Chapter 10

Print Of Your Lips

She sat in the front row at the radio event, smiling as SHINee performed Juliette for the fans who had been invited to the venue. A couple of days since taking Kate with her had passed, and she had been incredibly busy, going to see her boss earlier in the week to show him what she had. He was pleased with how much she had achieved in the short space of time, but directed her to get more information. She had then come up with a plan to spend some time with each boy doing something different. Taemin had gone roller skating with her yesterday and she had come away knowing more about his drama pursuits, and with a couple of bruises from falling over. Her next one was with Key and they were going shopping together in the weekend after some charity event that was scheduled.

SHINee finished their song and bowed, thanking the audience and then answered a few questions the DJ proposed to them. She didn’t really focus on the conversation; the usual questions about the album had become quite boring to her now. She had to hand it to the five boys for being so persistent, she would have become irritated with the same questions almost every day. Checking her watch, she wondered if she could sneak off and find a nearby coffee shop, needing to get herself a vanilla frappe. She quickly grabbed her bag and walked over to Yeon-Ah, who was currently chaperoning the group.

“I’m just going to go to a coffee shop,” she informed the woman and she nodded. “There’s one close by, right?”

“Go right at the corner and you won’t have to walk far.”

“Thanks,” she said in reply, glancing back at the boys and then hurrying off to fulfil her craving. She found the small coffee shop easily and ordered her beverage, tapping her foot to a tune inside her head. A bubbly song came on the radio playing in the corner and she thought it sounded familiar, although she couldn’t figure it out. It got to the chorus and she was able to distinguish the male voice in it, her smile growing on her face. Taking her drink, she headed back to the venue, thinking over the lyrics in the song she had just heard.

“Ah, she went for a drink,” Jonghyun stated as she found the boys again and nodded her head as she sipped on her drink. “What is it?”

“It’s probably a vanilla frappe,” Key guessed and she grinned at the boy, raising her hand up to give him a high five.

“I just heard a song in the coffee shop,” she said as she took her lips away from the straw. Rochelle looked at Onew and smiled. “I believe it was you Onew.”

“Oh?”

“That duet you did. It’s called Vanilla Love, right?”

He nodded. “Yeah, I didn’t know you knew about that.”

“Noona knows everything,” Taemin said cheekily, grabbing the drink from her hand and taking a sip. She laughed and held her hand out for the drink again, but Key took it instead.

“Yum,” he said with the straw in his mouth and she rolled her eyes.

“Do I have to go back and get five more?”

“Would you mind?!” Taemin exclaimed and she laughed, shaking her head.

“Alright, orders now, I’ll figure a way to carry it all.”

“I’ll come,” Onew suggested and she agreed, the two setting off for the coffee shop again.

 

It was quiet between them as they walked to the café, Onew glancing at the brunette every now and then. He didn’t know what to say, he had wanted to get Rochelle alone for so long now, but now that they were, it was almost awkward.

They stepped inside the café and placed their order, the barista giving Rochelle a weird look for her second appearance. Moving over to the side so the woman could serve the person behind them; Rochelle looked at him and then giggled. “I finally realised what is different today!”

“What?”

“Your eyes are blue,” she told him and he smiled.

“I put my coloured contacts in for a change.”

“I have to admit your eyes look really nice that colour,” she complimented and peered at them again. “But I like them natural too.”

“Oh?”

“I like dark eyes.”

Onew laughed. “And everyone I know likes blue ones.”

“Mine are a weird colour,” she mentioned and Onew nodded.

“They change a lot.”

“You noticed that huh?”

He blushed. “I notice a lot about you.”

“Really?” Rochelle asked and then stepped forward as they were called to take their order. Onew slipped his sunglasses back over his eyes and then took the tray of drinks, walking back outside with the girl.

“It’s not hard to notice things about you Rochelle,” he finally answered, and watched her cheeks turn rosy. It made him smile; he liked the colour against her pale skin.

