Chapter Seventeen: Change of Heart

An Angel's Duty

Sungmin continued to stare at Kyuhyun with wide eyes for a few moments. As he got lost in Kyuhyun’s eyes, he realized that he truly did love Kyuhyun. After all this time, he had fallen for someone who was supposed to be a meaningless pawn to him.

 

“Kyu…” Sungmin whispered as he raised his hand to Kyuhyun’s cheek lovingly.

 

“I love you Minnie…” Kyuhyun whispered before capturing Sungmin’s lips in another kiss.

 

As they shared the kiss, Sungmin vowed in his mind that he wouldn’t let anyone hurt his Kyuhyun. He wouldn’t go along with Shindong’s plan, even if it went against his very nature. He loved Kyuhyun far too much.

 

After their kiss, Kyuhyun was eager to share another one but Sungmin slowly pushed him away and said quietly, “Kyu… I have something I need to tell you.”

 

“What is it Min?” Kyuhyun asked curiously.

 

Sungmin began to say, “I’m not really…”

 

As soon as Sungmin began to say those words, he began to feel an intense pain grow in his mind. He no longer had control of his actions as his eyes became blurred. He screamed in his mind as he began to attack Kyuhyun relentlessly.

 

He then blanked out and couldn’t remember what he did next.

 

~~~~~~

 

When Sungmin finally came to, he found himself in the middle of the forest. He tried to stand up but he found he was chained to a rock. He tried to use one of his abilities to break free but he found that it was futile. None of his abilities were working.

 

“You left me no choice Sungmin.” a familiar voice growled from the darkness.

 

“Shindong…” Sungmin growled back.

 

“I knew something was wrong with you when you didn’t remember your mission. You’ve grown soft Sungmin. How could you turn against your own kind?!?” Shindong snarled as he slapped Sungmin across the face.

 

Sungmin glared at him and said, “I honestly forgot about everything after taking on the disguise of a light angel! Can you blame me for falling in love?!?”

 

“Love…” Shindong scoffed, “There should be only one person you love: our Queen Nari! She was the one who gave you life! And how do you repay her? By falling in love with the enemy!”

Shindong then slapped Sungmin again as he said smugly, “Well, at least you’ll prove yourself useful in the end. You will play your role in bringing our queen back by joining your pathetic knight in the sacrifice.”

 

“Don’t you touch him!” Sungmin snarled as he struggled against the chains that held him back.

 

“Oh, I didn’t touch him at all Sungmin. You were the one that did.” Shindong said with a smirk.

 

Sungmin then gasped as the clouds finally moved, allowing the moonlight to shine down. The moonlight revealed the sacrifices: all the light angels, dark angels and knights were unconscious and wounded. They were all bound just like Sungmin was.

 

“No, no, no!!!! I…didn’t do all of this!” Sungmin shrieked as his eyes spotted a wounded Kyuhyun.

 

“That’s true, maybe you didn’t. After all, I brought the dark angels and their knights here. It wasn’t much of a challenge since Heechul basically signed their souls over to me.” Shindong said proudly, “However, it was you that caused all the damage to the light angels and their knights. All I had to do was unleash your true inner nature and you brought them to me without hesitation.”

 

Sungmin let his tears fall and began to despair as he recalled the memories of attacking his friends. He could recall Donghae screaming as he attacked him. He could recall Hyukjae’s rage. He could recall all the screams of the Yesung and Ryeowook as he caused them pain. But most of all, he could recall Kyuhyun’s pleas to stop as he relentlessly attacked him. At that memory, Sungmin’s heart shattered and he sat there lost in thought. How could he ever make up for what he did to Kyuhyun?

 

Shindong smirked proudly as he saw Sungmin break down. He knew he had succeeded in breaking the final loose end that could interfere with his plans. Now that Sungmin was broken, no one stood in his way.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Well, there we have it! Sungmin finally admitted that he really is in love with Kyuhyun. I'm sorry that I had to be so cruel to them afterwards! But this was the only way for me to continue the last bit of the plot that I have planned.

 

Thank you for all the comments and for subscribing! It means a lot to me because I had absolutely no confidence in my writing before this. There's a long story behind it but basically, my creative writing professor told me that I have no talent in writing a couple years ago. So it took a lot of encouragement from a good friend for me to finally start writing again and even more encouragement for me to actually post it. I'm so glad that I did now and I have absolutely no regrets. Even if just one person appreciates this story, I'm a happy author. :)

 

Anyways, two more chapters and an epilogue left before this story is over. I hope you look forward to it!