Chapter Eleven

Not So Cliché After All

The next few days had proved to be the hardest for Luhan, because trying to avoid someone who sleeps across the room from yours is definitely not an easy task. He would wake up the earliest in the morning, and leave home right away without waiting for Sehun. His parents must have noticed his sudden change of behavior, because they asked if he and Sehun had a fight. Luhan already prepared an excuse for that, and just told them that he was just training for his upcoming soccer match (the one which would decide if he’s going to receive the college scholarship).

At school, it was a harder to avoid Sehun, especially during lunch break. Since they all became a little clique now, Luhan decided that he should be the one who eject himself from the group. He just spends most of his time training himself at the soccer field until he could not anymore.

“Luhan, you’re killing yourself if you go on like this. “ Chanyeol begged to him one day, when Luhan remained practicing even though the whole soccer team had gone home already. He and Tao insisted on waiting for Luhan, because they’re afraid that Luhan would be kidnapped or something.

“I’m okay, guys.” Luhan bent down to tie his shoelaces. “Really.”

“Come on, Lu,” Tao said exasperatedly. “You’re seriously trying to convince us with that? Us? We’ve known each other since the three of us are still pooping in our pants!”

Luhan chuckled bitterly, “Yeah, well, I guess you’re pretty much right.”

“If it makes you feel better,” Chanyeol said conversationally. “Sehun’s not that well either.”

Luhan paused. No, it’s not okay. It certainly doesn’t make him feel better either. Sehun should be okay. Luhan knew he brought it upon himself to feel this miserable. He made the stupid decision, and he should be the one suffering the consequences. He is the one who’s supposed to feel like crap because he was the one acting like a brat in this whole situation anyway. And no matter how many times he keeps on denying it to himself, he knows that he misses Sehun a lot.

The last time Luhan saw Sehun properly was at the cultural festival, when he walked out on him. After that, he made it sure that he won’t run into the other even at the house. He made sure that he would arrive after dinner, so that they wouldn’t see each other.

 

It was like any other day, Luhan woke up early so that he could leave the house right away. After eating his breakfast as fast as he could, Luhan darted outside to the morning sun. He had just closed the gates, when he saw a familiar smiling figure outside.

“Oh, Luhannie!” Baekhyun greeted cheerfully as he clung onto Luhan. “Good morning!”              

“Good morning, Baekhyun!” Luhan greeted in return as he tried to talk even though the clinging boy was squeezing the life out of him.

“Luhannie,” Baekhyun said with puppy dog eyes. “I miss you~”

“I miss you too, Baek.” Luhan said with a small smile. Since the “fight”, he hasn’t seen Baekhyun and Minseok a lot.

“Yay, you missed me!” If it’s possible, Baekhyun hugged Luhan more tightly now.

“Baek… Hyun… Can’t… Breathe…!” Luhan struggled.

Baekhyun suddenly loosened his grip. “Whoops! Sorry!”

Luhan caught his breathe for a few seconds, before speaking, “So, are you, uhm, waiting, for uhm… Sehun?”

Baekhyun shook his head. “Actually, I’m waiting for you!”

“Me?” Luhan pointed to himself.

Baekhyun nodded. “Oh, before I forget.” He pulled out a box from his bag. “Minnie asked me to bring this to you. He can’t come today, because Taozi’s staying over at his house right now, if you know what I mean.  Anyway, look! They’re breakfast muffins!” He handed the box of pastries to Luhan.

Luhan thanked him as he opened the box. “Why were you waiting for me, Baekhyun?”

“To walk with you to school, of course!” He began to drag Luhan away. “Come on!”

“It’s lucky that you caught me on time,” Luhan said as he tried to walk in a normal pace. “I usually leave the house early.”

“Oh, Luhannie.” Baekhyun waved a finger at him. “Sehunnie was the one who told me that you leave house this early, that’s why.”

Sehun knew? Luhan swallowed the lump forming in his throat. “Oh. I didn’t know he knew that.”

“Of course,” Baekhyun said as if it’s the most obvious thing in the world. “Hunnie notices you more than you think, Luhannie.”

If Luhan was not surprised before, he definitely is right now. “Don’t joke, Baek.”

Baekhyun giggled. “But I’m not joking…”

“What makes you say that?” Luhan asked.

“Oh, but Luhannie, can’t you see?” Baekhyun asked his eyes rounded.

“What?” Luhan asked.

Baekhyun shook his head. “Okay, this is worse than Minnie and I have presumed… But we don’t want to , so I won’t say anything.”

“Okay?” Luhan raised an eyebrow as he got more confused.

“But, Luhannie…” Baekhyun begged. “I know you might not take this seriously, because I’m Sehunnie’s friend, but please be patient with him, okay?”

“Uhm, okay…” Luhan said. “Look, I know you know what happened last time, and I know I’m a bit overreacting… But…”

“I know I know…” Baekhyun giggled. “I know you’re sorry.”

 Luhan smiled in relief. “Thanks, Baek.”

“Do you miss him?” Baekhyun asked.

Luhan took his time. “Of course I do, really, really, miss him.”

Baekhyun giggled. “You two should be together right now… Maybe it’s just the in your fairy tale ending!”

“Oh, Baek,” Luhan laughed. “Thanks for the support.”

Baekhyun nodded enthusiastically. “Of course I support you! We support you! We’re all rooting for you!!”

 


 

 

“Yeollie, Taozi…” Luhan was shaking all over. “I’m scared.”

He was lodged in between his two friends who were both trying to calm him down. Luhan could hear the crowd outside cheering. Today would be the day that the university agents would be watching his soccer match, and Luhan knew how much is at stake here. He didn’t expect himself to be this overwhelmed with anxiety, even his whole family came to watch. He was so nervous that he even called in panic for his friends.

