Wonderful Tonight

Dear Love: Playlist

 

Wonderful Tonight

 

Krystal got back to Seoul at about eight thirty. She has been calling Jessica all day and has not received a call back. She grew worried. Her secretary told her she left the office at around noon and has not come back. She wasn’t at home either.

Was she with Sunny? She thought, but even that got dismissed when she remembered Jessica was doing her best not to be conspicuous.

She opened her 4G and checked her Twitter feed, hoping to find clues to her sister’s whereabouts. There was some sort of freshman welcome at the University. Is there any possibility that she attended at the concert and after party? It didn’t sound like her, but there was nothing to do but to assume at this point.

She tapped the driver ahjussi and told him to pass by the hotel before heading home. Besides, she has not had anything to eat since breakfast. If her sister was there, then she’d be put to rest; and if not, then she’ll be having dinner.

The car stopped in front of the lobby. She exited the vehicle with her assistants and told them to grab a table while handing them her credit card. She gave them the impression that she wanted to be alone. They reluctantly agreed.

A trademark feature of the Hwang Hotels is that they always have a beautiful veranda. This particular one was overlooking the Han River lightshow. It was pretty to look at. She only caught glimpses when they happen to pass by during late night meetings. Most of the time they did, she was half asleep on Jessica’s shoulders.

The bursts of light moved with the shooting water, twisting in different directions in a synchronized ballet of colors; it was a refreshing sight to see. Jessica never took her out to see it because they were too busy with work and school; but what can you do about that? It’s not like she had a choice.

Krystal took her phone out and dialed her sister. It rung for about ten seconds this time; then went straight to voice mail. She can feel her spine tingle. Where was she? She didn’t feel her sister was at the other end of that call. Despite the ill water that surrounded them, she wanted to feel her presence.

She took Yoona’s gift and flung the top over. A small flame danced on her hand.

She took a deep breath and dialed another number. It rang and someone picked up at the other end.

“Unnie?” There was no answer. Was it because of a bad connection? “Unnie, I just want to ask something. Do you have time?”

There wasn’t any static on the line, just dead air.

“Unnie, I’m at the hotel can you…” She continued, but then she heard the phone beep and saw that she got hung up. Krystal scratched her head. “Ah, this .” Frustrated, she redialed:

No rings. Not even voicemail.

She stomped her feet on the wooden planks in frustration. If there was something she and Jessica had in common, it was their impatience to learn.

She went inside to the dining hall. Her staff was already at the table and the food was already being served. But before she can take a step to join them, she overheard a conversation.

“I want the security tightened.” The man said. “I’ve received a report that Lee Soonkyu is in the building. I don’t want another ketchup mural on my walls again.”

Could it be, our Lee Soonkyu? She thought. Krystal’s body pivoted, searching for the voice. It was a man in a black suit. When the other men around him dispersed, she went up to him, not caring who he was.

When he turned, she saw a glistening name plate on his chest: Hwang Rioh, Manager. Leo, like the lion? Isn't that a western name? He wasn’t those old middle aged businessmen who had experience. He looked young, about in his early twenties.

“Oh, my mistake.” She excused herself. What are the odds that it was the same Soonkyu?

He looked at her. “Jung Soojung? What are you doing here? Where’s your sister?”

“How do you know who I am, and my sister?” She asked, startled at the man’s knowledge.

The man pulled her to the side near where the elevators are. “Have you seen Lee Jinkyu? You know her, right? Can you help me find her?” He completely ignored her question. Never the less, she took her phone and started dialing her Sunny’s elder sister.

Rings. Then voicemail. Figures.

She looked at the man. “I can’t reach her.”

Leo gave her a card. “If you see her, call me. She’s looking for her lost sister here. I don’t know what’s going to happen, but I can feel bad air. Please help me prevent that.”

She gulped. Is that the reason she hung up after knowing they were both at the hotel? Is it because she thought I’d rat her out? Why would she even think of that?

Krystal nodded and waited for the man to leave. She felt alone and scared. For the first time in her life, her sister’s arms weren’t there to comfort her.

“Unni.” She cried.

•••••••

Tiffany was running up a flight of stairs. She wanted to come clean tonight, but Taeyeon ran out on her. She was panicked, confused out of her mind and scared. She was so eager to explore the world that she forgot what really mattered most to her.

Her eyes were red from crying, her face was white as sheet and her legs felt like it was about to burst. She grabbed on to the railings and looked at the floor sign: Twenty fourth floor. Seven more levels to the Skybar.

It was a place frequented by their VIP guests because of the privacy. Complete with the most exquisite view of the city, it was the perfect party place for the University’s upper class.

There were two ways to get there: The elevator from the upper lobby, where the suites were located and the fire exit. Before she went here with Taecyeon, her brother sent her a series of disturbing texts.

[From Leo Hwang:] Stephanie, where are you?

[From Leo Hwang:] Sis, answer your phone. It’s about your new roommate. She’s the sister of Lee Jinkyu, CEO of Seoul Radio.

[From Leo Hwang:] Answer the phone, sis. Stay away from Sunny.

