Chapter Seven

Not So Cliché After All

After that incident in the baseball field, Luhan felt like he and Sehun are now more comfortable with each other. Sehun opened up to Luhan than before, and he is really happy in this development. However, this build-up-to-a-soon-to-be-fairy-tale-ending was easily shattered when the following week came along, and everything fell back into reality once again when they were faced in the chapter of… Tao and Minseok’s “bake-off”.

Now, it shouldn’t have been a big deal at first since Luhan is used to Tao and Minseok’s rivalry since freshmen year, but he was faced in a huge predicament when Tao came to him one afternoon to ask (plead) him to be his assistant at the bake-off. Since Chanyeol is a member of the Baking Club already, he was not allowed to be Tao’s assistant. Of course, Luhan said yes right away, but what he did not thought ahead was the fact that Sehun will be Minseok’s assistant for the contest.

 

“Baekhyun-ah, why aren’t you the one who’ll be Minseok’s assistant in the bake-off?” Luhan asked one time they are having lunch with Chanyeol (Tao refused to be in the same table that was touched by Minseok, and vice-versa. Sehun meanwhile was dragged by Minseok to the Home Economics room to practice--- while Luhan practiced with Tao before class start.).

Baekhyun shrugged as he ate his second donut. “Hmm, as soon as I heard Chanyeollie told me that you’re Taozi’s assistant, I immediately volunteered Sehun for the spot!” he smiled brightly.

“Baekhyun and I thought,” Chanyeol looked a bit high because he only has Baekhyun’s attention these past few days. “It would be a good development in your love story with Sehun!”

Luhan blinked repeatedly as he tried to comprehend the bizarre thing that he had just heard. “Uhh… What?”

“You know?” Baekhyun explained. “The two of you on rival sides, battling each other… Torn between love and loyalty… Sounds like a forbidden love, doesn’t it, Chanyeollie?”

Chanyeol could only nod enthusiastically as Luhan shook his head in amusement.

 

Finally, the much-awaited day of the “bake-off” came. The news about the contest spread like wildfire around the school. It wasn’t a big deal at first, but when the students found out that Sehun will be participating in it, people went crazy. So many students wanted to watch, that is why Luhan found himself standing at the backstage of their auditorium with Tao. Luhan could see Sehun and Minseok at the other side, which is good because the two competitors looked like they’re going to take each other’s eyeballs off any moment.

Luhan only had a chance to talk to Sehun when the baking club moderator, Mr. Wu, called onto Tao and Minseok to explain the rules of the contest. When the club moderator passed the two of them though, Luhan couldn’t help but to stare in awe.

“So that’s the substitute club moderator?” Luhan asked to no one in particular. “Wow, he’s really handsome and tall…”

Sehun turned to him with his eyebrows raised. “You find him attractive?”

Luhan was caught off guard; He didn’t mean it like that. “No, no, I’m just stating the truth. That’s all.”

Sehun clicked his tongue as he scowled at the club moderator. “Tsk, he’s too tall. And is he really that good looking? Even Minseok told me he’s not his type, and that’s saying something because Minseok is his favorite.”

Luhan frowned in confusion, but before he could ask what Sehun meant, Tao called upon him.

“Well, good luck!” Luhan told Sehun. “I’m so glad this would be over soon.”

“Couldn’t have said it better myself.” Sehun said. “Good luck!” He then walked off to Minseok, while Tao pulled Luhan away.

“Okay, Lu,” Tao gripped onto Luhan’s forearms tightly. He looked so determined that it scared Luhan a little. “I know you’re in love with Sehun, blah, blah, blah, but I am asking you, as a friend whom I’ve known since kindergarten, please put aside your feelings in the meantime. Please, THIS is important to me.”

“I know, Tao.” Luhan assured him. “I know. And I’ll do my best to support you. Don’t worry.”

Tao breathed out a sigh of relief. “Good. I can’t have you going down when we go to battle.”

Luhan patted Tao’s shoulder. “Relax. You know how I hate losing too.”

Tao finally looked assured. However, he turned to glare at the direction of Sehun Minseok once again as their club moderator talked to him. “Look at them, looking cheery and all… You see? Teacher’s pet…”

Luhan nodded. “Well, you’re kinda right…”

Tao scoffs. “What’s Sehun’s problem anyway? Is his back hurt? He’s standing a bit weirdly… Kind of like he’s… Is he comparing his height with Mr. Wu?”

Luhan looked curiously at Sehun (as if his attention wasn’t on him anyway), and Tao looks like he’s right. He’s certain that Sehun is trying to stand on tiptoes.

 

Luhan stood in awe when he saw the number of audience in the auditorium. He had never seen the building this packed, and about half of them brought support banners and posters of… Sehun. Luhan couldn’t help, but to laugh a little as he watched the situation.

“Good morning fellow students, teachers and staff!” The booming voice of the announcer (Is that Chanyeol?) “Welcome to the much awaited Baking Club… BAKE OFF!”

