Chapter Eleven: Bonding

An Angel's Duty

After a few short seconds, Sungmin let go of Ryeowook and gave him a sincere smile.

 

“Thank you Ryeowook. If you hadn’t awakened, I don’t know what would have happened.” Sungmin said.

 

Ryeowook shook his head and murmured, “It was nothing… It was the least I could do since you saved me first.”

 

“I’m just glad that I got here in time.” Sungmin said with a sad smile as he turned around, looking in the direction that Kyuhyun had disappeared in.

 

Donghae then approached Ryeowook with a smile and said, “I’m Donghae, a light angel, by the way. This is Hyukjae, my fire knight. And the one who saved you is Sungmin, another light angel.”

 

Ryeowook looked at Donghae with a curious look in his eyes as he said enthusiastically, “Really? You guys are angels?!? Can I see your wings?”

 

Sungmin turned around at those words and laughed a bit. Donghae smiled as well. They both let their wings appear at that moment since no one else was around.

 

Ryeowook couldn’t believe his eyes when he saw their wings. He never would have thought things like this existed a few hours ago. But here he was, surrounded by angels and somehow, he could control the wind.

 

A few moments later, Sungmin and Donghae made their wings disappear before they drew unnecessary attention.

 

“Well, Ryeowook, would you like to come with us? I mean, it isn’t safe for you to be alone anymore. Who knows when those dark angels will come back to attack you again.” Donghae asked.

 

Ryeowook just nodded, knowing that they were right. He didn’t want to put any of his family in jeopardy.

 

The group then turned around and walked home to where they lived. They didn’t dare to return to Kyuhyun’s house because Donghae knew it hurt Sungmin to be so close yet so far from his knight.

 

As soon as they reached Donghae’s small home, they began to cook dinner and relax.

 

Ryeowook had been lost in thought and after some thought, he finally asked, “So Donghae, you said that Hyukjae is your fire knight, right? Does that mean that I will eventually have my own angel?”

 

Donghae turned to Ryeowook and nodded. “Yes, you’ll have your own angel someday Ryeowook.”

 

Hyukjae then explained further since Donghae couldn’t really reveal much more.  He said, “I think the dark angels were trying to get you to awaken so they could have you begin to bond with a dark angel later down the road.”

 

Ryeowook then said, “I wouldn’t ever bond with a dark angel. Not after they attacked me. I’d rather be with another light angel. Sungmin doesn’t have a knight, right?”

 

Sungmin then choked a bit and his cheeks began to turn pink as he looked at the ground.

 

“Sorry Ryeowook. Sungmin’s heart is already taken.” Donghae said as he patted his best friend on the back.

 

“Really? By who?” Ryeowook asked curiously.

 

“He is already attached to Kyuhyun, the water knight that almost attacked you.” Hyukjae said bluntly.

 

“But…isn’t he already with that dark angel?” Ryeowook asked, completely confused by the situation.

 

“It’s a long story but Kyuhyun was bonding with Sungmin. Before they could finish the process, Kyuhyun was stolen away by Heechul.” Hyukjae said as he narrowed his eyes at the mere thought of Kyuhyun.

 

“Oh… I see.” Ryeowook mumbled.

 

“But that doesn’t mean there isn’t a light angel out there for you Ryeowook!” Donghae said, “We actually have a light angel out there searching for a knight. I have to warn you though. He is a bit…odd…”

 

“Odd is a nice way of putting it.” Hyukjae said as he began to laugh a bit.

 

“Sheesh, I finally return home and I catch you talking about how weird I am?” a familiar voice said as it walked into the room.

 

“Yesung!” they all said in surprise as they saw the new male enter the room.

 

Everyone then turned to look at Ryeowook in surprise, not knowing how he knew Yesung.

 

“Yesung used to be my boyfriend before he disappeared a few weeks ago…” Ryeowook said with a blush darkening his cheeks.

 

Yesung turned to Ryeowook and said apologetically, “I’m sorry for disappearing on you Wookie… When the dark angels began to follow me, I knew I was only putting you in danger. So I left to protect you…”

 

Ryeowook looked away from Yesung with a pout. He couldn’t believe his boyfriend had left him for such a stupid reason. “Well, so much for that plan. I was attacked anyway.” he said bitterly.

 

Yesung looked at Ryeowook sadly and hugged him from behind. “I’m sorry Ryeowook.” he whispered as sincerely as he could muster.

 

Ryeowook felt his resolve breaking in the arms of the one he used to adore so much. He still refused to turn towards him though, still very much upset that his beloved would leave him so easily.

 

Yesung then grabbed Ryeowook by the shoulders and forced him to turn around. They looked each other in the eyes and Yesung began to pet Ryeowook’s cheek. Yesung then whispered lovingly, “Your aura is still just as pure as before, even after awakening…”

 

Ryeowook did not understand what Yesung was talking about but he blushed under his touch.

 

Yesung then pressed his lips against Ryeowook’s hesitantly.

 

Ryeowook’s blush only darkened further at the contact but before he knew it, he closed his eyes and began to return the kiss passionately.

 

As soon as Yesung felt Ryeowook return his kiss, he eagerly continued the passionate kiss for as long as he could.

 

As they pulled away from each other for air, Ryeowook whispered lovingly, “Yeye…”

 

Yesung smiled back at Ryeowook and said, “I’m so sorry again Wookie…”

 

Ryeowook shook his head and hugged Yesung tightly. “It’s okay.” he murmured.

 

They were then both surrounded by a faint green aura that signaled they were now a knight-angel pair.

 

Donghae and Hyukjae watched the entire scene before them unfold with smiles on their faces. They then scooted their chairs closer together. Donghae then leaned against Hyukjae while they both reminisced on their first kiss and bonding together for eternity. They couldn’t remember a happier moment in their lives.

 

Sungmin just watched with sad eyes. His heart ached as he wished he could have reached that point with Kyuhyun. He’d be lying if he said he didn’t already have feelings for the water knight. It broke his heart to think that Kyuhyun could bond with Heechul instead…

 

Suddenly, Sungmin couldn’t take it anymore and ran out the door. Tears fell as ran away, thinking negative thoughts about Kyuhyun devoting himself to Heechul forever.

 

The other light angels and knights suddenly jumped up and started to chase after Sungmin. However, he was too fast and was already long gone.

 

Donghae worried that something bad would happen to his best friend. He didn’t have a good feeling about this. Sungmin being alone meant that he would be defenseless against an attack by the dark angels…

 

After running for what felt like an eternity, Sungmin slowed down and found himself on the outskirts of town. He began to walk into the dark forest on the edge of town. He continued to walk until he finally couldn’t go any further. He collapsed under a tree and just sat there, a heartbroken look in his eyes.

 

Heechul, Kangin and Leeteuk then walked out of the shadows with smirks on their faces.

 

“What are you doing out here all alone Sungmin?” Heechul said tauntingly with a malicious glint in his eyes.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Cliffhanger ending! I hope this chapter was enjoyable and I hope you stick around to find out what happens next.