Remember the time...

Love is a hard game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hey guys ! I know it's been a while but between my summer job and my desesparate apartment search, I didn't find anytime to devote myself on writing. But I finally manage to do something, even if I'm not too satisfied with it. It should have been longer like the precedent chapter but I didn't want to make you wait more so I hope you'll enjoy it. 

 

The shrill tone of the alarm clock wake AJ up at 7.00AM. He immediately cut it off, the sound gave him headaches. He reached his phone, falling under the blanket when he slept, listening Kyuhyun sing. It no longer have battery. AJ take his phone and plugged it to the charger.

Thanks to him, he had another phone. The one he had in Korea, which was dead now, and the one he bought for United States, to reach his friends. International calls where too expansive. He quickly grabbed it on the bedside table, noticing that Chad didn’t come back night-long.

When he get up and took his phone, he saw Danielle’s number still remain on his forearm. This sight make him chuckled. He would never forget yesterday night. It was the first time in his entire life someone asked him out that way, and it was pretty fun. Danielle was pretty fun. Rather pretty and fun. She was exactly the kind AJ get along to. She was smart, funny, entertaining, plus she was really beautiful, but he didn’t mind it that much.

AJ though about calling her, wondering if it was a good idea. She seemed interested on him, and he must admit he was curious about her. It was a fact that he enjoyed the girl’s presence, she makes him really comfortable, they have many common areas of interest and the same easy-going nature. He was pretty sure she could became a really good friend to him, and he liked spend time with her yesterday night, so why not ? It would be a great time.

So AJ took a deep breath and enter the number, before reconsider. It was too early in the morning, and it was Saturday. She was surely sleeping. And he had a three courses hours in the morning. On that through, he decided to call her a bit later and get his stuff before heading to the dorm’s showers.

 

At the other side of the city, a café in Brooklyn, a girl, visibly very anxious, harassed her friend who had the terrible idea to come breakfast with her.

- I don’t understand… said the brunette while putting her phone on the table. Why he didn’t call yet ?

- Danielle, please, breathe, urges her friend. You said you left the café before him. He probably stay late with his friends and when he returned home he was too tired and fell asleep, which he might be still now. So stop putting yourself in such a state and wait.

- Yeah, you’re probably right… But anyway, this makes me very nervous… Almost as anxious I was when I auditioned for my first musical in Broadway.

- Wahoo ! This guy must be very special then, her friend smiled, take a sip of her coffee.

- Yes, Danielle smiled, lost in her thoughts. He is.

 

When he put his last box in the trunk of his car, he closed it with one hand. He turned back to his concerned friend, trying to smile to smooth him.

- Thank you for all of this… the chestnut said, waving to his car. Good thing you can manage to make a requisition order to get my stuff and send agents back there… I couldn’t get back to the villa after everything happened.

- Ryeowook… Are you sure of what you’re doing ? whispered Do il in a low and serious voice

- Yes, the little one answered. You don’t need to worry that much. I’m a big boy you know ? I can take care about myself.

- At least I was able to convince you to take a break to think about it before make your decision… Do il said. Promise me you will think about it and don’t make a decision on a whim.

- I already promise you, Ryeowook pouted. My word isn’t enough for you ?

- At least say to me you won’t leave the country like a thief without telling me.

- I promise, Ryeowook said, rising his little finger.

Do il smiled and did the same. They shook their little fingers together.

- You are sure you don’t want to speak to your parents ? asked the lieutenant.

- Not now… the brunette said. I want some space, time on my own. My parents will never leave me alone if they heard about it.

- They must acknowledge that Ryeowook. If their only child decides to leave the country, they have the right to know.

- We are not this far now. I’ll tell them when time’s come.

- It’s up to you. I won’t interfere in it.

- Thank you, he sighed in relief.

- Otherwise… I heard you this afternoon. You were speaking to that French guy aren’t you ?

- Yeah… Ryeowook admitted. Jean Baptiste…

- What did you say to him ?

- I thank him for his proposition and told him that I needed time to make my decision.

- Will you call him back ?

- When I made it I guess… Ryeowook muttered.

- Ok… so…

The two men passed an awkward moment looking at each other before Do il took a step forward and pulling his childhood friend into a hug.

- Be careful on the road, I don’t like the idea of you driving at night. Take good care of yourself, eat well, sleep well, and especially give me news every day, even by a small text. Otherwise, I took the car and drive all the way just to check if you're okay.

- Thank you Do il. Thank you for everything. I didn’t know how I could manage to pass through all of this without you. You were such a rescue to me. I would never forget how much you helped me on this, never….

- You don’t have to thank me. What kind of friend I would be if I wasn’t there for you when you needed it ?

- You are so much more than a friend to me… sobbed Ryeowook. You are the big brother I never have, the confidant, the protector… Even if I leave, you will still remain the same for me…

Do il try hard to not cry himself while listening to Ryeowook. He squeezed a little more his friend in his arms before releasing him slowly.

- I think it’s time, Ryeowook said with a small smile, chasing his tears away.

Do il opened the car’s door and Ryeowook climb on the driver's side.

- Goodbye, Song Do il, Ryeowook said with his little singing voice, trying with all his might not to burst into tears.

- Goodbye Kim Ryeowook, said Do il before closing the door.

Ryeowook waved at him behind the glass, and he did the same before taking a step back, seeing the car roll away. Inside, silent tears flows on Ryeowook’s face.