“What’s with all the compliments?”

“You started it with my eyes.”

“I guess that’s true,” she replied with a giggle and then sighed. “I’m glad we’re getting along again, it makes my job easier.”

“Right, your job,” Onew repeated and Rochelle glanced up at him from behind her sunglasses.

“Is everything okay Onew?”

“Sure.” He glanced away and was thankful for their arrival at the radio station again. It hadn’t gone the way he thought it would when he first suggested going with her to the café, and he wanted to change the subject quickly.

He would just have to find another time.

 

It was later that evening and SHINee had been working on their new routine in the practise room for several hours. He was feeling pretty tired now, but as they planned to do a medley of some more songs off their new album, Onew felt like he needed to put in more work. He was better at singing than dancing, although he kept up well with the routines created for them. The perfectionist in him knew he had to get this right, and practising it was the only way to. He started the music up again and launched into the routine, watching his reflection in the wall length mirrors. He was sweating, and his salty lips, trying to keep pushing himself through the steps. The doors opened and he used the mirrors to see who it was, his dancing stopping as the girl blushed profusely.

“I realised I left my laptop here and had to come back for it,” Rochelle mentioned and Onew nodded, lifting his top up and wiping his face with it. He stopped the music and waited for Rochelle to make a move. She didn’t however and he felt the same feeling he had a lot lately, his body becoming alert and a million thoughts raced through his mind. Finally Rochelle broke away from their gaze and pointed at her bag. “There it is. I’ll be out of your way now.”

“Wait,” he called as went to retrieve her belongings, and she froze, Onew walking over to her side. She glanced up at him and blinked once before becoming transfixed with his face.

“What Jinki?” she almost whispered and he struggled to keep himself from reaching for her right there and then at the sound of his real name coming from her lips. He knew there was something between them, but he didn’t want to frighten her with his emotions either.

“I just wanted to say something,” he answered, his chest heaving from the nerves he suddenly felt.

“What is it?”

“I forgot,” he honestly said and they shared a laugh, breaking the spell over them. Rochelle smiled at him and went to grab her bag, Onew cursing inwardly at his lack of displaying his affection. Maybe it’s too soon to react, he thought to himself as he watched her grab the bag and sling it on her shoulder. Onew thought of how Key had backed off of his admiration for the girl, but he wasn’t sure if it was completely diminished, and suddenly he found himself wrestling with his rationality, wanting to kiss Rochelle, but also wanting to wait for a bit longer. She turned around and frowned at his expression, walking back over.

“You look troubled.”

“I am,” he said and her eyes became concerned. “You’re troubling me.”

“I don’t understand, have I done something wrong again?” she questioned, and he shook his head. “Then what Onew?”

“You don’t feel it?” he asked and she chewed her bottom lip, flickering her eyes over to the wall to escape his gaze. “So you’re avoiding it then.”

“I shouldn’t even feel the way I do, I’m working with you.”

“I trust that we can figure a way though,” he replied and she shook her head.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea Jinki.”

He grabbed her hand and felt it tremble in his grip. “This whole situation is driving us crazy.”

“It will only get more complicated if we do anything though,” she stated and he sighed.

“There’s no hope?”

Rochelle glanced down at the floor. “I don’t know what to say.”

“Then don’t say anything,” he instructed, taking a deep breath before reaching for her face. He didn’t hesitate, his lips connecting with hers a moment later. Overwhelming sensations hit him with full force as she kissed him back, his hands moving down her arms and encircling her waist. Rochelle’s went to his damp hair and her fingers clutched at the strands, her body leaning towards his. She then suddenly pulled away, shaking her head.

“Jinki.”

“Don’t,” he pleaded, brushing the hair out of her eyes. “Just let us have this moment, please.”

She searched his eyes for a moment and then gently removed his arms from her waist. “I’m sorry,” she said, rushing out of the practise room.

___________

Words Used....

Jinki: Onew’s real name is Lee Jinki.