Chapter Five

Not So Cliché After All

Last one before I fall asleep?


 

To say that Luhan barely slept that night was an understatement. That was why when he came downstairs for breakfast the next morning; his parents cast worried looks on him.

“Are you alright, son?” His father asked as he settled down his newspaper.

“Yeah, dad.” Luhan answered with a yawn.

“What’s up with Little Lulu?” Joonmyun said as he sat down at the dinner table with Sehun. “You look like a zombie, little bro.” Luhan has no energy.to scowl at him.

“You okay, Luhan?” Sehun asked so innocently as if he’s not the cause of Luhan’s predicament.

“Uhm, yeah.” Luhan answered right away. Straightening his posture immediately.

After they’ve settled down, Luhan’s mom cleared his throat.

“Guess what came in the mail today?”’ His mother looked like she could not contain herself any longer. She was holding an already opened letter in her hand.

From his position, Luhan cannot see the contents, yet the letter seemed formal.

“What is it, mom?” Joonmyun asked.

“It’s a letter for Luhan!” His mom said excitedly. “Seoul National University wants to offer you a college scholarship!”

Luhan’s mouth hang open, hardly daring to believe what was happening. His brother however snatched the letter from their mother as he read the letter for himself.

His father on the other hand was smiling as well. “I told your mom we have to wait for you to open the letter, but she didn’t listen to me.”

“What?” Luhan’s mom answered. “When I saw the logo, I got so excited!”

“This is great!” Joonmyun said as he finished reading the letter. “They just have to watch a game of yours, and if they like what they see, your future’s safe, Luhan.”

Luhan was still immobile in his position. Seoul National University? That’s…

“We’ll be going to the same university then?” Sehun smiled to him across the table.

Joonmyun laughed. “This is awesome, are you guys meant to be or something?”

“Hyung!” Luhan kicked his brother.

“Hey, I’m just kidding!” Joonmyun chuckled, as well as his parents.

Luhan pouted, but his insides are squirming. He really wants to get this scholarship no matter what.

“Oh! Look at the time!” His mom exclaimed. “You boys better finish up soon or you’ll be late!”

 


 

“Hey Luhan, wait up!”

Luhan nearly stumbled as he walked to the gate. Now that Sehun’s living with them, it only means one thing: The two of them would go to school together. Luhan was kinda looking forward to it last night, but he underestimated his feelings. Oh, how much did he daydream about this moment before…? He and Sehun, walking to school together… Holding each other’s hands… Laughing like there’s not tomorrow. He felt his brain and heart going haywire as an almost running Sehun caught up to him. Luhan felt like a robot as they walked down the street.

“So how are we going to school?” Sehun asked conversationally.

“I usually take the bus.” Luhan answered in a high-pitched mechanical voice.

“Oh, okay,” Sehun answered. “Uhm, Luhan?”

“Yeah?” Luhan asked in return. He was trying really hard not to stutter.

Sehun smiled patiently. “If we’re taking the bus… I think we passed the bus stop two blocks ago…?”

“…What?” Luhan stopped in his tracks as he looked around his surroundings. Yup, passed two blocks ago… “Oh my God!! We’re gonna be late!”

Sehun laughed as the two of them rushed back to catch the bus to school.

 

“Sehun! I’m so sorry!” Luhan said breathlessly as the two of them sat down at the back of the nearly crowded bus. “Sorry! Sorry! I’ll make it up to you! Uh… If we’re late… I’ll do your homework for you! Sorry! I’m really sorry!”

“Luhan,” Sehun patted his shoulders, and no, Luhan’s heart did not skip a beat, sarcastically speaking. “It’s okay…” He was catching his breath as well.

“B… But…” Luhan bit his lips. “If we arrive late, we’ll both be punished, and it’s my entire fault. I’m not paying attention!”

Sehun smiled. “I told you it’s okay. Hey. If it makes you feel better, at least we already did our morning exercise!”

And it did make himself feel better. Luhan cannot help but to smile secretly to himself.

Sehun yawned. “Hey Luhan, can I borrow your shoulder?”

Luhan nearly sputtered. He wasn’t sure if he heard correctly.

“W… What?”

But instead of answering, Sehun placed his head on Luhan’s shoulder and yawned once again. “I kind of slept late last night. Is it okay if I take a short nap? Just wake me up when we arrive at our stop, okay?” and he dozed off.

Luhan was frozen in his seat. His breath is uneven, and he is 100% positive that it wasn’t because of the running that they did earlier.

 

Luckily, the two of them managed to arrive at school before the gates closed. There were a few buzz and whispers from the other students as Sehun walked with Luhan. Of course everyone would talk about it. Sehun is only, and he cannot emphasize it enough, only seen with Minseok and Baekhyun. Luhan thought exasperatedly. For sure, the fact that Sehun is with somebody else right now would be known to every student by lunchtime.

 

It’s gonna be a long day…

 

“Dude, you are a celebrity.” Chanyeol said as the three of them walked to the cafeteria. “You’re not just ‘Luhan the one in the soccer team’ right now; you’re ‘Luhan the one who walked with Oh Sehun to school!’”

Luhan sighed miserably. “I didn’t want this attention.” He said as they passed some gossiping girls in the hallway. “I mean, yeah, I’m really happy that I’m with Sehun this morning, but I’m kind of contented staying in the background.”

“Amen, brother.” Tao grimaced. “But you know we’re in high school. These kinds of things are gone in a day or so. People are just gonna forget it when another issue emerges, and trust me, it’s not gonna be long.”

“I hope so…” Luhan nodded as the three of them entered the cafeteria.

 

There was an awkward silence when Luhan took a seat in their usual table. Again, the other students started whispering and pointing at him.

“I swear to God, if only I had brought my wushu stick here…” Tao mumbled in annoyance.

“Why are they whispering anyway?” Chanyeol scratched his head. “It’s not as if you kissed Sehun in front of them.”

“Guys, just ignore them.” Luhan said, but who was he kidding? He was feeling really uncomfortable right now. “Let’s just go get something to eat.”

“Man, I gotta say…” Tao was shaking his head. “I never thought Sehun’s fans are this crazy. I thought it’s just you, Luhan.”

“I’m not crazy!” Luhan hit Tao’s forearms, but he can’t help but laugh. Okay, he might be a bit crazy, and somehow he felt a lot better because Chanyeol and Tao joined in with his laughter.

Somehow, Luhan thought, he knew everything’s gonna be okay.

 

The three of them had just started eating when Sehun arrived with Minseok and Baekhyun at the cafeteria. Everything went into pandemonium once again, but Luhan did not join in with the others. The new arrivals are just passing their tables, and although Luhan wanted so much to eat lunch with Sehun hoped that he would go unnoticed.

“Hey guys!” Baekhyun greeted brightly. “Can we eat lunch with you?”

“Uhm…” Chanyeol looked uncertain, and Luhan knows how torn his friend is right now.

There was the buzzing at the other tables once again as the other students started gossiping once again. Luhan looked down miserably at his lunch. Somehow, as he heard the other students talking not so subtlety around him still made him uncomfortable. Luhan squeezed his eyes shot for a moment before he decided to reject the other three. However, when he looked up, Sehun is already sitting in front of him with a smile on his face. He reached down to Luhan’s tray and grabbed Luhan’s butterscotch. Luhan was just processing everything as he watched Sehun eating the dessert.

“We’re gonna get our lunch trays!” Baekhyun said cheerfully as he pulled Minseok with him. “Chanyeollie and Taozi will help us, right?” Chanyeol, who just stared dazedly at Baekhyun, followed him immediately, pulling a slightly protesting Tao in his tow.

There was a bit of tension in the atmosphere as Luhan tried to tune out his surroundings.

 “Sehun, I don’t think you and your friends should…” Luhan started to say as he avoided the other’s gaze.

“Ignore them.” Sehun interrupted, which made Luhan look up. “You shouldn’t listen to what they’re saying. They don’t know who you really are. Please, don’t be sad, okay?”

Luhan stared at Sehun, but he does not know what to say.

Sehun sighed deeply. All of a sudden, he crossed his eyes and stuck his tongue out comically.

It came in ripples, but soon, Luhan was laughing really loudly in his seat. He was laughing so hard that his stomach hurt.

“Hey,” Sehun said as he scratched his neck in embarrassment. “You can stop laughing now…”

“I just…” Luhan is trying his best to suppress his laughter. “You made a funny face!”

“Sorry!” Sehun looked worried. “I’m not really good at things like this!”

Luhan was wiping tears from his eyes right now from so much laughter. “Trust me, you’re good.”

“Well, that’s great.” Sehun nodded. “Now you’re smiling again.”

Luhan stopped laughing suddenly, but the smile on his face stayed there. His heart felt warm and fuzzy. Sehun actually made an effort to cheer him up, and somehow it made him a lot happier.

“Thank you.” Luhan said in all honesty he could muster.

“So, did we miss something?” Tao sat beside Luhan. He had an indignant expression on his face. Across him sat Minseok who himself was wearing the same expression. Meanwhile, Chanyeol and Baekhyun are discussing the drama they were both watching the night before.

“Nothing much.” Luhan said happily as he continued finishing his lunch.

 

Later that afternoon, Luhan was walking back to their classroom from his soccer practice when he received a text message (containing dozens of emoticons) from Chanyeol and Tao telling him that they will be going home earlier. Luhan furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. Their club activities must have ended way too early. He nearly has a heart attack when he saw Sehun waiting outside their classroom. It looked like he just came from baseball practice as well.

“Hey Luhan,” Sehun greeted as Luhan neared. “We’re going home together now, right? I ran into Chanyeol and Tao earlier, and I told them that the four of us could go home together, but they said they needed to go somewhere else.”

 

Those guys… Suddenly the flood of happy faces and exclamation points from their texts made so much sense.

 

“Oh, okay.” Luhan answered. “I’ll just get my bag inside.”

 


 

 

And that's it so far! I'll be posting the next ones soon! <3 Good night!