Chapter One: The Meeting

An Angel's Duty

The night started out like any other night for Kyuhyun. He had just started on his long walk home after eating at his favorite restaurant on the other side of town. There was a cool breeze blowing the leaves on the street and it was so quiet that you might think it was a ghost town. These days, very few souls dared to venture out at night with the rumors about a mysterious stalker spreading like wildfire...

 

Kyuhyun, however, could care less about rumors. His friends had told him that he could catch a ride with them after dinner but he insisted on walking home. It was something he enjoyed doing. Walking outside on cool nights helped him clear his mind and relax after long, stressful days at school. Nobody, not even a mysterious stalker, would stop him from doing what he enjoyed most.

 

‘Besides,’ Kyuhyun thought to himself as images of the stalker started to appear in his mind, ‘this stalker is known to target girls so I should be last on his list. Why would he come after someone like me?’

 

To get his mind off the stalker, Kyuhyun took out his MP3 player and began to listen to his favorite songs. He continued to walk home at a brisk pace as his mind began to wander, totally engrossed by the music. He was so relaxed that he didn’t even notice the sound of footsteps following him.

 

Suddenly, Kyuhyun felt someone roughly grab his shoulder and his eyes jolted wide open. He was frightened by the sudden contact and images of the stalker arose in his mind again. Maybe his friends were right after all… He should have caught a ride home with them…

 

He quickly spun around to get a look at whoever was touching him. As soon as he saw the face of his attacker, he sighed in relief. It was just his friend Heechul who had been following him.

 

“Sheesh Heechul, give me a break. Did you really need to scare me like that?!?” Kyuhyun said exasperatedly as he lightly hit Heechul on the shoulder.

 

Instead of laughing like he usually would, Heechul grabbed Kyuhyun’s wrist and snarled, “Don’t you ever lay a hand on me again Kyuhyun.”

 

Kyuhyun stared at his friend in shock. He couldn’t believe what his ears had just heard. After getting a close look at Heechul’s face, he finally noticed the malicious glint that was shining in his eyes. He never saw anything remotely close to the hateful expression his friend was giving him. Kyuhyun always hated to admit that he was scared but at this moment, he truly was frightened and nervous about what was going to happen.

 

“You are such an idiot, you know that? I’ve waited so patiently for you and you still haven’t awakened!” Heechul growled in frustration. “Now, time is running out… I don’t have any other options.”

 

“What are you talking about Heechul?!?” Kyuhyun demanded. He had absolutely no idea what his friend was talking about… What did he mean by awaken? What was this time limit? What was Heechul going to do to him now?

 

Suddenly, Heechul began to forcibly pull his friend by the wrist while Kyuhyun struggled to get away. However, Kyuhyun’s attempts were in vain and futile because Heechul had always been stronger than him.

 

After a few minutes, Heechul managed to drag Kyuhyun into a dark alley. He slammed Kyuhyun against the wall with all his might.

 

As soon as Kyuhyun’s head hit the wall, he began to see stars and fell to the ground in a heap. Slowly, the stars disappeared from his vision and Kyuhyun was no longer afraid. Instead, his fear was replaced by anger; anger directed at Heechul for causing him pain for no apparent reason. He glared up at Heechul with a defiant look in his eyes.

“What the hell was that for?!?” Kyuhyun shouted furiously as he got up on his feet. He roughly grabbed Heechul by his shirt collar and pinned him against the wall. “You’d better start answering me Heechul!!!”

 

Heechul just smirked at Kyuhyun and said smugly, “That’s it Kyuhyun. Let out your anger. Let it control you…”

 

Heechul then lifted a finger and suddenly, Kyuhyun was overtaken by intense pain. Kyuhyun let go of Heechul and fell to his knees, clutching his head in pain. He groaned uncontrollably. The pain was nearly too much to bear. It felt like his head was going to explode and he was nearly on the brink of passing out.

 

After torturous minutes that felt like hours to Kyuhyun, the pain slowly stopped. Kyuhyun weakly looked up and his eyes widened as he took in the sight before him. Heechul was no longer the human that Kyuhyun knew. Instead, Kyuhyun could visibly see a pair of dark black angel wings on his friend’s back and he seemed to be radiating a dark aura. Kyuhyun noticed that Heechul was seemingly weakened because he was now panting and holding his side in pain.

 

To make things even stranger, there was a new figure that now stood between them. Kyuhyun had never seen this shorter male before but he couldn’t stop staring at him. This male had a pair of pure white angel wings and radiated a bright aura. Somehow, Kyuhyun couldn’t help but feel at ease even though he knew nothing about this new male.

 

“Get out of here before I decide to hurt you even more for attacking him…” the light angel said in a quiet yet deadly voice as he glared at Heechul.

 

Heechul glared at the light angel but slowly began to turn away, acknowledging defeat this round. Just before he left, he quickly looked over his shoulder and gave Kyuhyun one final glare. If looks could kill, Kyuhyun knew he would be dead at this moment.

 

As soon as Heechul disappeared from sight, Kyuhyun felt like a huge weight was taken off his shoulders. His head still hurt but at least it was bearable now. He sighed in relief and looked up at the light angel once more.

 

“Sheesh, what am I going to do with you Cho Kyuhyun?” sighed the light angel as he shook his head. He then extended his arm and offered Kyuhyun a helping hand in getting up.

 

Kyuhyun grasped the angel’s hand and slowly stood up. “Who are you?” he asked curiously as he stared dumbfoundedly at the strange male, specifically at his snow white wings.

 

“Oh, me? I’m Sungmin, a light angel. I’ve been waiting a long time to meet you.” the unfamiliar male said with a radiant smile.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: This is my first ever attempt at writing a fanfiction so I hope this chapter turned out okay! Thanks for reading and please leave a comment if you enjoyed it~ Knowing that I actually have readers will help motivate me to write more. n__n