Everybody clapped their hands and cheered loudly.

“And now, let’s welcome the competitors for today!” Another voice speaks up (Is that Baekhyun?). “Give it up for Minseok and Tao!”

Luhan stood beside Tao behind an installed kitchen counter on the stage. At the other side, he looked quickly to see Sehun and Minseok standing side by side at the other counter as well.

“Now, first of all, let me discuss the rules of this contest.” Chanyeol’s voice boomed as the applause subsided. “The two competitors would each bake cupcakes of their choice enough for all the people in the audience. The given amount of time is three hours. They are both allowed to have a partner to assist them. When the time is up, both competitors must stop everything they are doing, and submit their works to the panel. The audience would each be given a ballot and they must put a check on the person that they think made the better cupcake. The competitor with the most number of votes will be the winner. Any questions? None? Thank you.”

“And now, the time that everyone’s waiting for!” Baekhyun announced. “Let the games begin!”

Tao immediately went to work with Luhan helping him in every step of the way. Since they had practiced every morning, Luhan had no difficulties in following Tao’s instructions. He had to admit, that he kinda enjoyed what he was doing. It did not feel like they worked for three hours. He did not even get distracted by Sehun who was working hard just a few feet from him. Luhan felt relieve that when he heard the buzzer, he and Tao already finished baking and decorating 500 cupcakes for everyone.

It took a while for them to distribute the cupcakes to everyone, and it looks like everyone enjoyed eating them, because they are wearing smiles on their faces. It took almost an hour for the baking club to count the votes, but when they finally gave the envelope to Chanyeol and Baekhyun, Luhan felt Tao stood up tensely beside him.

Luhan patted Tao reassuringly. “Relax. You’ve done well today.”

Tao nodded slowly. “Thanks, Luhan.”

“And now, to announce the winner…!” Chanyeol proclaimed. “Baekhyun-ah, please do the honors…”

“The winner of today’s bake-off is…” Baekhyun announced as he opened the envelope, and Luhan could hear his heart pounding in his ears. “… I can’t believe it! It’s a tie!!!” Everyone in the audience cheered loudly.

“WHAT?!!” Tao and Minseok exclaimed in surprise as they ran off to the announcers table to confirm the results.

Luhan and Sehun looked at each other with smiles on their faces, which not much later turned into loud laughter.

 

Later that afternoon…

“Okay, guys,” Sehun started as he stood between Tao and Minseok. They are standing at the front of school gates. Everyone had gone home already, and they were left behind to clean the mess. “This feud of yours has gone too far already. Can’t we all just get along?”

Luhan, Chanyeol and Baekhyun meanwhile stood at the sidelines, eyeing Tao and Minseok carefully. They are in full alert in case the two lunge on each other’s throats.

Tao and Minseok scoffed at each other before doing the briefest handshake in the history.

The other four could only roll their eyes and sigh in relief.

 


 

Perhaps it’s due to the exhaustion of the previous day’s event, Luhan decided to sleep in the next day since it’s a Saturday. When he checked his bedside clock, it’s already eleven am. He suddenly felt his stomach growling, so he decided to eat something already. He yawned loudly as he proceeded downstairs. There’s no food on the table, that’s why after groaning loudly, he decided to cook his own brunch. When he turned to the fridge though, he saw a note from his parents asking them to do the groceries, and clean the house because they’ll be back on Monday. Right, Luhan almost forgot that his parents are going to visit some of their relatives at the province over the weekend.

Luhan sighed as he noticed another note on the fridge. This time, it was from Joonmyun. It says that he’ll be staying at Yixing’s over the weekend to finish some papers (yeah, right.), so Luhan had to do the chores. In a fit of quite annoyance, Luhan crumpled the paper quite harshly before throwing it at the trash bin. Having no choice at all, he decided to just cook some food already. However, when he retrieved the bacon and egg from the fridge, he wondered if Sehun already ate.

Luhan wondered if Sehun is still at the house. He checked the front door, and yes, Sehun’s shoes are still there. Luhan went upstairs to check up on him, when he knocked on Sehun’s there on the other hand, there was no answer. He tried turning the door knob, and realized it was not locked. Ever so slowly, Luhan opened the door. Sure enough he found Sehun still lying on his bed. Luhan noticed something is off when he noticed that the other was shaking slightly under his blanket.

“Sehun!” Luhan ran to Sehun’s bedside and touched the latter’s forehead. “Oh my God! You’re sick!”

“Luhan?” Sehun called under the sheets. His eyes barely opening. “Is that you? It’s really cold. My head hurts a lot.”

“Wait here, Sehun,” Luhan said in panic. “I’ll just go downstairs and cook you some chicken soup, then get you some medicine!”

Luhan tried to stand up, but Sehun reached out for his hand to stop him. “Don’t leave me alone. Stay please?”