“It’s okay, Lu.” Tao said as he rubbed soothing on Luhan’s back. “You can win this.”

“You’re a good player, Luhan.” Chanyeol said. “They’re going to see that too.”

“But what if they don’t?” Luhan covered his face. “Oh God, what if I fall down on my face? What if I kick the ball to the opposing team? What if I make a fool of myself in front of everyone?”

“You’re not.”

Luhan paused in his musings when he heard the voice. The hands covering his face froze in their places. His two friends stepped away from Luhan, and coughing slightly as they mumbled that they needed to go get some sodas. The absence of the two was replaced with another figure that Luhan felt was standing in front of him. The frozen hands concealing his face from the rest of the world were removed graciously. Luhan found himself staring up at Sehun who was in turn looking at him with an uncertain grin. He was still holding both of Luhan’s trembling hands.

“Se… Hun?” Luhan’s voice croaked.

“You’re not gonna make a fool of yourself.” Sehun said with determination. “Look, when I told you you’re a good player, I really meant it. And right now, everyone’s waiting for you to show how great you are. That’s what you’re going to do. Show them that you deserve that scholarship.”

“But what if I don’t get it?” Luhan asked. “I don’t have any other options…”

“Luhan, listen to me.” Sehun said firmly. “You can do this. You’re the only one that can do this. And I know because I will be standing out there, with everyone and going to cheer for you like crazed person until all my voice runs out.”

Luhan couldn’t help, but smile. “Look, Sehun. I’m sorry about that last time…”

Sehun shook his head. “Don’t think about that right now. You’ll be distracted.”

“No,” Luhan insisted. “I have to say this. I know I went out of bounds before.”

Sehun rolled his eyes smiling. “You’re really stubborn, aren’t you? Look, I’m sorry too, and I’m supposed to apologize for you after the match. I memorized a speech and all, you know.”

“You memorized a speech?” Luhan snorted.

“Well yeah,” Sehun shrugged. “I figured since the match will be over, you won’t be able to use it as an excuse to avoid me, you know?”

“Oh…” Luhan blinked repeatedly.

“Anyway, back to the game…” Sehun turned serious once more. “Just do your best, okay? Win that thing.”

Luhan nodded. “They’ll never know what hit them.”

“Oh, right, before I forget.” Sehun put his hands on both of Luhan’s shoulders and stepped closer to press his lips on Luhan’s forehead.

“Good luck!”

 

With more confidence than he originally felt before, Luhan stepped on the field with only the goal of winning. For every step that he took, every kick that he executed, Luhan had never been so sure in his entire life. As he heard the deafening shouts of the audience when he finally made a goal, he stole a glance at the audience to see his parents, his brother with his boyfriend, Chanyeol, Tao, Baekhyun, Minseok… and Sehun all jumping on their feet as they cheered for him. He felt so happy seeing their faces supporting him. And when the time was up, with the score of 2-0, both goals made by him, he had never felt so fulfilled in his entire life.

His parents were with him as the university football agents told them the good news. Luhan is granted the scholarship to play for college. His dad and mom are so proud of him, thanking everyone in the locker room. When they came out, Luhan was met with hugs from all the people who supported him. He couldn’t help, but to have some tears of joy rolled down on his cheeks.

“What the hell are you crying for?” Joonmyun teased. “You’re such a baby.”

“Now, now, yeobo…” Yixing said as he ruffled Luhan’s hair. “He’s just happy.”

“I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT!!!” Chanyeol lifted Luhan from the ground. “You are so awesome, Lu!!”

“You did it, Luhan!” Tao cheered. “We’re so proud of you!!”

“Luhannie won!!!” Baekhyun clung onto him like usual.

“Oh, don’t forget the celebratory cake!” Minseok held on his hands a cake that’s shaped like a soccer ball. “Tao and I worked on this the whole night!”

Sehun was the one who approached him last. It was kind of awkward at first, because everyone was gaping at them, watching every detail without blinking; afraid to miss anything. However, Luhan’s mom shooed them all away and go to their house, since they’ll be celebrating there anyway. Luhan and Sehun were left behind by themselves.

 

There was an uneasy silence at first, but Sehun took the initiative to start the conversation.

“You really did well out there.” Sehun said with a contented smile.

“Thanks.” Luhan said. “You really helped… a lot.”

“Listen, Luhan…” Sehun looked at him with determination. “About last time, I think I need to explain something.”

Luhan shook his head earnestly. “No, you don’t need to. I’m okay.”

“No, you have to understand.” Sehun said firmly as he looked straight into Luhan’s eyes. “You’re right. I gave it a lot of thought, and you’re right. Right now, I’m confused myself, and because of that, I did things that made you feel like I took your feelings for granted. I’m sorry for that, because I really think about you a lot. You have that effect on me. You make me do things which are beyond my comfort zone, and it scares me a little, because we live in the same house. Your parents take care of me, for god’s sakes, and I’m scared that if I do screw up it would not only affect us. At the same time, I want to figure out my feelings, because I haven’t really had something with anyone honestly. I’ve been confessed to by some people before, but you’re the first person who makes me want to take the shot. And I know you’re worth it. That’s why I wanted to sort out my feelings first, and find out how I truly feel about you. And I know this is asking a lot from you already, but could you give me a little bit more time so that I can get to know about you more?”

Luhan stared at Sehun, lips quavering as he lets all the words sink in. He felt himself nod and he reached his hand to graze it over Sehun’s cheek. His heart beating hast when he felt Sehun breath hitch. “I’ll wait. I promise. Just… If you finally figured it out, and you think that I needed to stop… Please tell me, okay?”

Sehun held the hand against his cheek as he leaned to it. “Thank you.”