[From Leo Hwang:] Tiffany, stay at home, OK? Let big bro take care of this. Where’s Taeyeon? She’s not answering either. Call me.

How did her brother even found out about Sunny? She took a deep breath and started climbing the stairs again. If her Leo pieced the puzzle already, she was going to explain things to him… But not until she meets with Taeyeon. She was her priority. It should always be like that. She knew that now.

Taecyeon made her realize that she has been wrong all this time. To suppress her feelings before she believed her well being was at stake, it was probably the most painful experience she subjected Taeyeon to. She kept rejecting her because she didn’t trust their relationship enough; that their love was nothing but an immature joke that they would soon grow out of after meeting the right people.

Taecyeon. Behind that stupid, awkward smile was the most honest person she met, she should learn from him, but for now…

She opened the door to the bar. She knew the door would lock once the door touched the frame, so she taped the hinge. She knew their hotels like the back of her hand. No one was here yet. This was perfect for her. Once Taeyeon gets in, she can just grab her and go home. They would go unnoticed because the Skybar and fire exit was one of the parts of the hotel that was camera free. Leo wouldn’t even notice them come in.

She heard voices from behind the wall, so she pressed her back to it. If the staff recognized her, it’ll be all over.

“I think it’s the perfect plan.” The girl said.

“I guess there’s really no way that I can get her back, huh?” A boy answered. She can hear him slurring a bit, like he was drinking nonstop for hours.

“Why are you still thinking of that?” The girl asked. “She’s love with someone else, Leeteuk. Stop being a martyr. She’s not choosing you over her.”

Leeteuk? Tiffany thought. She knelt down and poked her head out; making sure the shadows covered her face. He was talking to a barmaid. From the last time he saw him, he looked more mature. He grew a small beard and the roots of his hair were growing dark. It was like he was slowly growing out of the matching blonde hair he and Taeyeon dyed months ago.

She sat behind the wall. Even Leeteuk wants to talk to her now. She weighed her options, she wanted to get Taeyeon back, but she also knew that Leeteuk’s feelings were important.

For the first time, she decided on someone’s happiness more than her own. She was going to let Leeteuk take the first dance. It was a selfless decision she made, knowing that in the end, he would hand Taeyeon over for the final song.

She now understood what trust meant. It was one of the key ingredients to a healthy relationship. Tiffany only wished she knew about that sooner.

Her fingers opened the lock on her phone. She wondered how everyone suddenly knew where Taeyeon was going to be. Since they moved to Seoul, people on Twitter knew what her celebrity friend was doing before she did. It was unsettling.

About a couple of dozen pictures of her best friend watching, dancing and posing with random fans on the concert. She felt a quick dose of jealousy being injected in her system. It was annoying to see. So she switched the application off and checked the time. Ten o’clock. In a few minutes, the seniors would be flooding this floor along with the freshmen that they thought were ‘interesting’. Undoubtedly, Taeyeon will be one of them.

Soon, the room filled with students. She was safe to walk around because the crowd gave her the cover she needed. Tiffany went from one corner of the room to another. She wasn’t here. She opened her Twitter and refreshed her feeds.

DJ Taengoo @DearLoveKTY                    [2 mins]
OTW for an after party! :)))) Met a lot of cool peas.
#HappyKid

She was relieved that she wasn’t wrong in predicting where she was going. Taeyeon avoided her calls, but she just couldn’t stay away from social media, can she? It made stalking her much easier.

Just when she thought she could take a break, she saw a familiar streak of short yellow hair make her way to the VIP area. Was it really her? She completely forgot about the comments her brother had for her. Sure, Taeyeon was number one; but she also shared a connection with her. She ran after the small girl, knowing she was in some sort of trouble.

When Tiffany got to the exclusive tables, she saw several couples making out on the couch. She seemed to have startled them so she bowed in embarrassment. Her eyes quickly searched for Sunny. She wasn’t here. She turned, thinking that might’ve just been seeing things. Her brother was on high alert for her roommate. She wasn’t going to reach the Skybar without tripping over a few alarms.

She lifted her head and she felt a shockwave of fear sear through her body.

The fire exit! She thought. She opened the door and looked downstairs. She shouldn’t have made it far if she went that way; but there was no sign of her anywhere, which could only mean one thing. She climbed the last set of stairs and pried the door open.

A white coat was on the floor of the rooftop and she can see Sunny looking at the stars while her arms were in spread eagle, like she was pretending to fly in the air. It was cute. She momentarily wondered where she got the clothes she was wearing. She has never seen it before.

But then Tiffany heard the door shut them out, she completely forgot that the doors to the emergency escape locks automatically. Her hand immediately performed a loud face palm. It made Sunny turn to her.

They both stared at each other, processing the fact they had just made a decision against their steamy sessions hours ago; but the fact that they were alone made their insides tingle.

For Tiffany, this was a test of conviction; but for Sunny, it was a taste of redemption.