“I’ll be back, okay?” Luhan explained, “I’ll be back in five minutes. Promise.”

“Promise?” He tightened his grip on Luhan.

How could Sehun be this adorable when he’s sick?

FOCUS LUHAN. FOCUS!

“Yes, I promise.” Sehun finally let go of his hand.

Luhan scrambled downstairs to cook the soup. He opted to just eat a piece of apple as he waited for the soup to boil. After that, he got the medicine and brought a bowl of water. When he went back to Sehun’s room, he found him sitting up on his bed.

“Why are you sitting?” Luhan fussed as he gently tried to push Sehun to lie down on the bed again. “You should be lying down and resting!”

“But I’m going to eat, aren’t I?” Sehun asked.

“Oh right…” Luhan laughed shakily. “My bad… Here…” He handed Sehun the bowl of soup, but he only stared at the bowl of soup then back to Luhan.

“You’re not going to feed me?” Sehun asked blinking repeatedly.

Luhan blushed. “What?”

“I’m sick…” Sehun said quietly as he fiddled with his blanket. “Feed me… Ah…” He opened his mouth cutely waiting for Luhan’s actions.

Luhan stared at Sehun for a few moments, which earned him a louder “Ah...!” from the sick boy. He then proceeded to get a spoonful of soup and fed Sehun with it. It was sudden, but Sehun smiled weakly at Luhan as he finishes the soup. When he was done, Luhan isn’t sure which cheeks are more red, his blushing ones, or Sehun’s.

“Drink your medicine.” Luhan avoided Sehun’s gaze as he handed him the tablet, which was taken obediently.

After that, Luhan told Sehun to lie down. He got the bowl of water and soaked a cloth in it. Using the wet cloth, Luhan wiped Sehun’s face and arms with it. The other boy complied with Luhan’s actions, too weak to say anything. He folded the cloth carefully and placed it gently at Sehun’s forehead.

“Sehun, I think you should sleep.” Luhan said quietly.

“Hmm,” Sehun hummed nodding. “Luhan, can I hold your hand while I sleep?”

Luhan nodded as he sat on the floor beside the bed and reached out for Sehun’s hand. It didn’t take long for Luhan to hear gentle snoring. Luhan turned his head so that he could look and admire at the sleeping boy closely. Sehun’s cheeks are a little red, and his mouth opened ever so slightly. His long eyelashes fall perfectly against his skin. Luhan smiled fondly as he felt signs of sleepiness fall down upon him. The last thing he saw before his eyes gave up is Sehun’s peaceful sleeping face.

 

When Luhan opened his eyes sleepily, he found Sehun staring at him intently. It must have been late afternoon already, since traces of dusk could be seen outside the window.

“Oh, you’re awake!” Luhan exclaimed in surprise. He took note of the fact that Sehun is still holding his hand. “Oh my God, did I fall asleep? Are you still feeling sick? Did you drink medicine? Do you want to eat something? Are you hungry? What do you want me to cook for you?”

Sehun shook his head. “Calm down, Luhan. I think I’m much okay now. I think my fever went down already. I think I have to change my pajamas though.”

“Oh, right.” Luhan nodded. “You should’ve changed already. Do you want me to get it for you?”

Sehun shook his head once more. “It’s okay. I can do it myself. I just don’t want to wake you earlier… You look really cute when you sleep.”

“Oh, uhm, well then,” Luhan’s cheeks are tinged with pink right now as he let go of Sehun’s hand in embarrassment. “You can change now. I’ll just bring the dishes downstairs to wash them.”

Luhan collected the used up bowls and glasses from the bedside. He was just about to leave the room when he felt Sehun pulled the hem of his shirt.

“Are you still going back here after?” Sehun asked not letting go.

Luhan did not dare to look back. “Of course, I need to check up on you.”

“Okay,” Sehun said as he let him go.

 

When Luhan closed the door of Sehun’s room, he quickly rested his back on the wall as he breathed the much needed air. It took him some minutes, before heading downstairs to finish his chores. When he headed back to Sehun’s room, he felt nervous as he knocked on the door. Sehun already changed into a new pajama when he opened the door.

“Are you sure you’re okay now?” Luhan asked.

Sehun walked back to his bed and sat on it. “Yeah. Thanks for today, Luhan. I really appreciate it.”

“It’s nothing.” Luhan answered. He was still standing awkwardly at the doorway. “Do you still need anything?”

“I’m okay.” Sehun replied.

“Okay then,” Luhan nodded. “I’ll go back to my room now. If anything happens, call me.” He opened the door to leave.

“Luhan, I…” Sehun started saying which caused Luhan to turn around.

“Yeah?

Sehun shook his head. “Nothing. Good night…”

 


 

I'm just gonna missing the ending for this story, which I'm gonna write hopefully by tonight!! So expect that I'll upload the other chapters soon! <33 But right now, I'll sleep. It's like around 3am here already! Good night!