Prologue

Dear Love: Playlist

 

Prologue

 

Click. Click. Click. Her camera went. On burst mode, she can have this baby take multiple shots within a second! If you press and hold the arrow button on view mode, it would look as if you were looking at a video and not a series of photos. She can barely grasp the Canon 7D but it was her weapon of choice, wrapped carefully around her dainty hand with a colorful hand strap.

The girl was short and had her brown hair up so that it'd be out of her way when she shot pictures. She kept her head down and slowly made her way closer to her target. She moved like a lioness that had preyed on its next meal.

Hana... Dul... She counted. It was a hard shot. Especially since the subject was so small, the lady bug had a single blue dot to its side. She read somewhere that one out of a million red colored animals was colored blue. It was a phenomenon similar to being Albino. What are the odds of her seeing a million lady bugs before she could see another blue spotted one?

She eased toward her target slowly. It was hovering over a stargazer, probably hoping to nestle on its petals and feed on its dew. Burst is going to work perfectly on this one! She concentrated on the insect so much that she can feel the air move when the bug flapped its wings.

"LEE SOONKYU!"

Sunny suddenly lost her balance. Her body hurled forward, soiling her new jeans. When she looked up, the startled insect moved to another flower that was high up from where she’s at.

"YA!" She shouted, whipping her hair as she turned to where the sullied screech came from. Her heart wanted to explode. Specimens like that were rare!

 The other girl hugged her from behind, pulling Sunny up while laughing. "Ya! What are you doing, playing on the ground like this?"

"None of your beeswax, Ssika." She said, dispelling Jessica's arms from her hips to face the other girl. She clicked the camera on her friends face just as she turned, capturing her most unflattering pose. "I hope you looked pretty on that last shot. I'm posting this on Facebook."

"Hey!" Jessica frowned as she tried to grab a hold of the device but Sunny had turned it off and tucked it in her bag before she can reach it. "Give it, you little piece of !"

They were both roaring in laughter now. In front of others, they were ladies. Their hair and makeup fixed as executives of the media hungry world. They were thought to demand respect since they belonged to families that were known to the industry. When they were alone though, they cussed and cursed all they want, releasing the pent up stress they had to endure at an early age.

" please." Sunny giggled. "You're not in the position to call me that. I wore insoles today."

If it were like this every day, hanging out like normal girls would or attending school like normal girls did, they would be happier. It wasn't a guarantee, but the thought of being someone ordinary was enticing. The only true perk of being daughters of highly acclaimed producers were the almost unlimited supply of credit cards available in their name.

In their rough housing, Jessica had accidentally hit Sunny with her elbow, forcing the smaller girl on back to the ground.

"Oh my God! Sunny, I’m sorry!" She said as she pulled her friend up. "Gwenchana?"

Am I OK? You hit me so hard I fell on the ground and you... Sunny thought, but then she probed her nose and the back of her head. No blood. She felt no pain at all.

"Oh Sunny, are you wondering why it doesn't hurt?" Jessica grinned.

"Ssikashi, did you...?" Sunny asked, her hand twitching... She knew where this was going.

"Oh, Sunny bunny..." She chuckled. "If you wanted to feel pain, maybe you should wake up?"

SLAP!

Sunny's eyes fluttered open. She was back in the cold and dark apartment she used to call home. She can smell the stench unwashed dishes from the kitchen. The wind that blew from the window kissed her prickling cheek; reminding her that in this world, she could be hurt.

"Are you even listening?" Her sister, Jinkyu, had been talking her head off so Sunny can understand the logic of not allowing her to attend the skateboard competition earlier today. When she started, Sunny only lowered her head, pretending to listen to her; but her sister caught on when she noticed Sunny didn't respond to curses and name calling.

"Lee Soonkyu, I told you not to go to places like this again." She shouted. "What if you get kidnapped? It’s a miracle they didn't point a gun at you! You walked around, carrying that blasted camera that can cost you your life. ARE YOU CRAZY?"

Although fuming with anger, Sunny didn't dare speak against her older sister. Photography was her life.

Her sister took a handful of her hair and tugged it, then rammed her against wall, cursing out words that made Sunny go deaf. She violently pushed her down the floor when she grew tired to explaining.

"You're the only person that I have. Why can't you understand that?"

Teary eyed, Jinkyu stormed to her room, slamming the door shut. Sunny can hear echoes of the metal inside the walls ring on her ears. Their house was finally silent.

It’s been four years since the accident but every single day after that, Sunny woke up to a nightmare. Whenever she remembers it, she wanted to close her eyes and go back to sleep because in her dreams, her parents were alive. They'd take them to theme parks and movie houses; buy them things they like and food to eat. Both of her sisters were alive as well, doing homework or fighting for dominance over the remote. Sunny would be happy just being in the same room as them, even if it was in her dreams.

When she was young, she never thought her family had problems. She went to school, got good grades and then came back to a family that already had dinner set on the table. She grew up like that, not minding any of the issues that her family had. They never told her, she didn't mind that at all.

The Lee's have been a driving force in providing South Korea with radio based entertainment. Politics aside, it was a good place for budding artists.

Budding artists. She thought. Her sisters had agreed to train their youngest sister to be a singer, an idol; but that would never happen. Not when everyone was six feet under... Oh wait… She thought. You're there, aren't you?

Three metal vases, sealed tightly.

Sunny picked herself up and limped to her room. Jinkyu had really done it this time. She grunted as she walked to her room and immediately laid down her bed. She reached out for her iPhone but then the bed was lulling her to sleep. Her grip loosened, letting it fall on the carpet. Instead, she shut her eyes and cried.

It was when Sunny fell asleep that her phone lit:

[Sicachu:] Sunkyu, Starbucks tom k. dont be late.