The redhead picked Sunny’s coat off the floor and went up to her. She let it fall on the smaller girl’s petite shoulders. It was freezing cold outside and Tiffany made the worst decision of leaving her jacket with Taecyeon as she avoided the camera studded and staff ridden entrance to make her way up the security free stairs.

She buttoned the blonde’s coat from the top, darting her eyes away from her torso when she helped cover Sunny up. Tiffany wasn’t ever going to play games with her anymore, no matter how enticing she might be. Her thoughtfulness only came because she found the shorter girl’s cleavage too distracting.

“You’ve changed.” Sunny said.

“Yeah.” She gave her a faint smile.

Sunny embraced her. She was sad that it had to end like this; but she can sense Tiffany’s determination to restore their friendship so she can pursue Taeyeon instead. She didn’t want to get in the way, but she had to tell her how much she meant to her. So she whispered a soft ‘Saranghae’ to her ears, knowing that she gave it her best shot.

Tiffany’s hugged her back. “Gomawo.”

They felt all the tension they had fade to the cold air that summoned the heat of summer. Spring was a time of to start anew, but new beginnings always come with goodbyes. Most people feel bitter about it; but for both girls, it felt rather pleasant.

Tiffany pulled away, knowing that it wasn’t safe to stay in an area where a big gust of wind can easily send them both to the edge of the building. She asked if they can sit near the door and Sunny agreed. She felt the wall cover them from the strong chilled currents; so she was a bit relieved. She sent Taecyeon a text to get to the rooftop because they were stuck.

“Shut up.” Sunny shouted.

Tiffany blinked. “I’m sorry?”

“Nothing.” She violently shook her head. Tiffany sat down first. She saw Sunny look around before she followed her lead.

A few minutes passed and the climate seeped into her skin; Sunny noticed this and took off her coat. She asked Tiffany to position her back to her so she can keep her warm.

“Press your back closer.”

When Sunny’s arms locked their bodies together, Tiffany was already shivering uncontrollably. Her lips chapped and holding her hands felt like she was carrying ice. This was bad, really bad.

“Rest your head here.” Sunny guided Tiffany’s head to her shoulder and pressed her cheeks against hers. They can smell each other’s scent even more than the expensive perfume that the coat had.

Tiffany’s body was the kind that never produced enough heat on her own. That’s why she was always comfortable sleeping beside someone.

Sunny suddenly remembered something. She reached out for pockets and clicked open a lighter. “Put your hands out.” She said. Tiffany’s frostbitten hands went near the fire. She was starting to warm up.

When she was in the right mind to move again, Tiffany moved her hands away from the flame. She was shocked to see the design of the metallic box. Her hand immediately went to grab it.

“Why do you have this?”

Sunny blinked. Mwo? Why is she asking that?

Tiffany heart raced. Why did she have Taeyeon’s lighter? It was one of her most treasured possessions. Did she trust her that much to give it to her? Or was she sending her a message? Taeyeon always did things poetically but she had no problem deciphering that before…

Before they grew apart.

Now that she thought about it, she never carried the thing around anymore.

Sunny snatched the lighter back to her palm. “What do you mean? This is mine.”

Tiffany briefly considered that it might just look similar but dismissed it. What could’ve pushed Taeyeon to giving her that lighter? What was she telling her? Was Sunny important to Taengoo as well? The thought annoyed her, but could it just be that…

She’s telling me to trust Sunny! Tiffany realized. Taeyeon must know something about why Leo wanted her to steer clear from the short haired girl; and she bet her prized lighter on it!

“Uhm… Nothing. Nevermind.” Tiffany said.

“Araseo.” Sunny said as she tucked back in her pocket. “If you say so.”

“So, why are you here?” Tiffany asked.

“Concerned?” She smiled.

“No, I mean. Yes but… I’m just curious where you went and stuff.” Tiffany said, she rubbed her hands with Sunny’s under the coat to keep warm. “You completely bailed out on us.”

“Oh, I just… Walked around.” Sunny lied.

“And it led you to our roof?” She tilted her head.

“Your roof?” Sunny giggled. “What, now suddenly this place yours?”

Tiffany shrugged, but she was smiling when she did it. Sunny’s jaw dropped. “It… It is, isn’t it?”

“I’m not too big about it.” She said. “It shouldn’t be that big of a deal to you either, Ms. Seoul Radio.”

“Of course, it’s a big deal to me. I thought you were ordinary!” Sunny shouted.

“What, being born as a Hwang suddenly made me abnormal?” She pouted. “How about you, being a Lee? Is that normal? Besides, it’s not like you were being completely honest either. Why did you hide something as important as that from me?”

“We probably have the same reasons.”

“Touché.” Tiffany was happy they were now having a normal friendly conversation again. “But why did you leave home in the first place? You live right across Han River, for Pete’s sake! You’re throwing away money.”

They heard the door swing open and made them both jump. They looked at each other with smug faces. They’re saved! They thought as they stood up and dusted the dirt from their pants.

“Cheese Louise! Taecyeon you’re as slow as a…” Tiffany stopped when she saw a woman in front of them.

“… Unnie.” Sunny said, her voice cringed.

Lee Jinkyu was pointing a gun at them.