 

After his third and last course hour of the week, AJ checked his watch at the output of the amphitheater. It was 11.30AM. Swinging his bag’s strap on his shoulder, he leaves the building for the outside. He walked across the park to rejoin the university’s dorm and pull out his phone, intending to do what he planned in the morning.

 

Danielle was still with her friend, and the two girls moved to the singer’s apartment. They were still chatting about the fabulous encounter Danielle made yesterday at the coffee shop/pub when her ringtone was heard. The brunette took her phone and looked at the screen. Since she did, she looked stunned.

- What ? asked her friend.

- I don’t know this number, Danielle said, rising from the couch where they sat.

- Maybe it’s him. Answer !

- But what I’m gonna say ? I don’t know what to do ! panicked the blue-eyed girl.

- Just answer that damn phone, you’ll find out while speaking.

- But if I embarrass myself ?

- Danielle, answer or he will think you’re not interested and won’t call you again.

- Yeah, you’re right… Ok… I answer.

She breathes out to calm herself down and take the call.

- Hello ?

 

The voice at the over edge of the phone let him frozen for a second. Somewhat, what he intended to do, even though it was perfectly innocent, seemed wrong. He didn’t know how to explain or describe this, but he had a bad feeling.

- Hello ? asked the voice for the second time.

- Hum, hi Danielle. It’s me… AJ. We met yesterday at the café…

 

Danielle mouthed to her friend “It’s him.”

- Ok, said the other girl. Just talk normally and don’t show him you expected his call.

Danielle raise her thumb to show she had understood.

- Yeah, I remember, she said simply.

 

There was a quick silence, but a slight awkward one. AJ didn’t have difficulties yesterday to talk to Danielle. To be honest, because of their similar behavior, it was pretty easy going. But on a call back phone, it’s seems just… different.

- So…How are you ? he finally said, insulting himself for being so awkward.

- I’m fine, said the feminine voice. What about you ?

- The same, he answered. I had a few courses this morning, it just finished…

- Ah, ok…

A new silence.

- Hey Danielle !

- Yes ! replied automatically the girl, clenching on her phone.

- Since I’m free now, would you want to… I don’t know… have some lunch, maybe ? With me ?

- I’d love to, she said, visibly pleased.

- Ah, AJ said, sighed out of relief. Hum… do you have a place in mind ? Somewhere you want to go ?

- Not especially… I will go anywhere with you.

That make AJ blush like hell. How could he possibly answer to something like that ? And why was it so hot ? It was December !

- Hum hum… he cleared his throat. My friends make me discover in a little restaurant in the Village… It’s pretty nice, and their Pesto Pasta is out of this world… If you want, we can met there…

- Yes, sounds good. Can you send me the address by text ?

- Yeah, sure. I’ll do that. So… we said… back there in an hour ?

- Ok, she agreed. Maybe doing something after…

- Why not, we’ll see…

- Let’s say this. Bye AJ, see you later !

- Yeah, see ya’.

 

Danielle hung up and turned to her friend.

- Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ! she screamed, jumping on place.

- What did he say ? What’s going on ? asked the other girl, rising from the couch, impatient.

- He invites me to lunch… maybe more, she answered, obviously very happy. It’s a date !

- That’s cool ! Congrats girl !

They both hug each other.

- Oh… wait ! I don’t know how to dress up ! she said, panicking again.

- Seems that we’re going to find out together ! Come ! she said, grabbing her hand to drove her in her bedroom.

 

When AJ hang up, a sincere smile was posted all over his face. It wasn’t that bad, for a person who invites a girl for the first time of his life. Ok, maybe he wasn’t a reference on the subject. He gave up any social and private life at the age of fourteen when he started his debut with Paran.

Since, his life was built through his work. Plus, he wasn’t interested on romantic stuff. He was convinced of something named “one true love” and was sure he had one somewhere, that he will find out someday. He knew nothing more until the age of 18, when, by some random coincidence, he bumped into his first love, literally.

As in all cases, it was necessary, as his math and physics genius brain like to remind him, a contingent event. The contingent element in question happened to be Lee Taemin, is little beloved brother. AJ remembered that day very clearly.

AJ had eighteen and Taemin had just turned seventeen. His no-more-baby brother asked to meet him, because it has been a while they didn’t see each other and they both missed the other badly. Plus, Taemin was worried about his brother because Paran just broke up and AJ was band-less. His brother resumed his studies and started to wonder if he shouldn’t stop music. He kept saying he didn’t have the good looks nor the voice to be a solo singer in South Korea, so he though seriously about leaving Music Industry.

Like the good brother he was, Taemin care a lot about his hyung and turned mad when he heard the person he admire the most in the world denigrate himself like this. He asked AJ to pick him up at the Headquarters of the SM Entertainment and then go together in the park of their childhood, knowing it was peaceful and full of beautiful and colorful memories for both of them.

So, AJ came at the specified time, punctual as usual. Taemin sent him a text saying he will be late, because SHINee had a meeting and he can’t get out of this. AJ started waiting for Taemin, but since the younger didn’t show up, he gets ill at ease. The SM was one of the biggest Entertainment companies in the country, and even the hall entrance was so big, with large screens on the walls, showing programs involving SM artists. This entire big thing make him uncomfortable. It was too much. He was too intimidated, and his feeling of inferiority came running.

He asked Taemin where he was, wanted to escape from this whole thing, and his brother gave him the directions to get at the me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter