved so much!

 

“Could we possibly discuss this tomorrow?” Donghae interrupted. “Kyuhyun, you are in no state to be attempting to awaken today. You look absolutely exhausted.”

 

Kyuhyun just nodded and sighed. His body really felt drained and tired. He wished he wasn’t so fragile and weak. He turned around and said, “Come on, let’s go to my house.”

 

Donghae and Hyukjae held hands as they followed Kyuhyun to his home. They kept a close eye on Kyuhyun and their surroundings. As long as they were around, they wouldn’t let anything happen to Kyuhyun. He held Sungmin’s heart and if Kyuhyun died, so would Sungmin. They wouldn’t allow that to happen to their best friend or the knight that Sungmin cared about so much…

 

 

Kyuhyun sighed and put his hands behind his head as he walked home. He now had a light angel and a fire knight who would be living under his roof with him. And to make matters worse, they seemed to be very close. Kyuhyun absolutely hated to be the odd one out.

 

As soon as they reached Kyuhyun’s home, Donghae and Hyukjae stared in awe. Sungmin had been right. Kyuhyun did live in an extravagant home. It actually made them a bit jealous that Sungmin would be living the life of luxury with his knight…

 

Kyuhyun motioned for the pair to follow him. He led them to a guest room, though not the same one that Sungmin had slept in. Kyuhyun refused to go anywhere near that room after what had happened there…

 

Kyuhyun looked at them both and asked, “So… Are you two okay with sharing this room?”

 

Donghae and Hyukjae both nodded. They wouldn’t have it any other way. Once an angel and a knight fully bonded, it was nearly impossible to separate them. They were no exception to this.

 

Kyuhyun then nodded and said, “Well, if you need anything, feel free to explore the house. There’s a kitchen downstairs if you get hungry and the bathroom is at the end of the hall.”

 

He then turned around and began walking to his own room.

 

Donghae smiled sincerely at Kyuhyun and said, “Thank you Kyuhyun for your generosity.”

 

Kyuhyun didn’t turn around at those words. Instead, he lifted up one of his hands and said, “Yeah yeah. You sound just like Min. I’ll tell you the same thing I told him: I don’t owe you a thing anymore. This is my way of repaying you.”

 

When Kyuhyun got to his bedroom, he began to gather a set of clean clothes. He then headed to his bathroom to take a warm shower. He hoped that it would help to relieve some of the exhaustion he currently felt.

 

Once he got out of the bathroom, Kyuhyun sat on his bed and sighed in relief. He felt a bit better at least. The warm water had helped his muscles relax and the calming sound of water hitting the tile had allowed his mind to wander. He then grabbed his towel and began to dry his hair with it.

 

Suddenly, he felt an all too familiar pain in his head returning. “Damn it…” Kyuhyun mumbled as he tossed the towel aside and held his head in pain. This couldn’t be happening again! He thought that he was free from Heechul’s hold...

 

Kyuhyun struggled as he felt the dark presence in his mind grow stronger. He felt his body moving against his will again and cursed in his mind. He watched helplessly as he approached the kitchen, where Donghae was cooking their next meal.

 

He began to panic when he noticed that Hyukjae wasn’t around. He knew that if Hyukjae had been here, Donghae would have been safe. But now that the fire knight was missing, Kyuhyun knew that Donghae was in trouble…

 

“Oh, Kyuhyun! Are you hungry already?” Donghae said cheerfully as he turned around. He then gasped as he dropped the spoon he was holding in his hand. He suddenly was frozen and couldn’t move a muscle. When he saw Kyuhyun’s blurred eyes, he understood why. He knew he was going to meet the same fate as Sungmin…

 

Kyuhyun was trying his best to stop himself from moving any further but he couldn’t stop himself. He just didn’t have the strength… He still was weak from his encounter with Kangin and Leeteuk earlier.

 

He began to scream in his mind to stop as he felt himself pick up a knife from the counter. ‘End him for good Kyuhyun.’ the familiar voice of Heechul commanded in his mind.

 

Kyuhyun forced himself to shake his head in defiance. However, he didn’t have the strength to stop himself as he began to lift the knife up.

 

Suddenly, a fireball appeared out of nowhere and hit Kyuhyun’s hand. Kyuhyun cried out in pain and dropped the knife.

Hyukjae walked into the kitchen and glared at Kyuhyun. His temper was out of control because Kyuhyun had almost killed his precious Donghae. That was unforgivable, no matter what the reason. He summoned his fire sword in his hand and slashed Kyuhyun across the chest out of pure rage.

 

Kyuhyun fell to his knees in pain as his blood began to splatter on the floor. Hyukjae lifted his sword to attack again, ready to deliver a deathblow this time.

 

However, Hyukjae suddenly felt someone grab his hand in order to stop the attack.

 

“Hyukkie, please stop…” Donghae said in a quiet and pleading voice.

 

“Don’t stop me Hae! This worthless knight almost killed you! I should end him now!” Hyukjae yelled, not even looking at Donghae. He knew if he looked at him, his resolve would break.

 

“But Hyukkie… If you kill him, you will kill Min too… Besides, it looks like he’s finally awakening.” Donghae said quietly as he carefully watched Kyuhyun.

 

Hyukjae sighed at Donghae’s words and took a closer look at Kyuhyun as his temper began to cool down.

 

Kyuhyun’s burnt hand and bleeding chest were covered in a thin layer of water. He looked up Donghae and Hyukjae with sincere eyes as he whispered, “I’m so sorry…”

 

Donghae nodded and gave Kyuhyun a sincere smile. He was a very understanding person just like Sungmin.

 

On the other hand, Hyukjae gave Kyuhyun the cold shoulder and turned away from him. He couldn’t forgive him for nearly killing his beloved Hae.

 

Kyuhyun then felt his consciousness slip away as he out. He had lost quite a bit of blood so he was physically drained. He was also mentally drained after finally awakening and fighting off Heechul’s influence. It was obvious to anyone who looked at him that he would need time to heal…

 

Donghae watched Kyuhyun pass out and quickly caught him to break his fall. He then lifted him up and began to carry him to his bedroom. Hyukjae followed him while looking around warily. He was worried that Heechul would appear and he wouldn’t allow him to hurt his Hae.

 

“Well, now we know why Heechul was so desperate to bond with Kyuhyun. He’s the water knight we’ve been waiting for…” Donghae said as he laid Kyuhyun on his bed gently. He looked at the knight in awe and thought to himself, ‘Wow Min, you really are lucky to have the legendary water knight by your side…’

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Well, there we go! Kyuhyun has finally awoken! I honestly can't wait to see where this story takes me next chapter. I'm letting it develop at it's own pace and well, it really has a mind of it's own. :o